Patrick Mahomes 'Definitely' Thought Jets Had Interest in Him Before 2017 Draft

BLAKE SCHUSTER OCTOBER 28, 2020

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes (15) looks to pass against the Denver Broncos during a football game, Sunday, Oct. 25, 2020, in Denver. (AP Photo/Jack Dempsey)

Jack Dempsey/Associated Press

Kansas City Chiefs superstar Patrick Mahomes admitted Wednesday he believed the New York Jets were eyeing him before taking safety Jamal Adams with the No. 6 overall pick in 2017.

"I definitely thought there was interest there," Mahomes said ahead of his Week 8 matchup against the 0-7 Jets.

With many in New York already daydreaming about landing Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence in the 2021 NFL draft, the admission by Mahomes gives the fans another reason to groan over the direction of the franchise.

Sunday will mark the first time Mahomes faces the Jets, though he did visit the club ahead of the draft in 2017.

Now an MVP, Super Bowl champion and two-time Pro Bowler, Mahomes has remade Kansas City into the league's model of success while the Jets are searching for their first winning season since 2015. New York can take some solace in knowing the general manager who passed on Mahomes in favor of Adams, Mike Maccagnan, is no longer with the team and many of his decisions are being revisited on the fly.

Perhaps none is more relevant here than the career of Adams. A first-team All-Pro in 2019, Adams was traded to the Seattle Seahawks in July after contract-extension talks broke down.

At the time of the 2017 draft, the Jets had Josh McCown, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg on their quarterback depth chart. The Jets opted not to take a quarterback from that stacked draft class. One year later, however, New York selected Sam Darnold No. 3 overall in 2018—passing on the likes of Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.

New York will get another shot at rectifying the decision to pass on Mahomes in the coming years, however. The team acquired Seattle's first- and third-round picks in the 2021 draft and a first-round pick in 2022. Those types of selections could change the franchise for the foreseeable future. It's just a matter of whether that's for better or worse.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2915607-patrick-mahomes-definitely-thought-jets-had-interest-in-him-before-2017-draft

1 hour ago, SayNoToDMC said:

What a relief it must have been for that young man when we where off the clock

Our fans are actively trying to keep Trevor from coming here. You guys don't think these college players poke around the internet? It all adds up (twitter, Instagram, message boards, reddit) and you're naive if you think it doesn't. We have fans from other teams bashing us all the time. It's worse that our fans do it every single day. This year is gone and we suck - we're trying to grab a generational talent and what people say matters. People think we've been the worst team on the field for a decade, when in fact we're not even close. Why? Because our own fans, the media, and fans of other teams pile on us all the time. It's beyond frustrating. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

the sad thing is many here defended mac over and over and over and over again and it is already happening again with JD-

JD is doing much of what Mac did-classic example JD wasted a pick on a qb that is never going to play here -yes it was a 4 instead of a 2 but criminal none the less with our needs.-I would have much rather had gaberial davis at wr then a qb that will never take the field

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

the sad thing is many here defended mac over and over and over and over again and it is already happening again with JD-

JD is doing much of what Mac did-classic example JD wasted a pick on a qb that is never going to play here -yes it was a 4 instead of a 2 but criminal none the less with our needs.-I would have much rather had gaberial davis at wr then a qb that will never take the field

The good news is JD isn't going to let his drafted QB block him from drafting a QB #1 this year.

• Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, jgb said:

The good news is JD isn't going to let his drafted QB block him from drafting a QB #1 this year.

It will take the jets 40 years to get trevor weapons. jets draft 1-2 good players a year and lose 3-4 players

I am sure if TL had a choice he would MUCH rather be throwing to robby and handing off to bell then throwing to Perriman and handing to gore

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

ohhh. Gotcha. 

Now THAT would be bold. JD telling the media at the bye in two weeks that he has his franchise QB in . . . James Morgan. 

Not sure Macc ever publicly said that about Hack but after that draft lots of reports were saying he thought he had his guy in Hack... a guy that didn't even dress for a single game his rook year (if I remember correctly).

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

Not sure Macc ever said that about Hack but after that draft lots of reports were saying he thought he had his guy in Hack... a guy that didn't even dress for a single game his rook year (if I remember correctly).

Yep. 

I think it was Macc hoping that Hack would win the job in the preseason of year 2 combined with Macc's opinion that the 2018 QB draft class >>>> 2017. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Yep. 

I think it was Macc hoping that Hack would win the job in the preseason of year 2 combined with Macc's opinion that the 2018 QB draft class >>>> 2017. 

Probably true. The sickest part of the Hack saga was a report that O'Brien and the Texans traded ahead of Jets in the 2nd and... didn't take Hack. But that somehow "spooked" Macc into thinking Hack was in high demand and drafting him. Uh... if O'Brien -- the only HC Hack had success with in college -- passes, why exactly do you think that means???

I'd love to find out where Macc is playing poker on Tuesday nights now and get in on that game.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jgb said:

Probably true. The sickest part of the Hack saga was a report that O'Brien and the Texans traded ahead of Jets in the 2nd and... didn't take Hack. But that somehow "spooked" Macc into thinking Hack was in high demand and drafting him. Uh... if O'Brien -- the only HC Hack had success with in college -- passes, why exactly do you think that means???

I'd love to find out where Macc is playing poker on Tuesday nights now and get in on that game.

All of us PSU fans knew that Hack would be a bust. Worst draft night of my Jets fandom, because this was the rare college player who I knew was trash, feared would somehow end up on my team, and then ended up on my team. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

All of us PSU fans knew that Hack would be a bust. Worst draft night of my Jets fandom, because this was the rare college player who I knew was trash, feared would somehow end up on my team, and then ended up on my team. 

This was me on draft night in 2018. I was convinced we would draft Rosen, who I felt was undraftable. Was so relieved when Giants draft Barkley. 

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Agreed, but he can read a defense and make quick decisions - something Sam seems to have gotten beat out of him. 

After he studied and trained under Andy Reid.

And also there’s no comparison with Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce versus our craptacular receivers  who couldn’t get open against Kyle Wilson