Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence hints at returning to school for his senior year

Rhg1084

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We've got the pro and anti-Darnold guys

You mean the people who were right about Darnold all along, and those who were......overly optimistic? :-k

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

But heaven help us if Jets fans have collectively pinned all their hopes and put all their eggs in one basket being carried by a 21 year old college student with long, lovely blonde hair.  It's almost as if we're banking on getting this guy and, even worse, it could be that the GM is also banking on getting him and trading away everything he can to ensure the tank.

With the odds of Lawrence actually becoming a Jet probably around 25% either due to him returning to college, the Jets winning a game or two, etc. I fear it will be an epically ugly time around here if it doesn't happen.  But it would also force the Jets to actually manage themselves better, not count on a silver bullet to fix 30+ years of ineptitude.  It would make the GM actually have to do things the right way and build a team rather than hope some phenom rescues him.

There will need to be a emergency mental health hotline for JN come draft day 2021.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

He didn't say anything!  And being the first number one overall pick isn't something that you layover till you feel better about your pro chances.  One injury and you're done.

one could argue that being drafted by the Jets in one of the worst injuries you can suffer playing Football

• Haha 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Seriously. What's he going to say in October, at 6-0 and his team AP ranked #1? Is there any non-senior QB in history who said, in that situation or nearly in that situation, that "Yeah, I'm totally outta here after this year."

If he says this after his bowl game then you can read into it. 

This too.

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

what is it about Jet fans that in the face of sound logic - they continue to tell themselves this is just another chapter of bronx tale. 

It's crazy.

If I was advising him I'd tell him to take out an insurance policy with Lloyd's of London, and play his senior year.  I'd tell him that after 30 years of running a franchise into the ground, this group of misfits under poor ownership now wants you to rescue them and correct all the mistakes they've made for decades.  Oh, by the way, they expected the last QB to do the same thing....and now you'll be replacing him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Generational talents don't have to worry about all that jazz.

A truly generational QB talent will be #1 this year, or #1 next year.  IF he is actually generational, of course.

What he can (and IMO will) control is which scrapheap franchise he goes to, as much as is possible.

There is, again IMO, no chance T.L. ever plays a snap as a NY Jet.  And I can't fault him if he doesn't want to.  I've loved this franchise for most of 40 years, but I wouldn't want my own son (if I had one) to come play here.  The NY Jets Franchise is a career-killer.  

So I fully expect a game of chicken to be played, to see who will blink.  I'm betting it'll be JD and Gase.

And like I said, that's when I expect our forum to explode with "Well, akshually, Fields is the real hidden gem in this draft!" threads.

Hate to spoil your fun, but there are some here that are saying Fields needs to be in the discussion. 

Are you now so far outside being a Jets fan, that you say "This is what Jets fans will do and say?"

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Saul Goodman said:

What? No, can’t be! Most everyone’s here says it’s already a done deal - Jets are guaranteed to have the 1st pick and they are guaranteed to have Tevor under center next season. 

Did you even read the article? He said his mindset is to go pro. He left the door open because 99pct of college players don't announce they are leaving until after the season. 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You mean the people who were right about Darnold all along, and those who were......overly optimistic? :-k

Sure, if thinking about it that way helps you.

There will need to be a emergency mental health hotline for JN come draft day 2021.

We've needed that hotline since 1970.  lol

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It's crazy.

If I was advising him I'd tell him to take out an insurance policy with Lloyd's of London, and play his senior year.  I'd tell him that after 30 years of running a franchise into the ground, this group of misfits under poor ownership now wants you to rescue them and correct all the mistakes they've made for decades.  Oh, by the way, they expected the last QB to do the same thing....and now you'll be replacing him.

You get 40-50% on the dollar for those insurance policies. And, unless you want a HUGE premium, they are for your first expected contract only.

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

Nothing has changed. His "plan" was, and still is, to enter the draft. Plans can change, but they have not. 

IMO, this is the result of someone advising he to stir a little controversy. It's good for the brand. 

I think it's more a product of him not wanting to tell his teammates, midseason, that he is abandoning them. He wants them to think he is all in on the program. It's what these kids normally do while they are still playing. '

If we hear him being wishywashy after the season THEN I will start to get nervous. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

You get 40-50% on the dollar for those insurance policies. And, unless you want a HUGE premium, they are for your first expected contract only.

Exactly. And it also doesn't give you the money you lose by entering free agency a year later because you decided to stay another year and get selected by a different 0-16, 1-15 team. 

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hate to spoil your fun, but there are some here that are saying Fields needs to be in the discussion. 

Lol, of course they are.  "Hedging the Hype Bets" is a long tradition, especially for also-ran franchise fanbases like ours......

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Are you now so far outside being a Jets fan, that you say "This is what Jets fans will do and say?"

No, Scott, it's just how I write when making wholesale generalization predictions regarding our fanbase.

Note "our", not "your".   

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Seriously. What's he going to say in October, at 6-0 and his team AP ranked #1? Is there any non-senior QB in history who said, in that situation or nearly in that situation, that "Yeah, I'm totally outta here after this year."

If he says this after his bowl game then you can read into it. 

/////thread

All of this conjecture is so freaking stupid! The media is creating this & everyone's biting the clickbait. Mike Maccagnan was a MORON!!! Joe Douglas is not a moron. Joe Douglas is doing everything he can to fix this Oline with the what he has to use to do it unlike Macc. 

