Jets should trade for Michael Thomas NOW

Jet2020

Trade for Michael Thomas now?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Trade for Michael Thomas NOW?

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Really. The idea is to trade for Thomas, and show that the Jets ruined the career of yet another superstar in his prime?

Just because we want a sudden downturn to highlight that it’s due to players/coaches who won’t be here in 2021+, I very much doubt that’s how the narrative plays out even as the OL tools are allegedly upgraded again, Gase is replaced with a college HC or the next coordinator who eventually shows the chair is too big for him, where all they need is Lawrence over Darnold and everything will be great, because Darnold was a severely flawed prospect to begin with, in a long line of fraud/fools gold USC QB prospects. Even if it’s all true, the Jets’ PR isn’t nearly good enough to pull that off in time to get Lawrence to declare.

All he’s going to see are Twitter posts of Darnold smiling for his picture with Goodell right after we drafted him in April 2018: holding up that Jets jersey with the #1 on it; a wide-eyed, smiling kid with a bright future ahead of him; unaware that his reputation will be trashed after just 3 seasons here; unaware that there won’t be any $40MM/year extensions, and at this rate not even half that.

And the better the pick we get for Darnold - particularly if it’s a (late) 1st rounder from a team with a great national reputation like Pittsburgh - the more it’ll seem like successful football people believe it’s the team and not the player that was the blame for his failures.

See Josh Rosen and take a look at the offseason the Cardinals had including getting a long term deal with both Baker and Hopkins.

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Thomas would help you lose Lawrence as much as he'd help you build around him. He's also a psycho. 

Save the pick. Use it on another offensive area and pay Allen Robinson in free agency.

Where on earth are you guys getting that Thomas is a problem child?  He’s holding out for a bigger contract so he’s suddenly Terrell Owens?

He'll come here and disappear in our terrible offense. Then he'll start complaining.

Great player. But I don't think the Jets are in a position to offer premium picks for a guy they probably won't use right. Keep the picks, and start showing the rest of the league you can actually draft, and develop players first. Just my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He'll come here and disappear in our terrible offense. Then he'll start complaining.

Great player. But I don't think the Jets are in a position to offer premium picks for a guy they probably won't use right. Keep the picks, and start showing the rest of the league you can actually draft, and develop players first. Just my opinion. 

Get rid of Gase the offense improves instantly 

With or without Thomas and Lawrence 

Why are you trading for Thomas now? Lawrence said a whole bunch of nothing yesterday. He'll be in the draft.

I'm convinced people really don't see big picture. This season's over, what sense does it make to win games? To make you feel better? This team is a disaster and needs to be revamped from the top down.

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I believe there will be more WRs with a 1st and 2d round grade in this draft than last years. IMO this is why JD kept trading back instead of picking a WR in 2020. He was letting other teams fill that need so they would not be looking for a WR in 2021 when the draft class would be even deeper, and at the same time he was accumulating picks because he needed more picks to begin to rebuild the jets roster. I believe JD only picked Mims because he had dropped so far that JD could not pass on the value.

How many picks do the Jets have for 2021?

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I said "Yes" before reading about how much of a head case he has become (besides the punching a teammate incident). No way I'd give up a 1st for him. If it's a 2nd, I'm thinking about it but the character issues are a major red flag.

He is a headcase in New Orleans, with a HOF QB throwing him the ball.

You want to bring him here, to a massive rebuild, with no QB and a team that gets 200 yards a game?   After he has already signed his big contract?  

Pass.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

He is a headcase in New Orleans, with a HOF QB throwing him the ball.

You want to bring him here, to a massive rebuild, with no QB and a team that gets 200 yards a game?   After he has already signed his big contract?  

Pass.

Again where are you guys getting this from that Mike Thomas is a headcase?  He wants to get paid? 

10 hours ago, Biggs said:

See Josh Rosen and take a look at the offseason the Cardinals had including getting a long term deal with both Baker and Hopkins.

Not sure where you're going with this, but they didn't pick up Hopkins for Rosen when they were halfway there on their way to the #1 pick. Nor did they pick up Hopkins to induce a QB to enter the draft. 

Like it or not, Rosen didn’t have the same backing Darnold did. There was a brief time when Rosen got some crazy press - including after that wild comeback which was aided by a long TD pass that first went through a defender’s hands (an interception that would have ended the game, no less) - but while he was once talked about as a #1/#2 pick, in reality he dropped to #10 and was the 4th QB taken, so when he was terrible it was a big shoulder shrug. If he went #1 and busted it would have been a bigger deal. Same person, and yeah it’s all about perception, but that’s kinda the way it is. Darnold’s huge slide still had him going #3, so it’s a big deal perception-wise. 

