Why hasn’t Gase utilized Darnold’s strengths in this Offense

12 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

So he hasn’t shown ELITE ability to throw on run?? Like the rollout to Crowder against Baltimore last year. The ridiculous scramble and toss against Bills as a rookie? The scramble and Lob to griffen against Washington last year. The 46 yard gash against Denver this year.
might slow down the overload blitz/pressure  over center and up the middle no?

I'm with you.  I think the hatred for Sam is way over the top.  I think it's going to be a case of only knowing what you had after it was gone.  (Cue the sarcastic responses).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jetlaw said:

I’m sick and tired of all these threads making excuses for Sam Darnold. Was it Gase’s fault Sam lead the nation in turnovers his last year at usc? Was it gase’s fault Sam sucked his rookie year under Todd Bowles? Let’s face facts Jets fans, Sam Darnold is a complete bust. He has consistently made bad decisions with the football for 4 years in a row. He is what he is at this point. A bad qb.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He’s playing in his 3rd year now actually 

14 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

Like when the team went 6-2 last year. After the team hit rock bottom last year and player and coach agreed to do some things differently? Where is that play calling and play making?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Did the Jets become a power running team with 37 year old Frank the Tank Gore??

Basically, the oline put a string of good games together.  It also helped that griffin held onto the ball.

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

1.  The Jets have the worst roster in the NFL and it's been injured beyond recognition.

2.  The Jets are tanking.

SAR I

Still doesn't explain why they are not taking advantage of Darnolds ability to improvise and sustain plays with his mobility.  If for no other reason than to raise his trade value.  

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Stark said:

Because gase is an awful HC and a bad OC that only gets any recognition because Peyton Manning ran an offensive juggernaut that gase somehow gets credit for. Every single person with half a brain could see that Manning was the anomaly for A Gase lead offense. 

Unfortunately our two owners share half a brain between them. I hear Woody’s coming back regardless of election outcome because he found the language gap in the UK too challenging to deal with 

• Haha 1

The honest answer is that the things Darnold is best at -- throwing on the run, making plays when the play breaks down, throwing to a spot -- aren't really things you can build an offense around.

He doesn't have any elite physical attributes. Average arm, below average deep ball, solid intermediate accuracy, average athleticism, poor decision making, below average processing speed. How do you "build an offense" around that?

Gase sucks and I definitely think he could tailor the offense better to the talents of his players, Darnold included -- but with Darnold that feels more like simplifying things and asking him to do less rather than "playing to his strengths." Sure they could roll him out more, but are you gonna build an NFL offense around bootlegs?

The reality is that the things Darnold does best -- jaw dropping scramble throws -- also stem from some of his tendencies that lead to sacks and picks when he holds onto the ball forever and attempts tough throws.

More and more it just seems like he doesn't have it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, CTM said:

I'm familiar with the programme. Gase sucking and poor roster are the only threads if hope they have left that Darnold is actually a good QB

Thing is, when Darnold has been out injured or sick, the offense is just as bad or, in most cases, considerably worse.  It may be that he's just not very good, but we'll always wonder what could have been if he had more than just a slot receiver, a 37 year old running back and a porous oline.  This team sucks out loud and it may be Darnold is part of the problem, or it may be that Joe Montana couldn't get this engine running.

4 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Thing is, when Darnold has been out injured or sick, the offense is just as bad or, in most cases, considerably worse.  It may be that he's just not very good, but we'll always wonder what could have been if he had more than just a slot receiver, a 37 year old running back and a porous oline.  This team sucks out loud and it may be Darnold is part of the problem, or it may be that Joe Montana couldn't get this engine running.

Because the offense sucks worse with Fales or 90-year-old Flacco is not an argument that Darnold is good

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, CTM said:

Near as I can tell Darnolds greatest strength is inspiring misguided confidnece in his abilities from middle aged men. This thread is evidence that Gase continues to utilize that strength 

Who would have thought that after all these years, 1) we’d still be doing this and 2) the one that started it all, the noodle, would be the best QB of any of them?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Who would have thought that after all these years, 1) we’d still be doing this and 2) the one that started it all, the noodle, would be the best QB of any of them?

Lol, spot on. 15 year merry go round. Looking forward to the Lawrance wars of 2024

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Still doesn't explain why they are not taking advantage of Darnolds ability to improvise and sustain plays with his mobility.  If for no other reason than to raise his trade value.  

So this is your "big surprise" for opposing defensive coordinators?

That a team without a running back and without wide receivers or tight ends and a quarterback made of egg is going to (wait for it) let their quarterback run around?  LOL.

This isn't Madden.  Grown up professional defensive coordinators aren't allowing Darnold to run even if he weren't made of glass.  The team has no offense.  Not because of coaching.  But because of roster.

SAR I

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

this "ability"is so massively overrated it isnt funny.

see ALL broken plays and see BROKEN PLAYS SUCCESSFUL and the ratio is like 25 to 1

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm with you.  I think the hatred for Sam is way over the top.  I think it's going to be a case of only knowing what you had after it was gone.  (Cue the sarcastic responses).

Thinking Sam is a not a good football quarterback isn't the same as hating him.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

So he hasn’t shown ELITE ability to throw on run??

Elite?  Hell no.  He had several opportunities to throw on the run this year and sh*t the bed on basically all of them.  Remember when he got tackled out of bounds on the rollout against the Bills?  Remember when he tossed it into double coverage on the run against the Colts?

Rollouts cut the field in half and make the job easier on a defense that's not bottom tier.  They're not a sustainable method for Darnold to have success in the NFL in the long run.  

