It may be up to Lawrence to declare for the draft but it is up to JD to make him a Jet.

As far as Lawrence staying at Clemson or coming out for the NFL, that is something the Jets probably will not be able influence, at least on the surface, but if he does declare which I think he will, it is up to JD to convince him the Jets should be the team he comes to when they interview him at the combine. He basically has to be convinced, we aren't going to Sam Darnold you, we are going to actually build a team around you and protect you. This is actually the challenge because number one, CJ is going to be there and hopefully CJ just sits there and smiles while JD makes his pitch. He has to be given the feeling he is going to be treated like Mahomes has been. Mahomes from what I read actually drafted Helair. He has to be convinced he is going to be part of the process, not a victim of it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

As far as Lawrence staying at Clemson or coming out for the NFL, that is something the Jets probably will not be able influence, at least on the surface, but if he does declare which I think he will, it is up to JD to convince him the Jets should be the team he comes to when they interview him at the combine. He basically has to be convinced, we aren't going to Sam Darnold you, we are going to actually build a team around you and protect you. This is actually the challenge because number one, CJ is going to be there and hopefully CJ just sits there and smiles while JD makes his pitch. He has to be given the feeling he is going to be treated like Mahomes has been. Mahomes from what I read actually drafted Helair. He has to be convinced he is going to be part of the process, not a victim of it. 

so maybe lawrence will have to get a haircut?

It may be up to Lawrence to declare for the draft but it is up to JD to make him a Jet.

The premise here is spot on.

As the GM of the NYJ, as the "culture changer" and the guy painting a bright future for this franchise, it is 100% on JD to do the sales job required to get Trevor Lawrence here.

After 18 months on the job, JD now has a track record of how he handles the roster, how he treats players, how he is building for the future and by March he will have been here for 2 years.  Even if the team isn't great it will be Trevor's trust (or not) in the vision that JD has painted over 2 years that determines whether Trevor makes an active decision to try to avoid this place.

• Post of the Week 1

We will need to fire Gase and bring in an established head coach or a red hot coordinator. That's the starting point... After that, Joe Douglas is going to have to SPEND! his money in free agency. Dump it into the line, sign JuJu, etc.

Just getting a new coach is not enough. We will need to be very aggressive in free agency. I understand some people here don't like the idea, but what is the alternative... tell Lawrence that not to worry, he'll get smacked for 2 years but in those years we'll draft well and support him, then ultimately hopefully he's not shellshocked and can then perform? No way. Support him now! Otherwise, why wouldn't he walk away?

• Upvote 1

Hopefully by the time the draft rolls around we have an entirely new coaching staff, built by a real head coach.

But, knowing the Johnson brothers, aka Dumb and Dumber, we will probably either be going into year 3 of the Gase disaster, or will have hired another loser head coach...?

7 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

We will need to fire Gase and bring in an established head coach or a red hot coordinator. That's the starting point... After that, Joe Douglas is going to have to SPEND! his money in free agency. Dump it into the line, sign JuJu, etc.

Just getting a new coach is not enough. We will need to be very aggressive in free agency. I understand some people here don't like the idea, but what is the alternative... tell Lawrence that not to worry, he'll get smacked for 2 years but in those years we'll draft well and support him, then ultimately hopefully he's not shellshocked and can then perform? No way. Support him now! Otherwise, why wouldn't he walk away?

You beat me to the fire Gase part, but I would guess that JD is shedding players and building cap space to spend in next year's free agency, when the expected lower cap will put a lot of good players on the market.

5 minutes ago, viffer said:

You beat me to the fire Gase part, but I would guess that JD is shedding players and building cap space to spend in next year's free agency, when the expected lower cap will put a lot of good players on the market.

It has to happen. If we’re to get better at any sort of real speed, Joe has gotta spend. Just drafting well is great, but it’s playing the really long game and I can’t see Trevor being too interested in what the Jets look like 5 years from now today

5 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

It has to happen. If we’re to get better at any sort of real speed, Joe has gotta spend. Just drafting well is great, but it’s playing the really long game and I can’t see Trevor being too interested in what the Jets look like 5 years from now today

I think JD will spend but not like you hope he will. I don't think there will ever be Trumaine Johnson- or CJ Mosely-like deals by Joe. I expect a lot of value picks to add depth, and maybe a moderate deal or two for potential starters. But I think he will stick to the draft to find future stars, not pay over-the-hill former stars like Mac did.

• Upvote 1

This is why I truly believe they just released Lev so he can control his destiny, JD knows that will go a long way with the players because through everything he’s been through on the Jets Lev will at least give JD credit for how he handled him(especially because he wasn’t the GM to sign him)