Joe Benigno is officially retiring from WFAN

Did anyone here listen to the 1 hour mini-show today with Craig Carton and Evan Roberts today?  It was Carton's first show back since he left WFAN.  To me, it was even worse than I expected (and my expectations were pretty much nil to begin with). 

Carton started out solo for about 30 minutes and it wasn't bad.  He talked about his gambling addiction and kind of apologized/thanked everyone (his wife, station co-workers, etc).  He then took a caller who asked a 2 part question:

1) What would his ideal time-slot and partner be?

2) What kind of show he was planning on doing?  A more traditional sports show or the same kind of show he did with Boomer in the mornings?

To question 1, he said he would've preferred to return to working with Boomer in the mornings (because that's how people know him) but it wasn't offered.

To question 2, he said he only knows one way to do a show.  He knows the main players on teams but he's not the kind of guy who knows the more obscure names on a team.  That's Evan's specialty.  (I got the impression that Carton didn't plan to be a big sports-talk guy.  That can't bode well for that time-slot or to be a fit for Evan).

In the 2nd 1/2 hour of the show, Evan joined him and Carton's "shtick" kind of kicked into high gear.  He was poking fun at Evan for knowing all the presidents in US history (and VPs), talking about the Nets, and for using proximity to Citifield as a criteria for where he bought his house.  He also started talking about how he heard that Evan had another (basically, less-buttoned down) side to him.  He joked about how he thought maybe he had some weird sexual fetishes or something.  (it was incredibly lame radio!)  Evan said that Carton is going to have to draw that side of him over time.  It seemed VERY forced.

They also discussed the WFAN softball team (riveting radio!)

I can't see how this show will last.  I feel a little bit bad for Evan because he has little kids (including a newborn) that he has to support.  So he has no choice but to try to make it work with this oaf, Carton.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Did anyone here listen to the 1 hour mini-show today with Craig Carton and Evan Roberts today?  It was Carton's first show back since he left WFAN.  To me, it was even worse than I expected (and my expectations were pretty much nil to begin with). 

Carton started out solo for about 30 minutes and it wasn't bad.  He talked about his gambling addiction and kind of apologized/thanked everyone (his wife, station co-workers, etc).  He then took a caller who asked a 2 part question:

2) What kind of show he was planning on doing?  A more traditional sports show or the same kind of show he did with Boomer in the mornings?

To question 1, he said he would've preferred to return to working with Boomer in the mornings (because that's how people know him) but it wasn't offered.

To question 2, he said he only knows one way to do a show.  He knows the main players on teams but he's not the kind of guy who knows the more obscure names on a team.  That's Evan's specialty.  (I got the impression that Carton didn't plan to be a big sports-talk guy.  That can't bode well for that time-slot or to be a fit for Evan).

In the 2nd 1/2 hour of the show, Evan joined him and Carton's "shtick" kind of kicked into high gear.  He was poking fun at Evan for knowing all the presidents in US history (and VPs), talking about the Nets, and for using proximity to Citifield as a criteria for where he bought his house.  He also started talking about how he heard that Evan had another (basically, less-buttoned down) side to him.  He joked about how he thought maybe he had some weird sexual fetishes or something.  (it was incredibly lame radio!)  Evan said that Carton is going to have to draw that side of him over time.  It seemed VERY forced.

I can't see how this show will last.  I feel a little bit bad for Evan because he has little kids (including a newborn) that he has to support.  So he has no choice but to try to make it work with this oaf, Carton.

I didn’t listen to that but from what you say it sounds like Carton spent the second half of his hour making fun of Evan which is fine because Evan is a man and can take it but Carton comes off as a douche when he does that sort of thing he comes off as a douche. I would’ve liked to see them roll solo with Evan who has done a great job by himself before. 

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

1 hour ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I didn’t listen to that but from what you say it sounds like Carton spent the second half of his hour making fun of Evan which is fine because Evan is a man and can take it but Carton comes off as a douche when he does that sort of thing he comes off as a douche. I would’ve liked to see them roll solo with Evan who has done a great job by himself before. 

