Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence hints at returning to school for his senior year

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

That’s the goofy impression that I’ve been under.

I guess playing for the...uhhh...Jacksonville Jaguars is super enticing compared to the Jets...

Well....at least Jacksonville is in SEC territory, where Lawrence grew up.  And the expectations would be a lot lower.

Granted....do we really want a kid who would desire a nice, comfy atmosphere like that?  Don't we want a QB with a bit of a chip on his shoulder and the ability to battle through some adversity?  I dunno.  If this really happens, I wouldn't blame Lawrence for doing what's best for him.  And I also wouldn't really be bothered about it, either.  Move on to the next QB on the wishlist.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aww, he's adorable if he thinks he can escape us.

Yes, and Kyler was going to play baseball

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Or the Jets get the #2 pick.  He smiles and declares for the Draft.  Jets trade up to #1. lol

This is actually kind of plausible, lol.  Say Jacksonville gets pick # 1, but is sold on Minshew.  They can get a lot from us by moving down to # 2.  They could even trade down AGAIN from # 2, to a team who wants Fields.

For what it's worth, I have a tough time seeing him choose to stay in school. That would be a bold, bold move. 

Remember, when Peyton Manning did that, he was: 1) Still chasing a national championship and 2) not guaranteed to be the first pick by Parcells who was big on taking QBs who played all four years in college. 

If Lawrence is dead set against the Jets, I think he just comes out and flat out tells the Jets he doesn't want to come. 

• Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is actually kind of plausible, lol.  Say Jacksonville gets pick # 1, but is sold on Minshew.  They can get a lot from us by moving down to # 2.  They could even trade down AGAIN from # 2, to a team who wants Fields.

Nope they’re talking about bending him for full mode tank, he doesn’t have the arm talent 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Amazing.  Minshew, a 2019 6th round pick, has a 34 TD / 11 INT ratio to date with a terrible team, yet the Jaguars are about done with him after just 19 starts.  

Darnold, a 2018 # 3 overall pick, has a 39/34 ratio in 31 starts and yet quite a few Jets fans still think he can be "the guy".

Jets fans need to up their QB standards significantly.

IMO, it's a manifestation of the psychological power of expectations.

Jets fans really believed in Darnold when he was drafted - consensus best QB in the draft, plenty of physical talent, seemingly great demeanor, no off the field issues at all, no character concerns. 

If Darnold was picked in the 6th round, he'd already be gone, most likely. 

• Upvote 3

I have a few things to vent:

What is it about the Jets that makes it ok to dump an unlimited amount of garbage on us by the national media, late night talk shows and now even former NFL players who previously cared only about getting the most money possible?  Are we the first team that ever sucked before or am I missing something?   

When do you guys think  it will be ok to actually start rooting for our team to win games?  Losing them all each year doesn't seem to be improving things all that much.

Which current coach will be fired in 2020 that our idiot owners will fall in love with as the newest genius that we must have?  Any chance Kotite comes out of retirement?

How is it possible for a professional team to yield a total of 4 yards in a half?

To paraphrase Mel Brooks the time has come to act and act immediately.  I'm leaving... 

images.jpg

• Thumb Down 1
26 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Not a chance in hell this happens. TL would be risking injury and worse. This is the media going off on its “LOLJets” fetish. And it’s getting old really fast.

Really Fast?

LOL It's been going on since the mid 70's  :)

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

Hid body language and words are in reference to his answer to the question if this was his last year. His answer is different then what he gave at the beginning of the year because of the constant barrage of articles from the national media saying he should spurn the Jets.

Again, I just don't think we've seen any body language regarding this decision. 

Also do we have quotes from him from before the season saying he was definitely coming out? 

This is just the media feeding off insecure Jets fans who seemingly want to believe the worst is going to happen. 

If he stays at Clemson its because he's not a big time player who thinks he can get it done anywhere. 2021, stay in school to avoid an 0-16 or 1-15 type team. OK. Wait until 2022 and get selected by another.. 1-15 or 0-16 team. NYJ > Cleveland Brown type wasteland. He doesn't come out, I won't shed any tears. He's a bum who is dead to me after that.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Lith said:

If he stays in school, so be it.  Then we have to rebuild the right way. Build the OL, Add some weapons on the outside,  Maybe a guy to run the ball who is still in his 20s.  A TE, any TE.  We haven't had one of those for years.  Rebuild the other 10 positions on offense and add the QB last, when we have some semblance of a competent offense.

If we get the #1 pick and Lawrence declares, take him.  But we still have a major need to upgrade just about every other position on offense outside of LT and slot receiver (assuming Crowder is not traded).  Hopefully MIms shows that X is not a need either, but way too premature to draw that conclusion now.

Take TL at 1. That's not rebuilding the right way as you stated so properly at the start of your post

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

No you didn’t.  I watched the video.  You added one huge word to his actual quote that changes the entire quote into something else.  Not once does he say “but now”.  He just says “but who knows”.  Again, adding “but now” implies that something recent has changed his mind.

Did you read the bottom part in quotes? Its his actual quote from the article. 