Make throws from the pocket.  Get the ball out quickly.  Or run for first downs.  Otherwise GTFO.  This other "backyard ball" sh*t that Darnold is supposedly great at doesn't work in the NFL.  

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

At his best, Darnold was still a below average QB compared to QB's league-wide.  And it required him facing some of the weakest defenses in the league to perform even at that level.

We never had anything but hopes and dreams.  And meanwhile Darnold will be out of the league by the time he is 28-29.

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yet you've made up your mind that Darnold is no good (after saying in preseason he was possibly the 2nd best QB in the conference).  Plus you even waffled on that during this season.

At least he's willing to change one opinion based on overwhelming evidence... gives me hope for his take on Gase.

2 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

The offense was slightly worse under Flacco.  So Darnold is definitely better than Luke Falk and slightly better than 35 year old Joe Flacco, who clearly didn't want to be on the field.  Awesome!

You'll also recall that Josh McCown put up very similar numbers as Darnold while playing under Jeremy Bates, with a similarly talent-poor roster and offense.  So Darnold is about as good as Josh McCown was at the age of 39.  

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Josh McCown put up very similar numbers as Darnold while playing under Jeremy Bates, with a similarly talent-poor roster and offense.  So Darnold is about as good as Josh McCown was at the age of 39

good try but McClown was better

not actually close . how bust is that? mamma mia

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCoJo01.htm

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Because the offense sucks worse with Fales or 90-year-old Flacco is not an argument that Darnold is good

Agreed.  I wasn't making that argument.  But I think Darnold leaves the Jets and pulls a Tannehill somewhere else.  Because it would be too Jetsy not to have a player leave and suddenly be way more successful. 

25 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Agreed.  I wasn't making that argument.  But I think Darnold leaves the Jets and pulls a Tannehill somewhere else.  Because it would be too Jetsy not to have a player leave and suddenly be way more successful. 

Agree on the Jetsy part. But I wouldn't worry too much about it. Tannehill showed a helluva lot more than Darnold before going to Tenn.

Funny how the narrative went from MIA weapons suck to Fitz is doing well because of MIA's explosive weapons after Gase left. That's the bigger issue.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yet you've made up your mind that Darnold is no good (after saying in preseason he was possibly the 2nd best QB in the conference).  Plus you even waffled on that during this season.

Darnold making mistakes that should have been corrected in high school.

Gase trying his best to win with a bad roster.

Darnold in complete control of his own decisions.

Gase a victim of the decisions of others.

SAR I

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The honest answer is that the things Darnold is best at -- throwing on the run, making plays when the play breaks down, throwing to a spot -- aren't really things you can build an offense around.

He doesn't have any elite physical attributes. Average arm, below average deep ball, solid intermediate accuracy, average athleticism, poor decision making, below average processing speed. How do you "build an offense" around that?

Gase sucks and I definitely think he could tailor the offense better to the talents of his players, Darnold included -- but with Darnold that feels more like simplifying things and asking him to do less rather than "playing to his strengths." Sure they could roll him out more, but are you gonna build an NFL offense around bootlegs?

The reality is that the things Darnold does best -- jaw dropping scramble throws -- also stem from some of his tendencies that lead to sacks and picks when he holds onto the ball forever and attempts tough throws.

More and more it just seems like he doesn't have it.

Oh I don't maybe an offense built off our pro bowl RB before shipping him off and simple quick throws.. how about use some motion and extra protection to let him pass...how about a scheme that has plays drawn up past the line of scrimmage...

We don't have strengths? That's an ignorant statement. We have plenty...but Gase is unable to gameplan for that because he is a bad coach. 

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

So this is your "big surprise" for opposing defensive coordinators?

That a team without a running back and without wide receivers or tight ends and a quarterback made of egg is going to (wait for it) let their quarterback run around?  LOL.

This isn't Madden.  Grown up professional defensive coordinators aren't allowing Darnold to run even if he weren't made of glass.  The team has no offense.  Not because of coaching.  But because of roster.

SAR I

Why show up to play then?? Geezuz 

you do understand the concept of COMPETING???? 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Darnold making mistakes that should have been corrected in high school.

Gase trying his best to win with a bad roster.

Darnold in complete control of his own decisions.

Gase a victim of the decisions of others.

SAR I

Yes, hiring him to be head coach.

3 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

Why show up to play then?? Geezuz 

you do understand the concept of COMPETING???? 

This team can’t compete.  That’s the entire point.  

The Jets are undertaking the biggest reboot in the NFL.  It means what paltry talent we had pre-injuries has been exacerbated by opt-outs and trades.  

This isn’t an unexpected collapse under a bad head coach; it is an orchestrated attempt at the fastest rebuild in NFL history.  You shouldn’t be depressed.  You should be thrilled.  

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

Gase loves horizontal pass plays.  Lots of screens, designed throws to slant routes (even when the defense isn’t in zone) - he’s soooo clever

on the Thursday night game Aikman was basically laughing at Gase’s refusal to call any vertical pass plays down the field - and when he did the results were usually positive like a 40 yard DPI

17 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Oh I don't maybe an offense built off our pro bowl RB before shipping him off and simple quick throws.. how about use some motion and extra protection to let him pass...how about a scheme that has plays drawn up past the line of scrimmage...

We don't have strengths? That's an ignorant statement. We have plenty...but Gase is unable to gameplan for that because he is a bad coach. 

It's not about "we." It's about Darnold. Read the thread... And my post, where I explicitly say there are things Gase could do to build the offense better around our talent. I think he's the worst coach in the league.