So let’s talk Fields for a second

Bull

If we have 1.02 I would hope (and expect) a trade down.  And probably a couple more trade-downs after that.  If the team picking 3rd or 4th loves Fields then I'd let them trade a lot to move up 1-2 spots.  Then I'd draft either Sewell or JaMarr Chase.  I'd love to have both those guys but I'd be very happy with either.  Honestly, though, I think Sewell might be a bigger need.  But I'll trust JD's judgment.

And if it doesn't work out quite that way (e.g. if a team drafting 10th loves Fields) then I'd still trade down several times and pass up getting either Sewell or Chase.  We need help all over the place and that's probably the quickest way to fill needs.

11 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

The game I saw him under the most pressure in he did not play well at all. Sure he's going to put up gaudy college numbers, they all do, does he have what it takes when under pressure does he constantly face a rush where you have to get the ball out in under 3 seconds ? 

When comparing the 2 QB's Fields and Lawrence I have seen Lawrence play under pressure much more than Fields. Since that's all we have to go on I give the edge to Lawrence. In the game they went head to head Fields made some poor decisions and it all comes down to decisions in the NFL. 

Both guys are extremely talented but we have all seen where talent gets you in the NFL . 

The case can be made that Fields outplayed Lawrence in the bowl game last year.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bull said:

Let me know your thoughts if you would be happy with Fields?  Everyone is so infatuated with Lawrence but the better odds are we have a shot at drafting Fields since anything can happen in the last half of the season....cough....2019.  

Do you take Fields if you have 1.02 or do you build around Darnold?

Fields reminds me of Russell Wilson, so I would opt for him over Darnold. Players like Fields make it to where you can have an average Oline and get by, whereas some QBs need perfect protection and building all 5 guys on the Oline to be a perfect line is like build a shutdown D, it is very difficult to obtain and then Maintain.

51 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

If you’re going to compare prospects based off one game, compare the one Fields’ game you saw (semifinals vs Clemson, where he lost), to Trevor’s CFP (finals vs LSU, that he lost). 

...and I’m not knocking TL, they’re both excellent prospects. I just think it’s absurd to make a case against drafting someone because YOU only watched their worst game. 

To then compare him to Geno?! That’s low, man. 

Please tell me where I said I only watched one game ??? I watched a lot of videos on both QB's not sure why you even made this statement.

I used the one game as an example of how a QB may handle pressure. If you read my post you would see that.

The reason I compared him to Geno is because the year before Geno came out people were touting him on this very board and claiming how the Jets needed to get him and I believe he threw what 48 TD's and had single digit Int's .... Do you no understand why I made that comparison ?? 

34 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The case can be made that Fields outplayed Lawrence in the bowl game last year.

Unless you're talking about every stat that counted Like you know TD's, not throwing Ints in the face of pressure, and winning..... yeah sure make the case

7 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Fields reminds me of Russell Wilson, so I would opt for him over Darnold.

I don’t see how

Fields is almost 5 inches taller than Wilson, isn’t nearly the athlete and doesn’t possess the arm strength either.

Fields is much more like a Dak Prescott than Russell Wilson.

And I don’t think that’s a knock. If we drafted Fields and he turned out to be Prescott, I’d be thrilled after the dogsh*t we’ve suffered through for most of the last half a century.

11 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

The game I saw him under the most pressure in he did not play well at all. Sure he's going to put up gaudy college numbers, they all do, does he have what it takes when under pressure does he constantly face a rush where you have to get the ball out in under 3 seconds ? 

When comparing the 2 QB's Fields and Lawrence I have seen Lawrence play under pressure much more than Fields. Since that's all we have to go on I give the edge to Lawrence. In the game they went head to head Fields made some poor decisions and it all comes down to decisions in the NFL. 

Both guys are extremely talented but we have all seen where talent gets you in the NFL . 

Worst take ever...

3 turnovers in his career.  So many bad decisions.  I mean, unreal.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I mean, if Lawrence is gone, then I think taking a shot on Fields is worth the gamble.

But I sure as hell don’t agree with the people who say that he’s on par with Lawrence. It’s almost like how people started to dupe themselves into believing that RGIII was on the same level as Luck.

No question that Fields is talented, but there is something about Ohio State QB’s to give cause for pause. I never bought into the negative stereotype of USC QB’s either. But after Leinart, Sanchez, Barkley and now Darnold? Maybe there’s something to it.

All I know is this, stay the hell away from Trey Lance. If we find ourselves in a position where neither Lawrence or Fields are available, then just build the hell out of the rest of the team, support Darnold to the best of your capabilities, and then if need be, draft a QB another year or two down the road.