• Upvote 1

I listened —-and was a fan of Carton in the past. I didnt hear him making fun of Evan, it was good natured chop busting. IMHO this show will kick ESPNs ass in the ratings. Carton is a high energy guy and very entertaining..  He’s a  no BS guy and I’m glad he’s getting a 2nd chance.  Hopefully with his big mouth and platform and his Jet fandom he can help resurrect our franchise.  If you don’t like him.  Change the channel. 

• Upvote 1

This new show is doomed.  Carton is a morning guy.  On afternoon drive he'll be a fish out of water.  Maybe Evan will save the show just by the fact that he actually talks sports.  This is the Mike and the Mad Dog time slot.  If you can't live and breathe sports you don't belong in that slot.

I think Kay will beat this experiment, and soon enough it'll be Boomer, Carton, and Gio in the mornings.

Evan will find a new partner.  Ideally they need to combine Evan's Jets/Mets/Nets fandom with a new partner that goes Yanks/Giants/Knicks.  Joe's angry old man schtick was a good counterbalance to Evan's "new school" stuff but I guess there are no old school guys really left to pair him with.  If JJ was a Giants fan instead of Dolphins he'd be the guy.

The truth is nobody will ever live up to Mike and his earned narcissism.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

This new show is doomed.  Carton is a morning guy.  On afternoon drive he'll be a fish out of water.  Maybe Evan will save the show just by the fact that he actually talks sports.  This is the Mike and the Mad Dog time slot.  If you can't live and breathe sports you don't belong in that slot.

I think Kay will beat this experiment, and soon enough it'll be Boomer, Carton, and Gio in the mornings.

Evan will find a new partner.  Ideally they need to combine Evan's Jets/Mets/Nets fandom with a new partner that goes Yanks/Giants/Knicks.  Joe's angry old man schtick was a good counterbalance to Evan's "new school" stuff but I guess there are no old school guys really left to pair him with.  If JJ was a Giants fan instead of Dolphins he'd be the guy.

Agree.  I give it a year before it gets cancelled.

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Evan Roberts is lame.  His entire career is based on him having family connections and basically being Robin to Joe’s Batman 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

8 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Exactly. Carton is a morning guy.  He doesn’t fit in this slot (at least, traditionally speaking).  When I turn on sports radio, I have no interest in hearing dumb jokes and guys “yukking it up”.  But who knows. Maybe there’s a big enough audience for that (and at that time). 

1 hour ago, riggy001 said:

Completely agree with johnny jet. If show does not do well, likely will be due to Evan, just being too bland.... Like most things, all about personal preference, if you don’t like the show, pipe down, and listen to something else.

I'm entitled to criticize the show as much as you're entitled to praise it.  I think Carton is horrible for that timeslot.  Tbh, I wouldn't want to listen to his shtick in any timeslot but I know there are people who like that sort of thing in the mornings.

Why would anyone waste their time listening to something they don’t like, and the criticize? Move on. The timeslot argument is also Bs, boomer and carton would have blown away Kay in the afternoon.... 

Do you have any other rules for what I’m allowed to listen to and think?

• Upvote 1

Why would anyone waste their time listening to something they don’t like, and the criticize? Move on. The timeslot argument is also Bs, boomer and carton would have blown away Kay in the afternoon.... 

Boomer and Carton would not have blown away Kay in the ratings. With the exception of Rosenberg being annoying at times they have a really good show. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, riggy001 said:

Completely agree with johnny jet. If show does not do well, likely will be due to Evan, just being too bland.... Like most things, all about personal preference, if you don’t like the show, pipe down, and listen to something else.

Because I don't like Carton and find him repulsive I'm not allowed to express my opinion?

I like listening to sports talk radio when I'm in my car, but I find Craig Carton to be unlistenable, so can't listen until he's gone.  I would like to see him gone as soon as possible.

I will absolutely express my opinion about that.

It’s like arguing over what beer or wine you like, others opinions are not important, you are not going to change your preference. Once again, i listened to Carton for yrs, and i prefer some fun and variety , not just 5 hours of complaining about local teams. Back to the morning comments, totally irrelevant , David letterman started  with a morning talk show.... if the show fails, it wont be because of time slot....