WhartonJet

Sam Darnold Hypothetical

I think nearly everyone agrees Sam Darnold hasn't been given a fair shake here with the lack of investment in the O-line and playmakers.  He has been inconsistent, made some bonehead decisions, but also flashed and led this same (very bad) team to a 6-2 finish last year.  He is only 23 years old and has been hamstrung by bad coaching and lack of talent since day 1.  At the end of year 3 it would be hard to justify exercising his 5th year option at 20-25 million, especially if we hold the #1 pick and Lawrence is staring us in the face.

But, my question is this - if Darnold and his agent come to Joe Douglas and say:

"We know Sam hasn't played like a $25 million QB, we see you are trying to build things the right way with all of the draft capital, investment in the O-line, and (hopefully) now adding playmakers to the offense.  We know Gase is gone at the end of the year, and Sam wants to be the QB of the Jets.  Take that #1 (or #2) draft pick and trade down for a HAUL.   We are willing to take less money to SHOW Sam can be the man if he had NFL level coaching, O-line and playmakers (all of which we should be able to have by next year given we will fire Gase, have a ton to spend in free agency, and loads of draft capital from Seattle and a trade down from #1 or #2).

So, my question is this - if you are Joe Douglas what is the number for a Sam Darnold contract where you say Yep, its worth the risk of losing Lawrence or Fields to be able to have 6-7 number one picks over the next 2 years and still have Darnold on a reasonable deal.  I think for me, if Sam was willing to take a deal at $15 million per year for another 3-4 years, I would sign up for this right now.  Sam's makes 7.5MM per year right now.

What do you think?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

His weaknesses are the same one’s he had at USC

They likely are hoping Morgan can backup next year 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

I think nearly everyone agrees Sam Darnold hasn't been given a fair shake here with the lack of investment in the O-line and playmakers.  He has been inconsistent, made some bonehead decisions, but also flashed and led this same (very bad) team to a 6-2 finish last year.  He is only 23 years old and has been hamstrung by bad coaching and lack of talent since day 1.  At the end of year 3 it would be hard to justify exercising his 5th year option at 20-25 million, especially if we hold the #1 pick and Lawrence is staring us in the face.

But, my question is this - if Darnold and his agent come to Joe Douglas and say:

"We know Sam hasn't played like a $25 million QB, we see you are trying to build things the right way with all of the draft capital, investment in the O-line, and (hopefully) now adding playmakers to the offense.  We know Gase is gone at the end of the year, and Sam wants to be the QB of the Jets.  Take that #1 (or #2) draft pick and trade down for a HAUL.   We are willing to take less money to SHOW Sam can be the man if he had NFL level coaching, O-line and playmakers (all of which we should be able to have by next year given we will fire Gase, have a ton to spend in free agency, and loads of draft capital from Seattle and a trade down from #1 or #2).

So, my question is this - if you are Joe Douglas what is the number for a Sam Darnold contract where you say Yep, its worth the risk of losing Lawrence or Fields to be able to have 6-7 number one picks over the next 2 years and still have Darnold on a reasonable deal.  I think for me, if Sam was willing to take a deal at $15 million per year for another 3-4 years, I would sign up for this right now.  Sam's makes 7.5MM per year right now.

What do you think?

Is this what you think about when you write Mrs. Darnold in heart bubbles on your notebook in study hall?

• Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Because that's the main problem with Sam Darnold. He's being paid too much.

Lol

Right. 

Basically, Sam is playing badly in his third (usually make or break for QBs) year. Hence, he isn't giving the organization any reason to think he can be the long term QB here, regardless of how much money he is making. 

• Upvote 3

You would have to believe every single issue revolving Darnold’s play this season was because of Adam Gase and playmakers.

That’s not accurate.

Darnold still holds onto the ball forever, he misses wide open receivers, he makes the same mindless decisions, he hasn’t seen the field any better from his rookie season and he continues to throw off his back foot.

So as much as i hate Adam Gase and as much as I understand the situation Darnold is in...its Darnold’s fault too. There has been no real jump in pre-snap/post snap reads or anything that is suppose to get better 31-32 starts into a QB’s career. There has been no reason for JD to agree with Sam’s agent that okay maybe he CAN be better under different circumstances because he’s throwing multiple interceptions per game and not throwing the ball away. 

I’m not listening to any players agent if I’m a GM.

Look at this:

2DF0A12B-4302-44DE-B313-338BE0A9C192.jpeg.29b180137225ac69dd71e508e7ac3018.jpeg

it’s unacceptable.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Is this what you think about when you write Mrs. Darnold in heart bubbles on your notebook in study hall?