Why do you say stay away from Lance? He looks to be large, mobile, accurate, takes care of the football (doesn't throw picks.) If we don't get the #1, I'd say trade down from #2 or #3 for more picks and draft Lance while beefing up the roster.  

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Worst take ever...

3 turnovers in his career.  So many bad decisions.  I mean, unreal.

Go defend Geno the same way same stats same skill set. 

Its not the worst take ever JIF ..when it counted Fields lost .... I don't really care what he did vs inferior schools that OSU routinely beats no matter who is playing QB.

I've stated the kid no doubt has talent the question is will that translate to the NFL stop with the outrage we both know its an extremely rare thing for a QB to play at an elite level in the NFL for just a few years no less consistently do so. 

Fact is we don't know what either guy will do in the NFL its all a crap shoot. So when I evaluate a QB Im going to look at the game he was under the most pressure and take it from there. You can look at his inflated stats but that does not show you how this kids processes will work under the pressure of the NFL

10 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Why do you say stay away from Lance? He looks to be large, mobile, accurate, takes care of the football (doesn't throw picks.) If we don't get the #1, I'd say trade down from #2 or #3 for more picks and draft Lance while beefing up the roster.  

Because the kid is going to enter the draft with a grand total of 17 starts under his belt for a Division II powerhouse that has steamrolled the piss out of every team in front of them for the last decade, and done so with multiple different QB’s who all look more than capable in that system.

The difference in talent between NDSU and basically every other team in Div II ball is much more astronomical than teams like Ohio State and Clemson beating up on the Syracuse’s or Nebraska’s of the ACC and Big 10.

I’ve said it before, but I’m not taking a QB in the Top 5 just for the sake of doing so.

If we somehow miss out on Lawrence and Fields, then focus on building up the rest of the offense and finally get a look at what Darnold can do with a competent coach and adequate players at the skill positions.

And if he continues to fall flat on his face, then draft a QB next year. Hell, maybe even a guy like Dak becomes available.

So now the jets might have the top pick and no Lawrence in the draft.  What then? I don’t know much about the college prospects but my first inclination is to trade down but stay in the top 5 and grab oline or  wr or cb or edge.  With the extra pick for trading down I’d draft a qb or maybe not depending on what free agents might be available.  It seems there are quite few lower round qbs doing pretty well.

• WTF? 1

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Because the kid is going to enter the draft with a grand total of 17 starts under his belt for a Division II powerhouse that has steamrolled the piss out of every team in front of them for the last decade, and done so with multiple different QB’s who all look more than capable in that system.

The difference in talent between NDSU and basically every other team in Div II ball is much more astronomical than teams like Ohio State and Clemson beating up on the Syracuse’s or Nebraska’s of the ACC and Big 10.

I’ve said it before, but I’m not taking a QB in the Top 5 just for the sake of doing so.

If we somehow miss out on Lawrence and Fields, then focus on building up the rest of the offense and finally get a look at what Darnold can do with a competent coach and adequate players at the skill positions.

And if he continues to fall flat on his face, then draft a QB next year. Hell, maybe even a guy like Dak becomes available.

So you sit him for a year and start Morgan.  With the haul of draft picks for trading down you can continue building the offense and defense and when he is ready, let him compete with Morgan and best man (should be Lance) gets the job and trade the other for more picks.  Win-Win.  Remember,  KC didn't start Mahomes right away either.  

Just now, JetBlue said:

So you sit him for a year and start Morgan.  With the haul of draft picks for trading down you can continue building the offense and defense and when he is ready, let him compete with Morgan and best man (should be Lance) gets the job and trade the other for more picks.  Win-Win.  Remember,  KC didn't start Mahomes right away either.  

I don’t care for the prospect, despite only being vaguely familiar with him, so I wouldn’t draft him at all.

If I’m Douglas, I’m not just taking what I can get. That’s how goofy teams wind up with the Dewayne Haskins’ and Christian Ponder’s of the world.

Frankly I think the whole discussion is moot anyway because I think there’s at least a 90% chance that we’re winding up with either Lawrence or Fields come April.

But on the off chance that we do miss out on those two, I’d rather grab a gamebreaking wideout like Chase, a RB like Etienne or Harris and another OL in the Top 35-40.

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

So why can’t Fields be the outlier? He was the number 2 recruited QB coming out of high school behind Lawrence. Now he’s the #2 prospect coming out of college behind Lawrence. When he gets to the NFL he’s gonna bust out because of the school he went to?

So what? Darnold was the #1 prospect coming out of college, and we see where that got us.

