Ohio St QB Justin Fields.

I am still taking Wilson. but I will say this:

Lawrence once again did not impress me at all. In fact, I find him amazingly similar to Darnold.

I am not saying he is bad. But he just does not seem dynamic to me. Lots of short passes, not that great deep. I think he is going to struggle in the NFL.

Fields still needs to have a good game at Alabama. If he puts up a stinker no one will remember this performance.

To my eye, Wilson is a better passer and just has a game that will transition better to the NFL. He is skilled under center already. Fields is a big project. He was excellent tonight but he still seems like a high bust potential to me. He needs an offense completely designed for him. I think the speed in the NFL will really expose him, and Lawrence as well.

But by tomorrow the media narrative will be all Lawrence vs Fields. 

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

1) Regardless of whose fault it ultimately is, Darnold is still an unknown heading into his 4th season. I don't think JD wants to bet another season of Darnold being the starting QB

I don't disagree, but I think he's better than an unknown. It doesn't take a great coach to know what he does well and the right offense for his skill set; it does take a great coach to get the absolute most out of him and push him into the "elite" category. What we know: he's at his absolute best throwing on the run; most mechanically sound when asked to drop back from under-center where his feet are active; seems to get in a rhythm in an up-tempo environment; he keeps his eyes downfield and is capable of going through progressions, but not as quickly as once believed; he's not as good in the face of pressure as once believed he could be, but he has elite escapability and is at his best outside of structure; he has excellent mobility and despite a few injuries packs a wallop... a real threat as a runner; biggest weakness is footwork which impairs his accuracy, otherwise is capable of throwing with anticipation and elite placement albeit inconsistently; needs work on his downfield passing and must continue minimizing the yolo balls.

Best offense for Sam: west coast focused offense with RPO elements and heavy play-action usage promote high-percentage passing. Ideally this offense will be simplistic and is based on the talent winning one-on-one matchups (eliminate the second guessing) rather than route combinations that work together to beat certain coverages (often leads to double-clutching or confused reads, which results in boneheaded interceptions). Need to get Darnold on the move via bootlegs, leaks, and rollouts to cut the field in half and allow Darnold to throw on the run. Think Shanahan, Kubiak (and even Bates' scheme from 2018... but some more creativity). 

2) It'll help with resetting the QB clock, as has been said

Agreed. My only counters to this is who do we need to pay in the near-term? Will a potential Sam Darnold extension/option/franchise tag change anything in regards to our salary cap management?

3) If Fields dominates Alabama like this next week? It'll be very hard to pass on him at #2

I'd rather see Fields put up mixed results against Alabama while doing all the things required by an NFL QB than see him dominate throwing beautiful yet pre-determined throws to his first read in a clean pocket. 

4) He showed a lot of talent, but also grit and toughness tonight

Agreed. No doubt the kid has talent. But so did Dwayne Haskins. So did Paxton Lynch. So did Marcus Mariota. Hell so did Darnold. I'm not suggesting the kid shouldn't be a 1st round pick; he absolutely should. I just don't believe he's worthy of #2---especially to the Jets, who likely won't have the coaching staff or the talent to get the most out of him short-term and develop him long-term. If you told me we were hiring Greg Roman I'd give you a different answer... but I'd still feel that his offense could work with Darnold/best to trade down, accumulate picks, and build up the roster before taking a raw QB prospect. 

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Disagree a bit here on the evaluation on the first bomb that guy was his third read from what I saw when I replayed it a few times. I’d have to look back to see how often he did that. But I’ve seen it in other tape the kid goes through progressions. Is it every time? No sometimes he locks on like he did when he had an easy first down and forced it downfield. But he can do it and has done it fairly often. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Guy completed 90% of his passes for 385 and 6 TDs and we are nitpicking about processing and internal clock. Two things that are virtually impossible to measure watching from the couch.

I saw multiple throws to 2nd and even third reads. Fields was composed in the pocket all day. 