Man, tough room lol.

A big reason why folks say we "must" take Lawrence or Fields is so we can "reset" our QB cost and have enough cap to build up the team and make a run during the initial 4 year period where a rookie QB salary is low.

So, this premise is simple.  If we could get Darnold on a reasonable deal over the next 3-4 years, has he shown enough to make that gamble?  Darnold plus 3 additional #1 picks over the next 2 years vs. Lawrence/Fields plus a #2 for trading Darnold.  

It's an interesting premise - one that I'm not sold on myself either way.  But, I do think Darnold can be a franchise QB.  Add in 6-7 #1 picks and we can transform the talent on this team very quickly.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

The way Darnold is playing now, he is definitely not a starting NFL qb at any price. If he continues to look like this, he will be lucky to bounce around as backup/reclamation project for a bit as he is on his way out of the league.

13 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

What do you think?

It's an interesting thought experiment and I can see arguments being made for it. 

Unfortunately, 100% of GMs do not think this way, mainly because their jobs are on the line. 

With that being said, I'm still not convinced we even get the #1 pick, and if we get one of the 2-4 picks, I could easily see JD doing that (for a lesser haul obviously). 

If we do not land Trev, Darnold is our QB next year. I dont get why people think otherwise. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

Man, tough room lol.

A big reason why folks say we "must" take Lawrence or Fields is so we can "reset" our QB cost and have enough cap to build up the team and make a run during the initial 4 year period where a rookie QB salary is low.

So, this premise is simple.  If we could get Darnold on a reasonable deal over the next 3-4 years, has he shown enough to make that gamble?  Darnold plus 3 additional #1 picks over the next 2 years vs. Lawrence/Fields plus a #2 for trading Darnold.  

It's an interesting premise - one that I'm not sold on myself either way.  But, I do think Darnold can be a franchise QB.  Add in 6-7 #1 picks and we can transform the talent on this team very quickly.

I thought Teddy Bridgewater could be a franchise quarterback. Add in a #1 pick and 3 #2s and we could have transformed the talent on this team very quickly. Instead we wasted three years and we still need to start over. More likely than not it will be Lawrence or Fields but even if not it's going to be somebody else who isn't Sam Darnold.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

What do you think?

vet minimum.

jk he sucks.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

"We know Sam hasn't played like a $25 million QB, we see you are trying to build things the right way with all of the draft capital, investment in the O-line, and (hopefully) now adding playmakers to the offense.  We know Gase is gone at the end of the year, and Sam wants to be the QB of the Jets.  Take that #1 (or #2) draft pick and trade down for a HAUL.

action bronson wtf GIF by #ActionAliens

Walking into my bank wearing a Best Buy uniform saying, “Look, why don’t you just hand me five million dollars in cash, yo.”

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Walking into my bank wearing a Best Buy uniform saying, “Look, why don’t you just hand me five million dollars in cash, yo.”

Might want to add this. 

• The mask worn by Deandre Parsons, 18, of Stamford, and the gun found in his possession Tuesday night. Parsons as charged with possession of a facsimile firearm after he was stopped while wearing a ski mask in the South End Tuesday night. Photo: Contributed Photo / Stamford Police / Stamford Advocate Contributed

41 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Might want to add this. 

• The mask worn by Deandre Parsons, 18, of Stamford, and the gun found in his possession Tuesday night. Parsons as charged with possession of a facsimile firearm after he was stopped while wearing a ski mask in the South End Tuesday night. Photo: Contributed Photo / Stamford Police / Stamford Advocate Contributed

Isn’t that the official attire for anyone that the Jets give contracts to?

4 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

What do you think?

If we end up with 3rd pick or worse perhaps i could see this happening.   i think 1 and 2 they will move on no matter what.  if he ends up playing well and getting them 2-3 wins then maybe.  but i think JD is done with him and SD is probably done with the Jets.

What do you think?

I think the points about the talent level of the players around him are valid. I don’t know if that means they’ll move away if they can pick Lawrence. I also think they won’t exercise the fifth option unless it’s a longer term contract with some guaranteed money.  And then there’s the whole issue of what will help this team more; keeping the one pick and trading down for a few blue chip prospects or just using it on Lawrence.  There still quite a bit of time before Lawrence can declare for the draft.

23 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Isn’t that the official attire for anyone that the Jets give contracts to?

Or PSL salesmen/women. 

Man, tough room lol.

If this were ever going to happen it would be for one reason only. The Jets go 4-5 down the stretch of this season. This is the only scenario they do not draft Lawrence or Fields. 

