Sam Darnold Hypothetical

There's a secondary cost which goes along with the salary of the starting QB. If the team is to win, a back-up QB is also required. The importance of having a good back-up QB is directly proportional to the fragility of the starting QB. You don't need much of a back-up if your starter's an iron man.

Go, Jets!

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Then we wouldn't be in a position to draft his replacement in April.

Now, now. Darnold is a precious little baby who must be protected from such criticisms. Missing wide open WRs is clearly because of poor coaching or unfortuitous moon phases.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Now, now. Darnold is a precious little baby who must be protected from such criticisms. Missing wide open WRs is clearly because of poor coaching or unfortuitous moon phases.

He's been so ruined by lack of weppinzz and Adam Gase (who, strangely, no one on the team seems to have any bad things to say about) that he forgot how to football.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's been so ruined by lack of weppinzz and Adam Gase (who, strangely, no one on the team seems to have any bad things to say about) that he forgot how to football.

Suck is an outlier. Busted plays that result in positive yardage is evidence.

• Haha 1

On 10/30/2020 at 1:31 PM, WhartonJet said:

I think nearly everyone agrees Sam Darnold hasn't been given a fair shake here with the lack of investment in the O-line and playmakers.  He has been inconsistent, made some bonehead decisions, but also flashed and led this same (very bad) team to a 6-2 finish last year.  He is only 23 years old and has been hamstrung by bad coaching and lack of talent since day 1.  At the end of year 3 it would be hard to justify exercising his 5th year option at 20-25 million, especially if we hold the #1 pick and Lawrence is staring us in the face.

But, my question is this - if Darnold and his agent come to Joe Douglas and say:

"We know Sam hasn't played like a $25 million QB, we see you are trying to build things the right way with all of the draft capital, investment in the O-line, and (hopefully) now adding playmakers to the offense.  We know Gase is gone at the end of the year, and Sam wants to be the QB of the Jets.  Take that #1 (or #2) draft pick and trade down for a HAUL.   We are willing to take less money to SHOW Sam can be the man if he had NFL level coaching, O-line and playmakers (all of which we should be able to have by next year given we will fire Gase, have a ton to spend in free agency, and loads of draft capital from Seattle and a trade down from #1 or #2).

So, my question is this - if you are Joe Douglas what is the number for a Sam Darnold contract where you say Yep, its worth the risk of losing Lawrence or Fields to be able to have 6-7 number one picks over the next 2 years and still have Darnold on a reasonable deal.  I think for me, if Sam was willing to take a deal at $15 million per year for another 3-4 years, I would sign up for this right now.  Sam's makes 7.5MM per year right now.

What do you think?

Think think think and think again