Would you get on board with Mike Zimmer?

I'm sure everyone is chomping at the bit to discuss another hypothetical scenario for next year, but this one is particularly intriguing to me.

My father-in-law is a huge Vikings fan.  I consider him pretty knowledgeable and level headed when it comes to sports.  He's on a Vikings message board similar to this(I'm sure not quite as good though).

Any way, he says the Vikings fan base is really starting to splinter on Zimmer and that some of the local MN media he reads is starting to wonder aloud how long he will be there.

My question for all you folks would be would you approve of Mike Zimmer as the next coach?   I find it an interesting discussion because 1) He's a good coach. 2) Not sure he's a great coach.  3) He's not an offensive guy. 4) But his offenses have been pretty good over the years

My opinion is he'd be a good hire simply because I think at worst, he is a good enough coach to help develop players.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

No, he's the exact same coach they've been trying for years. He's just switching back to the coordinator in chief having a defensive background. 

I can't fathom how anyone could think he'd be a good hire. He has all the same problems that Rex and Bowles had...

Gase is causing a derangement amongst Jets fans who think that going from suck to blow is something to aspire to..

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm sure everyone is chomping at the bit to discuss another hypothetical scenario for next year, but this one is particularly intriguing to me.

My father-in-law is a huge Vikings fan.  I consider him pretty knowledgeable and level headed when it comes to sports.  He's on a Vikings message board similar to this(I'm sure not quite as good though).

Any way, he says the Vikings fan base is really starting to splinter on Zimmer and that some of the local MN media he reads is starting to wonder aloud how long he will be there.

My question for all you folks would be would you approve of Mike Zimmer as the next coach?   I find it an interesting discussion because 1) He's a good coach. 2) Not sure he's a great coach.  3) He's not an offensive guy. 4) But his offenses have been pretty good over the years

My opinion is he'd be a good hire simply because I think at worst, he is a good enough coach to help develop players.  

No.

No, No,no. 

I believe this is the same answer most gave when he was brought up a couple of weeks back

No way.

Not saying he's a bad option but the recycled, retread HC is a path we've tried and failed at.  Guys like McCarthy and Gase are flopping, their second acts are not working out.  Minnesota has had a lot of talent up there and he hasn't been able to put together much success while they've been in "win now" mode for about 3 years.  19-18 combined regular season record in 2018, 2019, 2020 so far.

• Upvote 1

He's been entrusted with a lot of talent in Minnesota and had very mixed results.  2 division titles, 3 playoff appearances, 2 playoff wins...good.  3 seasons with 8 wins or less (likely about to have a 4th this year), and currently 1-5...not good at all.

You could do worse than Zimmer but I hope we can do a lot better.  It would be a very unimaginative hire.  A fairly high floor option with a low ceiling.

• Upvote 1

The fact that it seems most people would say no makes him my front runner.

My real line of thinking is that the Jets absolutely cannot afford to miss on the next coaching hire.  That's why a guy like Zimmer might make sense.  He might not be the next big thing, but he's also not likely to be completely inept.  He's show the ability to Win at times, but just not take Minnesota to that elite level.

You have walk before you can run.  Zimmer can walk at least.

• Thumb Down 2

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

My real line of thinking is that the Jets absolutely cannot afford to miss on the next coaching hire.  That's why a guy like Zimmer might make sense.  He might not be the next big thing, but he's also not likely to be completely inept.  He's show the ability to Win at times, but just not take Minnesota to that elite level.

There are some positions you can play it safe with -- with HC I think you swing for the fences. I don't see why you'd ever hire a HC you didn't think could win a Super Bowl.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The fact that it seems most people would say no makes him my front runner.

You have walk before you can run.  Zimmer can walk at least.

So in your plan, Zimmer would be a placeholder for the next, better HC?  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

There are some positions you can play it safe with -- with HC I think you swing for the fences. I don't see why you'd ever hire a HC you didn't think could win a Super Bowl.

Some of the most highly regarded coaches in the league have never won a Super Bowl.  If Kyle Shannahan came available tomorrow most people would think he's a slam dunk hire.  Can you win a Super Bowl with him?  I don't know.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

No... I have zeroed in on Trevor Lawrence as the QB and Greg Roman as the HC. 

