Why do I get the sinking feeling Gase is back next year?

I’m about the most pessimistic a Jets fan as they come, but there’s absolutely no way Gase comes back. I would love to get Jim Harbaugh for I feel he would push Lawrence or Fields to their full potential. I just don’t see it happening. My hunch in the end our new coach will either be Bieniemy, Roman, or Lincoln Riley.

• Upvote 4

Said the same thing last week.  Just wait until he is retained and this place goes ballistic.  Anyone doubting this possibility has not looked at the Johnsons's inactions and/or idiotic moves over the years with open eyes.  For some unknown reason, they like Gase and don't give two fuks that he's a terrible HC.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Said the same thing last week.  Just wait until he is retained and this place goes ballistic.  Anyone doubting this possibility has not looked at the Johnsons's inactions and/or idiotic moves over the years with open eyes.  For some unknown reason, they like Gase and don't give two fuks that he's a terrible HC.

I agree with you except for one aspect, Woody is hypersensitive on public opinions. He will fire him.

That "sinking feeling" is actually called "understanding what's going on".  For decades, we've been calling for a Football Man to run this organization, not a billionaire, not some pencil pusher.

With Maccagnan and Glat gone, there is no one in Florham Park even remotely qualified to run the organization from top to bottom. To make all the tough internal decisions.  To call all the football shots.  Elhai is a young attorney, Douglas a young scout.  It's almost as if, hmm, they were hand-picked to be background players to an Alpha's show.

Hello, Adam.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2

12 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I agree with you except for one aspect, Woody is hypersensitive on public opinions. He will fire him.

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Absolutely zero chance Adam Gase is coaching this team in 2021.

You guys don't recall Woody extending Rex , Bowles and Mcc when the fans/media were going insane and the team was a slightly less dumpster fire?  I'm telling you, Gase is our HC next season.

Despite a 5-10 record, the New York Jets have signed coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan to contract extensions, the team announced Friday.

Sources told ESPN that the extensions are for two years each and run through the 2020 season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21910903/new-york-jets-extend-contracts-coach-todd-bowles-gm-mike-maccagnan

Has there ever been an 0-16 or1-15 coach that survived?  Maybe John McKay, maybe Tom Landry, chuck noll, but those were first season records when it’s kind of expected for those teams to be rebuilding or maybe expansion teams.  Gase still has the built in bad personnel excuse. I doubt if Maccagnan, had he stayed, would’ve blown up the team like douglas has done.  The only other way gase stays if he truly hasn’t lost the locker room.

You guys don't recall Woody extending Rex , Bowles and Mcc when the fans/media were going insane and the team was a slightly less dumpster fire?  I'm telling you, Gase is our HC next season.

Despite a 5-10 record, the New York Jets have signed coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan to contract extensions, the team announced Friday.

Sources told ESPN that the extensions are for two years each and run through the 2020 season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21910903/new-york-jets-extend-contracts-coach-todd-bowles-gm-mike-maccagnan

It's not really the same situation at all.

The Jets have cratered, they're the league's punchline, they might not win a single game. They need to sell a new vision, they need to convince Lawrence to come here.

There is simply zero chance Adam Gase will be that guy in 2021. Similar to how the fans essentially demanded Idzik be fired, Gase will be fired. 

If the team goes on a run and wins 5 games in the second half of the season with Darnold looking great -- maybe, maybe he'll be back. But on the current trajectory it is a 100% certainty he'll be gone.

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Has there ever been an 0-16 or1-15 coach that survived?  Maybe John McKay, maybe Tom Landry, chuck noll, but those were first season records when it’s kind of expected for those teams to be rebuilding or maybe expansion teams.  Gase still has the built in bad personnel excuse. I doubt if Maccagnan, had he stayed, would’ve blown up the team like douglas has done.  The only other way gase stays if he truly hasn’t lost the locker room.

Hue Jackson went 1-15, then 0-16, and was still back the following year. 1-31 in two years, brought back the third.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It's not really the same situation at all.

The Jets have cratered, they're the league's punchline, they might not win a single game. They need to sell a new vision, they need to convince Lawrence to come here.

There is simply zero chance Adam Gase will be that guy in 2021. Similar to how the fans essentially demanded Idzik be fired, Gase will be fired. 

If the team goes on a run and wins 5 games in the second half of the season with Darnold looking great -- maybe, maybe he'll be back. But on the current trajectory it is a 100% certainty he'll be gone.

