Mock Draft

JXN_JET

Hello, thanks for checking out my mock draft. 

First off, I am a huge fan of Justin Fields. I get a Dak Prescott vibes watching him play. He isn't gonna run the ball like Vick or Jackson, but the threat is always there which could be dangerous with the correct head coach. So with that in mind, I decided to trade down with the Jags. We get in return two 2021 first round picks (3,25), two 2021 second round picks (35,38), and their 2022 first round pick.

At pick number 25, I have us selecting Texas OT Sam Cosmi. Listed at 6'7" and weighing 309 we could solidify our tackle positions for years to come. He currently is a LT so there would need to be some decision on who moves to RT, Becton or Cosmi.

At 29, we pick up Florida TE Kyle Pitts. This dude is an absolute stud and would be a great check down option for our rookie QB. I'm not sure he's there at 29 in the real draft.

At 33, we get to pick the best RB in this years draft. Clemson RB Travis Etienne is an electric runner and a good pass blocker according to Mr. Greenbean. 

At 35, we select our first WR prospect Chris Olave. At 6'1" 187 pounds, he will need to bulk up a little in the NFL but I think he could be an great addition to the WR room and he already has familiarity with our rookie QB having played at Ohio State together.

At 38, we take our first of only 3 defensive players this draft, Stanford CB Paulson Adebo. I feel like this position will need to be addressed in the next two drafts. At 6'1 192, he should be able to come in and compete for the starting job immediately. 

At 65 and 92, we go back to back interior o-line. I don't know much about either but there always seems to be great interior guys selected in round three. Another upside is that Myers played with Fields at OSU.

At 96, we take Schwartz a WR from Auburn. At 6'1" 179 pounds, he is a burner having set the Boy's world youth best of 10.15 seconds over 100 meters in 2017. 

At 128, we take Miss State MLB Erroll Thompson. I selected Thompson for two reasons. I think we let Williamson go at the end of the season so we could potentially add a body along with Cashman, Hewitt, and Mosley. I'm also a graduate of Miss State and I've been able to see him play and think he could grow to be a legit starter with the right coaching. He will need to drop some pounds and get into a little better shape.

Justyn Ross (Clemson WR) fell to me at 129 and I just couldn't pass him up here. Now in the real world, I'm not sure if he comes out this year, and even if he did, I'd doubt he'd fall this low but a man could dream.

With our last pick, I reached for Josh Jobe CB out of Alabama. I have seen him struggle some in the games I watch but I think he is a decent player. At 160, your drafting a project player anyways, why not see if he can be someone who could play opposite of Adebo. 

Few final things, I would have loved to drafted an edge rusher but could not find one that I liked past pick number 35. Let me know what you think overall and what you would end up changing. I would have liked to give better explanations for my picks but I'm doing this on my lunch break and did not want it to be too long.

Screenshot 2020-10-30 131203.png

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

While I like the premise here, what's the guarantee that Fields isn't picked second?  I think the trade down most likely will be from 1-2, rather than 1-3 because someone will trade up to 2 for Fields, if we're sitting at 3.  Otherwise, I like this approach.  If say Jacksonville was at 2, and they wanted this trade.  I think the only way we trade out of the top 2 is either if we love Lance/Wilson or we traded for a veteran QB.  

I love Lawrence/Fields, so it really depends on the coach.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Nice. The C pick up is very big. 

At 29, if he was available, id have gone with Patrick Jones II PItt olb/edge instead of Pitts. 

love the Enroll Thompson pick. The young D line is in place, we need young ILBs to put behind them.

The center pickup is big but I don’t see anyway that Myers lasts that long.

He’s probably going to challenge Humphrey as the first center selected.

In all likelihood he’s a Top 35 pick with a chance to go in the Top 20.

53 minutes ago, win4ever said:

While I like the premise here, what's the guarantee that Fields isn't picked second?  I think the trade down most likely will be from 1-2, rather than 1-3 because someone will trade up to 2 for Fields, if we're sitting at 3.  Otherwise, I like this approach.  If say Jacksonville was at 2, and they wanted this trade.  I think the only way we trade out of the top 2 is either if we love Lance/Wilson or we traded for a veteran QB.  

I love Lawrence/Fields, so it really depends on the coach.  