52 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

@Scott Dierking

*2012 West Virginia Big 12 SR QB 13 369 518 71.2 4205 8.1 9.2 42 6 163.9

Geno Smith

*2019 Ohio State Big Ten SO QB 14 238 354 67.2 3273 9.2 11.2 41 3 181.4

Justin Fields

One could make the argument Geno Had a better year .... I mean if we are going to go down the stat road

No one would argue that Geno Smith was the better QB prospect.  Period

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, JTJet said:

So what? Darnold was the #1 prospect coming out of college, and we see where that got us.

So don't ever draft a QB.  

Just sign FAs or make trades.  

Sam didn't work out.  Move on and try again.  I'll bet the house if they don't think Sam is the guy they draft another QB.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

So don't ever draft a QB.  

Just sign FAs or make trades.  

Sam didn't work out.  Move on and try again.  I'll bet the house if they don't think Sam is the guy they draft another QB.

I will put my life savings on the line that if Trev ends up out of reach, we roll with Sam next year. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I will put my life savings on the line that if Trev ends up out of reach, we roll with Sam next year. 

I wouldn't.  There are those who believe Fields could be the better NFL.  I wouldn't risk that but I have no idea what Douglas thinks of Fields or Sam for that matter.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

@Scott Dierking

Geno Smith

Justin Fields

One could make the argument Geno Had a better year .... I mean if we are going to go down the stat road

4th year Senior vs Sophomore (year 1 in new system)

why are we doing this again?

• Upvote 1

Darnold always had potential to be great with strong coaching around him. He was a turnover machine in college and only started playing QB later in HS, so was not a sure thing. He fumbled 20 times at USC (lost 14) in 27 games and threw 22 INTs. His last year at USC when people expected to see the growth he regressed and fumbled 8 times and threw 13 INTs. That is why he was not the unanimous #1 pick anymore and went 3rd. I believed in Darnold and we failed to put the proper tools around him, but Fields is easily the better prospect. If we end up picking #2, taking Fields is a no brainer. 

8 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I don't care if you throw for 500 yards if you throw numerous Int's in a big game you lose. He also had a near Int in the game that should have been a pick six in his own territory. So yes it was the Clemson game and in that game Lawrence threw for 250 yards 2 TD and 107 yards rushing with another TD and he was Being pressured the entire game. 

Since the sample size of pressure games to non pressure games for Fields is small we don't have much to go on really. Just keep in mind people talked like this about Geno Smith who had a huge arm destroyed teams in college and sh*t the bed in the pros.

Like I said Fields is a great athlete the question is as it is for all QB's what speed can he process the game in the pro's and the same goes for Lawrence. At this stage I have seen Lawrence play under pressure way more than Fields  and its not even close so that's my basis. No matter what its always a crap shoot

Since Fields sample size is small when he's being rushed, I would think that it's unfair to judge him on one game, because that's the type of thing you need to have experience dealing with. The best players get better the more pressure situations they see.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

@Scott Dierking

Geno Smith

Justin Fields

Not sure why your are showing me seasons. I mentioned the Bowl game that they played against each other on a big stage. 

There are myriad reasons I could argue Geno vs Fields seasons, but I wasn’t even going there

31 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Darnold always had potential to be great with strong coaching around him. He was a turnover machine in college and only started playing QB later in HS, so was not a sure thing. He fumbled 20 times at USC (lost 14) in 27 games and threw 22 INTs. His last year at USC when people expected to see the growth he regressed and fumbled 8 times and threw 13 INTs. That is why he was not the unanimous #1 pick anymore and went 3rd. I believed in Darnold and we failed to put the proper tools around him, but Fields is easily the better prospect. If we end up picking #2, taking Fields is a no brainer. 

We got that in spades.

Fields is not the generational talent that Lawrence seems to be, but he is the 2nd best QB in college football and is a higher rated NFL prospect than Darnold was.  If the Jets are ready to move on from Darnold, then picking Fields if he's the best on the board would be a good strategy and something I can live with. If Darnold plays lights out the rest of the way this year, this becomes a tougher choice.  

Go defend Geno the same way same stats same skill set. 

Its not the worst take ever JIF ..when it counted Fields lost .... I don't really care what he did vs inferior schools that OSU routinely beats no matter who is playing QB.

I've stated the kid no doubt has talent the question is will that translate to the NFL stop with the outrage we both know its an extremely rare thing for a QB to play at an elite level in the NFL for just a few years no less consistently do so. 

Fact is we don't know what either guy will do in the NFL its all a crap shoot. So when I evaluate a QB Im going to look at the game he was under the most pressure and take it from there. You can look at his inflated stats but that does not show you how this kids processes will work under the pressure of the NFL

Geno has the same skill set?  You’re clueless 

Trevor lost when it mattered.  They play nobodies too.  Ain’t hating on his trash?

Your entire take on Fields is laughable.  

@Scott Dierking

Geno Smith

Justin Fields

What about the white guys?