Jump to content
Rhg1084

Film Review: Sam misses a wide open Mims for a TD

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Well he is getting such great coaching and game prep. I can't imagine why this is happening. 

Funny, Jordan Palmer seems to be working wonders for Josh Allen, someone almost every expert said was a raw talent and nowhere near the level of Sam Darnold.

The pandemic put Sam Darnold in lockdown with Jordan Palmer, Josh Allen, and Kyle Allen for 3 months.  They didn't leave the house.  They didn't take weekends off.  Nothing but football.  March, April, and May.  Eating, living, breathing football. 

Second year in the same playbook.  Every single offensive coach returning to the team.  Three months of personal, private coaching.  And he shows up in Buffalo and can't hit the side of a barn.  Still making high school mistakes.  Not seeing the field. You can’t coach the stupid out of a quarterback. The problem is Sam. 

SAR I

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to bench Sam Darnold or we'll continue to lose trade value for him. At the same time though he is also helping us tank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Slow processor, just like Sanchez.  Yep.  Sanchez was dumped by 4 other teams after the Jets and was out of the league by the time he was 28 for exactly this reason, because you really can't "fix" it.  QB's either have the ability to process quickly or they don't, and Darnold doesn't.  

There's a lot more to being a quarterback than a being a good athlete who can throw a football.  There's a reason why there are only about 15-20 people on the planet at any given time who can do this well.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Funny, Jordan Palmer seems to be working wonders for Josh Allen, someone almost every expert said was a raw talent and nowhere near the level of Sam Darnold.

The pandemic put Sam Darnold in lockdown with Jordan Palmer, Josh Allen, and Kyle Allen for 3 months.  They didn't leave the house.  They didn't take weekends off.  Nothing but football.  March, April, and May.  Eating, living, breathing football. 

Second year in the same playbook.  Every single offensive coach returning to the team.  Three months of personal, private coaching.  And he shows up in Buffalo and can't hit the side of a barn.  Still making high school mistakes.  Not seeing the field. You can’t coach the stupid out of a quarterback. The problem is Sam. 

SAR I

Oh Lord GIF by memecandy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Funny, Jordan Palmer seems to be working wonders for Josh Allen, someone almost every expert said was a raw talent and nowhere near the level of Sam Darnold.

The pandemic put Sam Darnold in lockdown with Jordan Palmer, Josh Allen, and Kyle Allen for 3 months.  They didn't leave the house.  They didn't take weekends off.  Nothing but football.  March, April, and May.  Eating, living, breathing football. 

Second year in the same playbook.  Every single offensive coach returning to the team.  Three months of personal, private coaching.  And he shows up in Buffalo and can't hit the side of a barn.  Still making high school mistakes.  Not seeing the field. You can’t coach the stupid out of a quarterback. The problem is Sam. 

SAR I

You know what, I have tried to put up with your constant vomiting the same 💩 day after day but I can't anymore. You are going on ignore.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Tough to watch. Thanks for posting them. 

SAR I

 

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Don’t tell @DarnoldHomer this.  He’ll throw a tantrum over how this is the fault of everyone around Sam.

It's going to take some time for many, many Jets fans to see the reality of Sam Darnold (present reality...  I think he can be good somewhere else, with a different coach).  If we can get a top candidate for the position, we have to do so, because Darnold is pretty far from a sure thing.  Like Sanchez, he can't read the defense and can't see the whole field.  The clips at the beginning of this thread unquestionably demonstrate it .   

Would Sam be better with a solid OL and weapons?  Of course.  But the fundamental deficiencies are there and it has nothing to do with his line and 'weaponz'.  He CONSTANTLY misses wide open receivers or, more frequently, doesn't see them.  He CONSTANTLY throws with horrible foot work and placement... no change at all in 3 years.   Sanchez had better footwork.  Darnold's field vision seems to be about as awful as was Sanchez's, and Sanchez had the worst field vision I had seen in a Jets starting QB in decades.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Don’t tell @DarnoldHomer this.  He’ll throw a tantrum over how this is the fault of everyone around Sam.

did the Jets scouts know this was a risk with Sam coming out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Well he is getting such great coaching and game prep. I can't imagine why this is happening. 

