Poll: Do you think JD wants to replace Darnold, even if we can't get Trevor?

Poll: Do you think JD wants to replace Darnold, even if we can't get Trevor?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Do you think JD wants to replace Darnold, even if we can't get Trevor? (Basically "has JD given up on Darnold"?)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/2020 at 05:34 AM

9 hours ago, derp said:

I think it’s less that he’s given up on Darnold and more that he understands the best time to compete is when your quarterback is on his rookie contract. Drafted QB in 2021 meshes better with the rebuild timeline.

Makes total sense. While I like Darnold, JD didn't draft him and if he does draft TL or Fields, he's now got 2 QB's on rookie deals and can get the best deal he can for Darnold.

• Upvote 1

I’m not sure if it is as simple as he didn’t draft him. JD may have thought when he took the job that he might have the franchise QB in place so the rebuild won’t take as long. After seeing Darnold and being around him for a year and a half now, he may realize that this guy isn’t going to lead the team where he wants it. 
It’s obvious that Sam has regressed from his rookie season, it could very well be that coaching and personnel around him are a major reason for this but he has to take some responsibility for it too. He still makes some wtf was  he looking at throws, holds the ball too long, and somehow can’t see wide open receivers. That isn’t someone you hang your hat on for the future.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I’m not sure if it is as simple as he didn’t draft him. JD may have thought when he took the job that he might have the franchise QB in place so the rebuild won’t take as long. After seeing Darnold and being around him for a year and a half now, he may realize that this guy isn’t going to lead the team where he wants it. 
It’s obvious that Sam has regressed from his rookie season, it could very well be that coaching and personnel around him are a major reason for this but he has to take some responsibility for it too. He still makes some wtf was  he looking at throws, holds the ball too long, and somehow can’t see wide open receivers. That isn’t someone you hang your hat on for the future.

Good post. With that being said it's much easier to move on from someone you didn't invest a draft pick in then someone you did. How many times have we seen GMs hold onto QBs longer then they should have because of the sunken cost of investing a pick in him? It's happened in the past with the Jets and elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Good post. With that being said it's much easier to move on from someone you didn't invest a draft pick in then someone you did. How many times have we seen GMs hold onto QBs longer then they should have because of the sunken cost of investing a pick in him? It's happened in the past with the Jets and elsewhere. 

Good point, it’s easier to walk away from someone else’s perceived mistake than it is your own.

• Upvote 1

I think people have it twisted when they they think a new GM has a bias against players they did not draft. This is not accurate. They simply have not accumulated the bias that typically gets attached to players that they do draft. And really, only bad GMs tend to really suffer from this. Good ones keep the bias in check.

If JD thinks he can improve the QB position he will do so. But no one really knows what JD thinks of Sam and his future prospects with the organization. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Trevor isn’t the only good QB in next years draft. 

Right.  But he is the only bona fied generational talent in the draft.  I have seen TL play and I have seen Fields play.  Both are very impressive.   However, Lawrence is in another class.  Above and beyond not just fields, but Elway, Manning, Luck.. etc.  Lawrence may be the best QB prospect ever.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Right.  But he is the only bona fied generational talent in the draft.  I have seen TL play and I have seen Fields play.  Both are very impressive.   However, Lawrence is in another class.  Above and beyond not just fields, but Elway, Manning, Luck.. etc.  Lawrence may be the best QB prospect ever.  

Stop It Chill Out GIF by Chicks on the Right

Just now, THE BARON said:

Not at all.  Been watching football for years.  Played a bit at a "low level".   TL is is beyond impressive in every respect. 

I'm not denying that he's extremely impressive, I just think some of the effusive praise is over the top and setting yourself up to be disappointed. 

The financial reality of Sam Darnold entering year 4 (the year they have to decide on a ludicrous 25 mil 5th year option) means yes JD has always wanted to replace Darnold 

it's obvious but if the poll above is right, 40% of the board does not see this (or perhaps doesn't want to)

the way to build toward a championship is Lamar Jackson style or how Russell Wilson's title. You spend the money at the other spots while keeping the QB contract small. Once you have to give Matt Stafford 100 million dollars it's tougher to win that title. 

200.gif

JD wants to hang his hat on a not only the QB that he picks, but pretty much the entire team, and not the leftovers from the worst GM in the history of the franchise.  JD has been systematically removing Mac players since he got here and the cherry on top for him will be anointing HIS QB in 2021. 

• Upvote 1