Jets should trade for Michael Thomas NOW

Jet2020

Trade for Michael Thomas now?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Trade for Michael Thomas NOW?

Yes. Do it. For Lord Trevor Lawrence. Letting go of Bell was a mistake. Should’ve kept him around to make TLs decision easier. Now we need a big time receiver to keep TL interested. He seems to be getting cold feet and we can’t afford that after the sh*t show we’ve been putting out every week  

Trevor is starIng us right in the eye and it’s up to us to get him. Trade for MT, ditch Gore and let the young blood take over. If Perine sucks, it’ll be a blessing in disguise. If he’s great, our QB will make sure we lose. Win win. 

Trade for Thomas!

22 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Do not trade a #1 pick for this guy. 

Id rather choose JaMaar Chase in the draft. 

If the Saints take a 2nd-3rd pick then i'm all in. 

You want to use our top pick on a WR, over a QB?

Because please tell me you dont actually thinkJaMaar Chase is going to be there at the bottom of the 1st do you?

I'd trade the Seattle first for someone who's as good as Thomas, if I were convinced he isnt a locker room killer

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You want to use our top pick on a WR, over a QB?

Because please tell me uou dont actually thinkJaMaar Chase is going to be there at the bottom of the 1st do you?

I'd trade that first for someone who's as good as Thomas, if I were convinced he is a locker room killer

Did I say that?  

Been all in a QB at #1 all year.

Chase has been dropping and are we done dealing current players? 

Im good with Thomas just don't want to give up a kings ransom to get him. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fullblast said:

What's this "improve the team before we secure the tank" talk all about? We should be selling, not buying.

Depends on whats being offered. We can acquire good players and put them on lay-away for next season. 

A player id like to see the NY Jets get is TE Zack Ertz familiar with JD and we desperately need a TE

Start over with youth.  Let's see all these grow together.

Lawrence/fields, Becton, Mims, Perrine - and whatever other 2 picks we use in the top 35 after Lawrence.  We need to use all 3 of those top 33 - on offense.

That's a nice core of 1st and 2nd year players to begin to start with.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

Whats this draft look like for WRs?

Anymore some rookies are coming in year 1 and lighting the NFL up. Plus, you have a 4 year window of reasonable cap charges.

I believe there will be more WRs with a 1st and 2d round grade in this draft than last years. IMO this is why JD kept trading back instead of picking a WR in 2020. He was letting other teams fill that need so they would not be looking for a WR in 2021 when the draft class would be even deeper, and at the same time he was accumulating picks because he needed more picks to begin to rebuild the jets roster. I believe JD only picked Mims because he had dropped so far that JD could not pass on the value.

• Upvote 1

I dont endorse this because I still want to see Sam play a few more games in green.....BUT if JD is as committed to the tank as it appears he is, he could always TRADE Sam to the Saints for Thomas. In that scenario, I'd fire Gase after the inevitable KC loss and make clear we are starting over. 

You'd immediately:

- Secure the tank. The Jets havent won a game in the Darnold era where he didn't play

- Make yourself more attractive to any potential QB considering coming out with the best receiver in football and a freak LT

- Get a head start on the HC search and be able to focus 100% on landing the right guy

- Give both teams an out - these are each players who before the season would have merited a 1st round pick - but for differing reasons are probably only going to pull a late 1st or 2nd

- Brees is getting old and NO has been one of the spots folks have suggested for Sam. It wouldn't be the first time Payton turned around the trajectory for a talented but underperforming QB. 

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

Until Sam proves he's willing to throw the ball to open receivers, trading for a guy that gets open seems crazy.  

Really. The idea is to trade for Thomas, and show that the Jets ruined the career of yet another superstar in his prime?

Just because we want a sudden downturn to highlight that it’s due to players/coaches who won’t be here in 2021+, I very much doubt that’s how the narrative plays out even as the OL tools are allegedly upgraded again, Gase is replaced with a college HC or the next coordinator who eventually shows the chair is too big for him, where all they need is Lawrence over Darnold and everything will be great, because Darnold was a severely flawed prospect to begin with, in a long line of fraud/fools gold USC QB prospects. Even if it’s all true, the Jets’ PR isn’t nearly good enough to pull that off in time to get Lawrence to declare.

All he’s going to see are Twitter posts of Darnold smiling for his picture with Goodell right after we drafted him in April 2018: holding up that Jets jersey with the #1 on it; a wide-eyed, smiling kid with a bright future ahead of him; unaware that his reputation will be trashed after just 3 seasons here; unaware that there won’t be any $40MM/year extensions, and at this rate not even half that.

And the better the pick we get for Darnold - particularly if it’s a (late) 1st rounder from a team with a great national reputation like Pittsburgh - the more it’ll seem like successful football people believe it’s the team and not the player that was the blame for his failures.

