Scott Dierking

Joe Douglas deserves the opportunity of time

1 minute ago, Coffee Is Great said:

He's getting it from the segment of our fanbase that has patience and understands the reality of our situation.

Bingo.

And Adam Gase too.  The entire point of Christopher Johnson's strategy is to slow things down, bring continuity, bring stability, bring a cohesive strategy.  That doesn't get done in 1 year and 1 draft.

If you want a franchise as stable and respected as the Steelers or Ravens, you have to set yourself up and behave like the Steelers or Ravens.  And that's what we're doing.  The knee-jerk SOJF's have to get used to the fact that we're not firing HC's and GM's every time they squeal on social media.  They're going to have to buy-in.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 5
  • Haha 1

FWIW, from down here in Eagle country, the fans did not want to lose Douglas.  They would've preferred we took Roseman. 

Of course they also threw snowballs at Santa, so there's that.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's funny that this needs to be said for a GM after he's had only 1 draft and we've seen Becton look great and Mims was decent in his FIRST game. 

I think he should absolutely have the time he needs to prove himself and we should be patient.

But there is certainly reason for concern.  

The team has gotten worse since he took it over and he's had a handful of bad FA signings.  As of now, Bechton is the only success he can point to.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, Coffee Is Great said:

He's getting it from the segment of our fanbase that has patience and understands the reality of our situation.

The issue here is the GM of the Jets is not an overly powerful or important position in the structure. Yeah Douglas puts together the draft board...but other than that, it’s just not a position of influence. He’s a background guy with a small team of scouts. The Johnson’s have the coach taking the brunt of the criticism while whoever fills the GM seat works in the background. Jets fans always have more confidence in the GM than the coach and the Johnson’s like that bc it’s easier to replace a coach. We can give Douglas time and hope he drafts better players than Maccagnan did, but overall he’s pretty much the same guy with the same authority. 

19 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's funny that this needs to be said for a GM after he's had only 1 draft and we've seen Becton look great and Mims was decent in his FIRST game. 

there is reason for great concern

his roster is MUCH worse after year one then before-his job is to make it better

he let skill guys go that we could use and brought in terrible ones-see our no trick glass pony in perriman

good post about douglas and also about the previous guys.  maybe it was a little too kind to maccagnan but the basic points were right.  i don't think most fans (including me) knew how bereft of talent this team actually is.  and it's made worse because the QB is playing badly.  i'm still willing to give darnold some benefit of the doubt because sometimes he makes some really great throws.  but then he throws a head scratcher.

wee need to give douglas at least 3 drafts before really judging the job he's doing.  that should be about the right amount of time to see if this team is actually becoming a professional team instead of a club.

• Upvote 1

He's gonna have to come out swinging next year cuz not too many people come back from 0-16.

That's Matt Millen territory.

Going to have to show significant improvement, not necessarily playoffs but close.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, peebag said:

He's gonna have to come out swinging next year cuz not too many people come back from 0-16.

Going to have to show significant improvement, not necessarily playoffs but close.

It's surprisingly not that uncommon to see a team go from awful to good in a single season.  Here are a few of the more recent examples:

2017 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS (3-13 TO 10-6)
2016 DALLAS COWBOYS (4-12 TO 13-3)
2013 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (2-12 TO 11-5)
2008 MIAMI DOLPHINS (1-15 TO 11-5)
2004 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (4-12 TO 12-4)

Me? I think we need 2 more seasons.  Next season will  be about continuing to overhaul the roster and hopefully install a new coaching staff and system.  That, plus the additional picks and cap room should set us up nicely for 2022.  By then we will probably only have maybe 3 starters left from the Maccagnan era and be in our second season with the new coach.  Nothing about 2019 should affect the 2022 team.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, kmnj said:

there is reason for great concern

his roster is MUCH worse after year one then before-his job is to make it better

he let skill guys go that we could use and brought in terrible ones-see our no trick glass pony in perriman

You buy a house.You realize it is a "fixer-upper, and will need to invest materials and labor into that project.

As you begin fixing up, you notice that the foundation has cracks. Water is seeping in, and the winters are only making those cracks deeper.

Upon further inspection, some of your beams of support are infested with termites and are weakened.

What do you advise?

- Build around those flaws. The structure will hold for anther few years, and you can get by, and then pawn the job of rebuilding it to someone else, because you won't be here?

-Or, do you tear it down and build it in your mold? With a blueprint. With real structure and solid materials?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

No one should be gifted 'time'

He has his 6 year contract so he will be here but if his drafts flop after say three years there is no reason to gift him.

Mccagnan was given 'time; 5 years and was a disaster, as a matter of fact giving him that last year was a massive massive mistake.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The issue here is the GM of the Jets is not an overly powerful or important position in the structure. Yeah Douglas puts together the draft board...but other than that, it’s just not a position of influence. He’s a background guy with a small team of scouts. The Johnson’s have the coach taking the brunt of the criticism while whoever fills the GM seat works in the background. Jets fans always have more confidence in the GM than the coach and the Johnson’s like that bc it’s easier to replace a coach. We can give Douglas time and hope he drafts better players than Maccagnan did, but overall he’s pretty much the same guy with the same authority. 

Douglas was given the opportunity to beef up personnel and scouting. It was a condition of hire. Hopefully, he has it in the manner he deems acceptable.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

He has his 6 year contract so he will be here but if his drafts flop after say three years there is no reason to gift him.

Mccagnan was given 'time; 5 years and was a disaster, as a matter of fact giving him that last year was a massive massive mistake.