Maybe (ok probably) I’m not getting the point you’re making, and therefore don’t know that I even disagree with you. They picked up Hopkins and rationalized paying him all that money probably by looking at the combined $ for him plus Murray (guessing about $38MM). Would it make a difference, from 2020-2022, if Murray was making $22MM and Hopkins $16MM?

Hopefully the Jets do that with Lawrence, should they draft him. Unfortunately they won’t be able to add a WR to convince him to come out, since he has to declare before free agency I think.

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not sure where you're going with this, but they didn't pick up Hopkins for Rosen when they were halfway there on their way to the #1 pick. Nor did they pick up Hopkins to induce a QB to enter the draft. 

Like it or not, Rosen didn’t have the same backing Darnold did. There was a brief time when Rosen got some crazy press - including after that wild comeback which was aided by a long TD pass that first went through a defender’s hands (an interception that would have ended the game, no less) - but while he was once talked about as a #1/#2 pick, in reality he dropped to #10 and was the 4th QB taken, so when he was terrible it was a big shoulder shrug. If he went #1 and busted it would have been a bigger deal. Same person, and yeah it’s all about perception, but that’s kinda the way it is. Darnold’s huge slide still had him going #3, so it’s a big deal perception-wise. 

Maybe (ok probably) I’m not getting the point you’re making, and therefore don’t know that I even disagree with you. They picked up Hopkins and rationalized paying him all that money probably by looking at the combined $ for him plus Murray (guessing about $38MM). Would it make a difference, from 2020-2022, if Murray was making $22MM and Hopkins $16MM?

Hopefully the Jets do that with Lawrence, should they draft him. Unfortunately they won’t be able to add a WR to convince him to come out, since he has to declare before free agency I think.

The reason for Lawrence to come out is money.  He will get paid 1 year earlier, he will be off his rookie contract 1 year earlier.  The Jets have cap room and draft picks.  

You're making an assumption that Thomas will make it more attractive for Lawrence to come out.  Having a WR who acts like a dick who has a top head coach and Drew Brees as his QB might make it less attractive.  My guess it's not even a factory.  I suspect Lawrence has deep belief in his football IQ and ability to lift any team.  

Contrary to what people on this board may think, Douglas may actually be a highly respect football GM.  He may actually have a plan to rebuild the team that Lawrence might like.  It might not include trading picks and cap money for a great WR who can't play with Brees and Sean Payton.

What the Cardinals did is they got their QB and when they saw what he could do they went out and got him the ultimate weapon, made him feel good about what they were doing and locked him up long term.  Murray was already the leader of that team.  Larry Fitzgerald is maybe the most respected player and person in the NFL.  When you have a QB like Murray and a leader like Fitz you can absorb a head case.  Hopkins isn't a head case.  He's simply a supremely confident player who's obviously great.  I suspect Thomas is a head case.

Guys like Bell and Brown and Thomas, huge talents, have shot their way off of very good teams.  Teams with really good HC and elite QB's.  The Jets don't have the locker room or the culture to absorb that.  They need a QB who is tough as nails, mentally and physically to be the leader.  Sam seems like he's just not that guy.   Bringing in Thomas might be death to a young QB.  If Lawrence has the goods and the self believe he will either see himself as part of the solution or he will put the money off for a year.  Putting the money off for a year to go to another bad team seems like a very high risk move. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

The reason for Lawrence to come out is money.  He will get paid 1 year earlier, he will be off his rookie contract 1 year earlier.  The Jets have cap room and draft picks.  

You're making an assumption that Thomas will make it more attractive for Lawrence to come out.  Having a WR who acts like a dick who has a top head coach and Drew Brees as his QB might make it less attractive.  My guess it's not even a factory.  I suspect Lawrence has deep belief in his football IQ and ability to lift any team.  

Contrary to what people on this board may think, Douglas may actually be a highly respect football GM.  He may actually have a plan to rebuild the team that Lawrence might like.  It might not include trading picks and cap money for a great WR who can't play with Brees and Sean Payton.

