Sign in to follow this  
Bull

So let’s talk Fields for a second

Let me know your thoughts if you would be happy with Fields?  Everyone is so infatuated with Lawrence but the better odds are we have a shot at drafting Fields since anything can happen in the last half of the season....cough....2019.  

Do you take Fields if you have 1.02 or do you build around Darnold?

• Upvote 1

Get rid of Darnold and Gase is priority #1. Don't worry about the draft at this time. 

The game I saw him under the most pressure in he did not play well at all. Sure he's going to put up gaudy college numbers, they all do, does he have what it takes when under pressure does he constantly face a rush where you have to get the ball out in under 3 seconds ? 

When comparing the 2 QB's Fields and Lawrence I have seen Lawrence play under pressure much more than Fields. Since that's all we have to go on I give the edge to Lawrence. In the game they went head to head Fields made some poor decisions and it all comes down to decisions in the NFL. 

Both guys are extremely talented but we have all seen where talent gets you in the NFL . 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Confused 1
  • Post of the Week 1

As poorly as Darnold has played this year, I would have to take Fields 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

Anyone who is supposed to be good has a chance at being better than what we have. So with that said, if Trevor doesn't come here if we have the #1 pick he is a fool. If Fields is #2, take him. 

I don't know enough about Fields (or Lawrence for that matter) to say who is better and if either would be a 5% or 50% improvement over Darnold.  We can only hope that someone like Joe Douglas and his team do know that answer.  What I do firmly believe is that this organization still isn't setup to receive, develop and make successful a talented young rookie QB.  Everything from the OLine to the Wide Receivers to the coaching staff still needs to be upgraded or the next QB will likely look like the current one.

If a guy like Lawrence or Fields is an upgrade over what we have then you take him without hesitation.  But ideally, this team would spend another year upgrading the roster and the coaching infrastructure so that it can actually make use of a talented new QB and not ruin him.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

I’m curious what game you’re talking about.  The semi-finals as a Sophomore when he threw 2 ints against Clemson? Cause he still passed for 320 yards in that game with a 65% completion rate, and still only lost by 6 pts. 

Or, are you referring to his other game where he threw 1 int., cause he’s only thrown the 3 total in his college career. 

His comp. pct. has only dipped below 60% three times, and in all of those games OSU won by more than 30 pts, and he still averaged 220 yds and 3 TDs... per (“bad”) game. 

In his first and only appearance so far this year (Junior) he completed 20 out of 21 passes. 

Yeah, I’ll say he’s extremely talented!

WOW! I didn’t know that, he is being overlooked big time, I smell 2012 draft Luck, Wilson all over again

4 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

I’m curious what game you’re talking about.  The semi-finals as a Sophomore when he threw 2 ints against Clemson? Cause he still passed for 320 yards in that game with a 65% completion rate, and still only lost by 6 pts. 

Or, are you referring to his other game where he threw 1 int., cause he’s only thrown the 3 total in his college career. 

His comp. pct. has only dipped below 60% three times, and in all of those games OSU won by more than 30 pts, and he still averaged 220 yds and 3 TDs... per (“bad”) game. 

In his first and only appearance so far this year (Junior) he completed 20 out of 21 passes. 

Yeah, I’ll say he’s extremely talented!

I don't care if you throw for 500 yards if you throw numerous Int's in a big game you lose. He also had a near Int in the game that should have been a pick six in his own territory. So yes it was the Clemson game and in that game Lawrence threw for 250 yards 2 TD and 107 yards rushing with another TD and he was Being pressured the entire game. 

Since the sample size of pressure games to non pressure games for Fields is small we don't have much to go on really. Just keep in mind people talked like this about Geno Smith who had a huge arm destroyed teams in college and sh*t the bed in the pros.

Like I said Fields is a great athlete the question is as it is for all QB's what speed can he process the game in the pro's and the same goes for Lawrence. At this stage I have seen Lawrence play under pressure way more than Fields  and its not even close so that's my basis. No matter what its always a crap shoot

• Confused 1

I will keep this simple. 

Ohio. State. Quarterbacks. 

Why in the F do people keep thinking they will be successful in the NFL after the track record they have? We bash USC QBs here in JetNation, but they have 100x better production in the NFL. 

This will not magically change with Justin Fields. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

Lawrence or bust.

And by bust I mean take Ja’Marr Chase and continuing building the offense with a center and RB and the bottom of round 1/top round 2.

When it comes to Fields, I haven’t seen quality zip on sideline throws or deep balls, when I watch him I feel like the throws he should be firing in end up floating and it happens so much it makes me wonder if he’s capable.

Also don’t think he’s as good of an athlete as he gets labeled as, though he is quite strong. Plays with an excellent group around him - better offensive talent than Clemson IMO and we knock Lawrence for that but not Fields. Plus the pressure issues others have addressed.

So I wouldn’t be that excited with him at two. Do think the rebuild requires a new quarterback though. I’d probably try to move down a little and target Zach Wilson, possibly even accumulating picks and moving up from the Seattle pick. Trey Lance is also a strong possibility but I don’t know if I’ll ever be comfortable with him just based on sample size and competition.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

I mean, if Lawrence is gone, then I think taking a shot on Fields is worth the gamble.

But I sure as hell don’t agree with the people who say that he’s on par with Lawrence. It’s almost like how people started to dupe themselves into believing that RGIII was on the same level as Luck.

No question that Fields is talented, but there is something about Ohio State QB’s to give cause for pause. I never bought into the negative stereotype of USC QB’s either. But after Leinart, Sanchez, Barkley and now Darnold? Maybe there’s something to it.

