Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence hints at returning to school for his senior year

Rhg1084

33 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He didn’t say “but now”. “But now” implies that something changed his mind and now he doesn’t know if he wants to come out.  I just read the full quote.  It’s a whole lot of nothing.

If he does stay?  Just take Fields.

I included is actual quote

I can't imagine Douglas is going to walk into this situation without some plan of attack.  Despite as somebody said, "we have no leeway."  But everything is conditional on us owning the pick in the first place.  So there's nothing connecting ua to Lawrence right now.  If he doesn't want to play for the Jets.. then "it's happened before and it will happen again."  Lawrence became the number one topic around her once it appeared Sam's potential was nuked.  There will be somebody else if Lawrence goes out of the picture. 

We'll find some way to hate ourselves despite what happens.  So don't worry.  That's the most important thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

You can tell from his body language the national meidas trashing of the Jets organization has got to him. That is why his attitude has changed from this is last year to its a tough decision. Highly unfortunate to have the media against you in this situation.

Do you even know what the term "body language"  means? Where have you seen his "body language" in reference to coming to the Jets? 

45 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You get 40-50% on the dollar for those insurance policies. And, unless you want a HUGE premium, they are for your first expected contract only.

In terms of lifetime value, and not just contract money but endorsements, fame, championships, etc. it's a better longterm decision to end up in the right situation.  Trevor can go to the Jets and try to do for them what Barry Sanders did for the Lions, or he can try to get to a historically better run franchise and try to have an Emmitt Smith or Walter Payton type career.

It's very similar to a little test I'd do with my kids when they were each about 6 years old.  I'd put an Oreo on a plate in front of my kid, watch his eyes get wide as he licks his lips, and then I'd tell him, "I'll be back in 15 minutes.  You can eat that cookie right now, it's yours.  But if you don't eat it then when I get back I'll give you 3 more."  It tests the ability to see longterm value, to delay gratification or the immediate dollar/cookie, when the longer term payoff could be so much more.

(FYI - The boy ate the cookie immediately. :D A couple years later I did the experiment with my daughter, she waited and when I got back asked if she could actually get 5 cookies if she waited 10 more minutes.  Right then I knew who to trust with the inheritance. lol) 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

In terms of lifetime value, and not just contract money but endorsements, fame, championships, etc. it's a better longterm decision to end up in the right situation.  Trevor can go to the Jets and try to do for them what Barry Sanders did for the Lions, or he can try to get to a historically better run franchise and try to have an Emmitt Smith or Walter Payton type career.

It's very similar to a little test I'd do with my kids when they were each about 6 years old.  I'd put an Oreo on a plate in front of my kid, watch his eyes get wide as he licks his lips, and then I'd tell him, "I'll be back in 15 minutes.  You eat that cookie right now, it's yours.  But if you don't eat it then when I get back I'll give you 3 more."  It tests the ability to see longterm value, to delay gratification or the immediate dollar/cookie, when the longer term payoff could be so much more.

(FYI - The boy ate the cookie immediately. :D A couple years later I did the experiment with my daughter, she waited and when I got back asked if she could actually get 5 cookies if she waited 10 more minutes.  Right then I knew who to trust with the inheritance. lol) 

That is  a great story, and I truly admire your parenting skills and devotion to your tots, but I will make the subtle suggestion that this is a slightly different situation, with different stakes.

And I am positive your children have turned out wonderfully, because I am sure they reeflect you.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't read anything into this until later in the college season but if I'm him I'm also seriously considering staying versus playing for this team. The Jets look like a 0-16 team and so far JD has not proven himself capable of steering this ship into competitive seas. Do you want to risk going pro to a team that will probably make you look terrible, risk injury and harm your ability to win a starting role anywhere else? Or do you take a year of college where an injury or bad year might sink you back to a lower contract but land on a better team and better long term contracts? Outside of a career limiting injury in college I'm not sure over the long term that another year of college is necessarily the worse option for him. 

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Do you even know what the term "body language"  means? Where have you seen his "body language" in reference to coming to the Jets? 

Hid body language and words are in reference to his answer to the question if this was his last year. His answer is different then what he gave at the beginning of the year because of the constant barrage of articles from the national media saying he should spurn the Jets.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

That is  a great story, and I truly admire your parenting skills and devotion to your tots, but I will make the subtle suggestion that this is a slightly different situation, with different stakes.

And I am positive your children have turned out wonderfully, because I am sure they reeflect you.

Ha!  Appreciate that.  They're heading into their teenage years....and acting like it!  So the wife and I are doomed. :P

And I agree regarding Lawrence, it's not a perfect analogy and the situations are different.  But trying to be objective about Trevor, I think he should think about his longterm prospects when making a decision he'll only get to make once in his life.  I have no idea how good or bad Sam Darnold would be someplace else but I'd hazard a guess that things would have worked out better for him if he ended up with a better run franchise and better coaching.  It's amazing that he looked 10X better at the end of his rookie year than he's looking now, and I only think it's partially his fault.

• Sympathy 1

If he stays in school, so be it.  Then we have to rebuild the right way. Build the OL, Add some weapons on the outside,  Maybe a guy to run the ball who is still in his 20s.  A TE, any TE.  We haven't had one of those for years.  Rebuild the other 10 positions on offense and add the QB last, when we have some semblance of a competent offense.