Yea so when I was doing the draft, the computer had the Giants going number 2 and picking Sewell. When the real draft comes around, I don't see the Giants having the same number of wins when compared to the Jets/Jags. Its possible, but that division is horrible and the Giants should at least win a couple. But to your point, I would not trade down unless the Jags are there at two and you could get Fields. Wouldn't risk it at three unless JD is ok with riding with Sam for another season.

30 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The center pickup is big but I don’t see anyway that Myers lasts that long.

He’s probably going to challenge Humphrey as the first center selected.

In all likelihood he’s a Top 35 pick with a chance to go in the Top 20.

Yep, did some more digging after work and WalterFootball has him listed as the number 2 C going in rounds 2-4. Oddly enough, he has Creed Humphrey listed as his number 6 C going in rounds 3-5. I think the computer had him going in the first haha. He list Trey Hill as his number one C. 

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Nice. The C pick up is very big. 

At 29, if he was available, id have gone with Patrick Jones II PItt olb/edge instead of Pitts. 

love the Enroll Thompson pick. The young D line is in place, we need young ILBs to put behind them.

Yea C is nice but unrealistic that he's there at 92. I could see an edge instead of Pitts. Pitts is great but Herndon looked good at times last year and maybe could flourish once Gase is gone like other players have. I could see them holding off of a TE this draft. Our linebackers are not a huge red flag as of right now, but I would love to see if we could address it late in this draft so it doesn't become a problem when Mosley leaves us in a couple of seasons.

10 minutes ago, JXN_JET said:

I guess that would depend on who the coach would want. Maybe let Justin Fields have it from the start or maybe pick up someone like Tyrod Taylor so we could ease Fields in towards the middle of the season.

TL and JF go 1-2 so if the NY Jets pick 3 who is our QB. 

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

TL and JF go 1-2 so if the NY Jets pick 3 who is our QB. 

Oh I got you, didn't understand your question. Yea at that point I think you would have to keep Darnold and hope he can turn things around in 2021. If he can't, you should still be drafting in the top 10 and have some capital to move up if need be. That is what I would do. Now other possibilities are trading down again in this draft to like 8-9 and taking Lance or the QB from Utah people like. Lance worries me some but what we could add by trading down again to 8, we should be able to give him a great oline and plenty of weapons. Or we could do the FA route but there are none I'd like unless Dallas lets Dak go but that isn't going to happen.

Wow, love it, absolutely outstanding. The entire draft is brilliant.  Love the late flyer on Ross.   I mean, just beautifully executed, if the rookies this year all hit, you've pretty much revamped the entire offense.

The first 5 picks would be orgasmic.  Legit, couldnt ask for a better draft.  If this happened, I'd find you.  Where ever you and we would make sweet passionate love in celebration of this draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I really do not see how Fields would drop to #3. I do believe that by the time the draft arrives about 20 to 25% of the scouts will prefer Justin Fields because, in their view, he does not rely on his athletic ability and is more cerebral than Lawrence in his approach.

I came up with this, drafting first overall (clearly the simulator is not functioning optimally.

1. Trevor Lawrence QB Clemson
29. Chris Olave WR Ohio State
33. Travis Etienne RB Clemson
65. Seth Williams WR Auburn
92. Jack Anderson OG Texas Tech
96. Alec Lindstrom OC Boston College
128. Erroll Thompson ILB Mississippi State
130. Dimitri Moore ILB Vanderbilt
149. Shaun Jolly CB Appalachian State

• Upvote 1

And if Darnold wasn't totally screwing us by regressing, this is the supporting cast he could have if JD had the freedom to pull the trigger on a blockbuster with Jax and have the ammunition to continue to trade back for more picks. Even Darnold's worst detractors would have to admit that he would look better surrounded by Mims, Chase, Olave, Ross, Ettiene and Perrine as his playmakers and a new interior O line. And hopefully after the Eagles release Ertz as expect, the Jets can sign him. Plus, there was enough ammo to rebuild the entire LB corps and add depth at CB and C, and we added picks in each of the first 4 rounds in 2022. Hmmmm, those 3 first round picks (Jets, Jax and Hou) could even be enough to land a QB if Sam doesn't look like he can do it with a better supporting cast and coach.

And this is why so many HOPE that Sam can be the QB of the future while still losing into the first overall pick, because it becomes an almost instantaneous rebuild.