No one is saying gifting anything. But, 2022 is most realistic to judge.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, peebag said:

1 win from 0-16 is 100% improvement 🤗

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Mike Maccagnan's first draft:

Pick 1.6 – Leonard Williams, DL, USC
Pick 2.37 – Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State
Pick 3.82 – Lorenzo Mauldin, EDGE, Louisville
Pick 4.103 – Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor
Pick 5.152 – Jarvis Harrison, OL, Texas A&M
Pick 7.223 – Deon Simon, DL, Northwestern State

I believe only two of these players are still active in the league and one of them being Devin Smith who has 5 catches since 2016.  I could go on to Macc's 2nd draft with Darron Lee and Hackenberg at the top, but that would be piling on.

Maybe it's unfair to compare 1st drafts this soon, but I think it's safe to say that Joe Douglas has gotten off to a far better start already and I am comfortable based on the early returns being patient with him. 

Fun fact:  Joe Douglas in his first year has drafted as many OL as Mike Maccagnan in 4 years.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Beaver said:

1 win from 0-16 is 100% improvement 🤗

sooo....you're ok with 1 win next year?

1 hour ago, Kolchak said:

FWIW, from down here in Eagle country, the fans did not want to lose Douglas.  They would've preferred we took Roseman. 

Of course they also threw snowballs at Santa, so there's that.

Oh and they are burning down their city. So there's that also.

• Haha 1

Who rushed him into signing Josh Doctson,Ryan Khalil,Kaare Vadvik,Donte Moncreif and other busts. 

In JD we trust but unless he starts now, no way he upgrades this team until 2025. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Who rushed him into signing Josh Doctson,Ryan Khalil,Kaare Vadvik,Donte Moncreif and other busts. 

In JD we trust but unless he starts now, no way he upgrades this team until 2025. 

Unless there were better options available, you could argue that he made the right call by signing guys to short deals.  None of those guys are affecting our salary cap next year so there was no harm done (as opposed to a Trumaine Johnson type deal).

Seriously, was there a FA Center, Kicker or WR just sitting out there waiting to be snatched up?  Robby Anderson is the only name you can point to and say JD might have been wise to do differently.  I'm not 100% sold on that, but I definitely can see the argument being a strong one.  Beyond that, you're not going to win an F1 race with a car you buy at the used lot no matter how much coin you have to spend.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Just now, nycdan said:

Unless there were better options available, you could argue that he made the right call by signing guys to short deals.  None of those guys are affecting our salary cap next year so there was no harm done (as opposed to a Trumaine Johnson type deal).

Seriously, was there a FA Center, Kicker or WR just sitting out there waiting to be snatched up?  Robby Anderson is the only name you can point to and say JD might have been wise to do differently.  I'm not 100% sold on that, but I definitely can see the argument being a strong one.  Beyond that, you're not going to win an F1 race with a car you buy at the used lot no matter how much coin you have to spend.

Ryan Khalil is hopefully his worst signing as NY Jets GM. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jets0712 said:

Great post. Period.
Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

agreed !.. he's gonna need at least another 2 or 3 seasons to turn this team around. Seriously   8::

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

• Upvote 1

Has anyone seriously expressed a desire to move on from JD?

Its pretty much common knowledge hes getting at least 4 years.

15 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

CCBCCC83-CE21-4F44-8C80-6DAEC592A351.png

Jesus he is a fat fuvk now.

JD will have time regardless of what the fanbase thinks or wants.  He definitely deserves it.   He has 1 draft under his belt and outside of the injury Bechton looks like a LT that should have gone higher than he did and we got him at 8.  Now the injuries that has been though out this class is concerning. Alot we can say about it lasck of mini-camps, - lack of real training camp and preseason games, and of course GASE but I won't say that (opps guess I did).   Though I think Pernine is showing he can play in the league at a good level and maybe better if Gase wasn't here.  Seems like reports on guys we haven't seen yet like Clark and Zuniga have been promising.  Davis has been ok.  I can say this I haven't really seen him do anything on defense that's hurt the team.  No he isn't Jamal Adams but he looks like he his playing well.  

Long story short JD gets the right Coaching staff, plus 10 draft picks in 2021 and the 2nd most cap space in the NFL and this franchise will can go from a laughing stock to very competitive quickly and 2022.   Think the 4-12 2016 Rams and then the hiring of McVay and then proceeding to go 11-5 in 2017 to 13-3 in 2018.  A similar trajectory. Finishing 0-16 this year to 7-9 next year to 11-5/12-4 in 2022.  

The key is the coaching staff.   Jared Goff isn't a good QB but McVay knows how to coach to what he can do.    Josh Allen, I don't care what his numbers say, is still not a good QB but McDermoth knows how to coach and gameplan to what he does do well and make him look great.   Darnold/Lawrence won't make a difference.  Get the Coaching staff in that knows what the hell they are doing with the QB they have and either will be successful.  Can you guys imagine what Allen would look like under Gase.   GHEWWWWW

But with all that said I like JD and I believe in him. 

• Upvote 2

I think very very highly of the way JD has gone about his business so far.  

It's hard to believe that next year in 2021 the Jets will still have $15 million dollars in dead cap space still left over from Mac (Tru, Quincy, Bell), that is a dead weight around this franchise's neck.  That $15 million is about what you could sign Allen Robinson for.  Therefore in 2022 JD will finally not have one arm tied behind his back and will have some of his draft picks up and running with some experience.  The roster, cap and drafts will truly be his.  I'll be patient because I have no other choice and it's reasonable given how awful this team has been managed for a decade.

• Upvote 3