Daniel Jeremiah on Darnold's Trade Value

Was listening to Cimini's flight deck because he had DJ on and DJ not only is one of the most informed insiders but also has a relationship with Joe D from their scouting days together. The interview overall had a lot of good nuggets, but one part that absolutely shocked me was when DJ started speaking about Sam's trade value. DJ admits that he is a big Darnold supporter but says he heard Schefters report saying we wouldn't be able to get a first round pick for Sam and he disagrees. He says the Jets would absolutely get a first round pick from some of the good teams picking in the late rounds. He mentions Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Indy, and SF as potential trade partners. 

Link for the podcast is here if people want to listen (~28 minutes in is the talk of Darnolds value) : http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive/_/id/26768425

I was pretty shocked by this as I would have been happy with a 2nd... so hopefully DJ knows something here. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Was listening to Cimini's flight deck because he had DJ on and DJ not only is one of the most informed insiders but also has a relationship with Joe D from their scouting days together. The interview overall had a lot of good nuggets, but one part that absolutely shocked me was when DJ started speaking about Sam's trade value. DJ admits that he is a big Darnold supporter but says he heard Schefters report saying we wouldn't be able to get a first round pick for Sam and he disagrees. He says the Jets would absolutely get a first round pick from some of the good teams picking in the late rounds. He mentions Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Indy, and SF as potential trade partners. 

Link for the podcast is here if people want to listen (~28 minutes in is the talk of Darnolds value) : http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive/_/id/26768425

I was pretty shocked by this as I would have been happy with a 2nd... so hopefully DJ knows something here. 

Ok, so why hasnt he been traded?

• Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think the Jets are going to get rid of him until they're certain they can draft Trevor.

Fair and I guess none of those teams need him right now. 

But what if he continues to sh*t the bed and losses his supposed 1st round value?   If they're obviously moving on from him so why not maximize his value and build around a FA until you can find your next franchise Qb in the draft?  

2 minutes ago, peebag said:

9 games remaining in the season, there are months before the draft, etc.

Again, I get all that but I guess maybe I just dont believe he's worth a 1st round pick.  He sucks and I'm confident he's only going to look worse by the end of the season and definitely without question, not be a 1st round value.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Trevor Lawrence and 3 other picks from, say, #20-33 overall could be enough to get a culture changing head coach here.

I think Lawrence is worried about the Jets in their current state but if we can get a Matt Campbell or someone on that level who can build a program, that could be enough to get him to declare.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

Ok, so why hasnt he been traded?

Maybe because the teams mentioned already have a good starter this season?  The aunts and the Steelers could be viable trade partners because brees and be are getting pretty old. I suspect Ben wants to get another trophy and that might happen this year.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Trevor Lawrence and 3 other picks from, say, #20-33 overall could be enough to get a culture changing head coach here.

I think Lawrence is worried about the Jets in their current state but if we can get a Matt Campbell or someone on that level who can build a program, that could be enough to get him to declare.

This is correct.

a high profile HC and 3 more picks in the top 33 - plus Becton and Mims...there’s reason to be excited.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

I'll be impressed if JD gets a 1st for Darnold. Agree he'll probably wait until draft.

I think he’ll have to wait to get the best value.

All those teams will want to see what they’ll be givIng up to get him.  Right now I can’t imagine any team bringing him in to play this year.

ultimately this will come down to: 
is there a better chance that they can fix Sam or does a QB we can draft at 20 have a better chance.  

I have little doubt some team will believe Sam is the better prospect.  But we’ll have to wait until those other teams can do their homework. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I think he’ll have to wait to get the best value.

All those teams will want to see what they’ll be givIng up to get him.  Right now I can’t imagine any team bringing him in to play this year.

ultimately this will come down to: 
is there a better chance that they can fix Sam or does a QB we can draft at 20 have a better chance.  

I have little doubt some team will believe Sam is the better prospect.  But we’ll have to wait until those other teams can do their homework. 

Agree -- very difficult for a QB acquired mid-season to have an impact. Does anyone know of any examples? I don't.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I would alter this to “until they’re certain they can draft his replacement” (I don’t think it’s necessarily Trevor or Sam)

I think JD would trade him in a second for 1  Just don’t think he can get it right now.  I do think he can get it just before the draft though.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Did you think they would get (2) 1sts, a 3rd, and a S for Adams and a future 4th?... If not then maybe you are not as privy to the market as you think you are

never claimed i was privy to anything.

just expressing my instinctive reaction.

i try to NOT PLAY GM as frequently as possible.

SOME things are obvious...like drafting Watson over a ******* saefty.

or that LEE woulda be outta the league soon.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I keep hearing Pittsburgh mentioned about Sam. That scares me. A young, potentially elusive QB with upside.. a replacement for big boy Ben. I imagine seeing them as a perennial roadblock on the way to finding a championship all for a measly first round pick that doesn't materialize into anything . And the headlines always reading how Sam was ours and now he is the leader of our nemesis that kicks our teeth in each year. Another SOJ moment until he retires. Then I think about the massive garbage plays and the defenses he can't read that even I can see, and I remember just how much I laughed watching that soft bodied USC product play and I feel better and am ok with sending him off for a box of golf balls. And I don't even play golf.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1