Ohio St QB Justin Fields.

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, HtownJet said:

Fields looking damn good. You guys still think Lawrence is better?

I’m loving watching the beatdown Justin Fields is laying on Clemson and the projected first pick in the Nation.

The Jets #2 pick is looking like Gold right now, whereas I was feeling down on losing the ultimate draft status....not after what I’m seeing tonight.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Fields looks really good. I will say this though, this is not the Clemson defense that I have seen the past couple of years. 

If Ohio State wins and goes on and beats Alabama though I would re-think my position of trading down

He’s throwing frozen ropes when he needs to.  He put just the right air under that bomb he hit to the outside.  I really like what I’m seeing.

You couldn’t find a bigger Darnold fan than I was.  His first year I saw him hit numerous throws not many Jet QBs could have.  He should have had Watson and Aaron Rodgers scalps on his belt in consecutive weeks in his Rookie season, if Bowles D hadn’t fallen apart on each final drive.

If Darnold went up against Rodgers say this week?  The Jets would lose by at least 40 points.  Gase has destroyed him.  He plays with way less confidence and is hesitant on too many throws.  Shame.  But it’s time to move on.

I have no problem drafting Justin Fields at 2.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 10/27/2020 at 9:41 PM, SAR I said:

Yes!  We don’t need players, we just need the hope of forever accumulating picks!  We’re going to own half the 2024 draft.  Goodell will be hosting it from Florham Park. 

SAR I

Will you post a “NY Jets Draft Blunders Part II” video of it?

• Post of the Week 1

On 11/8/2020 at 1:12 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

He doesn't remind me of Russell Wilson @ all. He reminds me more of a younger Aaron Rodgers or more likely a Dak Prescott on steroids; he's going to become an NFL star. 

I'm all in on Trevor Lawrence 100% but whatever team drafts Justin Fields #2 overall is going to receive a great talent in return. 

When you look @ Trevor's #s. Then look at Fields' numbers and then look @ Sam's USC numbers? You'll see a difference. TL/JF are putting up generational type statistics compared to Sam who was nothing but a USC turnover machine who received ESPN media hype due to one Rose Bowl performance @ Penn State as a Freshman. We were tricked. Sam was NEVER this great in college; ever. 

Quoted myself for truth. 

That was months ago. Before @JiF made me absolutely hate the thought of Fields due to @JiF having to crap all over Lawrence in order to talk up Fields. 

Fields it is!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Fields is overrated. Credit to him for playing well tonight - no doubt he has great talent - but we still haven't seen him conquer the internal clock* concerns, go through progressions, keep his eyes downfield, and make throws in the face of pressure, let alone read the rush or a defense. Most of his reads are predetermined and none of them involves reading coverage- he's been a "see it, throw it" QB at the college level. 

Each prospect is an individual evaluation so I wouldn't go so far to compare him to his Ohio State predecessors, but fact is the simple spread scheme/zone-read they run + the talent they have plays a significant part in their QBs success, and it only helps that their QBs have all the tools in the world. There is no need to read defenses in their scheme; master the plays, execute the play as designed, use your gifts when things go wrong, and that's it. 

I personally like Justin Fields - my NFL comp for him is Marcus Mariota, and I really liked Mariota. He has great leadership qualities and all the tools you can ask for, but if you take Fields you can't just plug him in and expect him to thrive. You'll need to run a full-on spread and RPO offense early on and kind of embrace what he can do as he learns how to play QB in the pros for a few years, otherwise he will fail you as Mariota did Tennessee. 

... which brings me back to the argument I have made and will continue to make until the end of time. 

Why draft a projection QB prospect who will require a terrific offensive infrastructure in order to cater the playbook to his skill set when you already have a 23 year old QB wil similar abilities? Sam has all the tools Justin Fields has... Fields is just younger, faster, and benefits from recency bias. 

If your argument is that it makes more sense because it allows you to reset the clock for the QBs contract I can respect that. If it's that Fields is a can't miss QB who is a better prospect than Sam Darnold, then I shake my head. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, football guy said:

Fields is overrated. Credit to him for playing well tonight - no doubt he has great talent - but we still haven't seen him conquer the internal cock concerns, go through progressions, keep his eyes downfield, and make throws in the face of pressure, let alone read the rush or a defense. Most of his reads are predetermined and none of them involves reading coverage- he's been a "see it, throw it" QB at the college level. 

Each prospect is an individual evaluation so I wouldn't go so far to compare him to his Ohio State predecessors, but fact is the simple spread scheme/zone-read they run + the talent they have plays a significant part in their QBs success, and it only helps that their QBs have all the tools in the world. There is no need to read defenses in their scheme; master the plays, execute the play as designed, use your gifts when things go wrong, and that's it. 

I personally like Justin Fields - my NFL comp for him is Marcus Mariota, and I really liked Mariota. He has great leadership qualities and all the tools you can ask for, but if you take Fields you can't just plug him in and expect him to thrive. You'll need to run a full-on spread and RPO offense early on and kind of embrace what he can do as he learns how to play QB in the pros for a few years, otherwise he will fail you as Mariota did Tennessee. 

... which brings me back to the argument I have made and will continue to make until the end of time. 

Why draft a projection QB prospect who will require a terrific offensive infrastructure in order to cater the playbook to his skill set when you already have a 23 year old QB wil similar abilities? Sam has all the tools Justin Fields has... Fields is just younger, faster, and benefits from recency bias. 

If your argument is that it makes more sense because it allows you to reset the clock for the QBs contract I can respect that. If it's that Fields is a can't miss QB who is a better prospect than Sam Darnold, then I shake my head. 

Go to bed Sam Darnold. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

Fields is overrated. Credit to him for playing well tonight - no doubt he has great talent - but we still haven't seen him conquer the internal cock concerns, go through progressions, keep his eyes downfield, and make throws in the face of pressure, let alone read the rush or a defense. Most of his reads are predetermined and none of them involves reading coverage- he's been a "see it, throw it" QB at the college level. 

So no to Justin Fields it is. Because he could be like Mariota? Lol

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Go to bed Sam Darnold. 

You're welcome to counter my point... but knowing how message boards work chances are you will stick with the snarky one-liner because its easier. 

48 minutes ago, FollowMe said:

So no to Justin Fields it is. Because he could be like Mariota? Lol

I loved Mariota, but I also recognized that he wasn't your traditional QB and would require more catering than usual if he were to become a successful QB early on. Still feel that way. Fields is no different. It's not that I dislike him, just think it'll take him 4-5 years to adapt.  

I'd draft him if we somehow hire Sean Payton or Greg Roman. Otherwise pass for this team at this moment. 

• Upvote 1