Anything else will be a HUGE let down.

And I don't want Fields as QB or Harbaugh as HC. 

I want GR and TL

This makes little sense.  Roman and Fields would be a very logical, excellent pairing.  

• Upvote 4

It wouldn’t be the worst hire, but it’d be pretty uninspiring. Zimmer is older, defensive-minded, and extremely conservative on offense. He coaches like it’s 1978. The NFL is moving completely in the opposite direction. So I’d pass and go for someone younger who can groom Lawrence or Fields. Matt Rhule would have been perfect. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Some of the most highly regarded coaches in the league have never won a Super Bowl.  If Kyle Shannahan came available tomorrow most people would think he's a slam dunk hire.  Can you win a Super Bowl with him?  I don't know.  

I mean, Shanahan had a double digit lead in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl. I think it's fair to say he can win one.

Regardless my point isn't that you only hires guys who have done it (I doubt any Super Bowl winning coach is choosing the Jets anyway.) Just that you need to believe the guy you're hiring can. I'm not sure I really see that with Zimmer.

• Upvote 1

Frankly, if we’re going the retread route that isn’t going to blow anyone’s t!ts off, I’d look at Jason Garrett.

Most Cowboys fans would kill to have him back at this point.

Say what you will, but the guy is level headed and knows how to run a competent offense. I mean, as long as the biggest fumble machine in NFL history isn’t standing behind center.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Frankly, if we’re going the retread route that isn’t going to blow anyone’s t!ts off, I’d look at Jason Garrett.
Most Cowboys fans would kill to have him back at this point.
Say what you will, but the guy is level headed and knows how to run a competent offense. I mean, as long as the biggest fumble machine in NFL history isn’t standing behind center.

I swear to God I was going to post the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So in your plan, Zimmer would be a placeholder for the next, better HC?  

No, I wouldn't say it like that.  

I think Zimmer is a good coach.  Is he a great coach?  I dont know.  Probably not great, but I don't think only great coaches win Super Bowls.

The point I'm trying to make is if the Jets hire say Eric Bienemy (insert whoever really) that is a complete wild card, and they flop, then 3 years from now it's possible we are right here in the same exact position having the same exact discussion.  Did Coach X ruin players Y & Z?  Where the Jets are as a franchise, we should be looking for stabilizing forces, not lightning in a bottle.

If Zimmer was here for 5 years and brought the Jets back to respectability and had a playoff run it two, from where we are now, would that be a bad hire?  In my opinion, no.

It's really a risk reward question/risk tolerance question.  Is the risk of hiring the next Zac Taylor (insert coordinator flop of your choosing) to hire the next Sean McVay worth passing up someone who has proven to be a pretty good albeit unspectacular head coach?  

3 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I swear to God I was going to post the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I can think of a lot worse options.

Certainly not my #1 choice (that’s Harbaugh in a landslide), but I’d probably prefer him over most of the coordinators with zero head coaching experience that have been talked about.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

No, I wouldn't say it like that.  

I think Zimmer is a good coach.  Is he a great coach?  I dont know.  Probably not great, but I don't think only great coaches win Super Bowls.

The point I'm trying to make is if the Jets hire say Eric Bienemy (insert whoever really) that is a complete wild card, and they flop, then 3 years from now it's possible we are right here in the same exact position having the same exact discussion.  Did Coach X ruin players Y & Z?  Where the Jets are as a franchise, we should be looking for stabilizing forces, not lightning in a bottle.

If Zimmer was here for 5 years and brought the Jets back to respectability and had a playoff run it two, from where we are now, would that be a bad hire?  In my opinion, no.

It's really a risk reward question/risk tolerance question.  Is the risk of hiring the next Zac Taylor (insert coordinator flop of your choosing) to hire the next Sean McVay worth passing up someone who has proven to be a pretty good albeit unspectacular head coach?  

Zimmer has never groomed a rookie QB. That is why, if you want a safe, transitional HC, you go with Jason Garrett.