Trevor has a bad azz Left Tackle for his career. We have a sh*tton of money & there is no doubt in my mind that he targets a veteran guard (Thuney- Stanley- Scherff). A Veteran WR, Juju or Allen Robinson. Mims looks like a player. Crowder will probably be back. I could see him moving around to grab Pitts. 

If we have the 1st pick in the draft give Joe Douglas 30 minutes with Trevor Lawrence & we'll be announcing his name on draft day & he'll be donning a NY Jet cap. Just like Joe Burrow donned a Bengals cap. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. And it also doesn't give you the money you lose by entering free agency a year later because you decided to stay another year and get selected by a different 0-16, 1-15 team. 

Correct. He will never recoup 2021 NFL salary, and can't make it up on the backside of his career. That is about $25m of lifetime money.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Lol, of course they are.  "Hedging the Hype Bets" is a long tradition, especially for also-ran franchise fanbases like ours......

No, Scott, it's just how I write when making wholesale generalization predictions regarding our fanbase.

Note "our", not "your".   

Thank you for characterizing all of us into one lump some mindset. I would encourage you to read last week's college gameday thread and see what was being said about Fields.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

one could argue that being drafted by the Jets in one of the worst injuries you can suffer playing Football

If I was playing for Adam Gase.  Yeah! I would sure as hell feel that way. Harbaugh, Eric Bieniemy, whomever.  Wouldn't know until THE ACTUAL DRAFT BUILD UP before I knew how things were going to play out. Also the Jets might see the Lawrence trade as a pick bonanza if Douglas values Fields as highly as a player.  But I get it.  This franchise is beyond having any hope.  We'll never be good. It's beyond even discussing.  Non stop cringe is the other of the day.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This has and continues to be an epic year for fans on this message board.  Sadly, it has mirrored much of the world we live in with the pandemic, election, etc.  We've got the pro and anti-Darnold guys, the ones saying Joe Douglas is a god and others who see him swinging and missing with many decisions, etc.  A bad team with bad coaches and bad players has made it pretty miserable when there isn't much else to entertain us in the world right now.

But heaven help us if Jets fans have collectively pinned all their hopes and put all their eggs in one basket being carried by a 21 year old college student with long, lovely blonde hair.  It's almost as if we're banking on getting this guy and, even worse, it could be that the GM is also banking on getting him and trading away everything he can to ensure the tank.

With the odds of Lawrence actually becoming a Jet probably around 25% either due to him returning to college, the Jets winning a game or two, etc. I fear it will be an epically ugly time around here if it doesn't happen.  But it would also force the Jets to actually manage themselves better, not count on a silver bullet to fix 30+ years of ineptitude.  It would make the GM actually have to do things the right way and build a team rather than hope some phenom rescues him.

I'm on the can the Jets win  a SB before I'm dead train . I don't care who or what QB gets us there i just want to visually feel and see the emotion.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Forget Lawrence.  JD, make a call to Brooks Bollinger to see if he'd consider a return to the Jets.

even if he deos come out and we somehow end up with the #1,

devil GIF

being that the Devil is still not convinced he has been properly compensated by Joe Namath

he'll turn out to be Ryan Leaf 2.0

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Generational talents don't have to worry about all that jazz.

A truly generational QB talent will be #1 this year, or #1 next year.  IF he is actually generational, of course.

What he can (and IMO will) control is which scrapheap franchise he goes to, as much as is possible.

There is, again IMO, no chance T.L. ever plays a snap as a NY Jet.  And I can't fault him if he doesn't want to.  I've loved this franchise for most of 40 years, but I wouldn't want my own son (if I had one) to come play here.  The NY Jets Franchise is a career-killer.  

So I fully expect a game of chicken to be played, to see who will blink.  I'm betting it'll be JD and Gase.

And like I said, that's when I expect our forum to explode with "Well, akshually, Fields is the real hidden gem in this draft!" threads.

Great post.  The only thing I'll add is that the draft, even amongst longtime football experts, is always an inexact science.  Show me the very few guys who nailed that Lamar, Allen, Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen should be the 2018 Draft order for QBs and I'll buy those guys beers.  There are very few of them.  So it could, in fact, turn out that Fields becomes a great QB or even the best of this next class, but it won't be because a bunch of people here saw it coming.  We still haven't seen Tua play yet but tanking for him in hindsight now doesn't seem all that worth it given what the Chargers may have landed with Herbert.

Watching the Jets actually have to right their ship WITHOUT the benefit of Lawrence will be the interesting thing, and something that most NFL fans would want to see happen as a disincentive to tanking. There are no shortcuts, JD has to do some work here.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

He didn't say anything!  And being the first number one overall pick isn't something that you layover till you feel better about your pro chances.  One injury and you're done.

how'd it work out for leinart?  not very well as i recall.  leinart might've gone in the top five.  instead he stayed on for one more party year, and then sucked terribly as a qb.

You can tell from his body language the national meidas trashing of the Jets organization has got to him. That is why his attitude has changed from this is last year to its a tough decision. Highly unfortunate to have the media against you in this situation.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

38 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Man, talk about reading into a nothing statement.

This is the circular anti-Jets fan/NY media/ national media news cycle.

The anti- owner/ coaching regime/ masochist/ sadist fans make the suggestion, NY media latches on, the national media catches on to the sensationalistic negativity. The fans become more agitated and the media responds with more sensationalism.

An uroboros of negativity

This will probably devolve into Lawrence being asked daily about the draft and the Jets.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsbb said:

You can tell from his body language the national meidas trashing of the Jets organization has got to him. That is why his attitude has changed from this is last year to its a tough decision. Highly unfortunate to have the media against you in this situation.

His body language? WTF are you even saying?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2