Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence hints at returning to school for his senior year

Rhg1084

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

We spurned Peyton.  Belichick spurned us after a 5 minute phone call with Woody Johnson the incoming owner

If you didn’t see this with Lawrence coming from a mile away I don’t know what else to say 

It took Bill Belichick about 5 minutes to realize that Woody Johnson was going to be a train wreck.  Yet there are still a few Jets fans who think he's just great.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

Yes I did answer it. His leverage is announcing he doesn't want to play for the Jets and if he is picked he will sit out and enter the draft the following year. I guarantee you 100% Douglas caves to his demands because he has shown he will cave the two times it happened.

Getting two firsts and a 3rd, and in the process sending Adams to a team that wasn't his # 1 preference, isn't exactly "caving".  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

Yes I did answer it. His leverage is announcing he doesn't want to play for the Jets and if he is picked he will sit out and enter the draft the following year. I guarantee you 100% Douglas caves to his demands because he has shown he will cave the two times it happened.

YOu are comparing apples vs oranges. Players on the roster vs a draft selection. 

First, Douglas traded/released those players on his terms. Adams was a nuisance, was not termed part of the long term solution, and was dealt with a very good return. 

Secondly, Bell was an ill fit to this team, and did not serve a purpose for wheat the Jets were wanting to accomplish this year. Douglas eliminated a little early here to allow them to see other players. Everyone knew Bell was gone after this offseason due to contract offset monies.

Now, to the subject at hand. Let’s say the Jets hold the number one pick. Let’s say they value Lawrence with that pick. Well then, Lawrence can decide not to enter the draft. He will likely cost himself $25m in lifetime earnings, that he cant earn back at the end of his contract. And with that decision, he risks possible injury in his senior year. The risk is as great as if the injury is serious, he may lose his dream of playing in the NFL.

And, even with all that, he may be faced with the Jets holding the same pick the next year. 

Or, he may decide to hold out. He would have to sit out for the whole year in that case and not play football. Only to have that same chance of being re-drafted by the Jets the following year. Again, those earnings are lost, and he will have not played football.

Or, he can try to force a trade. He really has no say in where he goes. And Douglas, if he is so inclined to trade him, holds all the cards in terms getting a package that he wants.

So, as you see, Lawrence really has little leverage. The only thing he can force is delaying receiving significant salary, and possibly risk injury, all in return for maybe being in the exact same situation a year later, or not controlling his destination.

3 minutes ago, stripes said:

Hey folks, Bengals fan here.

Just stopping by, because I have observed some of the national media rumblings lately about what Trevor Lawrence will or should do to avoid the New York Jets. I hope y'all can manage to ignore all of that bull crap, because my fanbase saw all of the same garbage last year up to the 2020 draft about Joe Burrow. Talking heads swore up and down that he should "pull an Eli Manning", and interpreted every word he uttered as some kind of hint that he would do so. It was never true at all, and Burrow has been a goddamn professional and team leader ever since the day he was picked.

I don't know if the Jets will get the #1 pick, but if they do and if they pick Lawrence (god help y'all if not), then it will be fine. Not everyone is an Elway or an Eli, and I highly doubt Lawrence plays as a senior in college just to tear all his knee ligaments and screw himself over.

If Lawrence is a Jet, then I hope he and Burrow are fighting over the AFC in a few years while both of our franchises take massive metaphorical sh*ts all over ESPN's, Fox Sports', PFT's, and CBS Sports' lawns.

Nice post and I have watched some of Burrows games this year. He looks to be the real deal and has some nice receivers. Now build that o-line and bolster the defense. The hard part is taken care of. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

YOu are comparing apples vs oranges. Players on the roster vs a draft selection. 

First, Douglas traded/released those players on his terms. Adams was a nuisance, was not termed part of the long term solution, and was dealt with a very good return. 

Secondly, Bell was an ill fit to this team, and did not serve a purpose for wheat the Jets were wanting to accomplish this year. Douglas eliminated a little early here to allow them to see other players. Everyone knew Bell was gone after this offseason due to contract offset monies.

Now, to the subject at hand. Let’s say the Jets hold the number one pick. Let’s say they value Lawrence with that pick. Well then, Lawrence can decide not to enter the draft. He will likely cost himself $25m in lifetime earnings, that he cant earn back at the end of his contract. And with that decision, he risks possible injury in his senior year. The risk is as great as if the injury is serious, he may lose his dream of playing in the NFL.

And, even with all that, he may be faced with the Jets holding the same pick the next year. 

Or, he may decide to hold out. He would have to sit out for the whole year in that case and not play football. Only to have that same chance of being re-drafted by the Jets the following year. Again, those earnings are lost, and he will have not played football.

Or, he can try to force a trade. He really has no say in where he goes. And Douglas, if he is so inclined to trade him, holds all the cards in terms getting a package that he wants.

So, as you see, Lawrence really has little leverage. The only thing he can force is delaying receiving significant salary, and possibly risk injury, all in return for maybe being in the exact same situation a year later, or not controlling his destination.

Plus he’s giving up being in the media capital of the world.  His endorsement potential is max here.  Any agent he gets will push him to the Jets.  He’d be dumb not to capitalize his brand.  OBJ made a lifetime in endorsements because he made that catch when he was a Giant.  If he made that catch as a Brown I don’t think he would have made nearly as much.

Also the Jets will have a ton of picks and near the top of the league in cap space.  I for one think Trevor actually wants to come here.

• Upvote 2