Ohio St QB Justin Fields.

54 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mel Kiper said this morning on ESPN the NY Jets are going to stick with Sam Darnold and pass on Justin Fields.  

BIG MISTAKE 

Fields is a glorified Geno

Jets can sign a QB to compete with Sam and actually try to build a solid roster

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Fields is a way better prospect than Geno ever was, lol.

And you can do both, draft a QB at #2 and built around them. The Jets have enough picks and cap space over the next couple years to do so. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Fields is a way better prospect than Geno ever was, lol.

And you can do both, draft a QB at #2 and built around them. The Jets have enough picks and cap space over the next couple years to do so. 

If Geno played in Ohio State with stacked teams instead of WVU he would have been a top 15 draft pick easily

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Mel Kiper said this morning on ESPN the NY Jets are going to stick with Sam Darnold and pass on Justin Fields.  

BIG MISTAKE 

That’s not what he said. He said HE would keep Darnold cause he had Sam ranked higher than Fields as a prospect. He didn’t even account for the 3 years in the league Sam has already

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

That’s not what he said. He said HE would keep Darnold cause he had Sam ranked higher than Fields as a prospect. He didn’t even account for the 3 years in the league Sam has already

So pretty much the same take he had on cimini podcast a few weeks back.

• Upvote 2

On 1/2/2021 at 3:12 AM, football guy said:

Find me one throw where he goes to his 2nd or 3rd read that is beyond the line of scrimmage. Bet you were all-in on drafting the guys below because they made some really spectacular throws under no duress and "went through progressions" by throwing to their checkdown or turning their head a few times before throwing it out of bounds in bowl games: 

You might want to try, I don’t know, his last game against Clemson a week ago.  McShay brought up his ability go through progressions and pointed them out.   

6 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Your interpretation is the same as mine in different words. 

Bottom line he said keep Sam Darnold. 

Didn't he also say they would draft Sewell. 

On 1/2/2021 at 3:12 AM, football guy said:

Find me one throw where he goes to his 2nd or 3rd read that is beyond the line of scrimmage. Bet you were all-in on drafting the guys below because they made some really spectacular throws under no duress and "went through progressions" by throwing to their checkdown or turning their head a few times before throwing it out of bounds in bowl games: 

Passing Rushing
Rk Year Date School   Opponent   Cmp Att Pct Yds TD Int Rate Att Yds Avg TD
21 2018 2018-12-01 Ohio State N Northwestern W 34 41 82.9 499 5 1 220.5 10 -5 -0.5 0

31 2011 2012-01-04 West Virginia N Clemson* W 32 43 74.4 407 6 0 200.0 5 26 5.2 1        
22 2008 2009-01-01 Southern California   Penn State* W 28 35 80.0 413 4 0 216.8 7 16 2.3 1

I'm not looking to troll the kid, just saying it how it is. He is Marcus Mariota in many ways. That's not a criticism; Marcus went #2 overall and could have been (and still can be) an excellent QB in the right situation. Fact is Fields plays in an offense that asks him to follow a script. His throws are pre-determined 95% of the time. He is not asked to read coverage (looking off a safety is not reading coverage). He is not asked to read the line of scrimmage. What he's asked to do is follow the play call and if he sees the guy is open, throw it. If he's not open, check it down or run it. That's not NFL quarterbacking and it will only get you so far. Need a coach who can maximize his skill set in the near-term while developing him for the long-term. We do not have that coach nor have we established an infrastructure to support such a player. 

Not to sound like a know it all but I thought Josh Allen was the next John Elway and felt Mahomes was Aaron Rodgers. The point is they were volite prospects who needed to land in the right situations to maximize their potential. I felt the Jets were a horrible fit for both because of "self-evaluation"... despite how much I liked the both of them, I recognized they would bust in New York. Josh Allen would've been Kyle Boller in New York. Mahomes would've been Jay Cutler, probably a lot worse. Justin Fields has talent. He executed what he was asked to execute perfectly in the most important game of the year while fighting injury. Major props to him. That doesn't make him a great prospect; it doesn't make him infappable. He needs to be drafted by a team that can maximize the talent he has. The Jets are not that team. 

What cracks me up is how message board fans think "evaluating" players is so hard. It's not if you understand the game. Scouts are no smarter than fans, they simply know what to look for, have greater access, and resources.

To answer your follow-up question: scouting pays sh*t, horrible hours, and constantly on the move. There is about a 0.0001% chance of landing a Front Office role, and even when you do, you sacrificed your life making no money to make it on the backend. Not a great career choice if you have options, but respect those who take it. 

Quotes? Let's see some of these takes you had on Mahomes & Josh Allen. 

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Combination 

He’s nothing like either one of those two.  Haskins was an immature kid while at Ohio St with a history of being a big baby, knucklehead type with plenty of warning signs.  Geno got punched out for being a shltty teammate.  
Fields is a hard working kid who is one of the leaders on his team.  

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And I'm sure Mel Kiper is having intimate conversations with Joe Douglas and the yet to be named HC. Click bait. Sorry that was Joewilly's post my bad. 

59 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He’s nothing like either one of those two.  Haskins was an immature kid while at Ohio St with a history of being a big baby, knucklehead type with plenty of warning signs.  Geno got punched out for being a shltty teammate.  
Fields is a hard working kid who is one of the leaders on his team.  

Actually watch the OSU Clemson game

Fields big plays in that game he throws after the receivers make their breaks and get at least 5 yards separation.  Also, Sermon went nuts on that game and Clemson defense was stacking the box trying to contain him 

35 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Odds on Olave or Sermon going top 8?  Dobbins went in the late 2nd.  I'm not sure how a DE and CB belong in this conversation.

Sermon went totally nuts in the Clemson game you guys are raving about. The first drive was entirely him and Clemson spent the rest of the game trying to stop him

23 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Sermon went totally nuts in the Clemson game you guys are raving about. The first drive was entirely him and Clemson spent the rest of the game trying to stop him

The only one I hear raving is you.  Sermon has been great.  These teams being stacked is a concern.  That goes for Lawrence too and doubly (triple-y?) for Mac Jones.  You are the one ranting that Fields is Geno Smith reincarnated and then acting like Geno would have been Fields if he'd played for Ohio State, like Geno played for some 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.  A big part of Geno's drop related to the fact that tons of his passing yards came from dump-offs.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The only one I hear raving is you.  Sermon has been great.  These teams being stacked is a concern.  That goes for Lawrence too and doubly (triple-y?) for Mac Jones.  You are the one ranting that Fields is Geno Smith reincarnated and then acting like Geno would have been Fields if he'd played for Ohio State, like Geno played for some 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.  A big part of Geno's drop related to the fact that tons of his passing yards came from dump-offs.

Yep.

Geno Smith's YPA in his final year:  8.1

Justin Field's YPA in 2020-21:  9.9.  

There's really no possible comparison to be made between the 2.