Which of these 12 Jets Legends would you add to the 2020 in their prime?

Back to the Future?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. If I could go back in time and transport 1 of the following Jets legends back to 2020 and put them on the current team, I would take:

• RB Curtis Martin
    • WR Wesley Walker
    • WR/TE Richard Caster
    • TE Mickey Shuler
    • OL Winston Hill
    • OL Kevin Mawae
    • DL Joe Klecko
    • DL Mark Gastineau
    • DL John Abraham
    • DB Darrelle Revis
    • PK Pat Leahy
    • KR Bruce Harper

Team is so bad most of those players could help. It’s easy to go pass rusher, but if we are really tanking for Trevor and get him Id put Kevin  Mawae In Front  of him for the next ten years. Then we are a guard away from having a trio on the left like Mangold, Fanaca and Brick. Kinda worked pretty sweet last time. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Gastineau. Best pash rusher we ever had.

You could argue Klecko, he had a 20 sack season while playing left DE and actually defending the run.  Just sacks weren't an official stat yet.

I'd go 4-3, and put him at left DE, with Q right next to him.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Team is so bad most of those players could help. It’s easy to go pass rusher, but if we are really tanking for Trevor and get him Id put Kevin  Mawae In Front  of him for the next ten years. Then we are a guard away from having a trio on the left like Mangold, Fanaca and Brick. Kinda worked pretty sweet last time. 

That's be my #2.

I just figured it's harder to find a really good DE then a really good center.  (Klecko > Center)

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, chirorob said:

You could argue Klecko, he had a 20 sack season while playing left DE and actually defending the run.  Just sacks weren't an official stat yet.

I'd go 4-3, and put him at left DE, with Q right next to him.

Was tough picking Mark over Joe, believe me. I would love to see us do this now with

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

That's the crazy thing. On the least-talented team in the league, Macc still couldn't find a lot of starters in the draft.

• Haha 1

I went with Rich Caster. I had a really cool avatar of him on here about a hundred years ago, it's a photo that's really difficult to find. I'll resurrect it sometime soon, seeing as it's probably the only thing about Jets and resurrection in the same sentence that's ever going to happen.

Caster, I still think the Jets are going to win that Raiders game, lol.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

That's the crazy thing. On the least-talented team in the league, Macc still couldn't find a lot of starters in the draft.

Im no football wizard guy but I’m pretty sure you have to find guys that can make it through training camp and dress for games before you can fine starters.,

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I do like the post, and the list.

I'd add in Maynard, or Maynard over Wesley Walker.   No disrespect to Walker, but Maynard is a HOF type player.

Running back, I'd probably add Freeman along with Curtis.   Kind of different players, Freeman was better, but often hurt.   Curtis wasn't as fast or elusive, but was far more durable.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

So, you can go back in time and select 1 of these 12 Jets Legends to bring back to the future and add to the 2020 team in their prime.  Who do you pick?  For the sake of argument, we will exclude QB from the poll.

Is the idea that we'd be able to keep them going forward?  Adding any of these guys in 2020 obviously wouldn't mean anything (certainly not anything good as it could screw up our tank).  We'd also have to factor in how long their prime was.  Revis is the best player in the list but I might go for Mawae because we badly need OL help (especially at C) and he was really good for a long time.  I see Winston Hill was quite a great player too, actually, and I'd love to add him but we already have Becton so a C might be more impactful right now.  (though I'd still love to add Sewell somehow to create a monster line).

Also, would Winston Hill from back then still be as good of a player in today's game?  Not sure if, in your assumptions, we're getting the same quality of player.  Sort of like how "The Hogs" used to be considered huge because they weighed 300 pounds.  (whereas nowadays that line would be considered small).

• Upvote 1

Great poll....because we'd honestly take any of them right now and plug him in as a starter.

For me it came down to WR Wesley Walker (great player, arguably the worst position group on the team), Gastineau or Abraham since the Front 7 is devoid of talent except for QW, or Revis because locking down the opponent's WR1 makes our pass rush appear better and would free up Gregg Williams to really get inventive on D.  I went with Revis.

EDIT:  Mawae and Mangold are two of my favorite Jets but I think going from mediocre/average with McGovern to great with one of those guys doesn't move the needle for the team as much as a Revis, edge rusher or WR would.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I picked Mawae because that type of upgrade at Center changes everything about the offense.  I'm just not sure Mawae > Mangold.  It's close enough to not matter but damn, that's an interesting debate right there.

I think I’d go with mawae too. The guy was motivated. I don’t think he’d get down on playing on a zero win team. He’d just get out there and play.  After that, klecko for many of the same reasons.

• Upvote 1

Since its 2020 we're talking about, f**k defense.  So unfortunately, that ruled out Gastineau and Revis for me, despite how much we need an EDGE and CB.  

So it came down to Walker vs Mawae.  Since elite Centers are typically a little easier to find than elite WR's, I went with Walker.  

• Upvote 2