JTJet

IF we roll with Sam Darnold, how do we realistically right the ship?

Trev talk needs to calm down, seriously. Until we secure the #1 AND he declares, nothing is set in stone. 

Sam Darnold will also, in no way, be traded before that moment happens, so miss me with that. 

I want to know what YOU would do, realistically, if we run with Sam Darnold, and dont have the #1 pick. It's a real possibility. 

What coach, OC, FAs, and Draftees, would you surround him with? 

1) Coach (Jim Harbaugh, JD be damned)

2) 3 Realistic FA options on offense. (Allen Robinson, Joe Thuney, and Mo Alie-Cox)

3) 2 Realistic 1st Rd draft options on offense (Ja'Marr Chase and Travis Etienne)

• Thumb Down 1

Fix the OL the right way this time. 

Draft  WR JaMaar Chase.

Draft  RB Travis Etienne. 

Sign in free agency WR Ju-Ju Smith Schuster. 

Sign or draft a viable TE. 

Hire the best QB coach money can buy to fix all thats wrong. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Trev talk needs to calm down, seriously. Until we secure the #1 AND he declares, nothing is set in stone. 

Sam Darnold will also, in no way, be traded before that moment happens, so miss me with that. 

I want to know what YOU would do, realistically, if we run with Sam Darnold, and dont have the #1 pick. It's a real possibility. 

2) 3 Realistic FA options on offense. (Allen Robinson, Joe Thuney, and Mo Alie-Cox)

3) 2 Realistic 1st Rd draft options on offense (Ja'Marr Chase and Travis Etienne)

This is going to greatly depend on how Darnold finishes the season. If he keeps playing as he has this season, I think he gets traded Trevor or no Trevor. If he somehow turns things around and starts to play like a future NFL QB, there might be a conversation about getting him more help. It's hard to think positive about him right now after that horrible game he just played. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

It is my opinion that the Jets need to continue to upgrade the offensive line, get a top flight running back and #1 wide receiver.  That sounds like a lot, because it is.  

I believe that if the Jets have the 1st pick in the draft, We need to trade to get multiple 1st round picks, along with the Seattle picks, and draft another stud offensive tackle, wide receiver, and pass rusher.  Concentrate on 2nd round and 3rd round offensive interior lineman, and another running back and tight end if Herndon is not the player he once was.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, BROOKLYN JET said:

Rolling with Darnold should not be an option.

Yep.  Even in the unlikely event the Jets don't end up taking a QB high in the 2021 draft, we should still just trade Darnold and roll with James Morgan (or an alternative option).

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Even in the unlikely event the Jets don't end up taking a QB high in the 2021 draft, we should still just trade Darnold and roll with James Morgan (or an alternative option).

Fields would be a better option than Darnold IMO.

• Upvote 4

Just now, BROOKLYN JET said:

Fields would be a better option than Darnold IMO.

Agreed.  If we're picking in the top 2-3 spots, we should end up with a QB regardless.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Draft  WR JaMaar Chase.

Don't forget pass rusher and some secondary help.

So many holes to fill 

4 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Don't forget pass rusher and some secondary help.

So many holes to fill 

But we're not allowed to draft defense for 5 years!

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

But we're not allowed to draft defense for 5 years!

Crap. I thought that was just for DTs.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

This assumes the Jets don't Draft in the Top 2....

1)  Not sure.  I'm in the minority that thinks if the Jets miss out on the #1 (or even #2) pick Gase will end up staying another season and continue to work with Darnold.  A vacant Jets Head Coach job in a situation where the Jets do not have the #1 pick will be a very, very tough sell.  Coming to work for the Johnsons with a potential lame duck QB in Darnold and a sh!t roster will be the last job anyone wants.  I know that I don't want a recycled former HC though (no McCarthy, Gase, etc. types anymore).  A fresh thinker, innovator who might make some mistakes along the way is fine with me.  You mentioned Harbaugh.  I'm 50/50 on him.