I remember flacco coming into this offense and finding all these wide open WRs and leading us to so many easy scores.

If you watch game film of every team you'll find guys wide open that never get the ball especially when the first read is to the right and the open player is on left side of the field. 

We already know that Gase doesn't let his QBs change plays at the line but not we want to believe that Darnold has the leeway to ignore his precall reads and just go to read#4 immediately? 

I'm done with Darnold but let's be fair. No QB has come in to replace Darnold and looked half as good.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I remember flacco coming into this offense and finding all these wide open WRs and leading us to so many easy scores.

If you watch game film of every team you'll find guys wide open that never get the ball especially when the first read is to the right and the open player is on left side of the field. 

We already know that Gase doesn't let his QBs change plays at the line but not we want to believe that Darnold has the leeway to ignore his precall reads and just go to read#4 immediately? 

I'm done with Darnold but let's be fair. No QB has come in to replace Darnold and looked half as good.

lol - Luke Faulk and Joe Flacco?  They shouldnt even have jobs in the NFL.   Crazy to think you could be worse than Sam Darnold but those 2 dudes are wayyyyy worse.  So, not sure how you could use this a defense of Sam.  It's on film, the kid sucks something awful.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

There's a lot more to being a quarterback than a being a good athlete who can throw a football.  There's a reason why there are only about 15-20 people on the planet at any given time who can do this well.

Which makes holding onto one you know for sure isn't in this group an extra year or 2 even more ludicrous.  Keep drafting QB's until you find one of these 15-20.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mims might have been wide open on the left flat because the tape on Sam has telegraphed his tendencies?

Sam is trying to learn how to read NFL defenses and NFL defenses now have lots of tape on Sam and may be covering to Sam's tendencies?  

Sam is like a 5 year old trying to learn the alphabet.  The Bills defense knows how to read and is studying Greek Mythology.  

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'm totally on board with your thoughts, but I'd love someone to sit down with Darnold and hear him answer honestly why he did what he did on that particular play. Why is he looking to the right with White on that side and all of the WRs on the other side? White vs a Jet TE is not a favorable matchup. It makes no sense. Is Darnold just a rockhead, or is Gase's scheme so flawed that it ignores matchups? Every decent QB in the NFL is looking left on that play to see which, if any, of the WR trips breaks free from coverage. 

As to play design, that is a great formation. Imagine if the Jets had a true #1WR and a top 10 TE. How do you defend that formation? Based on the D formation, the QB would know pre-snap whether to look left for a WR or right for a TE, and someone is going to be open. Maybe Gase really is brilliant on some "beautiful mind" kind of level. Like Caoch Klein in the Waterboy, we should just steal Gase's spiral notebook and fire him to leave the coaching to real football coaches. 

With the understanding that layman fans are never going to know the intricacies of a play design it’s also not rocket science. Best guess for $20 bucks is, if he pre snap reads the alignment correctly,  the ONLY thing I can think of is, he’s trying to Quickly look off to the right to pause/freeze the opposite safety on the back end before hitting Mims but that he/Darnold is in some weird Funk and is just too super slow and his bad feet mess up his timing....lol but that’s a stretch. *throws hands up and shrugs...I dunno 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

did the Jets scouts know this was a risk with Sam coming out?

Absolutely.  Sam was more raw than most would have you believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Jet25 said:

Time to bench Sam Darnold or we'll continue to lose trade value for him. At the same time though he is also helping us tank

Nothing increases a QB's trade value like being benched in favor of a decrepit Joe Flacco.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Nothing increases a QB's trade value like being benched in favor of a decrepit Joe Flacco.