The internet is amazing. Fields isn’t even a jet yet and we have a specialized anti fields troll on the forum already. 

Find me one throw where he goes to his 2nd or 3rd read that is beyond the line of scrimmage. Bet you were all-in on drafting the guys below because they made some really spectacular throws under no duress and "went through progressions" by throwing to their checkdown or turning their head a few times before throwing it out of bounds in bowl games: 

Passing Rushing
Rk Year Date School   Opponent   Cmp Att Pct Yds TD Int Rate Att Yds Avg TD
21 2018 2018-12-01 Ohio State N Northwestern W 34 41 82.9 499 5 1 220.5 10 -5 -0.5 0

31 2011 2012-01-04 West Virginia N Clemson* W 32 43 74.4 407 6 0 200.0 5 26 5.2 1        
22 2008 2009-01-01 Southern California   Penn State* W 28 35 80.0 413 4 0 216.8 7 16 2.3 1

I'm not looking to troll the kid, just saying it how it is. He is Marcus Mariota in many ways. That's not a criticism; Marcus went #2 overall and could have been (and still can be) an excellent QB in the right situation. Fact is Fields plays in an offense that asks him to follow a script. His throws are pre-determined 95% of the time. He is not asked to read coverage (looking off a safety is not reading coverage). He is not asked to read the line of scrimmage. What he's asked to do is follow the play call and if he sees the guy is open, throw it. If he's not open, check it down or run it. That's not NFL quarterbacking and it will only get you so far. Need a coach who can maximize his skill set in the near-term while developing him for the long-term. We do not have that coach nor have we established an infrastructure to support such a player. 

27 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Some of these evals on this thread crack me up. This is the kind of great draft analysis that had folks in here calling Mahomes a late 1st or 2nd round talent or Josh Allen Hackenberg 2.0. Is the goal to draft to most NFL ready player or ultimately the best player? Fields oozes talent out of his pores w/ leadership qualities just for good measure. It’s JD’s job to get the best talent & whoever we get as coach to get the most out of said talent. The football Gods have finally shown mercy on us; let’s not overthink this one.

Not to sound like a know it all but I thought Josh Allen was the next John Elway and felt Mahomes was Aaron Rodgers. The point is they were volite prospects who needed to land in the right situations to maximize their potential. I felt the Jets were a horrible fit for both because of "self-evaluation"... despite how much I liked the both of them, I recognized they would bust in New York. Josh Allen would've been Kyle Boller in New York. Mahomes would've been Jay Cutler, probably a lot worse. Justin Fields has talent. He executed what he was asked to execute perfectly in the most important game of the year while fighting injury. Major props to him. That doesn't make him a great prospect; it doesn't make him infappable. He needs to be drafted by a team that can maximize the talent he has. The Jets are not that team. 

What cracks me up is how message board fans think "evaluating" players is so hard. It's not if you understand the game. Scouts are no smarter than fans, they simply know what to look for, have greater access, and resources.

To answer your follow-up question: scouting pays sh*t, horrible hours, and constantly on the move. There is about a 0.0001% chance of landing a Front Office role, and even when you do, you sacrificed your life making no money to make it on the backend. Not a great career choice if you have options, but respect those who take it. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, TheMo said:

Disagree a bit here on the evaluation on the first bomb that guy was his third read from what I saw when I replayed it a few times. I’d have to look back to see how often he did that. But I’ve seen it in other tape the kid goes through progressions. Is it every time? No sometimes he locks on like he did when he had an easy first down and forced it downfield. But he can do it and has done it fairly often. 

