Ohio St QB Justin Fields.

5 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Yes, but wouldn't it be better to have a complete team of studs and then draft the young quarterback?

Besides, who says someone doesn't come along even better in 21?

Burrows and Murray practically came out of nowhere. 

In theory, yes, it would be better to add the young QB to a loaded team. But the Jets don't have that luxury. They need a legit QB. Darnold doesn't look like he can be that guy. The Jets should take the best young QB prospect they can get their hands on.  

Also, Burrow and Murray are bad examples - they were both picked number 1 overall. 

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

@Lith could definitely explain it in more detail than I could, but anyone with two eyes could see that Fields was light years ahead of Fromm in terms of talent.  Kirby Smart’s biggest mistake was playing it safe with the game-manager Fromm, and not taking the chance on developing a superstar talent like Fields.  Here’s a snippet from an article that somewhat explains it.  Long story short: Kirby felt that Fromm was a safer bet for his run heavy system, where the QB isn’t asked to do as much as they would at other programs:

4C412DD6-2C15-40C7-9115-43A9C7F451B7.jpeg.09bcda19f454654870c6b16514c6e492.jpeg

There also was an alleged incident where a member of Georgia’s baseball team supposedly called Fields a racial slur and he decided right then and there that he would no longer remain on that campus.  Apparently, this is the reason why Fields was allowed to immediately play after transferring.

I don't think Kirby quite new what to do with Fields.  Remember, a year earlier, Fromm took the team to within one play of the National Title.  He was loyal to Fromm.  Kirby tried to work Fields in with a read option package, but he was used mainly as a runner in the Georgia system.  Unfortuantely, in 2018/19 we saw how limited Fromm was when the running game was shut down and we needed him to do more than manage the game.  It was a tough spot for Kirby, coming off the Rose Bowl win and apperance in the Natty, but Fields should have been worked in better in 2018 and then should have been the guy in 2019.

There were a lot of questions around the program with the racial slur incident.  I have no way of knowing what really happened, but a lot of speculation that it was being used to get the NCAA to approve an immediate transfer without need to sit out the year, Allowing Fields to argue that hte NCAA should grant him immediate eligibiltiy so he could leave a racially insensitive environment.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I don't think Kirby quite new what to do with Fields.  Remember, a year earlier, Fromm took the team to within one play of the National Title.  He was loyal to Fromm.  Kirby tried to work Fields in with a read option package, but he was used mainly as a runner in the Georgia system.  Unfortuantely, in 2018/19 we saw how limited Fromm was when the running game was shut down and we needed him to do more than manage the game.  It was a tough spot for Kirby, coming off the Rose Bowl win and apperance in the Natty, but Fields should have been worked in better in 2018 and then should have been the guy in 2019.

There were a lot of questions around the program with the racial slur incident.  I have no way of knowing what really happened, but a lot of speculation that it was being used to get the NCAA to approve an immediate transfer without need to sit out the year, Allowing Fields to argue that hte NCAA should grant him immediate eligibiltiy so he could leave a racially insensitive environment.

Kirby I think is following the old school BAMA approach of building a great team, putting in a plug and play game manager QB and using defense to win.   BAMA has evolved from this and is spreading it out more.  Saban even came out recently as said that Offense now wins championships.   

This is my understanding on the racial slur as well.   A lot of kids were using a race incident at schools to get immediate eligibility.    

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Kirby I think is following the old school BAMA approach of building a great team, putting in a plug and play game manager QB and using defense to win.   BAMA has evolved from this and is spreading it out more.  Saban even came out recently as said that Offense now wins championships.   

This is my understanding on the racial slur as well.   A lot of kids were using a race incident at schools to get immediate eligibility.    

For what its worth. Fields' sister is a softball player on scholarship at UGA.  She could have a different experience than her brother, but If it was such a racially insensitive environment, would his sister still be there?

Also, to be clear, I have nothing against Fields.  He was not being used well at Georgia and did what was best for him.  I wish he was still a Dawg, but I am not going to criticize a kid for looking for a better situation.  More power to him.

Would love it if the Jags ended up with the #2 overall pick. Could trade our #1 for both their 2021 1st round picks, 2021 2, 2022 1st and 2022 3rd. Could draft Fields at two, get him O-line help and a competent WR in the first, and still have two more seconds and two more thirds this year. In all honesty, this way would probably set the Jets up better for the future. This would add on top of what we could get for Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

The more I see and read about Wilson, I'm starting to think he will move up quickly as the draft gets closer and will be the 3rd QB in the mix (with Lawrence & Fields)

Is he related to that Wilson QB who was also from BYU and played for the raiders? Isn’t he going to like 26 when he finally fulfills his mission?

23 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

If Trevor Lawrence shuns us and stays in school who cares this kid can be just as good if not better for the NY Jets. 

Trevor Lawrence is my 1st choice and Justin Fields is my 1B choice. 

At what point does the league consider the Johnsons lack of knowledge and conduct detrimental to the league? Numerous players, agents refusing to let clients talk or interview with the team? Players potentially holding out as to NOT play or be associated with this organization. Every year of ownership under them has SUCKED! Fans/ticket sales/merch, leaving daily. Take the fuucking team away from them. The absolute worst/poorly run franchise in the history of pro sports. No player can make this team better with those jerk off hobo sh*t clowns involved. Clearly the poster children for birth control! 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RJIII said:

At what point does the league consider the Johnsons lack of knowledge and conduct detrimental to the league? Numerous players, agents refusing to let clients talk or interview with the team? Players potentially holding out as to NOT play or be associated with this organization. Every year of ownership under them has SUCKED! Fans/ticket sales/merch, leaving daily. Take the fuucking team away from them. The absolute worst/poorly run franchise in the history of pro sports. No player can make this team better with those jerk off hobo sh*t clowns involved. Clearly the poster children for birth control! 

Agree but Roger the clown Goodell won't do damn thing about any of it. 

56 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Is he related to that Wilson QB who was also from BYU and played for the raiders? Isn’t he going to like 26 when he finally fulfills his mission?

Not seeing him related to Marc Wilson (who I think you are referring to).

Don't know where he stands regarding his mission.

40 minutes ago, RJIII said:

The Jets still make a ton of money win or lose, so why would the league care?

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Not seeing him related to Marc Wilson (who I think you are referring to).

Don't know where he stands regarding his mission.

Yep. Marc Wilson. Has BYU ever produced a really good nfl QB besides steve young? I’m sure some people would say McMahon but he was more on the right team at the right time.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Yep. Marc Wilson. Has BYU ever produced a really good nfl QB besides steve young? I’m sure some people would say McMahon but he was more on the right team at the right time.

They've had guys make  the NFL, but none would be considered really good except Young & McMahon.

Not really fair to lump current QB with past failures though

21 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

They've had guys make  the NFL, but none would be considered really good except Young & McMahon.

Not really fair to lump current QB with past failures though

Hard to say. BYU has just about always been known as a passing team.  USC has just about always been more like a pro set type team.  So until they make a change to their game philosophy they will have or want the same type of QBs.  So maybe these guys are more a product of their college systems.