Which begs the rhetorical question.  Why are the Jets protecting Morgan?  I suspect they like Morgan and don't want to rush his development with the current roster.  Which again leads me to believe they aren't protecting Sam because they have given up on him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to see a year 4 of this, sunk cost is a bad reason to stay attached to one of the worst starters in the league.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm supposed to believe this guy's analysis?  He keeps saying "looks to the left on this, our right."  We don't have a left or right.  We have a top and bottom.  Either use that or just do it from Darnold's perspective which is what he is talking about anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, JiF said:

lol - Luke Faulk and Joe Flacco?  They shouldnt even have jobs in the NFL.   Crazy to think you could be worse than Sam Darnold but those 2 dudes are wayyyyy worse.  So, not sure how you could use this a defense of Sam.  It's on film, the kid sucks something awful.

Joe flacco sucks but he should be competent to read a defense and find a wide open WR for an easy TD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

There's a lot more to being a quarterback than a being a good athlete who can throw a football.  There's a reason why there are only about 15-20 people on the planet at any given time who can do this well.

15-20 is probably a tad high, the amount of people that can do it well enough to win a SB is typically 5-10, maybe even lower all other things being equal 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Absolutely.  Sam was more raw than most would have you believe.

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018sdarnold.php

i thought it was a lot more positive coming out of the draft.

our choices were Allen Rosen and Darnold.  No way they were going to take Allen given his accuracy issues (i think).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lith said:

This is the first pick, just before the half.  Oliver providing some pressure up the middle, but Andrews recovers and keeps him away from Darnold.  A bit of pressure, but Sam still has enough room to step up and make the throw.

image.png.6dba71f4d5c444c170f9f9e22bb74ec1.png

And the second pick.  Clean pocket, open receiver.  Give the defender credit for getting his hand in the passing lane, but you could not ask for a much cleaner pocket.

image.png.1bce816416c08c2e6738c73fa5fedb4e.png

If I remember correctly, watching the game, Sam had to jump up to throw over the DL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Sam misses a wide open Cager

If you’re the coach, and your QB isn’t processing fast enough, you dummy it down. RED LIGHT/ GREEN LIGHT (remember?), or in this case, create a two person route with Max protect. 
 

A TWO PERSON ROUTE.  The one guy Sam is looking at gets open and he doesn’t throw the ball. How do you coach that. It’s like SAM is tanking. No wonder Gase is calling 3yd dives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Joe flacco sucks but he should be competent to read a defense and find a wide open WR for an easy TD.

Its proven in what putting up a goose egg against Miami or one TD vs Az

Seeing it sounds good but nowhere as a Jets has he proven it otherwise its a case of he cant throw it, either way it sucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HessStation said:

With the understanding that layman fans are never going to know the intricacies of a play design it’s also not rocket science. Best guess for $20 bucks is, if he pre snap reads the alignment correctly,  the ONLY thing I can think of is, he’s trying to Quickly look off to the right to pause/freeze the opposite safety on the back end before hitting Mims but that he/Darnold is in some weird Funk and is just too super slow and his bad feet mess up his timing....lol but that’s a stretch. *throws hands up and shrugs...I dunno 

Or, remember this is an offense where Darnold is not free to audible to a QB sneak. So, I cannot ignore the possibility that it lacks flexibility and Darnold is instructed that options #1 and #2 are the TEs on the right side and he has to look and wait to see if they break open. Remember, a fair amount of the criticism of Gase's O is that pass plays take too long to develop. 

I'm not saying your wrong, and I do believe that the Bret Favre's and Peyton Manning's of the world would say screw what the coach said, I know on this play against this D with White on the right side, the open receiver will be on the left. 

The thing that is frustrating is that this in not a "see the field" during the play type of thing. Seeing the field during a play cannot be taught. This is seeing the field pre-snap. This can absolutely be taught.

