Poll: Do you think JD wants to replace Darnold, even if we can't get Trevor?

Poll: Do you think JD wants to replace Darnold, even if we can't get Trevor?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Do you think JD wants to replace Darnold, even if we can't get Trevor? (Basically "has JD given up on Darnold"?)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/2020 at 05:34 AM

16 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If we can't get Trevor Lawrence, do you think JD still would want to replace Darnold?

we have 14 threads on JN about Fields and Lance.... what part of process do you think you'll start to warm up to them as alternatives should cards fall a certain way? ....combine? March?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

we have 14 threads on JN about Fields and Lance.... what part of process do you think you'll start to warm up to them as alternatives should cards fall a certain way? ....combine? March?

Those threads are essentially about what fans think of Darnold (that they want to replace him).  My poll was about what we think Joe D thinks about him.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Icer said:

It's possible we see another year of Darnold, but if he stays on the team there's no way he gets the 5th year option at this point.

Can Darnold play through the entire 4th year of his contract for the season and will the team not have to pickup the 5th year option for Sam playing that whole 4th season, at least till the games end?. 

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How are we supposed to have any idea what JD is thinking? Odd question.

People on here make guesses as to what these guys are thinking all the time.

"Gase looks defeated in his press conferences"

"CJ looks like he's still on Gase's side based on that pat on the back"

SAR I thinks CJ and Gase puppeteered Macc right before he got fired.

etc.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Joejet said:

I’m not sure if it is as simple as he didn’t draft him. JD may have thought when he took the job that he might have the franchise QB in place so the rebuild won’t take as long. After seeing Darnold and being around him for a year and a half now, he may realize that this guy isn’t going to lead the team where he wants it. 
It’s obvious that Sam has regressed from his rookie season, it could very well be that coaching and personnel around him are a major reason for this but he has to take some responsibility for it too. He still makes some wtf was  he looking at throws, holds the ball too long, and somehow can’t see wide open receivers. That isn’t someone you hang your hat on for the future.

What I don't like is how Sam handles consistent Blitzing. There's sporatic blitzing that if recognized too late you throw the ball away, or if not hit a WR on say a hot slant route. Then there is consistent Blitzing like what we have been seeing teams throw at Sam like Pats did in the ghost game or what we saw in the 2nd half of last weeks game. There you have multiple options of draws, screens, and hot routes you can execute even when your Line can't give you much time. No, he waits how many seconds where no offensive line could hold blitzes for that long and then bad things happen. From what I am seeing he makes this Oline look bad and they are probably better than they look especially the interior of the line. How is is McGovern in Denver at C and Roten at G in Carolina looked so good there and everyone is saying they look so bad here. Because Darnold is really bad handling pressure up the middle and it is making those guys look like it is all their faults when it is mostly Sam's fault.  

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How are we supposed to have any idea what JD is thinking? Odd question.

Eh, we are all just speculating, and what JD thinks is all that matters, anyway. 

It's really the team's fault for being so pathetic not giving us anything remotely constructive to talk about. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Those threads are essentially about what fans think of Darnold (that they want to replace him).  My poll was about what we think Joe D thinks about him.

Sure, but why include TL as part of the poll then?  I think Douglas wants to move on from Darnold regardless of which other QB(s) are added to the roster in 2021.

It makes little sense to keep Darnold around next year and then let him walk as a FA for nothing. 

If the plan is for Darnold not to be the starter in 2021 (I see no scenario where the Jets fail to add any new QB's and allow this to be the case), then he doesn't need to be on the roster in 2021.  Period.

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Can Darnold play through the entire 4th year of his contract for the season and will the team not have to pickup the 5th year option for Sam playing that whole 4th season, at least till the games end?. 

No.  The Jets have to decide on the 5th year option by May 3, 2021.  Prior to the 2021 season being played.  That's a hard deadline.

He cannot play out the season and then have the 5th year tacked on depending on his play.  Thus, he will be a scheduled free agent after 2021, because there's no f**king way Douglas is going to hand him $25M+ in 2022.

If for some reason JD DID decide to hand Darnold the 5th year option on May 3rd, then its time to close up shop, because Douglas is not the guy and this team will never do anything right until the Johnson's die or sell the team.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets have to decide on the 5th year option by May 3, 2021.  Prior to the 2021 season being played.  

