Jets trying to trade Quinnen Williams as trade deadline looms(Disclaimer* it’s a Manish report)

5 hours ago, HighPitch said:

ok this is just pure nuts. The dude is starting to play well. why???????

Makes zero sense.

I've been onboard with most of the trades so far (compensation for Adams was good, getting anything for McClendon or Willis made sense).  But unless the Jets get back very good compensation for QW (like a Top 20 pick) this would seem like selling a $5 bill for $3.25.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Said it once, said it twice, and will say it many more times. 

The media is a huge part of why the Jets are dysfunctional. It's quite literally the ONLY sports market in the US where this happens. 

Step 1- The local media outright causes problems for the team. 

Step 2- The team has to deal with the problems by addressing or fixing them.

Step 3- The local media in turn THEN takes issues with the way the team addressed or fixed them. 

Step 4- National media then shines a light on stories the local media pushes.

Step 5- Wash and repeat, clown show continues. 

This doesnt absolve the Jets of their own ineptitude, but other teams are not dealing with fighting battles on multiple fronts like the Jets are. 

This is why I'm starting to believe an a$$hole like Harbaugh might be the way to go for the next coach....only certain personalities can win in NY and he's one of them. 

4 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Well, Trevor isn't a free agent so he'll go where he is drafted but in your scenario Joe D. will say that he didn't draft Sam Darnold but was hired to bring order to a team in disarray. He did his best to support Sam by drafting a franchise LT, a top rated WR, a (hopefully solid) guard and getting the best Center available in FA but it just didn't work out. He would then say that since Trevor is his "guy" he is going to continue investing our high draft picks on offense as well as picking up add'l FA in the offseason. 

Other Free Agents couldn't care less what JD said to Sam's parents. They care about 1) Money 2) Winning. JD has plenty of #1 for the right player and once we get Trevor and a new HC in here we should have plenty of #2 as well. 

the LT is definitely true.  The other two are debatable.  

49 minutes ago, JiF said:

Unless some team blows your socks off, 

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In another thread you mentioned you'd be cool with throwing street FA's out there on defense and going all-in on offense.  In light of that, it makes at least some sense to move a DT who is only "pretty good" at rushing the passer. 

If you can get a 1 back (and maybe a little more, since it would be a late 1st from a contender) you really have to do it, no?

Honestly I wouldn't take less than a 1, because we'd be getting a pretty sizable dead cap hit over the next couple seasons.  To offset that, the trade compensation needs to be good.  I'm not settling for a 2 and 5.  A 1 and a 3 or 4 would be my starting point in negotiations, then go from there.

Its almost like you intentionally ignore sh*t when you quote me.  lol 

I would consider a 1st round pick blowing my socks off considering how far short of expectations he's been to date but I wouldnt just trade him for any old pick, he's not a terrible player and getting rid of him for a 2nd/3rd pick seems silly to me all things considered. No need to cut your nose off despite your face even if I've been saying I could give 2 sh*ts about D for 2 straight years now. 

Yolo Offense until you can score 30pts a game.

• Upvote 1

I don't believe the Jets  trade Williams yet.  Still very young. Actually show good play despite this absolute piss hole of a franchise's state.  That's something a new DC can build around.  Lirerally everybody else brings more in picks.  But Quinnin may be the one guy who doesn't.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

I would consider a 1st round pick blowing my socks off considering how far short of expectations he's been to date but I wouldnt just trade him for any old pick, he's not a terrible player and getting rid of him for a 2nd/3rd pick seems silly to me all things considered. No need to cut your nose off despite your face even if I've been saying I could give 2 sh*ts about D for 2 straight years now. 

Ah gotcha.  I wasn't sure what "blowing your socks off" would be in this instance.  I assumed you were talking about something close to the Adams deal compensation.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Makes zero sense.

I've been onboard with most of the trades so far (compensation for Adams was good, getting anything for McClendon or Willis made sense).  But unless the Jets get back very good compensation for QW (like a Top 20 pick) this would seem like selling a $5 bill for $3.25.

But Douglas didn't draft QW (and never would have, especially not in the top 5), so we really can't fault him for taking the $3.25 and running.  A player's value is whatever the most you can get is, not what you hope his value to be. 

The Leonard Williams trade comes to mind there.  A 3 and a 5 was the most we were going to get at that stage for an expiring contract.  QW has 2-3 years of team control left on his deal and we'd suffer dead cap penalties, so its a different situation, and we need to ask for a 1 and then some.  But expecting compensation equaling a mid-1st pick is probably a lot to ask.

A late 1st would be fine by me, if that's the best we can get.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But Douglas didn't draft QW (and never would have, especially not in the top 5), so we really can't fault him for taking the $3.25 and running.  A player's value is whatever the most you can get is, not what you hope his value to be. 

The Leonard Williams trade comes to mind there.  A 3 and a 5 was the most we were going to get at that stage for an expiring contract.  QW has 2-3 years of team control left on his deal and we'd suffer dead cap penalties, so its a different situation, and we need to ask for a 1 and then some.  But expecting compensation equaling a mid-1st pick is probably a lot to ask.

A late 1st would be fine by me, if that's the best we can get.