While we can only guess what went wrong, but the fact is it went wrong, and it is a continual occurrence. The coach is responsible in my view when he a player continually makes the same type of mental error. Coaching is teaching and Darnold ain't learning so he's either stupid of the teacher sucks.  And I just don't think he's this stupid. The read on this play is pretty easy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JiF said:

Sam Darnold is a mega bust.  It just is what it is.  I thought he had the goods, he doesnt.  He sucks.  No reason to defend it anymore, he's the worst QB in the NFL.  Hands down, no questions asked.  This sh*t is elementary, pop warner level reads and he cant do it because he blows donkey dick. 

 

He did have it, hes mentally ****ed as a QB..PTSD like stuff were talking here. Which is why some people are saying trevor, if we get him, will have the same issues 2-3 years from now unless we sell out on offense in the draft. **** defense, we dont need it right now. Every pick should be online or wr, te, Rb and if we HAVE to pick someone on the other side..pass rusher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

 Somebody ban this troll already.  This season is bad enough.  We don’t need the USC cheerleading squad coming here and making this place more miserable than it already is.

Here’s how golden boy is handling pass with a  clean pocket:

CDDC75EC-A2B7-40D0-98C1-F8ABFF106818.jpeg.4dedd17a3ea954d4e7e0a424406e90a2.jpeg

Get out of here with this “1.5 seconds on every snap” bullsh*t.  The Mims play in particular was absolutely fine protection.  You don’t have 2 functioning eyeballs if you can’t see that.  

Lastly, according to the advanced statistics, Sam Darnold’s average “time to throw” is 2.84 seconds, right around the league average.  He’s got plenty of time to go through his progressions.  He just sucks at doing it.

Darnold’s performance reflects the offense’s overall.

I’d be leery about relying on the myriad of statistical methods being promulgated by various sources. Statistics can say anything if tortured enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't matter how we got here and we can debate who's to blame until we turn blue, but here and now, Darnold is not a good QB.  I am a big Darnold fan, but it is what it is.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes. Tough to watch indeed. I've seen some breakdown by Sabo regarding Darnold before and they were never this bad.

That being said I don't think Darnold is quite as bad as these show. He is clearly not the answer though, and it's time to move on. He needs a complete reset and a year on the bench elsewhere if he hopes to salvage his career. 

He's totally shell-shocked and just guessing out there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The real question is unanswered. Why is Sam looking right on that play? Is it what he is “coached” to do? Or, is he a hardhead or dummy that cannot absorb and execute what he is taught. 
 

Franky, on every pass play the QB should consider the side that White is not on as the primary receiver. Why even bother looking to White’s side? But, the Jets threw a lot to guy’s covered by White. My suspicion is that it is mostly coaching and scheme.

It was a knock on him coming out of USC. doesn’t know where to go with the ball too often. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

It doesn't matter how we got here and we can debate who's to blame until we turn blue, but here and now, Darnold is not a good QB.  I am a big Darnold fan, but it is what it is.  

The damage the current regime has caused to the offense is probably irreversible psychologically.

With Darnold’s contract year rapidly approaching and his quality still uncertain because of the apple v egg dysfunction, changes must happen anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for all those who blame the line yes there is some blame there at the guard spots both Andrews and GVR aren't great and Fant straight up SUX at RT 

but if you're an opposing DC there's no downside to dialing up pressure against Darnold

he's either going to cough it up, not see the open man, fumble it, buttfumble it, whatever 

it's all good from their perspective

 

i've said this from August they need to install the RPO and start James Morgan

the real captain 

200.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

It doesn't matter how we got here and we can debate who's to blame until we turn blue, but here and now, Darnold is not a good QB.  I am a big Darnold fan, but it is what it is.  

seeing these types of posts are less satisfying that I'd imagined it would be 

does knowing Sam Darnold sucked back in 2017 make me any better than ChukkieB? 

maybe

but it doesn't feel good 

I'd rather have been wrong on this one 

the real question is how does every Jets fan on the internet know Adam Gase is terrible and Sam is terrible yet the Jets believe they are correct? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...