The Core

BettyBoop

As we all know, the rest of this dreadful season is about defining the core of this team for Douglas to build around.  I would break down the players as follows:

The Core Core

• Beckton, Q, Mims (hopefully), Maye

Solid Complimentary Pieces

• McGovern, Foley, Davis (hopefully), Hewitt, Crowder, Perine, Fant, V. Smith, Franklin-Myers, Basham, Huff

Unknown

• Zuniga, Clarke, Bryce Hall

Gazed Players (those careers that have been ruined by Adam's Gaze but still may be players)

• Herndon, Griffen

No Idea

• Edoga, Wesco

That's not a lot to build around but at the very least, we need to know more by the end of the season.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

As we all know, the rest of this dreadful season is about defining the core of this team for Douglas to build around.  I would break down the players as follows:

The Core Core

• McGovern, Foley, Davis (hopefully), Hewitt, Crowder, Perine, Fant, V. Smith, Franklin-Myers, Basham, Huff

Unknown

Gazed Players (those careers that have been ruined by Adam's Gaze but still may be players)

• Herndon, Griffen

No Idea

• Edoga, Wesco

That's not a lot to build around but at the very least, we need to know more by the end of the season.

Don't forget Lamar Jackson. Good post. We have a lot to do, but the good news is we have very little left to undo. JD has been focused on that side of this mess for the most part it seems. 

FA- We grab Allen RObinson and Joe Thuney at the top and we are already a different team. We gotta pay some guys to come in. Those two are top talents. 

19 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

The Core Core

Unknown

• Herndon, Griffen

No Idea

• Edoga, Wesco

I note that the name of Mr. Samuel Darnold isn't on your list.

Regards.

Go, Jets!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Torus34 said:

I note that the name of Mr. Samuel Darnold isn't on your list.

Regards.

Go, Jets!

As for Darnold, if we actually get the #1 or #2 pick (Lawrence or Fields), I would only trade Darnold for a 1st or very early 2nd.  At worst, he could be a backup on his rookie deal.  I wanted to include him in the Gazed category because I think Gaze (and Mac and Douglas) has totally ruined him.  I believe he will be a good QB on another team.

48 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

The Core Core

• Beckton, Q, Mims (hopefully), Maye, Captain Morgan, Quinnen Williams. 

Unknown

• Herndon, Griffen

No Idea

• Edoga, Wesco

I fixed it for you. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

As for Darnold, if we actually get the #1 or #2 pick (Lawrence or Fields), I would only trade Darnold for a 1st or very early 2nd.  At worst, he could be a backup on his rookie deal.  I wanted to include him in the Gazed category because I think Gaze (and Mac and Douglas) has totally ruined him.  I believe he will be a good QB on another team.

Hi!

Thanks for taking time to respond to my comment.

Best to you and yours.

Go, Jets!

42 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

You could to that but do you drop Morgan or the other guy they like. Forget his name. You don't keep 4 QB's.

I would hope Darnold gets a 4th/5th compensatory pick, but unless he shines this or next season, even a 5th could be questionable.

3 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

McGovern at center is stealth tanking. McGovern at right guard is a solid complementary player.

In theory.

He played well at C last year. Sometimes a player's work ethic lags after a big payday. McGovern was a 5th round pick. Here is what his career earnings look like on an annual basis:

2016  $713,900

2017  $540,000

2018  $1,075,423 ($445,423 of this was a performance bonus)

2019 $ 2,025,000 (last year of Bronco Contract)

2020 $10,000,000

2021 $8,000,000 (doubt he'll be cut due to dead cap - but he may "play" his way into being cut)

Anyway, he did earn $4.3 million over his first 4 years. Nothing to sneeze at, but he had incentive to work for the big pay day -- the one that sets your family up and where, if you do things right, you don't ever have to work hard again. And he got it. He is making $10,000,000 this season and will very likely make $8,000,000 next season. He "accomplished" his goal. Why bother to work really hard now?

I'm not saying I know this happened with McGovern but his level of play compared to the last two seasons when the next contract was a motivator, makes me suspicious. This might be news to some, but playing in the NFL is a job. If your employer was committed to paying you $18,000,000 over the next two years, how hard would you be willing to work? 

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

The Core Core

Unknown

• Herndon, Griffen

No Idea

• Edoga, Wesco

what about our kicker?

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

The Core Core

Unknown

• Herndon, Griffen

No Idea

• Edoga, Wesco

Edoga is a decent tackle and much of the time looks better than Fant. Chuma should at least be a sold backup if/when we get another RT.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The OP lost me at McGovern being a solid complimentary player. 

His play has been weak this year.  As much as everyone loves to say how bad we are at WR, our interior O line play has been horrendous.  Sam has pressure up the middle on most passing plays and cant step up.  I know this is far from his only issue, but this only contributes to Sams poor play.  We have been spoiled forever with solid Center play from Fields  to Mawae to Mangold.  I dont care who our QB is next year, if you dont upgrade the C position, they will struggle

• Upvote 4

Not sure about maybe. He’s on his contract year so he may walk.  As for the others, unless one or more besides Becton is scary good, then there’s still quite a bit of work to do.  And this is one of the troubling aspects of drafting Lawrence no.1.  Sure the team needs better QBs play but getting a couple of blue chip players instead of drafting Lawrence is also good.  I don’t follow college football but you gotta wonder if there’s another Russell Wilson type to be found in the later rounds.

The idea that Marcus Maye is a core player is insane.  If you think that, you should have just paid Adams.  Maye is moderate starter on the last year of his deal.  You should be hoping he works into the comp pick formula, not looking to build a team around him.

Darnold is only on his rookie deal next year.  I don't know that I'd be looking to keep him around as a backup in 2022 at the price of the 5th year option.  That would probably be something  over $25Million.  I don't know that I want to shell that out for a backup.

I see no particular reason to be pessimistic about Mims, but he is still about as unknown as they come.

All of the "solid complimentary pieces" seem more rotational pieces than starters.  They may belong on an NFL roster, but put 11 guys that level and the field and you will look like sh*t.  We've seen that already.

Herndon seems like Johnny Mitchell without the talent.

• Upvote 1