Based-on what we’ve seen of this season- winning more than one- possible two games this year seems very unlikely.

• Upvote 1

Why?  

He's played 3 seasons now, which means with a 5th year option that will be picked up, he's on a backup QB contract anyway.  Why would we sign him further down the line?

If I'm the Jets, I keep Darnold, and I pick Lawrence/Fields.  I let Darnold start the year with a new coach, and see how he does.  If Darnold is great, Lawrence/Fields will fetch a ton of talent anyway in trades, or his trade value goes through the roof.  You would be in a win-win position.  If Darnold sucks, he's only on the roster for 1.5 years while a rookie QB plays, therefore you have Darnold as the back up.  

I don't understand the urgency to move on from Darnold like he's a locker room cancer.   If a deal comes along that is great (say first rd pick), then sure.  Otherwise, it just makes sense to keep him and let him start with a new coach and possibly some weapons.  I hate this idea of throwing QBs to the wolves as soon as they are drafted, and not give them time to actually work on things.  I know Burrow has been excellent, but that team is loaded at the skill positions.  

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

What do you think?

I would tell his agent that Sam has been done a disservice and deserves much more than being a jet. There are teams willing to trade for him so a new scene is best.

I'm still a believer in Sam but you don't pass up a guy touted as "the next Elway".  But I also agree with "win4ever" that we should just keep Sam next year, let him play some and make a decision then.  Was it the Rams who got 2 #1's for Sam Bradford in a preseason trade a couple of years ago?

You tell Sam, thanks for the offer, but the way he's played that playing for free wouldn't be a worthwhile investment for the organization and he should look for a new start.

What do you think?

Good job coming up with an interesting scenario!!!  To me for Darnold
to stay he would have to take a 3 year deal in the 24-27 million range.
That would give Douglas flexibility to fill out the roster and Darnold
to prove he's the "guy" with a filled out roster and a new HC

• Post of the Week 1

What do you think?

Tough one. The 2 college QBs Lawrence or Fields will make less money than the amount you are stating that Darnold would get over that time. So, it then comes down to does JD feel one of the college QBs has much better upside than Darnold to where it is worth giving up all the draft capital you stated. It comes down to me that it seems Darnold cannot handle blitzing so I am not sure unless that can somehow be fixed that it is worth moving forward with him. That limitation is scaring the heck out of me to where no matter what talent is around him he may barely get us to the playoffs and never advance from there. I know we are historically bad right now, but I don't want 1st round playoff exits, I and all of us want to have a team that can beat teams in the playoffs making it where at one point you get to a SB, and you need spot on QB play for that these days. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

What do you think?

Douglas does not want Sam, at any price.  Everything he's done has made that point abundantly clear.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

I'd love to find out how to draw lines on videos to break down a bunch of film for the guys here.. film on exactly why Sam Darnold isn't good. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

You would have to believe every single issue revolving Darnold’s play this season was because of Adam Gase and playmakers.

That’s not accurate.

Darnold still holds onto the ball forever, he misses wide open receivers, he makes the same mindless decisions, he hasn’t seen the field any better from his rookie season and he continues to throw off his back foot.

So as much as i hate Adam Gase and as much as I understand the situation Darnold is in...its Darnold’s fault too. There has been no real jump in pre-snap/post snap reads or anything that is suppose to get better 31-32 starts into a QB’s career. There has been no reason for JD to agree with Sam’s agent that okay maybe he CAN be better under different circumstances because he’s throwing multiple interceptions per game and not throwing the ball away. 

I’m not listening to any players agent if I’m a GM.

Look at this:

2DF0A12B-4302-44DE-B313-338BE0A9C192.jpeg.29b180137225ac69dd71e508e7ac3018.jpeg

it’s unacceptable.

I agree.  Sam is a major part of this and hasn't done anything to prove he is a  true leader.  His mechanics are messed up and he doesn't read defenses very well.  Blow the whole thing up.  Darnold, Douglas and Gase.  The three of them don't work and the negativity that they project is unbearable.  Has there ever been a quarterback drafted as high as Darnold with 0 wins in his 3rd season?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

It doesn’t matter. JD has his own internal evaluation of Darnold and that evaluation will guide his decision making.

11 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

What do you think?

Why would Sam think this is the best place to prove anything sitting behind Lawrence of Fields? He's gone. It makes no logical, economic, or football sense for him to be a NYJ next season.

Once when I was a kid I dreamed about the most amazing ice cream sundae I have ever seen. I was so busy looking at it that I woke up before I got to try it. Time to wake up and accept Sam is never going to happen, at least not here.