False. You'll see when the coaches film is released. It was a zone-read fake. He watched the middle of the field to sell it---which he did, the S came sprinting in---but the play was designed to throw deep to Olave out of the wide-slot. The Z receiver ran a hitch route, which forced the slot corner to move off of Olave, who was running a go, and defend the sideline. Simultaneously, the FS had already bit on the fake and was backpedaling into coverage, but it was way too late: Olave had blown past the first level of defense and had a one-on-one vs. Kendrick, who was playing off-zone. Kendrick was originally supposed to cover the Z receiver, and was just a split-second late to re-adjust his coverage to account of Olave. By the time Fields pulled the ball out of the RBs belly, all Fields needed to do was give Olave a few more steps to pass Kendrick/force the SS to stay in his zone, which is why he held onto the ball. By the time the ball left his hand, Olave had already beat Kendrick and the SS (Thorton?) was 10-12 yards too late. It was all by design, all Justin had to do was take the snap, perform the fake, pause, and throw. 

Impressive skill and arm talent, but the execution of it is all kudos to play design and 5-star recruiting speed... not Fields' ability to read a defense, scan the field, and progress through his receivers.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

A good gm doesn't label players like that, they build the roster to be as talented as it can be regardless of who drafted the players.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

A guy who's worked 18 years to become a GM will instill the plan he believes will keep him employed.  Regardless of what players are available or retained.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Quoted myself for truth. 

That was months ago. Before @JiF made me absolutely hate the thought of Fields due to @JiF having to crap all over Lawrence in order to talk up Fields. 

Fields it is!

And after you argued with all of us who wanted Fields at #2.  

One game and youre now convinced, hmm interesting take 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, TheMo said:

The "he never goes through progressions" cliche was destroyed last night.  

No one kid at this point can be said to go through his progressions every time, they all lock on at times, Lawrence did it last night too

I've liked him at #2 all along and last night cemented it, he showed everything I liked about him, everything I think makes him a possible answer to our QB hunt, a totally modern QB who is athletic and can throw a bomb when needed.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, football guy said:

Find me one throw where he goes to his 2nd or 3rd read that is beyond the line of scrimmage. Bet you were all-in on drafting the guys below because they made some really spectacular throws under no duress and "went through progressions" by throwing to their checkdown or turning their head a few times before throwing it out of bounds in bowl games: 

Passing Rushing
Rk Year Date School   Opponent   Cmp Att Pct Yds TD Int Rate Att Yds Avg TD
21 2018 2018-12-01 Ohio State N Northwestern W 34 41 82.9 499 5 1 220.5 10 -5 -0.5 0

31 2011 2012-01-04 West Virginia N Clemson* W 32 43 74.4 407 6 0 200.0 5 26 5.2 1        
22 2008 2009-01-01 Southern California   Penn State* W 28 35 80.0 413 4 0 216.8 7 16 2.3 1

I'm not looking to troll the kid, just saying it how it is. He is Marcus Mariota in many ways. That's not a criticism; Marcus went #2 overall and could have been (and still can be) an excellent QB in the right situation. Fact is Fields plays in an offense that asks him to follow a script. His throws are pre-determined 95% of the time. He is not asked to read coverage (looking off a safety is not reading coverage). He is not asked to read the line of scrimmage. What he's asked to do is follow the play call and if he sees the guy is open, throw it. If he's not open, check it down or run it. That's not NFL quarterbacking and it will only get you so far. Need a coach who can maximize his skill set in the near-term while developing him for the long-term. We do not have that coach nor have we established an infrastructure to support such a player. 

Not to sound like a know it all but I thought Josh Allen was the next John Elway and felt Mahomes was Aaron Rodgers. The point is they were volite prospects who needed to land in the right situations to maximize their potential. I felt the Jets were a horrible fit for both because of "self-evaluation"... despite how much I liked the both of them, I recognized they would bust in New York. Josh Allen would've been Kyle Boller in New York. Mahomes would've been Jay Cutler, probably a lot worse. Justin Fields has talent. He executed what he was asked to execute perfectly in the most important game of the year while fighting injury. Major props to him. That doesn't make him a great prospect; it doesn't make him infappable. He needs to be drafted by a team that can maximize the talent he has. The Jets are not that team. 

What cracks me up is how message board fans think "evaluating" players is so hard. It's not if you understand the game. Scouts are no smarter than fans, they simply know what to look for, have greater access, and resources.

