IF we roll with Sam Darnold, how do we realistically right the ship?

JTJet

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This assumes the Jets don't Draft in the Top 2....

1)  Not sure.  I'm in the minority that thinks if the Jets miss out on the #1 (or even #2) pick Gase will end up staying another season and continue to work with Darnold.  A vacant Jets Head Coach job in a situation where the Jets do not have the #1 pick will be a very, very tough sell.  Coming to work for the Johnsons with a potential lame duck QB in Darnold and a sh!t roster will be the last job anyone wants.  I know that I don't want a recycled former HC though (no McCarthy, Gase, etc. types anymore).  A fresh thinker, innovator who might make some mistakes along the way is fine with me.  You mentioned Harbaugh.  I'm 50/50 on him.

Minority? I guess most of us fans are dumb because that's nothing but the truth lol. That's why Gase is trying his hardest to win 4-5 games. Just happens he's a terrible HC who chases away any talent worth anything. It's sink or swim for him. If he goes 0-16 so be it, he fired himself for his shoddy performance and we benefit with the #1 pick. 

Actually... If we're 0-14 and clinched the pick you minus well fire him and see if an interim coach can win us a game or 2. Who knows, maybe Sam could win if he was allowed to audible by coach God Complex. 

I don’t think Darnold will be a jet in 2021, but if he is:

1) JD will trade the jets first round pick for a later pick in the first round and additional pick(s). Then in the first three rounds JD will Draft a C and either a T or G depending on whether Clark shows he can start at G next year; a Running Back (preferably a bigger one who can move the pile); a Tight End and a WR. No D picks until 4th round or later.

2) no big FA signings other than making a real run at Shuster-Smith because it will be all about helping Sam succeed.

3) Hire Matt Campbell. He is a team builder/culture changer. If you like Jim Harbaugh, Campbell is the same type of HC.