I am fine with Fields or Wilson...  am actually lenaing Wilson cos, just cos it goes against the grain and gives us max flexibility in the draft...

not saying i think he will be better than the others...  just that he would be an excellent choice imho

I think Joe is a good GM and has good football IQ. He probably will get Trevor as his pick and will keep sam unless he gets compensation or cant sign him for reasonable contract. I don't see him making a mistake in this situation, he will decide one way or another - and support 1 qb as the franchise either trading away number 1 for resources or keeping it and moving same for resources. .

I sure hope so. I expected Darnold to be rough around the edges when the team drafted him because he was so young and he was being thrown into a bad spot. Unfortunately he never showed much improvement and this year he looks at his worst. He's getting to 2011 Sanchez where play dropped off the cliff with no hope of rebound. Darnold just needs to run into somebody's ass and throw a few more interceptions. 

Some team will pay a reasonable price to take a chance that Darnold could be good but this team was ill equipped to do anything with him. If Lawrence isn't available then take the best QB available.

The only reason to keep Darnold beyond this year is if JD can stock the roster in 2021, walk Darnold at the end of his contract and draft a new starter who can complete a competitive roster. Hope Darnold lands a decent comp pick. 

It’s hard to say about darnold. If there was surety in getting a generational talent like Lawrence then it’s pretty easy to see darnold getting traded. But darnold does have some talent and can be very good.  Give him consistent receivers and a good run game and he suddenly becomes Goff or garapollo or tannehill or even Brady.  The point is darnold can do the job he just can’t win games by himself.

Joe D is 100% done with Sam and as much as it sucks, it’s the right move.  The only consistent things we’ve seen from Sam are 1- inability to improve his decision making 2- inability to read a defense 3- inability to stay on the field. I understand how terrible this organization has been to him but it’s a business and we gotta move on.  He says the right things and it’s easy to root for him but this team is better off going for Lawrence/Fields or maybe Lance based on the rookie deals vs Sam at $25nil+ 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

JD moved on from Sam well before the season started.  

This off-season it was clear Sam was not part of the long-term plans of the NY Jets.

I'm more curious about who our QB will be after Trevor.  It's a little early to think about 2024-2025 but who might be the up-and-coming guys we can target to ruin after we ruin Trevor?  I'm thinking Arch Manning.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm more curious about who our QB will be after Trevor.  It's a little early to think about 2024-2025 but who might be the up-and-coming guys we can target to ruin after we ruin Trevor?  I'm thinking Arch Manning.

You also gotta look out for Benjamin Brady in 2031. Kid is gonna be special. 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I didn't give up on Sam but our GM sure as heck fire did. 

If JD loses his job because TL sucks - whoever the new GM is will give up on Trevor then.

That's the way it works, a GM gets to choose his own QB - if that QB fails, he gets fired and a new GM comes in and picks his own QB.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure, but why include TL as part of the poll then?  I think Douglas wants to move on from Darnold regardless of which other QB(s) are added to the roster in 2021.

It makes little sense to keep Darnold around next year and then let him walk as a FA for nothing. 

If the plan is for Darnold not to be the starter in 2021 (I see no scenario where the Jets fail to add any new QB's and allow this to be the case), then he doesn't need to be on the roster in 2021.  Period.

Because it's one thing to replace your QB for a guy that has the hype that Trevor does ("the next Elway!").  You could understand a team liking their QB but still feeling like they may as well upgrade.  But if we take Trevor out of the equation, and JD still wants to replace Sam, that means he's given up on him.  The answer to that question could end up being a big deal if we don't end up with #1 overall (though, right now, it sure feels like we will).

I know you're one of Sam's biggest critics (and I'm one of his bigger defenders, though I still want Trevor).  I just wanted to see what the forum thought about this in general.

9 hours ago, bitonti said:

The financial reality of Sam Darnold entering year 4 (the year they have to decide on a ludicrous 25 mil 5th year option) means yes JD has always wanted to replace Darnold 

it's obvious but if the poll above is right, 40% of the board does not see this (or perhaps doesn't want to)

the way to build toward a championship is Lamar Jackson style or how Russell Wilson's title. You spend the money at the other spots while keeping the QB contract small. Once you have to give Matt Stafford 100 million dollars it's tougher to win that title. 

200.gif

Also, Darnold sucks balls.

• Upvote 2