Ohio St QB Justin Fields.

44 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Actually watch the OSU Clemson game

Fields big plays in that game he throws after the receivers make their breaks and get at least 5 yards separation.  Also, Sermon went nuts on that game and Clemson defense was stacking the box trying to contain him 

I didn't watch the game - just the highlights clip with the sound off - and this just isn't at all true.

• One of the two shorter early ones (one from 8 the other from 12) his receiver was blanketed on both, with just a narrow throwing lane for any potential TD. The first had 5 defenders in coverage, blitzing an obvious pass, with Fields delivering right as he's about to get hit. 
  • There was another that was the other one from 8-9 yds that any QB would have to wait for the receiver's comeback break move (to see if he makes such a move at all, if he does where is the break going, and does the db bite or is he still on top of the receiver in a position to make a play on the ball if not pick it off outright?) -- anyway it wasn't nearly 5 yards of separation (let alone at least 5 yards). 
  • In between was one where he rolled out left - right after taking that blow to the rear ribs - and threw across his body to an open target. Is his man that open if the threat of him keeping it to his left isn't there? Maybe it was that much space because Fields allowed the play to develop as defenders moved towards the QB's side if not began pursuing the QB outright. This is the only one with 5 yards of separation, and it was exactly 5 yards.
  • A bomb where his man had the coverage beat by maybe 2-3 yards (which required hitting his man downfield or it's worthless). At the time he released the ball (and when he mentally committed to tossing it down there) it looks like there was maybe 1-2 yards separating receiver from defender. More separation occurred while the ball was in the air but I don't see how that's on the guy throwing it; it was on the money whether the db kept up or lost another yard.
  • Another bomb where the throw was maybe a yard shy of ideal - 3 yds became 1 yd when the receiver was tracking & caught it - but easier said than done that far downfield in a game where a QB sustained a throwing side rib injury. As it is our current QB doesn't even throw the ball when his guy has that kind of separation, if he does who knows where it's going to land, and that's when he doesn't have a scratch on him.  

From the "he sucks"-toned critique, you'd think every one of these passes were off target, and the only reason they were completed is there was 5-10 yards of separation. There's no truth to it, though.  

I don't really know nor do I care what Fields becomes (unless the Jets draft him of course). He may be a huge mistake pick at #2, but your assessment above isn't exactly accurate.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Actually watch the OSU Clemson game

Fields big plays in that game he throws after the receivers make their breaks and get at least 5 yards separation.  Also, Sermon went nuts on that game and Clemson defense was stacking the box trying to contain him 

Have no idea which game you watched.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Daniel Jeremiah was on the Rich Eisen show today to talk Jets among other topics. I thought some of his comments were interesting.

- Says he feels the Jets would be best served to take a QB and start fresh with a new coach coming in.

- Says there are no tackles in the draft worth the #2 pick. He has Rashawn Slater rated as his best OT, above Sewell.

Jets talk starts at 2:40. He also briefly gives a Fields / Lawrence evaluation at the start of the video.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Fields is a glorified Geno

Jets can sign a QB to compete with Sam and actually try to build a solid roster

Geno ran an air raid offense (shotgun spread quick release) in college. I'm pretty sure that wasn't what I was watching Fields run during the Ohio Clemson game. What was the bowl game Geno played in? The pinstripe bowl or some sh*t like that? There were also character concern with Geno which is why he dropped out of the first round. He then proved those concerns correct when he got his jaw broken. I hope that he remembers that he isn't on east coast time now that he is in Seattle.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Fields is nothing like Geno. He actually throws the ball down field. Biggest issue I have with Fields, which is probably correctable, is that he always seems a beat or two late with his throws. He'll make the correct read but wait until his guy breaks open to throw it. Would like to have seen more anticipation throws from him. I feel like if you draft him to need to sit him for a year. He could really use another year of college experience, but his draft stock will probably never be higher than it currently is.

12 hours ago, GreenFish said:

The same nonsense about OSU QBs was said about USC QBs. Watch the tape! We were told USC QBs always bust. Well Big Macc blocked out the noise and drafted Darnold. Wait...where was I going with this again?

Palmer, Sanchez and even Sam are better than the last dozen OSU Qbs in the nfl

And it’s not even close

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, PS17 said:

Well, they’re black. Which is everyone’s lazy comparison. Haskins and Geno, get fcking real. 

What do Fields and Haskins have in common besides same program, same offense, same coaching staff, both having sick receivers and running games defenses have to sell out to try to stop?

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

What do Fields and Haskins have in common besides same program, same offense, same coaching staff, both having sick receivers and running games defenses have to sell out to try to stop?

How about actually watching their tape and comparing their traits as QBs you lazy SOB. They are nothing alike aside from being black Ohio st qbs

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Are Deshaun Watson and Tajh Boyd the same QB for similar reasons?

So now we’re punishing guys for playing at schools with good talent?  You can’t punish a guy for doing what everyone wants to do - get a QB, surround him with talent and play the game using that talent.  Fields does a great job getting the ball to his playmakers.  He throws an excellent deep ball.  When the RBs are going off, he takes advantage of the soft box and play action.

everyone has always said “gEt sAm wEaPoNs”. You can’t use the fact that guys have weapons and are good because of it against them.

18 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Are Deshaun Watson and Tajh Boyd the same QB for similar reasons?

Tee Martin and Peyton Manning are similar (Martin actually won a championship so he might be better)

Herbert and all the other duck QBs

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, fullblast said:

Daniel Jeremiah was on the Rich Eisen show today to talk Jets among other topics. I thought some of his comments were interesting.

- Says he feels the Jets would be best served to take a QB and start fresh with a new coach coming in.

- Says there are no tackles in the draft worth the #2 pick. He has Rashawn Slater rated as his best OT, above Sewell.

Jets talk starts at 2:40. He also briefly gives a Fields / Lawrence evaluation at the start of the video.

Jeremiah is close with JD, his thinking on the situation might be in line with JD's philosophy as well. Could be looking to get a fresh start for all parties involved with the coaching change.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

You realize that the Ohio State running game didn’t really get going till later in the year. Teams are selling out to stop their passing game which opens up the run. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, QB1 said:

You realize that the Ohio State running game didn’t really get going till later in the year. Teams are selling out to stop their passing game which opens up the run. 

A good running game opens up the passing game. 

Something the NY Jets haven't realized in years. 

Just now, Philc1 said:

I did.  Clemson sold out to stop Sermon who had 193 yards rushing and Fields had his first progressions wide open all night

Not true, but ok. Clemson actually used much of the same defense that they had used to stop Fields the year before. The 3 high safety look. Last year, he tried to throw through that look and got burned. This year when they presented it, he checked down. Then when they went off it, he went deep middle and burned them. Actually, pretty impressively.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I did.  Clemson sold out to stop Sermon who had 193 yards rushing and Fields had his first progressions wide open all night

What game did you watch?

You keep repeating the most mind numbing comments about Fields, youre blaming Clemson for Fields having a great game and then complaining that Fields didnt have a great game.  And actually telling us you watched the game, have a clue about QB and didnt see a QB who went through progressions?  We're all imagining it?  McShay imagined it?  

Stop already, you dont have to make shlt up, just say you would pass

• Upvote 1