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Thomas would help you lose Lawrence as much as he'd help you build around him. He's also a psycho. 

Save the pick. Use it on another offensive area and pay Allen Robinson in free agency.

Allen Robinson would be great! I'm also hoping Chris Godwin shakes loose in TB and is available 

4 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

Yes. Do it. For Lord Trevor Lawrence. Letting go of Bell was a mistake. Should’ve kept him around to make TLs decision easier. Now we need a big time receiver to keep TL interested. He seems to be getting cold feet and we can’t afford that after the sh*t show we’ve been putting out every week  

Trevor is starIng us right in the eye and it’s up to us to get him. Trade for MT, ditch Gore and let the young blood take over. If Perine sucks, it’ll be a blessing in disguise. If he’s great, our QB will make sure we lose. Win win. 

Trade for Thomas!

I voted to trade for him but your post makes a bigger case for losing Lawrence than getting him. Do you realize how bad it looks if we can't win with a top 5 WR? Why would Lawrence be convinced to come? Oh yeah, they have a nuclear weapon on O and they still can't win. I gotta get me some of that. 

So... Trade for Thomas, who still won’t make Darnold into a good enough QB, but maybe has one killer game at the end that pops us out of the top draft slot.

I get people don’t like to ever wish for a Jets loss because of culture & perception -- but if they’re still in that #1 slot, an extra late December win is not worth more valuable than a QB upgrade for the next decade or more. Of course that’s assuming Lawrence is and becomes everything people say, despite never experiencing the adversity of facing NFL defenses, let alone doing so as QB of the NYJ.

I’m all for adding an expensive, veteran WR and not waiting for every drafted player to show he is or isn’t the goods. I’m even in favor of trading a good pick for one, seeing how Lawrence I think has to declare before free agency begins. But if Thomas is really as bad as reputed off the field, in practices, on the sideline, in the huddle, in the locker room, etc. then this probably isn’t the one. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Assuming you're traded to the jets, would you rather play for Adam Gase or sit the year?

Michael Thomas has legit all time great WR production he wants to sustain. He's playing for the HOF and is by all accounts an egotistical maniac. He's not going to sit in silence while Jamison Crowder gets all the production. Not how these guys think. 

By all known information Michael Thomas is going full diva a-hole WR. He's also slightly overrated IMO and I'm not alone in that opinion.  If you can get him for a 3rd, sure, go ahead and take a flier. I'm not giving up primo draft capital when it's easy as hell to find very good WRs in the first two rounds these days. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Allen Robinson would be great! I'm also hoping Chris Godwin shakes loose in TB and is available 

The problem is proven WRs in their prime very rarely shake loose as free agents. Someone like Robinson is available as a FA when there are major questions about his ability going forward, after a bad injury or bad seasons, not after he’s put those concerns to rest and is at the top of his game. 

Unlike Chicago, TB has a pair of stud wideouts, and yeah that’s tough to fit under the cap with Evans locked in at ~$17MM per. But it’s all relative since they don’t also have to fit a $40MM/year QB and Evans isn’t making Hopkins money. In relative terms those two “savings” amounts cover a Godwin extension; which itself will be in a lower cap year that might see less contract inflation; plus his immediate cap hit won’t be the contract’s average cap hit. Besides, they’d be better off tagging and trading rather than just letting Godwin slip to free agency and recouping very little (roughly pick #100 in 2022) for a guy with 1st round trade value (if not more).

More likely TB just extends (or at worst, tags) Godwin. And hate to break it to you, but it’s pretty unlikely Robinson reaches FA either. Consider those before banking on either as an option.

Let alone that either one would want to willingly sign as a UFA with the Jets after seeing the before & after numbers for Robby Anderson, who doesn’t exactly have a super-stud gunslinger in Carolina either.

• Upvote 1

Thomas is known as a massive “see you next tuesday” in New Orleans and that’s with him averaging 130 catches and 1500 yards the last few years playing with a HOF QB.

How do you think he would act here?

Do we really want to saddle a kid like Lawrence or Fields with that?

Great player, but no.

Do whatever it takes to land a guy like Chris Godwin or Allen Robinson in FA and keep your draft picks. I don’t care if we have to overpay. With upwards of $100 million in cap space it’s certainly doable.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Let alone that either one would want to willingly sign as a UFA with the Jets after seeing the before & after numbers for Robby Anderson, who doesn’t exactly have a super-stud gunslinger in Carolina either.

Agree with the rest of your post, but hopefully if a WR makes his way to FA we hire a coach that's respected and we can distance ourselves from the "boost after leaving Gase's offense" fiasco