Film Review: Sam misses a wide open Mims for a TD

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Seems like we have a lot of these misses popping up this year with Sam where he’s not seeing the receiver or not throwing it. Happened week 1 with Crowder on the scramble drill, and he also missed a wide open Jeff Smith on a slant route in the Denver game. Here’s another miss. Not sure what’s up with him and why he’s regressed so much. But he’s obviously having trouble making his reads this year 

So Darnold is supposed to see all 6 wideouts in 1.5 seconds On every snap?  This is a stupid analysis. At LOS and at snap there were 3 guys covering 3 guys to his left. He looked Right and when he worked though his PROGRESSION Mims was no longer open. That’s Mims route. Run to sideline 5 yards downfield. What a route tree. Geezuz. The fat kid who couldn’t run ran that route when we played. 

Edited by DarnoldHomer
  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 8

7 minutes ago, DarnoldHomer said:

So Darnold is supposed to see all 6 wideouts in 1.5 seconds On every snap?  This is a stupid analysis. At LOS and at snap there were 3 guys covering 3 guys to his left. He looked Right and when he worked though his PROGRESSION Mims was no longer open. That’s Mims route. Run to sideline 5 yards downfield. What a route tree. Geezuz. The fat kid who couldn’t run ran that route when we played. 

Lol on the Denver miss. You do realize the iron eagle is NOT what it looks like for Sam. Nor is it slow motion. Sam needs to see over and Through 5-6 giants and see that safety stepped up what 1.5 steps and that by the time he throws the WR will be wide open all in one second.  Man. If this Isnt arm chair quarterbacking I don’t know what is. 
not his best moment. But If gonna make the the missed a wide open guy argument please use a good example. Oh yeah. A defensive player DID Break through and get to Sam. I watch Mahomes and Rogers. This is not the throws they are making 90% of time. There cats are just open. A lot. 

Edited by DarnoldHomer
  • Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

So Darnold is supposed to see all 6 wideouts in 1.5 seconds On every snap?  This is a stupid analysis. At LOS and at snap there were 3 guys covering 3 guys to his left. He looked Right and when he worked though his PROGRESSION Mims was no longer covered. That’s Mims route. Run to sideline 5 yards downfield. What a route tree. Geezuz. The fat kid who couldn’t run ran that route when we played. 

Somebody ban this troll already.  This season is bad enough.  We don’t need the USC cheerleading squad coming here and making this place more miserable than it already is.

Here’s how golden boy is handling pass with a  clean pocket:

CDDC75EC-A2B7-40D0-98C1-F8ABFF106818.jpeg.4dedd17a3ea954d4e7e0a424406e90a2.jpeg

Get out of here with this “1.5 seconds on every snap” bullsh*t.  The Mims play in particular was absolutely fine protection.  You don’t have 2 functioning eyeballs if you can’t see that.  

Lastly, according to the advanced statistics, Sam Darnold’s average “time to throw” is 2.84 seconds, right around the league average.  He’s got plenty of time to go through his progressions.  He just sucks at doing it.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DarnoldHomer said:

Lol on the Denver miss. You do realize the iron eagle is NOT what it looks like for Sam. Nor is it slow motion. Sam needs to see over and Through 5-6 giants and see that safety stepped up what 1.5 steps and that by the time he throws the WR will be wide open all in one second.  Man. If this Isnt arm chair quarterbacking I don’t know what is. 
not his best moment. But If gonna make the the missed a wide open guy argument please use a good example. Oh yeah. A defensive player DID Break through and get to Sam. I watch Mahomes and Rogers. This is not the throws they are making 90% of time. There cats are just open. A lot. 

Doubling down on clown takes is always a good move ??.

Painful to watch, those are obvious layup TD throws and he
doesn't even process them.  And the final cutup was the
play where he got hurt, so he didn't pull the trigger on
an easy throw then held it until he got sacked

11 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Seems like we have a lot of these misses popping up this year with Sam where he’s not seeing the receiver or not throwing it. Happened week 1 with Crowder on the scramble drill, and he also missed a wide open Jeff Smith on a slant route in the Denver game. Here’s another miss. Not sure what’s up with him and why he’s regressed so much. But he’s obviously having trouble making his reads this year 

The real question is unanswered. Why is Sam looking right on that play? Is it what he is “coached” to do? Or, is he a hardhead or dummy that cannot absorb and execute what he is taught. 