2) OLine is the priority (STILL) IMO.  For some reason JD didn't really fix anything other than some expensive band-aids (McGovern, Fant, etc.).  There are still at least 3 upgrades to make on that line.  If one of them is Thuney then so be it.  Becton looks like the only keeper beyond the 2021 season.

3. Draft a weapon early (WR) or trade back from #3, 4 or 5 to accumulate more picks, maybe even a 1st in 2022 so that the Jets could then have THREE 1sts and another shot at trading up for a new QB.  There are also a couple of late 1st round TEs who look like studs.  TE will be a focus.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Draft  WR JaMaar Chase.

Let's say we do all that and Darnold throws for 35 TD, runs for a couple more TD, has around 18 INT, throws for 4400 yards and around a 60% completion rate would you say that we can invest long term in Darnold?

2 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Let's say we do all that and Darnold throws for 35 TD, runs for a couple more TD, has around 18 INT, throws for 4400 yards and around a 60% completion rate would you say that we can invest long term in Darnold?

Whats the NY Jets record did we make the playoffs and how far. 

I will be shocked if Darnold is here next year but, playing along, a quality offensive coach and OL help. In this fantasy world, a WR with our first pick and OL with Seattle's 1st. I'll be surprised if Douglas ever spends a Top 50 pick on a running back; I believe he's from the school of thought that values OL over RB and that any JAG in the backfield can get the job done. There are also enough talented RBs to be had in the 3rd round.

With the way Darnold is playing this season, the Jets need to consider replacing him no matter where they are picking. 

The only way Darnold is here next year is: 1) We win enough to miss out on Lawrence, Fields, and Lance, and 2) He plays well in the second half of the season - as in a lot better than he has played in any game this season, thus far.

Basically, Sam needs to have a magical turnaround or it's over for him here. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Whats the NY Jets record did we make the playoffs and how far. 

5-11, no playoffs.

Darnold year 4 would be a repeat of this season, except without the coach taking all the heat

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Like it.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We get it. You hate him. But this option is not the better one. If the team improved the with the personnel the OP and next few suggested you would definitely see improvement. If Sam doesn’t then turn it around the team is no worse off.

I find it very hard to believe with new coach etc etc JM out plays SD. If Sam Continues to Suck you don’t pick up his option. You draft best possible available the next year and start over at the position.  

Having said all this ( yeah- I get it) for the purposes of this post I’m not suppose to...  If the Jets do end up with the #1?? And he’s willing to come. You grab TL and put Sam on a bus ASAP.

32 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This assumes the Jets don't Draft in the Top 2....

1)  Not sure.  I'm in the minority that thinks if the Jets miss out on the #1 (or even #2) pick Gase will end up staying another season and continue to work with Darnold.  A vacant Jets Head Coach job in a situation where the Jets do not have the #1 pick will be a very, very tough sell.  Coming to work for the Johnsons with a potential lame duck QB in Darnold and a sh!t roster will the last job anyone wants.  I know that I don't want recycled former HC though (no McCarthy, Gase, etc. types anymore).  A fresh thinker, innovator who might make some mistakes along the way is fine with me.  You mentioned Harbaugh.  I'm 50/50 on him.

2) OLine is the priority (STILL) IMO.  For some reason JD didn't really fix anything other than some expensive band-aids (McGovern, Fant, etc.).  There are still at least 3 upgrades to made on that line.  If one of them is Thuney then so be it.  Becton looks like the only keeper beyond the 2021 season.

3. Draft a weapon early (WR) or trade back from #3, 4 or 5 to accumulate more picks, maybe even a 1st in 2022 so that the Jets could then have THREE 1sts and another shot at trading up for a new QB.  There are also a couple of last 1st round TEs who look like studs.  TE will be a focus.

This is fair. 

I also think TE has to be something of a priority, our lack of a TE safety blanket has been a glaring omission for years. 