To answer your follow-up question: scouting pays sh*t, horrible hours, and constantly on the move. There is about a 0.0001% chance of landing a Front Office role, and even when you do, you sacrificed your life making no money to make it on the backend. Not a great career choice if you have options, but respect those who take it. 

Only watched like two mins but it looks like the first play of the game and the First TD to 88. Also most 3rd reads are check downs even for Peyton Manning. All the criticism you have for fields can be equally applied to Lawrence and even Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, maury77 said:

The first play in the video you posted literally shows him going from his first read in the middle of the field to his second read to his right. Yet, you are comfortable taking Wilson, a 1 year wonder with an injury history to both his shoulders who feasts upon Bergen Community College and struggles against Coastal Carolina and Washington. Again, you are a good poster, but if feels like you decided that Wilson is your number 2 and you are really rationalizing to maintain that opinion. 

Agree completely...entrenched opinions are difficult to change in spite of results to the contrary. 

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I haven't watched Fields' tape enough to form my own opinion, but I respect and enjoyed reading those of @football guy

Any of you that passed over them should take a look at his posts in this thread.

I've read his posts and he knows his stuff. But sometimes people have a hard time admitting they are wrong. They throw out technical details and fabricate stuff to fit their narrative thinking most on these forums are simply uneducated football fans. Sorry im not buying his analysis completely.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, football guy said:

False. You'll see when the coaches film is released. It was a zone-read fake. He watched the middle of the field to sell it---which he did, the S came sprinting in---but the play was designed to throw deep to Olave out of the wide-slot. The Z receiver ran a hitch route, which forced the slot corner to move off of Olave, who was running a go, and defend the sideline. Simultaneously, the FS had already bit on the fake and was backpedaling into coverage, but it was way too late: Olave had blown past the first level of defense and had a one-on-one vs. Kendrick, who was playing off-zone. Kendrick was originally supposed to cover the Z receiver, and was just a split-second late to re-adjust his coverage to account of Olave. By the time Fields pulled the ball out of the RBs belly, all Fields needed to do was give Olave a few more steps to pass Kendrick/force the SS to stay in his zone, which is why he held onto the ball. By the time the ball left his hand, Olave had already beat Kendrick and the SS (Thorton?) was 10-12 yards too late. It was all by design, all Justin had to do was take the snap, perform the fake, pause, and throw. 

Impressive skill and arm talent, but the execution of it is all kudos to play design and 5-star recruiting speed... not Fields' ability to read a defense, scan the field, and progress through his receivers.

Look if we’re gonna start saying that going through his progressions is just an act...  how do we know if anyone is going through their progressions ever. Seems disingenuous. 

5 hours ago, football guy said:

The thing is that the nfl is instituting more and more college concepts, which is why qbs like kyler Murray, josh allen, Lamar jackson, deshawn Watson are succeeding.  It’s not required that college qbs understand going through so many progressions right away, as long as they have the capacity to be taught to do it.  It’s not about who Justin fields is as a rookie, but how will he be 3-5 yrs from now?  As guys like Eli, Brady, Brees, rothlesburger, rivers, Ryan and Stafford leave the nfl, more and more teams are going to employ hybrid qbs who play like fields.  You don’t need to look much further than what the bills have done with josh allen to see that you can really, really coach up these talented qbs, whereas the jets just threw darnold out there game after game with no plan or help for him.  If the jets draft fields i really hope they hire a college football mind who can adapt a game plan to his strengths right away while they refine his mental game.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

I've read his posts and he knows his stuff. But sometimes people have a hard time admitting they are wrong. They throw out technical details and fabricate stuff to fit their narrative thinking most on these forums are simply uneducated football fans. Sorry im not buying his analysis completely.

Noted. 

But many at JN, including myself, have a tendency to skip or skim over long posts and especially posts from handles we dont recognize. 

I try to make an effort to read posts from new and/or less frequent posters. 

@football guy clearly has something to offer...  I was just encouraging peeps to take a look if they havent.