Ohio St QB Justin Fields.

22 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Sure, I think this is fair. I think this organization has done an extremely poor job of putting Sam in a situation to succeed. But I also think Sam's biggest warts are the same warts he showed during his second season at USC. That, to me, is very telling and we have to be honest about what that likely means. He's probably always going to an erratic, turnover prone QB. 

I also look at it from a historical perspective. What percentage of QBs who play this badly in their 3rd year as an NFL starter eventually go on to turn into franchise QBs? I would venture to guess that percentage is very, very low.

In other words, it almost doesn't matter why Sam is this bad in his third year. The fact that he is this bad 31 starts into his NFL career is, by far, the most salient point. 

Problem is that many confuse "outlier" with "proof."

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Darnold's senior year (2017) - 13 INTs in 480 attempts (14 games).

Lawrence (2019) - 8 INTs in 407 attempts (15 games).

Not a glaring difference. If I recall, Darnold's main issue with turnovers in college were fumbles which he has cleaned up as a pro.

He has?  He's put the ball on the ground 17 times in his 31 starts (not sure how many he's lost).  That's a lot.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

On 10/30/2020 at 10:07 AM, Philc1 said:

You see open receivers?  You do realize most NFL QBs go through 1-2 progressions at most.  Maybe 3 IF they have excellent pass protection which Darnold has not had.  Play design is everything in the nfl.

the plays the Sam-haters keep crying about - one was Herndon getting open downfield on botched coverage.  The same Herndon who has had as many drops as catches this year and I guarantee Gase did not design that play for him

I am not a Sam hater, I wanted this kid to be IT more than you know.  However I try to be objective and I have seen Sam throw into double and triple coverage on way too many occasions, just like I have seen receivers open on routes and Sam either doesn't see them or sees them too late.   I understand some of it is lack of familiarity with his receivers and also poor play of the offensive line but if you are being honest you have to admit that Darnold has taken a step back in his development.   He appears to have lost confidence in himself and it showing up on the field. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, JetBlue said:

I am not a Sam hater, I wanted this kid to be IT more than you know.  However I try to be objective and I have seen Sam throw into double and triple coverage on way too many occasions, just like I have seen receivers open on routes and Sam either doesn't see them or sees them too late.   I understand some of it is lack of familiarity with his receivers and also poor play of the offensive line but if you are being honest you have to admit that Darnold has taken a step back in his development.   He appears to have lost confidence in himself and it showing up on the field. 

He has absolutely regressed from his rookie season. 

• Upvote 1

I'm enthralled with his swan-like gracefulness

In all seriousness, I haven't watched him nearly enough to have an opinion, but the moment we win a game, I'm sure planning to.  It would be nice to know there's a 1a and 1b just in case we do the unthinkable.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/31/2020 at 6:13 AM, FidelioJet said:

Maybe Ohio State QB's aren't a fan of you!

I will take the QB who beat Alabama, Norte Dame and Oklahoma in the post season. Lawrence lost to an LSU team that had 14 players drafted in the NFL in rounds 1 - 3.

You can have Fields. Best of luck to you because you will need it. https://www.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2019/01/ca3dff2ec14808/where-ohio-state-quarterbacks.html

On 10/31/2020 at 11:34 AM, JetBlue said:

Sam has not played well no doubt. He has not seen open receivers and made dumb plays.  He’s getting knocked around, needs to rally a pathetic team and often on the run. He’s trying to make plays and often with this team such is more risky. 

If the Jets could draft a young Brandon Marshall and another strong offensive lineman, Id take that over a rookie QB.  But, Id ask also for a full offseason while at it. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2020 at 11:52 AM, joewilly12 said:

Great comparison. 

He doesn't remind me of Russell Wilson @ all. He reminds me more of a younger Aaron Rodgers or more likely a Dak Prescott on steroids; he's going to become an NFL star. 

I'm all in on Trevor Lawrence 100% but whatever team drafts Justin Fields #2 overall is going to receive a great talent in return. 

When you look @ Trevor's #s. Then look at Fields' numbers and then look @ Sam's USC numbers? You'll see a difference. TL/JF are putting up generational type statistics compared to Sam who was nothing but a USC turnover machine who received ESPN media hype due to one Rose Bowl performance @ Penn State as a Freshman. We were tricked. Sam was NEVER this great in college; ever. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2