Stop over analyzing just to be right. To be honest, I dont care what the kid does 

Would you pass up $30m in career earnings to risk injury? Lawrence will be coming out and if the Jets hold that pick he will be our QB. If I'm dealing with percentages:

95% - Going #1 in 2021

4% - Pulls an Eli and refuses to play for Jets

1% - He joins the military

0% - He returns to school

• Like 1

I agree it doesn’t make much sense for him to return but we saw Justin Herbert return for his senior year when he was a consensus top 3 pick in the draft that year. Who knows what goes thru these guys minds when making decisions 

Joe Burrow said this last year

"If they select me, they select me"
“Look, this is a long process, right?” Burrow said. “They have their process that they have to go through, and so I am blessed to be in the position I’m in. If they select me, they select me, I’m going to do everything in my power to be the best football player I can be.”

“It’s a long process in the next couple of months,” Burrow said. “We have the combine. We have pro days. There is a long time until the draft. There is a lot of information in a lot of different places. A lot of people saying a lot of things. I’m just focused on training right now.”
...That wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement and Bengals message board basically had same fears as we did last year http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Burrow-If-they-select-me-they-select-me
I'm just saying if you have the chance to be the #1 pick its very unlikely you are going to turn that down...and NY isnt a bad place to land no matter the current state of the team.  
2 hours ago, NYJ37/12 said:

He said his mindset has always been to leave but now who knows? How is that reading into, its stated?

Quote: My mindset has been that I'm going to move on," Lawrence said Tuesday. "But who knows? There's a lot of things that could happen."

He said but "Who Knows", not "now Who Knows" which would insinuate I do not want to be drafted by the Jets. "Who Knows" might mean I don't want to play yet in the NFL since they are handling Covid badly like most of the country and they handle it better in college and you know I don't want to risk dying.

• Confused 1
52 minutes ago, genot said:

Take TL at 1. That's not rebuilding the right way as you stated so properly at the start of your post

I know.  But sometimes, you are in the store.  You have money to spend and you see that nice shiny new toy on the shelf and ya just have to have it.

If they do go TL: at 1, my hope would be they sit him for most of that rookie year.  Trade Darnold if you can get anythign for him, sign a journeyman vet to start the season, don't rush Lawrence or any orrkie inot the lineup.  Let him start in 2022 after redshirting most of 21.

1 hour ago, Ian Fleming said:

This is the circular anti-Jets fan/NY media/ national media news cycle.

The anti- owner/ coaching regime/ masochist/ sadist fans make the suggestion, NY media latches on, the national media catches on to the sensationalistic negativity. The fans become more agitated and the media responds with more sensationalism.

An uroboros of negativity

This will probably devolve into Lawrence being asked daily about the draft and the Jets.

solid

1. Graphical representation of a Möbius strip. | Download Scientific Diagram

18 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

:I'd rather have a barracuda bite my dick off than play for the Jets!"

Barracuda have poor eyesight, and are very attracted to reflective, metallic objects- they will think they are spotting silver fish, which is what they most commonly eat. Remember to avoid wearing earrings or other jewelry while swimming in cloudy water.

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

After seeing Darnold play, I started taking some snaps. I advise all of you to sling the ball around this weekend. There’s got to be a QB among us.

Stay on the couch. The NY Jets have Mike White,David Fales,James Morgan and can always claim Josh Rosen from TB practice squad. 

• Upvote 2
25 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Joe Burrow said this last year

"If they select me, they select me"
“Look, this is a long process, right?” Burrow said. “They have their process that they have to go through, and so I am blessed to be in the position I’m in. If they select me, they select me, I’m going to do everything in my power to be the best football player I can be.”

“It’s a long process in the next couple of months,” Burrow said. “We have the combine. We have pro days. There is a long time until the draft. There is a lot of information in a lot of different places. A lot of people saying a lot of things. I’m just focused on training right now.”
...That wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement and Bengals message board basically had same fears as we did last year http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Burrow-If-they-select-me-they-select-me
I'm just saying if you have the chance to be the #1 pick its very unlikely you are going to turn that down...and NY isnt a bad place to land no matter the current state of the team.  

Exactly. Mayfield didn't want to play for the Browns. No one wants to play for the Browns. He just wanted to be the number one overall pick and to get paid like the number one overall pick. Trevor is no different. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not sure if you knew this beforehand, but this exact method you utilized was conducted in numerous studies since 1972.  The original study used marshmallows:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment

Kudos are due for conducting this with your kids.  SPECIAL kudos if you did so without any knowledge of these studies beforehand!

only flaw in the design is...   what if the person doesnt WANT more than one cookie, or marshmallow...  and is simply satisfied with having a reasonable amount of sugar?

56 minutes ago, genot said:

Taking a QB at 1 does not preclude the Jets from building "the right way". 

Last I checked, we have three other 1st round picks over the next 2 drafts.  8 picks in the first 5 rounds in 2021.  With more, potentially, to come if Douglas swings any more trades.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Icer said:

The self loathing pessimist types around here really start to get grating with their negativity

i sumbit that it is perfectly legit to say " the mfing pussies around here"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1