3. Ja'Marr Chase WR LSU
25. Trey Smith OG Tennessee
29. Travis Etienne RB Clemson
33. Chris Olave WR Ohio State
35. Carlos Basham Jr. EDGE Wake Forest
65. Josh Myers OC Ohio State
92. Erroll Thompson ILB Mississippi State
97. Kuony Deng ILB California
109. Jack Anderson OG Texas Tech
114. Ronnie Perkins EDGE Oklahoma
116. Monty Rice OLB Georgia
126. Justyn Ross WR Clemson
129. Ambry Thomas CB Michigan
152. Charles Snowden LB Virginia
158. T.J. Carter CB Memphis
180. Michael Saffell OC California
2022 JAX 1st
2022 HOU 2nd
2022 CHI 3rd
2022 DET 4th

34 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I really do not see how Fields would drop to #3. I do believe that by the time the draft arrives about 20 to 25% of the scouts will prefer Justin Fields because, in their view, he does not rely on his athletic ability and is more cerebral than Lawrence in his approach.

I came up with this, drafting first overall (clearly the simulator is not functioning optimally.

1. Trevor Lawrence QB Clemson
29. Chris Olave WR Ohio State
33. Travis Etienne RB Clemson
65. Seth Williams WR Auburn
92. Jack Anderson OG Texas Tech
96. Alec Lindstrom OC Boston College
128. Erroll Thompson ILB Mississippi State
130. Dimitri Moore ILB Vanderbilt
149. Shaun Jolly CB Appalachian State

Pretty sexy too.  3 of my favorite skill players to pair with Lawrence...

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

And if Darnold wasn't totally screwing us by regressing, this is the supporting cast he could have if JD had the freedom to pull the trigger on a blockbuster with Jax and have the ammunition to continue to trade back for more picks. Even Darnold's worst detractors would have to admit that he would look better surrounded by Mims, Chase, Olave, Ross, Ettiene and Perrine as his playmakers and a new interior O line. And hopefully after the Eagles release Ertz as expect, the Jets can sign him. Plus, there was enough ammo to rebuild the entire LB corps and add depth at CB and C, and we added picks in each of the first 4 rounds in 2022. Hmmmm, those 3 first round picks (Jets, Jax and Hou) could even be enough to land a QB if Sam doesn't look like he can do it with a better supporting cast and coach.

And this is why so many HOPE that Sam can be the QB of the future while still losing into the first overall pick, because it becomes an almost instantaneous rebuild.

3. Ja'Marr Chase WR LSU
25. Trey Smith OG Tennessee
29. Travis Etienne RB Clemson
33. Chris Olave WR Ohio State
35. Carlos Basham Jr. EDGE Wake Forest
65. Josh Myers OC Ohio State
92. Erroll Thompson ILB Mississippi State
97. Kuony Deng ILB California
109. Jack Anderson OG Texas Tech
114. Ronnie Perkins EDGE Oklahoma
116. Monty Rice OLB Georgia
126. Justyn Ross WR Clemson
129. Ambry Thomas CB Michigan
152. Charles Snowden LB Virginia
158. T.J. Carter CB Memphis
180. Michael Saffell OC California
2022 JAX 1st
2022 HOU 2nd
2022 CHI 3rd
2022 DET 4th

If I had any confidence in Sam Darnold, I'd be on board but he's ******* garbage, straight up.  We have to move on.

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

If I had any confidence in Sam Darnold, I'd be on board but he's ******* garbage, straight up.  We have to move on.

One question to ponder.

Put Darnold on a team with a much better roster, and an actual professional coaching staff.  Say PIT.  Would he still be garbage or could he potentially become Phillip Rivers / Eli Manning.  Because if you think that's a possibility, then it's an option to consider. 

At this time, I'd go with the QB, but if we end up drafting in the 3-spot, I might consider just drafting players rather than blowing all our picks to move up.  Worst case, build a good team to bring a QB into the following year.

28 minutes ago, nycdan said:

One question to ponder.

Put Darnold on a team with a much better roster, and an actual professional coaching staff.  Say PIT.  Would he still be garbage or could he potentially become Phillip Rivers / Eli Manning.  Because if you think that's a possibility, then it's an option to consider. 

At this time, I'd go with the QB, but if we end up drafting in the 3-spot, I might consider just drafting players rather than blowing all our picks to move up.  Worst case, build a good team to bring a QB into the following year.

