What will JD do with CJ Mosley?

extmenace

10 minutes ago, extmenace said:

CJ Mosley is flying under the radar with him opting out this year but if the trend continues, JD will try to get him off this teams books next offseason. Can he be cut? Is he stuck here for another season? A trade? What kind of options do the jets have? 

Owners voted in the deal, it allowed for players to opt out this year.  He did.  You cant then complain that you had  player do what's allowed by league and the NFPLA

No matter how much we may hate it or dont understand 

He'll be cut to save cap space whenever its advantageous to do it

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, extmenace said:

CJ Mosley is flying under the radar with him opting out this year but if the trend continues, JD will try to get him off this teams books next offseason. Can he be cut? Is he stuck here for another season? A trade? What kind of options do the jets have? 

Pure speculation on my part, but I think....

1. The Jets value CJ and intend to have him as part of their future plans

2. The Jets brass encouraged him to take the year off... 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I really want CJ Mosely to work out.  He's the type of explosive player we need.  Of all the carpetbaggers who stole our money, I'm praying he's the one guy that may buy-in.

SAR I

you didnt like Bell and he bought in. But I hope you are right and we get soethign from him. It seems like we are stuck with him. But I am just as happy with him being cut, I dont blame him not wanting to to play for gase this year, or due to illness concerns - alot of people scard. BUT and this is a Big Butt, is he worth that money? Probably not and if we cna spend it else where to make the team better then cut him. 

But if it is a situation where we really can afford it and we dont have better options, cut him and get a discount on new contract. Cut bait Joe. **** cut bait, all these terrible deals for players that opt out screw that.

He opted out. Make him play for us the next 3 years if he's healthy, the guy is a great player. We literally are not paying anyone will probably draft Lawrence or Fields & move on from Sam by trading him to an NFC team. 

Lions- Bears- Vikings- Bucs- Saints- Panthers- Redskins- Dallas

Everyone of those teams could be in play for a QB that's still 23 years old.

The more the merrier. 

• Upvote 1

Based on his contract, Mosley will certainly be here next year.  Hoepfully he plays for us and plays well.  Although after missing most of two seasons, no one knows what he will look like on the field in 2021.

No reason for JD to do anything with Mosley now. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ToonforPrez said:

I'm sure JD doesn't want him though with that Cap Hit and will try to cut bait sooner rather than later.

The dead cap hit will be even worse than the cap hit.  There's no sense in suffering $15.5M in dead cap money to have him NOT play here.  

The best bet would be to have him play out the 2021 season and hopefully earn some of the money he's getting paid.  He's going nowhere until 2022 (at earliest), either way.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

they intended to tank from the very beginning and had no interest in showcasing CJ for a trade because they want him to play in 2021 when they come out of the can

In no situation would pushing his enormous contract back a year be a good thing.  Every move JD has made has been to get out of those bad deals.  Why prolong this one?

No, this was a Mosley decision, plain and simple.  And it brought nothing good for the team.  The dude ended up getting $10M to NOT play this year.  And I don't really blame him for making that call, especially not in hindsight with how historically bad the team ended up being.

Remember the Jets trying to throw money at Anthony Barr at the same time that off-season?

Macc was a drunk sailor that offseason. Sheesh!

I think Mosley is here at least until 2022.  We might get two good seasons out of him before cutting him.  By all accounts, and putting this Opt Out to the side, he's a good guy, a good leader and a very good player.  If he can come back healthy it may not be bad to have him as the veteran anchor in the middle of the D as the Jets try to put rookies and younger guys in orbit around him.  He could be the voice on the D that McClendon was to a degree.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Owners voted in the deal, it allowed for players to opt out this year.  He did.  You cant then complain that you had  player do what's allowed by league and the NFPLA

No matter how much we may hate it or dont understand 

He'll be cut to save cap space whenever its advantageous to do it

Yes you can’t blame criminals for getting off on a technicality, you have to blame the system. I keep wondering when the owners will get smart and quit trusting players to live up to their end of the bargain. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

He opted out. Make him play for us the next 3 years if he's healthy, the guy is a great player. We literally are not paying anyone will probably draft Lawrence or Fields & move on from Sam by trading him to an NFC team. 

Lions- Bears- Vikings- Bucs- Saints- Panthers- Redskins- Dallas

Everyone of those teams could be in play for a QB that's still 23 years old.

The more the merrier. 

the guy was a great player.  he may still be but taking a year off has got to hurt in some ways.  i think the jets are stuck with him so they may as well play him.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, extmenace said:

With his salary, not playing for 2 years, and potentially seen as injury prone, he's about as tradable as a herpes laced jockstrap, or more up to date a surgical mask just worn by someone who has Covid-19. 

• Haha 1