3 minutes ago, Gibby said:

We get it. You hate him. But this option is not the better one. If the team improved the with the personnel the OP and next few suggested you would definitely see improvement. If Sam doesn’t then turn it around the team is no worse off.

I find it very hard to believe with new coach etc etc JM out plays SD. If Sam Continues to Suck you don’t pick up his option. You draft best possible available the next year and start over at the position.  

Having said all this ( yeah- I get it) for the purposes of this post I’m not suppose to...  If the Jets do end up with the #1?? And he’s willing to come. You grab TL and put Sam on a bus ASAP.

I don't hate HIM.  I hate that he sucks at football.

I don't hate HIM.  I hate that he sucks at football.

He hasn’t been good. I agree. Not good at all. But I just can see how Morgan is the better option. Better than Flacco?? Sure!! Would’ve rather seen him there. 

1 minute ago, Gibby said:

He hasn’t been good. I agree. Not good at all. But I just can see how Morgan is the better option. Better than Flacco?? Sure!! Would’ve rather seen him there. 

He's not necessarily the better option.  But its better to trade Darnold for whatever we can get rather than letting him walk as a free agent following the 2021 season.

18 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

5-11, no playoffs.

No way we cant continue being a bottom feeder NFL team. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Draft  WR JaMaar Chase.

/End thread

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Rolling with Darnold should not be an option.

This.

Darnold doesn't have it, sorry.  He's got Sanchez' brain and Pennington's body.

SAR I

• Haha 1

He's not necessarily the better option.  But its better to trade Darnold for whatever we can get rather than letting him walk as a free agent following the 2021 season.

If he brought back a good pick?? Sure. I don’t really see it. People who think he’ll bring in a 1 or 2 are fooling themselves. 

To me for what the Jets traded to get him and where he was selected he’d have to net a 1 or 2 or I wouldn’t do it. That’s me.. 

3 minutes ago, Gibby said:

If he brought back a good pick?? Sure. I don’t really see it. People who think he’ll bring in a 1 or 2 are fooling themselves. 

To me for what the Jets traded to get him and where he was selected he’d have to net a 1 or 2 or I wouldn’t do it. That’s me.. 

The most he could bring back is a 3rd round compensatory selection (unlikely).  So I'd be willing to take a 3 or even a 4 for Darnold in that light. 

He's not going to be a crucial piece on the 2021 roster so who cares?  Will 1 more year out of him be worth giving up on draft assets?

That ship has sailed and nose dived straight into the Atlantic.

I don’t give a sh*t if you miss out on Lawrence/Fields and have to make a play for someone like Prescott or even Winston.

Bottom line, you move on.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The most he could bring back is a 3rd round compensatory selection (unlikely).  So I'd be willing to take a 3 or even a 4 for Darnold in that light. 

He's not going to be a crucial piece on the 2021 roster so who cares?  Will 1 more year out of him be worth giving up on draft assets?

Not crazy. I get your point. I still stand by my scenario though. Never know.. perhaps a team gets an injured QB in camp and a desperate GM has a coach who thinks he can fix him and we get a 1 for him. 👍

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

jonah hill no GIF

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

That ship has sailed and nose dived straight into the Atlantic.

I don’t give a sh*t if you miss out on Lawrence/Fields and have to make a play for someone like Prescott or even Winston.

Bottom line, you move on.

Can we have two different candidates please? Like Dak but for the price tag he’s asking? That’s a hard no for me. And Winston would make everyone vomit.

Don't hate the idea. Had you said Matt Ryan? Then sure.

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

jonah hill no GIF

200.gif

• Haha 1

If the Jets cannot draft high enough to draft Darnold's replacement, if I am JD I am building a team and keeping Darnold next year for $6mm and giving him a shot.  

Can take the 5th year option or franchise him if he works out.  

Sign a Veteran to push him.  

If someone offers something good for him, trade him.

But for what he is owed in salary, it is worth giving him another chance with a better team and hopefully better coach.