Frankly, on every pass play the QB should consider the side that White is not on as the primary receiver. Why even bother looking to White’s side? But, the Jets threw a lot to guy’s covered by White. My suspicion is that it is mostly coaching and scheme.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Well he is getting such great coaching and game prep. I can't imagine why this is happening. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

5 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

I've been as big a defender of Darnold as anyone and I still don't think he is as bad as he is showing this year but it is his job to see everyone and know where everyone is on every play before the ball is even snapped. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I guess it’s easy to point out flaws from 30 thousand feet, but watching these clips reminds me of the days of Sanchez for some reason.

Dude come on, this is how HS level and up gets watched. I wanted to believe in Darnold too but no more excuses. Mistakes happen. His are consistent. It’s year three...his best case imo at this point, is a Rich Gannon type career. Let him learn on the bench as a back up and maybe he hits his stride coming in for an injury on a better team when he’s 28 or 30 or something.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

When you have the balls to make a post that clearly shows you have no idea what you’re talking about. ❤️

• Haha 1

Sam Darnold is a mega bust.  It just is what it is.  I thought he had the goods, he doesnt.  He sucks.  No reason to defend it anymore, he's the worst QB in the NFL.  Hands down, no questions asked.  This sh*t is elementary, pop warner level reads and he cant do it because he blows donkey dick. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Somebody ban this troll already.  This season is bad enough.  We don’t need the USC cheerleading squad coming here and making this place more miserable than it already is.

Here’s how golden boy is handling pass with a  clean pocket:

CDDC75EC-A2B7-40D0-98C1-F8ABFF106818.jpeg.4dedd17a3ea954d4e7e0a424406e90a2.jpeg

Get out of here with this “1.5 seconds on every snap” bullsh*t.  The Mims play in particular was absolutely fine protection.  You don’t have 2 functioning eyeballs if you can’t see that.  

Lastly, according to the advanced statistics, Sam Darnold’s average “time to throw” is 2.84 seconds, right around the league average.  He’s got plenty of time to go through his progressions.  He just sucks at doing it.

Geez, this and other things pointed out in this thread is depressing.  Maybe it is Sam but Gase, as his QB coach, is also guilty in his failure.    

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Dude come on, this is how HS level and up gets watched. I wanted to believe in Darnold too but no more excuses. Mistakes happen. His are consistent. It’s year three...his best case imo at this point, is a Rich Gannon type career. Let him learn on the bench as a back up and maybe he hits his stride coming in for an injury on a better team when he’s 28 or 30 or something.

Sadly, this is the truth, and it hurts. Sam doesn't read defenses well, and is slow to react. Funny you used Gannon as an example...he must have said that 3-4 times on Sunday's telecast. These are things that you can't "coach up." You either have it in you to do it, or not. It's like when we were in school, and you prepared for the SAT's. No matter how many practice test, private tutoring lessons you took, you weren't going to appreciably better your score. On a side note, from a couple of people I've talked to close to the organization, apart from the physical attributes he has, Morgan is supposedly smart as heck with this kind of stuff.

• Upvote 1

This is bad no matter how you look at it. It is entirely possible that whoever is calling the play is telling him in the headset "let's look endzone first here", which changes the analysis a bit. But even in that scenario he's too slow to progress through his reads. He needs to come off Griffen almost immediately with the coverage he draws and the other EZ shots are just as heavily covered.

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I guess it’s easy to point out flaws from 30 thousand feet, but watching these clips reminds me of the days of Sanchez for some reason.

Slow processor, just like Sanchez.  Yep.  Sanchez was dumped by 4 other teams after the Jets and was out of the league by the time he was 28 for exactly this reason, because you really can't "fix" it.  QB's either have the ability to process quickly or they don't, and Darnold doesn't.  

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I'm totally on board with your thoughts, but I'd love someone to sit down with Darnold and hear him answer honestly why he did what he did on that particular play. Why is he looking to the right with White on that side and all of the WRs on the other side? White vs a Jet TE is not a favorable matchup. It makes no sense. Is Darnold just a rockhead, or is Gase's scheme so flawed that it ignores matchups? Every decent QB in the NFL is looking left on that play to see which, if any, of the WR trips breaks free from coverage. 

As to play design, that is a great formation. Imagine if the Jets had a true #1WR and a top 10 TE. How do you defend that formation? Based on the D formation, the QB would know pre-snap whether to look left for a WR or right for a TE, and someone is going to be open. Maybe Gase really is brilliant on some "beautiful mind" kind of level. Like Caoch Klein in the Waterboy, we should just steal Gase's spiral notebook and fire him to leave the coaching to real football coaches. 

• Upvote 1