What the Cardinals did is they got their QB and when they saw what he could do they went out and got him the ultimate weapon, made him feel good about what they were doing and locked him up long term.  Murray was already the leader of that team.  Larry Fitzgerald is maybe the most respected player and person in the NFL.  When you have a QB like Murray and a leader like Fitz you can absorb a head case.  Hopkins isn't a head case.  He's simply a supremely confident player who's obviously great.  I suspect Thomas is a head case.

Guys like Bell and Brown and Thomas, huge talents, have shot their way off of very good teams.  Teams with really good HC and elite QB's.  The Jets don't have the locker room or the culture to absorb that.  They need a QB who is tough as nails, mentally and physically to be the leader.  Sam seems like he's just not that guy.   Bringing in Thomas might be death to a young QB.  If Lawrence has the goods and the self believe he will either see himself as part of the solution or he will put the money off for a year.  Putting the money off for a year to go to another bad team seems like a very high risk move. 

I'm making no such assumptions. You must have me confused with someone else, or misinterpret what I said. 

I'm saying that IF the reason to pick up Thomas is to make things more attractive for Lawrence that it may be a fools errand (i.e. I agree with you it's no solution). My reasoning is aside from his charming personality, and more related to the prospects of (a narrative that) the Jets are the cause of the demise of yet another 1st team AP player in his prime. ESPN/et al are not going to carry the torch of "it's not the Jets' fault -- it's the fault of these superstar players" (quite the contrary).

On 10/28/2020 at 9:55 AM, Skeet Ulrich said:

Why are you trading for Thomas now? Lawrence said a whole bunch of nothing yesterday. He'll be in the draft.

I'm convinced people really don't see big picture. This season's over, what sense does it make to win games? To make you feel better? This team is a disaster and needs to be revamped from the top down.

Thomas isn’t helping this offense win games. Point is to have some semblance of an offense so TL doesn’t get cold feet. If Mims can string together 4-5 solid games like last week, it’ll help the Jets perception with Crowder on the inside. If we don’t trade for Thomas (long shot), we need Mims and Perine to shine. 

• Upvote 1

The Saints will be way over the cap. If they can't trade Thomas, he'll be available next year too. If the Jets have the #1 overall, with Brees being a million years old, offer up Sam Darnold for Micheal Thomas. Player for player trades are very rare but who knows? 

Now, you sign Thuney/Stanley or Scherff. If Clark pans out your set. Fant & Edoga fight it out at RT. With our late #1 from Seattle you select Ettiene or Najee Harris whoever is left. 2nd round is for Edge rusher or flip that script & Edge with our 2nd #1 & a RB with pick #33. JDs pretty ballsy, I could see him trading back with either of those 2 picks after Trevor. 

On 10/28/2020 at 1:40 AM, Jet2020 said:

Yes. Do it. For Lord Trevor Lawrence. Letting go of Bell was a mistake. Should’ve kept him around to make TLs decision easier. Now we need a big time receiver to keep TL interested. He seems to be getting cold feet and we can’t afford that after the sh*t show we’ve been putting out every week  

Trevor is starIng us right in the eye and it’s up to us to get him. Trade for MT, ditch Gore and let the young blood take over. If Perine sucks, it’ll be a blessing in disguise. If he’s great, our QB will make sure we lose. Win win. 

Trade for Thomas!

Why not just draft a couple WR next year?

On 10/28/2020 at 10:39 AM, Philc1 said:

Where on earth are you guys getting that Thomas is a problem child?  He’s holding out for a bigger contract so he’s suddenly Terrell Owens?

Do a little digging , his own teammates hate him. We don't need another Santonio headcase. 

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'll have to find it, read an article about a week ago after the fight in practice. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2913300-report-michael-thomas-suspension-result-of-clashes-with-payton-saints-coaches

There was another I read from I think the Athletic that talked more about past issues , but I couldn't find it now. 

Also one video here from Brandon Marshall:

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2913300-report-michael-thomas-suspension-result-of-clashes-with-payton-saints-coaches

There was another I read from I think the Athletic that talked more about past issues , but I couldn't find it now. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/14/do-the-saints-have-a-michael-thomas-problem/

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Is Marshall saying that Thomas suffers from borderline personality disorder? Very serious allegation. 

5 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Is Marshall saying that Thomas suffers from borderline personality disorder? Very serious allegation. 

Kind of what he's alluding to w/o saying it directly. Coming from someone like Marshall who's been there and done that raises a big red flag to me not just from a football perspective but for the guys own personal welfare.