If we get the #1 pick and Lawrence declares, take him.  But we still have a major need to upgrade just about every other position on offense outside of LT and slot receiver (assuming Crowder is not traded).  Hopefully MIms shows that X is not a need either, but way too premature to draw that conclusion now.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

New plan, tank for ... Fields?

I’d be curious how they phrased the question to him. If the question was directly about the Jets (as the article implies) it could just be Lawrence showing respect to Darnold. Lawrence’s quotes are basically, “we’ll see what happens.”

"No matter where I go -- whether that's across the country or whether it's close to home, whether I stay another year -- we'll work it out," Lawrence said.

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Ha!  Appreciate that.  They're heading into their teenage years....and acting like it!  So the wife and I are doomed. :P

And I agree regarding Lawrence, it's not a perfect analogy and the situations are different.  But trying to be objective about Trevor, I think he should think about his longterm prospects when making a decision he'll only get to make once in his life.  I have no idea how good or bad Sam Darnold would be someplace else but I'd hazard a guess that things would have worked out better for him if he ended up with a better run franchise and better coaching.  It's amazing that he looked 10X better at the end of his rookie year than he's looking now, and I only think it's partially his fault.

Agree. Now is not the time to make any decisions or declarations. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Well this is scary, right?

But there is still a significant chance that the Jets don’t even get the number one pick, maybe moot point.

But also any advisers I think should loom at the Jets situation objectively. The next HC if the New York Jets will be paired and in a way almost personally selected for Trevor Lawrence.  The Jets GM is committed to building an O-line.  Franchise LT is in place. Promising young wideout in MIms (maybe?), and more cap room and draft capital than any other team.  But yeah, they’re still the Jets but they can objectively make you more money than any other team, not deferring a year of salary, paying top overall money, plus the New York market.

But isn't that kind of the point?  lol.  Wouldn't it, at least in theory, be a situation where if the Jets get the # 1 pick, he stays in school.  Anybody else, he enters the draft?

50 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I included is actual quote

No you didn’t.  I watched the video.  You added one huge word to his actual quote that changes the entire quote into something else.  Not once does he say “but now”.  He just says “but who knows”.  Again, adding “but now” implies that something recent has changed his mind.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But isn't that kind of the point?  lol.  Wouldn't it, at least in theory, be a situation where if the Jets get the # 1 pick, he stays in school.  Anybody else, he enters the draft?

Or the Jets get the #2 pick.  He smiles and declares for the Draft.  Jets trade up to #1. lol

• Haha 3

Eh, you guys worry too much about this stuff. 

If he wants to be here, great. If he doesn't: 1) We can't do anything about it and 2) It's probably for the best that we don't put all of our eggs in the basket of a guy who doesn't want to be here, anyway. 

Whoever the next QB is, we really want a guy who openly embraces the challenge of helping to turn this franchise around. We don't want someone looking to duck that responsibility. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Did any of you actually watch the video in which the question is asked and answered?

I did before I got on JN and read this thread, and I take it the opposite of what most are taking it.

The reporter firsts acknowledges it's widely been discussed this is his last year, then asks "is there anything that can change that?"

Lawrence then gives about a 45 second coach speak non answer that does include things like we'll have to see, who knows, lots of factors go into that.  Lawrence himself also acknowledges he's always thought it was likely he's gone, and doesn't say that's no longer the case.  Then says what every single player asked that question in October would say, that they are focusing on this year.

Can you link to the full video?

29 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It's very similar to a little test I'd do with my kids when they were each about 6 years old.  I'd put an Oreo on a plate in front of my kid, watch his eyes get wide as he licks his lips, and then I'd tell him, "I'll be back in 15 minutes.  You can eat that cookie right now, it's yours.  But if you don't eat it then when I get back I'll give you 3 more."  It tests the ability to see longterm value, to delay gratification or the immediate dollar/cookie, when the longer term payoff could be so much more.

Not sure if you knew this beforehand, but this exact method you utilized was conducted in numerous studies since 1972.  The original study used marshmallows:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment

Kudos are due for conducting this with your kids.  SPECIAL kudos if you did so without any knowledge of these studies beforehand!

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That’s the goofy impression that I’ve been under.

I guess playing for the...uhhh...Jacksonville Jaguars is super enticing compared to the Jets...

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not sure if you knew this beforehand, but this exact method you utilized was conducted in numerous studies since 1972.  The original study used marshmallows:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment

Kudos are due for conducting this with your kids.  SPECIAL kudos if you did so without any knowledge of these studies beforehand!

Didn't know about the marshmallow study but I did have someone do a similar experiment on me a long time ago so I can't take full credit.  

Actually, it was a girl I dated in high school.  She said, "I'll let you get to 2nd base right now but if you wait until next weekend...." :P

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

About 80 % of the traits of successful kids are based on what parents bring to the table before they even decide to have kids (DNA + personality traits, socioeconomics, etc).  Many parents fret about HOW they choose to raise their kids.  But really all that matters is that you're involved.

Any parent who would run the "delay of gratification" experiment with his kids when they're 6 is probably going to end up with very successful kids, regardless of how the experiment turned out.  

It's similar to that old myth that playing classical music when your kids are in the womb or very young will help their IQ's, because of the correlation demonstrated between the 2.  In actuality, a parent who cares enough about his/her kids to play them classical music with the hopes that it will help them is also the kind of parent who will help their kids maximize their abilities anyways, because of their own traits.

• Haha 1