100%?   Again, you are giving Woody and his decision making a pass.  We'll see, I guess.  But right now?  I definitely believe Gase is back.  

Hope you and others are right, not me.  I would love nothing more than to come back here and say I was wrong.  I'll do backflips the day Gase is fired.

8 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If the team goes on a run and wins 5 games in the second half of the season with Darnold looking great -- maybe, maybe he'll be back

Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me no way in hell. 

I will keep a close eye on the real estate market in Chatham N.J and let you know if Adam Gase lists his house or not. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

The girls don't seem to care

Tonight

As long as the mood is right

No static at all

I love them...

I was lead Singer back in College when we did a Cover for this Song......

Here is shout out to my college band..

"A Boy And Its Dog"........ singing some Steely Dan!!

A Boy and His Dog (1975 film) - Wikipedia

I want a name when I lose... 

Thank you for making me Smile!

I Owe You Big Time!

100%?   Again, you are giving Woody and his decision making a pass.  We'll see, I guess.  But right now?  I definitely believe Gase is back.  

Hope you and others are right, not me.  I would love nothing more than to come back here and say I was wrong.  I'll do backflips the day Gase is fired.

If we go 0-16 or 1-15 I personally have 100% certainty Gase will be fired.

This is New York. Woody cares about the headlines, he cares about the perception of the team. 

Adam Gase is toxic. The perception everywhere is that he's a total failure and has ruined Sam Darnold. That perception matters. Honestly, we joke about Lawrence refusing to come here -- the only scenario I see where that actually happens is if Gase is still here. 

The Johnsons want to sell tickets, they want to be relevant. There's simply no possible way they can sell another year of Adam Gase to the fanbase or the media.

Gase is gone.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I know that Chris Johnson is a gut wrenchingly stupid fool but I don't think even he is capable of bringing back Gase after this season and the incredible negative feedback.  The Jets are very fortunate that there are no fans in the stands because it would be very ugly.  If Gase is back next year, there will be violence and mayhem at the stadium.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This is New York. Woody cares about the headlines, he cares about the perception of the team. 

Adam Gase is toxic. The perception everywhere is that he's a total failure and has ruined Sam Darnold. That perception matters. Honestly, we joke about Lawrence refusing to come here -- the only scenario I see where that actually happens is if Gase is still here. 

The Johnsons want to sell tickets, they want to be relevant. There's simply no possible way they can sell another year of Adam Gase to the fanbase or the media.

Gase is gone.

Bingo.

couldn’t agree more 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I've been calling this possibility for over a month now.  I don't know if it's a 30% chance, a 50% or even north of 50%, but it's definitely not insignificant.  A few reasons...

1. Gase hasn't gone off much about how crappy the roster is, the fact that several of the most talented players on the team (Adams, Bell, etc.) have been traded away or released, and that the Jets have been net sellers ever since this summer.  He seems to have mostly played the "good soldier" with the media, isn't criticizing management, the GM, etc. as starters have been pulled off his team every week (McClendon being another recent example).  The reason he seems to be fine with it.....he's in on the plan and he's likely been told by Douglas, "Be patient.  It will be ugly.  We're not talented right now and we've got injuries, and even in that situation I'm going to be taking starters away from you.  But you'll be here next year to benefit from the plan we have."

2. A vocal endorsement from ownership.  Christopher Johnson could have very easily said to the media, "We want to win.  We expect to win.  I have no illusions about the condition of our team right now and the talent upgrade it needs, but we still field 11 guys like our opponents and I expect us to compete."  He could have left it at that.  Instead, he endorses the Head Coach and continues to refer to him as a genius.

3. Replacement options.  From the outside this franchise looks like a complete career killer.  Whether you're a HC, a QB or whoever the evidence shows that you tend to leave this place with worse prospects than you arrived.  The coaching carousel never seems to slow down much over here and there's a track record of shortsightedness and reactionary moves that are a turn off to people.  If you're a decent HC candidate do you really want to come to a place where it looks like a HC was hired, his roster was torn down, his best players traded, and then he was fired because he couldn't win?  Whether Gase is good, bad or somewhere in between it's a really, really bad look when you think about whether the HC here has been supported and given all he needs to try to win.  Similar with a QB, and this is the Trevor risk.  If you appear to be a franchise that degrades the talent (and coaching) around a QB and then gives up on him because he's not playing well you have to ask yourself, "Do I really want to go there?  Do they only want we so that I can save the asses of the owner, the GM and the coach while they penny pinch and trade away contracts?"

