Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence hints at returning to school for his senior year

Rhg1084

Well this is scary, right?

But there is still a significant chance that the Jets don’t even get the number one pick, maybe moot point.

But also any advisers I think should loom at the Jets situation objectively. The next HC if the New York Jets will be paired and in a way almost personally selected for Trevor Lawrence.  The Jets GM is committed to building an O-line.  Franchise LT is in place. Promising young wideout in MIms (maybe?), and more cap room and draft capital than any other team.  But yeah, they’re still the Jets but they can objectively make you more money than any other team, not deferring a year of salary, paying top overall money, plus the New York market.

• Upvote 1

“The 6-foot-6 Lawrence, considered the likely No. 1 pick in next spring's NFL draft, said he hasn't ruled out returning to Clemson for another year instead of going pro.

"My mindset has been that I'm going to move on,'' Lawrence said Tuesday. "But who knows? There's a lot of things that could happen.''
At the forefront could be which NFL team is in line to draft Lawrence. 

Right now, that's the New York Jets, who are 0-7 and the league's only winless team.”

Welp that’s not promising. Not panicked, but certainly not great news.

12 minutes ago, ToonforPrez said:

In all Honesty no way he is giving up the amount of Money that is slotted for a first Pick and the NYC Endorsement and Market money he will make.

what is it about Jet fans that in the face of sound logic - they continue to tell themselves this is just another chapter of bronx tale. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

He didn't say anything!  And being the first number one overall pick isn't something that you layover till you feel better about your pro chances.  One injury and you're done.

As opposed to coming to the Jets and being embarrassingly done?  LOL.

I'd take my chances with injuries before I'd take my chances coming here.

He's going to try an get out of playing for us.  And he has all the leverage, we have none.  End of the day, he can always go back to school, making our #1 pick laughably worth less (till the Jets homers start claiming Fields is also "generational", lol!)

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As opposed to coming to the Jets and being embarrassingly done?  LOL.

I'd take my chances with injuries before I'd take my chances coming here.

He's going to try an get out of playing for us.  And he has all the leverage, we have none.  End of the day, he can always go back to school, making our #1 pick laughably worth less (till the Jets homers start claiming Fields is also "generational", lol!)

Disagree.  Things change in college football all the time.  Being number one is no sure thing.  Even Burrows was saying guarded things about the possibility of Cincy at one time last year.  There is nothing in life that is assured.  Now if it gets to the end of the season abd one his family members goes on record as saying that he's adverse to the Jets as an organization.  Start talking about trading the pick.  This situation we're in is laughable.  But being the highest paid rookie in the entire draft isn't.  Even if he's playing for the Jets.

Pure nonsense, when you have the opportunity to leave you do.  Why?  Because
for a "generational QB" (we'll see) you want to start the clock on your
career as soon as possible so you can get to your HUGE second contract

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Man, talk about reading into a nothing statement.

There is zero here. But of course if Lawrence so much as farts at a press conference or interview there will be 700 different tweets breaking down what it means. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Man, talk about reading into a nothing statement.

He said his mindset has always been to leave but now who knows? How is that reading into, its stated?

Quote: My mindset has been that I'm going to move on," Lawrence said Tuesday. "But who knows? There's a lot of things that could happen."

Hopefully this is empty talk and he'll declare for the draft.  I definitely have some concerns that he's starting to listen to the people saying "don't go to the Jets". 

Assuming it's true (and, again, I hope it's not), I'd be all for JD trading down and trying to draft Sewell.  I love the idea of having 2 absolutely dominant OTs on our line.  That plus we'd acquire extra picks due to the trade down.  Ideally we'd also be able to add JaMarr Chase but that's probably not realistic.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Disagree.  Things change in college football all the time.  Being number one is no sure thing.  Even Burrows was saying guardes things about the possibility of Cincy at one time last year.  There is nothing in life that is assured.  Now if it gets to the end of the season abd one his family members goes on record as saying that he's adverse to the Jets as an organization.  Start talking about trading the pick.  This situation we're in is laughable.  But being the highest paid rookie in the entire draft isn't.  Even if he's playing for the Jets.

Generational talents don't have to worry about all that jazz.

A truly generational QB talent will be #1 this year, or #1 next year.  IF he is actually generational, of course.

What he can (and IMO will) control is which scrapheap franchise he goes to, as much as is possible.

There is, again IMO, no chance T.L. ever plays a snap as a NY Jet.  And I can't fault him if he doesn't want to.  I've loved this franchise for most of 40 years, but I wouldn't want my own son (if I had one) to come play here.  The NY Jets Franchise is a career-killer.  

So I fully expect a game of chicken to be played, to see who will blink.  I'm betting it'll be JD and Gase.

And like I said, that's when I expect our forum to explode with "Well, akshually, Fields is the real hidden gem in this draft!" threads.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

6 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

He said his mindset has always been to leave but now who knows? How is that reading into, its stated?

He didn’t say “but now”. “But now” implies that something changed his mind and now he doesn’t know if he wants to come out.  I just read the full quote.  It’s a whole lot of nothing.

If he does stay?  Just take Fields.

• Upvote 3