Agree on the Leo trade.  A 3 and a 5 looks great because Leo wasn't coming back, was about to become expensive if kept, and after 3+ years we knew what we had.  My only argument is that I still don't think we know what we have in QW.  This year is better than last year.  His trajectory seems good.  We still have the benefit of time on our side.  I say let the steak marinate into Year 3.  If the Jets want to move him I'd do it at NEXT year's trade deadline, not this one.  It seems like we'd be selling low.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree on the Leo trade.  A 3 and a 5 looks great because Leo wasn't coming back, was about to become expensive if kept, and after 3+ years we knew what we had.  My only argument is that I still don't think we know what we have in QW.  This year is better than last year.  His trajectory seems good.  We still have the benefit of time on our side.  I say let the steak marinate into Year 3.  If the Jets want to move him I'd do it at NEXT year's trade deadline, not this one.  It seems like we'd be selling low.

Personally I don't care a whole lot about QW's ceiling.  He's not Aaron Donald and defense doesn't matter much at all anymore.  The Jamal Adams trade is great proof of that.  A supposed game-changing, all-world player and the Seattle defense can't stop anything.  With or without him.  

Take the pick(s) and let's build this thing offense-first, like we should have been doing for the last 2 decades.  Don't invest another high pick on the defensive end until that side of the ball is, at minimum, a top 20 unit in the league.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Makes zero sense.

Tree Fiddy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 3

Those who are shocked by this possible bit of news, and saying we should absolutely not be trading QW, are being silly.  Is not any player outside of Pat Mahomes and a couple other elite QB's available for the right price?

It reminds me of this fable/parable, or whatever you want to call it:

One man approaches another and asks him, "Sir, would you lick the bottom of my shoe for a dollar?"

The other says "No, that is disgusting.  I would NEVER do that!"

"Ah.  Well, would you do it for 1 million dollars?"

"Well, sure, for 1 million I would do it."

"OK, how about for two dollars?"

"No, that is disgusting.  I would NEVER do that!"

"Sir, I believe we have already established that you WOULD be willing to do that.  Now we're just haggling on the price."

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Those who are shocked by this possible bit of news, and saying we should absolutely not be trading QW, are being silly.  Is not any player outside of Pat Mahomes and a couple other elite QB's available for the right price?

It reminds me of this fable/parable, or whatever you want to call it:

One man approaches another and asks him, "Sir, would you lick the bottom of my shoe for a dollar?"

The other says "No, that is disgusting.  I would NEVER do that!"

"Ah.  Well, would you do it for 1 million dollars?"

"Well, sure, for 1 million I would do it."

"OK, how about for two dollars?"

"No, that is disgusting.  I would NEVER do that!"

"Sir, I believe we have already established that you WOULD be willing to do that.  Now we're just haggling on the price."

The right price is the key.  Is anyone here really saying, "Don't trade QW no matter the price"?  I'm certainly not.

But I'd also like to see the Jets not get taken advantage of when it seems like JD is Crazy Eddie and giving things away.  I don't want his prices to be INSANE!!!

5aSu.gif.5d6d4132b89b16d9ff4c45d04c876e91.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Joe Douglas hasn't once gotten "taken advantage of" in a trade in his tenure to date, so I don't think anyone should be concerned about that possibility.  He won the Leo and Jamal deals and also won (per the draft chart) when he traded down during the draft itself.

The only "bad trade" he's made was the Quincy Wilson deal.  Who he acquired for a 6th rounder.  Not exactly a consequential deal, especially when you look at how many picks we ended up with in the 2020 draft and the picks we have in 2021-22.

Which is exactly why I'd be fine trading QW for the types of return compensation, relatively speaking, he got for Adams and Leo.   There was time pressure on the Leo trade (he had something like 10 games left on the Jets before FA)....JD didn't have the luxury of holding out for more than he got (which was good compensation IMO).  The Jamal trade is exactly what you can make happen for a player after Year 3 of a 5 year deal.  Without the pressure of time (Quinnen is in Year 2) and while having a player whose trajectory seems to be upwards, I'd hope JD gets more than just a very late 1st round pick for QW.  On a team where he's pretty much the only guy in the Front 7 that defenses worry about, I think he's worth more than that.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

This is why I'm starting to believe an a$$hole like Harbaugh might be the way to go for the next coach....only certain personalities can win in NY and he's one of them. 

Harbaugh is not an ahole but yes you are correct. He has the best chance of handling NY. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JTJet said:

Harbaugh is not an ahole but yes you are correct. He has the best chance of handling NY. 

Harbaugh would be an incredible hire for the jets.  Similar to hiring Parcells in 1996 it would transform the franchise 

The Johnsons aren’t smart enough to even attempt it

15 hours ago, JiF said:

to spite*

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I was told that the podcast’s legendary guest “ackshully” has sources though.

AFJF mysteriously absent in this thread, only to return when the blind squirrel accurately reports something, or just re-tweets something Cimini reported while playing Xbox.

• Post of the Week 1

On 10/27/2020 at 3:38 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Not if the return is less valuable than what that players value is on the field.

It makes no sense to give away a player on the cheap because you didnt draft him.  

I still dont get why were in a rush to get rid of any and every talented player on our roster.  Its not like we have an over abundance 

On 10/27/2020 at 3:53 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Personally I don't care a whole lot about QW's ceiling.  He's not Aaron Donald and defense doesn't matter much at all anymore.  The Jamal Adams trade is great proof of that.  A supposed game-changing, all-world player and the Seattle defense can't stop anything.  With or without him.  

Take the pick(s) and let's build this thing offense-first, like we should have been doing for the last 2 decades.  Don't invest another high pick on the defensive end until that side of the ball is, at minimum, a top 20 unit in the league.

Trade QW and Darnold. We’d have 4 FOUR 1st rounders to plug right into the offense. #1 Trevor and l’ll project the other 3 would be in the 20-30 range. So ...Center Creed Humphrey, TE Pitts and WR Olave. Also we pick 1st in round 2 - RB Etienne.