Bottom line - Despite rumors of Gase being fired even during the season, I still think there's a chance he doesn't even get fired afterwards.  And, it's not just a small chance.  Couple that with the Johnsons likely disgust with having to pay for 2 more years of a coach that isn't here any more and you get a case for Gase getting a third year.

Great post.

It makes me nauseous, but you make great points.

15 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

1. Gase hasn't gone off much about how crappy the roster is, the fact that several of the most talented players on the team (Adams, Bell, etc.) have been traded away or released, and that the Jets have been net sellers ever since this summer.  He seems to have mostly played the "good soldier" with the media, isn't criticizing management, the GM, etc. as starters have been pulled off his team every week (McClendon being another recent example).  The reason he seems to be fine with it.....he's in on the plan and he's likely been told by Douglas, "Be patient.  It will be ugly.  We're not talented right now and we've got injuries, and even in that situation I'm going to be taking starters away from you.  But you'll be here next year to benefit from the plan we have."

1. A lot of the bad FA moves are clearly moves he pushed for.

2. The highest profile departures featured big "name" players who publicly said he sucks on the way out.

3. Even if he's a dead man walking he's still fighting for his job -- and potentially thinking about his next job. Throwing everyone else under the bus doesn't really help him.

4. Even if he was in on a "tear it down and build it up" approach -- that doesn't mean anyone expected it to be this bad or that he isn't the obvious fall guy for this disaster of a season (I say fall guy, but to be clear he is in fact more to blame than anyone else for what this team is right now.)

2. A vocal endorsement from ownership.  Christopher Johnson could have very easily said to the media, "We want to win.  We expect to win.  I have no illusions about the condition of our team right now and the talent upgrade it needs, but we still field 11 guys like our opponents and I expect us to compete."  He could have left it at that.  Instead, he endorses the Head Coach and continues to refer to him as a genius.

That was what, after Week 1? I haven't heard ringing endorsements from Johnson recently.

And really, Woody strikes me as the one to pull the plug quicker than Christopher. I wouldn't be shocked if Woody didn't relish coming home to clean up little brother's mess.

3. Replacement options.  From the outside this franchise looks like a complete career killer.  Whether you're a HC, a QB or whoever the evidence shows that you tend to leave this place with worse prospects than you arrived.  The coaching carousel never seems to slow down much over here and there's a track record of shortsightedness and reactionary moves that are a turn off to people.  If you're a decent HC candidate do you really want to come to a place where it looks like a HC was hired, his roster was torn down, his best players traded, and then he was fired because he couldn't win?  Whether Gase is good, bad or somewhere in between it's a really, really bad look when you think about whether the HC here has been supported and given all he needs to try to win.  Similar with a QB, and this is the Trevor risk.  If you appear to be a franchise that degrades the talent (and coaching) around a QB and then gives up on him because he's not playing well you have to ask yourself, "Do I really want to go there?  Do they only want we so that I can save the asses of the owner, the GM and the coach while they penny pinch and trade away contracts?"

Here I think you're totally off.

First overall pick, lots of picks including four first rounders in the next two years, Trevor Lawrence, a GM with a good reputation, tons of cap space to remake the roster as you see fit.

This is a great spot for a new coach.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I understand the point, but Bowles was on the moon compared to Gase. 

1) Bowles won 10 games his first year here - that bought him at least an extra year or two of s*cking 

2) Gase is about to go anywhere from 0-16 to 2-14 with a historically bad team, in year 3 of Sam Darnold, the prized QB he was brought here to develop. 

3) Gase is a public pariah and a media punching bag of the highest order. Meanwhile, even during his 3rd consecutive 5-11 year, Bowles had numerous apologists in the media. 

It’s a different world. Bowles was compared to guys like Mangini, Gase is compared to “Kotite” - possibly the most notorious dirty word in Jets history. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Gase is gone.

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I understand the point, but Bowles was on the moon compared to Gase. 

1) Bowles won 10 games his first year here - that bought him at least an extra year or two of s*cking 

2) Gase is about to go anywhere from 0-16 to 2-14 with a historically bad team, in year 3 of Sam Darnold, the prized QB he was brought here to develop. 

3) Gase is a public pariah and a media punching bag of the highest order. Meanwhile, even during his 3rd consecutive 5-11 year, Bowles had numerous apologists in the media. 

It’s a different world. Bowles was compared to guys like Mangini, Gase is compared to “Kotite” - possibly the most notorious dirty word in Jets history. 

tenor.gif?itemid=10168634

• Haha 1