All I know is this, stay the hell away from Trey Lance. If we find ourselves in a position where neither Lawrence or Fields are available, then just build the hell out of the rest of the team, support Darnold to the best of your capabilities, and then if need be, draft a QB another year or two down the road.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bull said:

Let me know your thoughts if you would be happy with Fields?  Everyone is so infatuated with Lawrence but the better odds are we have a shot at drafting Fields since anything can happen in the last half of the season....cough....2019.  

Fields is the obvious consolation prize the Jets will get when spurned by Lawrence.

Jets Fans will convince themselves that he too is "generational" with "elite skills" just like they did with Darnold.

Round and round we go.

Being totally transparent .... I need to watch some comparative tape on the top 3.:I dont think I am alone on saying all I truly know about these guys is box scores, articles and a couple games.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

I have been going along with the heard here on Lawrence because all of you have been using the "generational talent" moniker when he is discussed and you don't pass on that when you have the chance to get it. If it comes down to Fields who nobody has said is a generational talent, I trade the the pick for more picks. We are not a QB away from being a good team and if we turn that pick into another 2022 first and second and a 2021 second, I think that will do a Hell of a lot more than anything Fields will do on this team. We can draft a QB next season. We can go another season with Sam. There is no reason to sacrifice a haul of draft picks that will fix the OL once and for all, get another WR and RB, and get some legit CB on this team. If we get all that, we will have a competitive team with Sam on it. That is of course if CJ fires Gase. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Being totally transparent .... I need to watch some comparative tape on the top 3.:I dont think I am alone on saying all I truly know about these guys is box scores, articles and a couple games.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

I know next to nothing about Lance. And unless you live in some place like Fargo, I doubt hardly anyone does.

Still, I’m not risking it on a guy with 17 career starts for a Division II powerhouse that makes every QB look good that has played for them over the last decade.

With Wentz it was different. He had traits that immediately jumped off the screen just in the limited handful of times that I watched him.

I haven’t seen that with Lance in an admittedly small sample size.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

This is always the laziest argument. So what about Texas Tech QBs all sucked until Mahomes came along? Or Wisconsin QBs until Russ showed up. What about the mantra to never draft a Miami of Ohio QB. Oh wait Big Ben is from there  

The difference is that each of those guys were a gigantic outlier for their programs. 

Justin Fields is Dwayne Haskins is JT Barrett is Terrelle Pryor is Cardale Jones (credit @Untouchablefor the reminder on CJ lol) 

• Confused 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, JTJet said:

The difference is that each of those guys were a gigantic outlier for their programs. 

Justin Fields is Dwayne Haskins is JT Barrett is Terrelle Pryor. 

Don’t forget Cardale Jones, who many were chalking up as a potential #1 overall pick.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

The game I saw him under the most pressure in he did not play well at all. Sure he's going to put up gaudy college numbers, they all do, does he have what it takes when under pressure does he constantly face a rush where you have to get the ball out in under 3 seconds ? 

When comparing the 2 QB's Fields and Lawrence I have seen Lawrence play under pressure much more than Fields. Since that's all we have to go on I give the edge to Lawrence. In the game they went head to head Fields made some poor decisions and it all comes down to decisions in the NFL. 

Both guys are extremely talented but we have all seen where talent gets you in the NFL . 

You liking Lawrence really sells me on Fields.

• Haha 2

The not so hot take. I'll take a fifteen year head coach instead of Lawrence. We ruined Sanchez and Darnold. Why ruin another prospect? If we can have both Lawrence and a fifteen year head coach, that would be cool too. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Lith said:

I like Fields. I prefer Lawrence, but I would have no issue with Fields as the second pick.  He has a big arm, he is accurate, throws well down the field and has a very quick easy release.  He woudl be able to come in immediately and run some zone read concepts and make plays with his legs as well as his arm.

Both guys have put up huge numbers against overmatched defenses where they have all day in the picket and huge windows they are not going to see regularly in the NFL.  Fields did struggle at times last year, but still, in 6 games against ranked teams, he completed 68% of his passes and threw 14 TDs to 3 picks.  Get him into camp with a real NFL HC/OC/QB coach, and i think he can be a top NFL QB. 

If we don't add some pieces around him and upgrade the OL, &/or we still have Gase/Loggains running the show, then f**k it, because we will be in trouble no matter who we draft.

Can you point me to a clip of Fields’ big arm benefitting him not on downfield throws? He’s a solid deep passer but all of his short to intermediate stuff I see float and I’m not sure how that’ll play at the pro level.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Like 1

If we end up with the 2nd pick (missing out on Lawrence) if we have the right coach who believes in Darnold, I think you trade down and get the extra picks.

Build a roster and a system around Sam. But I wouldn’t mind Fields at all. He has a lot of Russel Wilson in his game. Accurate, moves well, good arm, strong, can run it but definitely not his first option.

• Post of the Week 1

Terrific time to scout him today, Ohio St plays Penn St at 7:30
on ABC

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, derp said:

Can you point me to a clip of Fields’ big arm benefitting him not on downfield throws? He’s a solid deep passer but all of his short to intermediate stuff I see float and I’m not sure how that’ll play at the pro level.

No, I can't.  Thses are my impessions of him from watching his games, not studying tape. Plenty of time for that from Jan - Apr.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

I will keep this simple. 

Ohio. State. Quarterbacks. 

Why in the F do people keep thinking they will be successful in the NFL after the track record they have? We bash USC QBs here in JetNation, but they have 100x better production in the NFL. 

This will not magically change with Justin Fields. 

What exactly are you basing that on? They're running a totally different offense under Ryan Day than they ran with guys like Terrelle Pryor or JT Barrett.

Haskins is really the only comparison.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, derp said:

I thought the same. His game last week (first as a Junior) was night & day different from Sophomore film. Maybe he’s gotten stronger over the offseason.