Film Review: Sam misses a wide open Mims for a TD

Rhg1084

The problem with seeing all these missed throws is that gives credence to the Keep Gase argument unfortunately.  Just teasing out the Buffalo game and the missed opportunities, it could be argued that game becomes potentially winnable without the glaring mistakes.

How does Joe Douglas reconcile a situation where he knows that he still wants to upgrade 75% of the roster, he thinks he may want to move off Darnold, and the coach may be playing the victim to both of those things? 

Douglas and Gase obviously have a relationship that goes back several years.  CJ has been convinced to vocally back Gase and still calls the guy a genius for some reason.  If Douglas and Gase convince CJ that Darnold is part of the problem (certainly not the entire problem) then I think Gase is here for 2021.

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The problem with seeing all these missed throws is that gives credence to the Keep Gase argument unfortunately.  Just teasing out the Buffalo game and the missed opportunities, it could be argued that game becomes potentially winnable without the glaring mistakes.

How does Joe Douglas reconcile a situation where he knows that he still wants to upgrade 75% of the roster, he thinks he may want to move off Darnold, and the coach may be playing the victim to both of those things? 

Douglas and Gase obviously have a relationship that goes back several years.  CJ has been convinced to vocally back Gase and still calls the guy a genius for some reason.  If Douglas and Gase convince CJ that Darnold is part of the problem (certainly not the entire problem) then I think Gase is here for 2021.

No, I don't think so.  Just because Darnold is missing throws doesn't mean Gase is somehow good at his job.  

We have years of data from Gase's stay in Miami to suggest he simply isn't good at being an NFL HC.  

Both suck.  We have an historically bad offense in a time when offenses are setting records left and right.  Plenty of blame can be split between the 2.  And it doesn't really matter to me who sucks more.  Simply enough its time to move on from both, either now, at the end of the season, or any time in between.

22 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Well he is getting such great coaching and game prep. I can't imagine why this is happening. 

Supposedly a big plus for Darnold pre draft that made a lot of talking heads big on him was that he was very "coachable".  He's like tofu absorbing the flavor of what it is cooked in, problem is it's being cooked in a pot of liquid crap.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Supposedly a big plus for Darnold pre draft that made a lot of talking heads big on him was that he was very "coachable".  He's like tofu absorbing the flavor of what it is cooked in, problem is it's being cooked in a pot of liquid crap.

This is what worries me most about moving on from Sam and drafting Lawrence or Fields. I am not convinced we are moving on from Gase. I think Gase is retained for another season and he gets to ruin another QB. 

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Only the Jets could be a team that perennially picks in the Top 5 or 10 and STILL can't find a QB.  Passing on good ones (Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, DeShaun Watson, Josh Allen, etc.) and then seems to pick the wrong ones.

Good point but I wouldn't put Josh Allen on that list. Josh Allen would be terrible here. Sam Darnold would look much better in Buffalo.

Mahomes would be great anywhere. Adam Gase would try to get Lamar Jackson to stop running and be a pure drop back passer.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Good point but I wouldn't put Josh Allen on that list.

I hesitated to include his name but I'm trying to be objective, not subjective with these guys.  We all have opinions and can argue that QB X would be better on Team A and QB Y would be horrible on Team B, but looking purely at results....every single GM in a 2018 re-Draft right now would take Allen as the 2nd or 3rd QB.

Josh Allen would be terrible here. Sam Darnold would look much better in Buffalo.

I agree with this but again, results are results so far.  I'm in the Camp that believes Darnold can be a Top 10-15 QB with the right coaching and a better offensive roster, but there's no way to prove that.

Mahomes would be great anywhere. Adam Gase would try to get Lamar Jackson to stop running and be a pure drop back passer.

No doubt.

• Upvote 1