The revenge of Le'Veon Bell could be a Jets horror

The revenge of Le’Veon Bell could be a Jets horror

October 28, 2020 | 7:32pm

In a season of one nightmare after another, here comes arguably the biggest one of all for the New York Football Jets:

The Revenge of Le’Veon Bell.

Tank for Trevorites and the legion of long-suffering Jets fans can picture it now:

Le’Veon Bell unleashed and running wild in garbage time of Jets-Chiefs.

Frank Gore, who was Bell’s teammate for all of five games this season, sounded a warning:

“I know he’s gonna be hyped up. He’s supposed to be. He gets an opportunity to show this organization that he still can play. I feel that he still can play. He had great years in this league, and being around him in practice, training camp, he still can play at a high level. And I know he’s gonna want to definitely show it on Sunday. That’s what you’re supposed to do”

It only figures that 2020 would give us a team like the Jets, 0-7 and steamrolling toward 0-16 for the right, no doubt, to be spurned by Trevor Lawrence in 2021.

Sam Darnold will be a bigger underdog Sunday in Kansas City against Patrick Mahomes and the defending champion Chiefs than Joe Namath was in Super Bowl III in Miami against the NFL Baltimore Colts.

And after four yards of offense accumulated in the second half Sunday against the Bills, Darnold won’t be guaranteeing any shock-the-world victory, much less a cover of the 19.5-point spread.

Bell, you may recall, was supposed to be The Straw Who Helped Stir Darnold’s sophomore drink, the horse Darnold would ride on his flight to stardom with the brilliant mind that belonged to Adam Gase.

Enlarge Image  

And Rich Kotite was going to be Leon Hess’ Vince Lombardi.

And Vernon Gholston was going to make Tom Brady desperate enough to leave Bill Belichick in 2008.

And John Idzik was going to be Woody Johnson’s Ozzie Newsome.

Bell’s 17-game Jets career was more Isaiah Crowell than Freeman McNeil or Curtis Martin.

Bell and Gase got along better than, say, IK Enemkpali and Geno Smith, but this was never a marriage made in heaven, more a relationship akin to Brigitte Nielsen and Mark Gastineau.

So Bell Jamal Adamsed his way out of town, albeit much more quietly.

And wouldn’t you know it, he’s wearing his old familiar No. 26, only now he has Andy Reid and Eric Bieniemy calling plays for him, and Mahomes handing him or throwing him the ball.

“[Mahomes is] the best quarterback that I’ve seen. … I haven’t seen him play in person yet, but … it looks like he’s playing at a different speed than everybody else. … It seems like this game is way too easy for him,” Gase said.

There were times with the Steelers when they said similar things about the young Le’Veon Bell.

Gase’s decision to hand the play-calling over to OC Dowell Loggains last week will continue this week, too late for Bell, of course.

Notable Revenge games:

— Brett Favre marched into Lambeau Field with the Vikings in 2009 and threw four touchdown passes to outduel Aaron Rodgers. “Once again, I didn’t have to prove anything,” Favre said. “I’m glad it’s over. I’m not gonna sit here and throw any daggers.”

— Ravens WR Steve Smith vowed there would be “blood and guts everywhere” when he played his former Panthers team, and his seven catches for 139 yards and two touchdowns in 2014 proved it.

Bell will undoubtedly be rapping somewhere and sometime during the week, but he won’t be answering any questions about the Jets, or about anything, for that matter, with visiting media.

The star he brought with him to New York following his one-year sabbatical has been diminished, and now Bell gets a new lease on life and second chance to show the naysayers that he has more left in the tank at age 28 than he showed the past year-and-a-half.

image.gif.8f6822d50d0082790f88367ebb843b3c.gif

If he can’t flourish with this quarterback and these coaches and players, he might as well move on to the recording studio and cut another album.

“I think the offense fits him,” Reid said. “He can see his talents and what he does best show up in this offense.”

There was one occasion last week when Bell, who had 39 yards on six carries against the Broncos, and No. 1 draft RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire both split out wide on a pass to CEH that fell incomplete.

“He’s been working his tail off just trying to learn and make sure he’s got everything down,” Reid said. “He’s picked it up faster than I ever thought guys would pick it up. That position’s a tough position because they have so much responsibility. He’s really dug in and done a nice job with it.”

He reported to Jets training camp a chiseled 210 pounds and in the best shape of his life. Gore would be a big brother and keep him fresh. Then everybody fumbled, including him. Now Le’Veon Bell tries to pick it up and run to daylight again. His Oct. 13 tweet: “got a lot to prove. i’m ready to go.” Ready to go to his first Super Bowl. A Super Sunday against the 0-7 Jets first.

image.gif

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Imagine if he was still on the Steelers.  They might be undefeated.  

? ? ?

I hate saying things like "to his credit he kept his mouth shut while he was here", but people lose sight of the fact that he was a jackass braying his bullsh it alone out in a horse paddock for a year mostly because he couldn't stand the people around him. This Little Piggy cried wee wee wee all the way home. I'm so sick of these guys.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Of course it's easier to run when you are playing with the talent of Kansas City then with the Jets. With Mahomes and his weapons, there will not be  8 men in the box and he will be running against our defense. 

If he performs poorly in KC: "He's toast!"

If he performs well in KC: "Supporting cast!"

We truly do live in a post-facts world.

Call me old school but I judge players by results. Period.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, jgb said:

If he performs poorly in KC: "He's toast!"

If he performs well in KC: "Supporting cast!"

We truly do live in a post-facts world.

Call me old school but I judge players by results. Period.

If you judge players  by strictly results, with no external factors, then Bell isnt that good anymore because he did nothing with the Jets.

• Upvote 1

Seriously folks.... that offense could field half a team and still scorch us without breaking a sweat.  Worrying about Bell sticking it to us as opposed to anyone and everyone else is silly TBH

Plus 0-8 has to be the goal at this point so who cares?

31 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

If you judge players  by strictly results, with no external factors, then Bell isnt that good anymore because he did nothing with the Jets.

I judge by total body of work. Bell has shown elite play so he gets some benefit of doubt. Darnold -- on the other hand -- has shown nothing so gets none.