Sign in to follow this  
TuscanyTile2

Poll: Do you think JD wants to replace Darnold, even if we can't get Trevor?

Poll: Do you think JD wants to replace Darnold, even if we can't get Trevor?  

127 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Poll: Do you think JD wants to replace Darnold, even if we can't get Trevor? (Basically "has JD given up on Darnold"?)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/2020 at 05:34 AM

If we can't get Trevor Lawrence, do you think JD still would want to replace Darnold?

Yes

... he didn’t do Sam any favors player-wise

... but 2020 was trial-by-fire for Sam to show JD what he had

Unfortunately the results have been a complete and total failure

Sam will be replaced after the draft

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Why do you think he drafted Morgan? Maybe because he thought he may decide to trade Darnold this season.

I thought he was a fan of the spiced rum. I know I am! 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Crusher said:

I thought he was a fan of the spiced rum. I know I am! 

Probably that too, Darnold is a Malibu guy.

• Haha 2

The eagles have a “QB as currency “ philosophy 

he may hang onto Sam as long as he can

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Probably that too, Darnold is a Malibu guy.

4E60E37D-6FD2-4CE3-8ACC-154DCE148D62.jpeg

• Haha 1

It's possible we see another year of Darnold, but if he stays on the team there's no way he gets the 5th year option at this point.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, derp said:

I think it’s less that he’s given up on Darnold and more that he understands the best time to compete is when your quarterback is on his rookie contract. Drafted QB in 2021 meshes better with the rebuild timeline.

Makes total sense. While I like Darnold, JD didn't draft him and if he does draft TL or Fields, he's now got 2 QB's on rookie deals and can get the best deal he can for Darnold.

• Upvote 1

Something crazy happens and we don’t get a QB in draft, JD probably still trades Sam and we go the vet stopgap route next year.

• Thumb Down 2

I’m not sure if it is as simple as he didn’t draft him. JD may have thought when he took the job that he might have the franchise QB in place so the rebuild won’t take as long. After seeing Darnold and being around him for a year and a half now, he may realize that this guy isn’t going to lead the team where he wants it. 
It’s obvious that Sam has regressed from his rookie season, it could very well be that coaching and personnel around him are a major reason for this but he has to take some responsibility for it too. He still makes some wtf was  he looking at throws, holds the ball too long, and somehow can’t see wide open receivers. That isn’t someone you hang your hat on for the future.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I’m not sure if it is as simple as he didn’t draft him. JD may have thought when he took the job that he might have the franchise QB in place so the rebuild won’t take as long. After seeing Darnold and being around him for a year and a half now, he may realize that this guy isn’t going to lead the team where he wants it. 
It’s obvious that Sam has regressed from his rookie season, it could very well be that coaching and personnel around him are a major reason for this but he has to take some responsibility for it too. He still makes some wtf was  he looking at throws, holds the ball too long, and somehow can’t see wide open receivers. That isn’t someone you hang your hat on for the future.

Good post. With that being said it's much easier to move on from someone you didn't invest a draft pick in then someone you did. How many times have we seen GMs hold onto QBs longer then they should have because of the sunken cost of investing a pick in him? It's happened in the past with the Jets and elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't be shocked if Douglas had the same perception of Darnold that many of us did -- still thought he might be the guy going into 2020 but after seeing him this year realizes the kid doesn't have it.

2 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Good post. With that being said it's much easier to move on from someone you didn't invest a draft pick in then someone you did. How many times have we seen GMs hold onto QBs longer then they should have because of the sunken cost of investing a pick in him? It's happened in the past with the Jets and elsewhere. 

Good point, it’s easier to walk away from someone else’s perceived mistake than it is your own.

• Upvote 1

I think people have it twisted when they they think a new GM has a bias against players they did not draft. This is not accurate. They simply have not accumulated the bias that typically gets attached to players that they do draft. And really, only bad GMs tend to really suffer from this. Good ones keep the bias in check.

If JD thinks he can improve the QB position he will do so. But no one really knows what JD thinks of Sam and his future prospects with the organization. 

• Upvote 1

If we somehow don’t get one of the top 3 QBs who is JD getting?

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

If we somehow don’t get one of the top 3 QBs

There is probably less than a 1% chance that we won't be able to draft one of the top 3 QBs. I wouldn't worry about this until it actually happens. 

14 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Trevor isn’t the only good QB in next years draft. 

Right.  But he is the only bona fied generational talent in the draft.  I have seen TL play and I have seen Fields play.  Both are very impressive.   However, Lawrence is in another class.  Above and beyond not just fields, but Elway, Manning, Luck.. etc.  Lawrence may be the best QB prospect ever.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Right.  But he is the only bona fied generational talent in the draft.  I have seen TL play and I have seen Fields play.  Both are very impressive.   However, Lawrence is in another class.  Above and beyond not just fields, but Elway, Manning, Luck.. etc.  Lawrence may be the best QB prospect ever.  

Stop It Chill Out GIF by Chicks on the Right

31 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Stop It Chill Out GIF by Chicks on the Right

Not at all.  Been watching football for years.  Played a bit at a "low level".   TL is is beyond impressive in every respect. 

Just now, THE BARON said:

Not at all.  Been watching football for years.  Played a bit at a "low level".   TL is is beyond impressive in every respect. 

I'm not denying that he's extremely impressive, I just think some of the effusive praise is over the top and setting yourself up to be disappointed. 

The financial reality of Sam Darnold entering year 4 (the year they have to decide on a ludicrous 25 mil 5th year option) means yes JD has always wanted to replace Darnold 

it's obvious but if the poll above is right, 40% of the board does not see this (or perhaps doesn't want to)

the way to build toward a championship is Lamar Jackson style or how Russell Wilson's title. You spend the money at the other spots while keeping the QB contract small. Once you have to give Matt Stafford 100 million dollars it's tougher to win that title. 

200.gif

I still think no, but the Bell release has me questioning what JD might be thinking re: Sam.

The need to make a decision on Sam's 5th year option by May plays big into this

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'm not denying that he's extremely impressive, I just think some of the effusive praise is over the top and setting yourself up to be disappointed. 

Im a Jets fan.  Disappointment is mothers milk... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Look at this situation like your Joe Douglas & ask yourself this 1 simple question:

Would you pay Sam Darnold 25 million dollars?

And there’s your answer! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Look at this situation like your Joe Douglas & ask yourself this 1 simple question:

Would you pay Sam Darnold 25 million dollars?

And there’s your answer! 

Brutal, honest, and no grey area. And 100% correct.

• Upvote 1

JD wants to hang his hat on a not only the QB that he picks, but pretty much the entire team, and not the leftovers from the worst GM in the history of the franchise.  JD has been systematically removing Mac players since he got here and the cherry on top for him will be anointing HIS QB in 2021. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Icer said:

It's possible we see another year of Darnold, but if he stays on the team there's no way he gets the 5th year option at this point.

I think he's on the brink of giving up...