He'd still be awful. 

34 minutes ago, nycdan said:

One question to ponder.

He's not good, like, at all.  He's easily the worst starter in the NFL and I'm not sure he even has competition.  Maybe he's serviceable on a better team, I'm sure he'd look better, I guess but ultimately, he's a mega bust and there is no changing that IMO.  

On 10/30/2020 at 2:55 PM, JXN_JET said:

Hello, thanks for checking out my mock draft. 

First off, I am a huge fan of Justin Fields. I get a Dak Prescott vibes watching him play. He isn't gonna run the ball like Vick or Jackson, but the threat is always there which could be dangerous with the correct head coach. So with that in mind, I decided to trade down with the Jags. We get in return two 2021 first round picks (3,25), two 2021 second round picks (35,38), and their 2022 first round pick.

At pick number 25, I have us selecting Texas OT Sam Cosmi. Listed at 6'7" and weighing 309 we could solidify our tackle positions for years to come. He currently is a LT so there would need to be some decision on who moves to RT, Becton or Cosmi.

At 29, we pick up Florida TE Kyle Pitts. This dude is an absolute stud and would be a great check down option for our rookie QB. I'm not sure he's there at 29 in the real draft.

At 33, we get to pick the best RB in this years draft. Clemson RB Travis Etienne is an electric runner and a good pass blocker according to Mr. Greenbean. 

At 35, we select our first WR prospect Chris Olave. At 6'1" 187 pounds, he will need to bulk up a little in the NFL but I think he could be an great addition to the WR room and he already has familiarity with our rookie QB having played at Ohio State together.

At 38, we take our first of only 3 defensive players this draft, Stanford CB Paulson Adebo. I feel like this position will need to be addressed in the next two drafts. At 6'1 192, he should be able to come in and compete for the starting job immediately. 

At 65 and 92, we go back to back interior o-line. I don't know much about either but there always seems to be great interior guys selected in round three. Another upside is that Myers played with Fields at OSU.

At 96, we take Schwartz a WR from Auburn. At 6'1" 179 pounds, he is a burner having set the Boy's world youth best of 10.15 seconds over 100 meters in 2017. 

At 128, we take Miss State MLB Erroll Thompson. I selected Thompson for two reasons. I think we let Williamson go at the end of the season so we could potentially add a body along with Cashman, Hewitt, and Mosley. I'm also a graduate of Miss State and I've been able to see him play and think he could grow to be a legit starter with the right coaching. He will need to drop some pounds and get into a little better shape.

Justyn Ross (Clemson WR) fell to me at 129 and I just couldn't pass him up here. Now in the real world, I'm not sure if he comes out this year, and even if he did, I'd doubt he'd fall this low but a man could dream.

With our last pick, I reached for Josh Jobe CB out of Alabama. I have seen him struggle some in the games I watch but I think he is a decent player. At 160, your drafting a project player anyways, why not see if he can be someone who could play opposite of Adebo. 

Few final things, I would have loved to drafted an edge rusher but could not find one that I liked past pick number 35. Let me know what you think overall and what you would end up changing. I would have liked to give better explanations for my picks but I'm doing this on my lunch break and did not want it to be too long.

Screenshot 2020-10-30 131203.png

This would definitely be the argument to go with Fields over Lawrence -- the extra picks if you think they're close as prospects. 

Another reason to be in the driver's seat of the #1 pick.

While this draft/scenario would be amazing for the Jets im not sure how realistic it is.

First off, what precedent are we using to get such a haul from a team and all we are doing is moving from 1-3? If a team is picking first and doesn't need a QB they can essentially negotiate with every team that does and get a real haul. In this scenario, our only trade down partner would be jacksonville, who would know that, and I feel the price would come down substantially from what the OP listed, and I dont think thats a bad thing.

If Lawerence doesnt really want to be in NY and JD likes fields, then Jacksonville likely would part with 3 and 25 to make that move and everyone is happy.  Them giving up multiple firsts and seconds to move 2 spots just seems like a lot to me.

The second issue is that it kind of assumes JD is the only GM who likes Fields.  If fields is worth of a top 3 selection for the Jets, he also is for Jacksonville, so they would negotiate as if they too were happy sitting at 3 and taking Fields.  

As a side note, I think Zach Wilson of BYU winds up in the first round as well making it 4 QBs instead of 3.