Jets - Chiefs Game Thread

Maxman

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Please come back with, "but Keyshawn Johnson said he should stay in school!."

https://www.yardbarker.com/college_football/articles/nfl_exec_would_be_shocked_if_trevor_lawrence_returns_to_clemson_next_season/s1_13132_33222296

Despite his recent comments, NFL executives still believe Lawrence will decide to turn pro after this season, as does Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney. 

"I'd be shocked if he went back [to Clemson]," one NFL executive told ESPN's Adam Schefter. 

"You have a better chance of winning the Boston Marathon than he does of going back to school," another source said.

"Any person in that stratosphere would go, and history tells me he goes out," a third source told ESPN.

Still doesn’t mean he absolutely will play for the Jets.  There’s a precedent he can emulate and if his agent is smart, he’ll invoke it.  The Jets, under this ownership, have proven they can degrade ANY QB.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ausman said:

Still doesn’t mean he absolutely will play for the Jets.  There’s a precedent he can emulate and if his agent is smart, he’ll invoke it.  The Jets, under this ownership, have proven they can degrade ANY QB.

When he hires Tom Condon, then it's time to worry.

There are a few things that must happen going forward for this team.  If the GM had any power on this team it would be 100% mandated.

- Frank Gore should be the 3rd string back from her on in,  Perine and Johsnon need to play and see if they can play or not.

- Joe Flacco should be relegated to 3rd string Morgan or white should be the active backups minimum.

- Chris Herndon should not see another snap with this team.  See if we can get some sucker team to give us a pick at he trade deadline if not he should be inactive and move everyone up a slot.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, ausman said:

Nothing is ever 100pct but many here are acting as if it's 50/50. It's not even close. He is coming out and playing for whoever drafts us and it's a LOCK that whoever drafts him will be coming off a horrible year with horrible supporting cast.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There are a few things that must happen going forward for this team.  If the GM had any power on this team it would be 100% mandated.

- Frank Gore should be the 3rd string back from her on in,  Perine and Johsnon need to play and see if they can play or not.

- Joe Flacco should be relegated to 3rd string Morgan or white should be the active backups minimum.

- Chris Herndon should not see another snap with this team.  See if we can get some sucker team to give us a pick at he trade deadline if not he should be inactive and move everyone up a slot.

I see 0 of those things happening. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Agreed on the Darnold thing.  Sam is just spinning his wheels.  Let him sit and reflect.  Give Morgan a chance.

• Upvote 1

The only good thing I saw today was that we didn't lose by 50 because the Chiefs sat their starters for most of the 4th quarter,

Beyond that, another pathetic performance, especially (as usual) by the worst Offense I have ever had this displeasure of watching play.

Stunning our Owner does nothing seeing this week after week.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ausman said:

Certainly possible.  But if you were he, would you agree to play for the Jets?

Players who are pegged to go number 1 are going to go to a bad team that’s the way it is.  He won’t risk injury and possibly millions of dollars to stay in school.  He will also get major endorsements in NY

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

Darnold is trash because he was play with trash. 

When you best offensive weapon is Frank Gore that is a major problem 

As a guy who thinks Darnold can still be a very good QB I can't say he's trash because he plays with trash.  But the fact that he absolutely is playing with trash, with wide receivers who wouldn't be starting on any other NFL team today, and an OLine whose performance is remarkably little improved from last year makes it very, very difficult to evaluate him right now.

If Tiger Woods tees off and the ball goes 90 yards into the trees we can say he's a bad golfer.  But if he hit that shot during a hurricane and used a hockey stick instead of a golf club how much blame do we put on Tiger?

And forget about the supporting cast on offense or that the Jets were playing the defending Super Bowl champs, but do we think the Jets are getting very good coaching?  In other words, what are the really good things around the QB that make us expect the QB to look good?  Are we surprised that Sam Darnold was only slightly better than Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield today?

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Really?  I don't think so, no previous Jets QB got "major endorsements" simply by being in NY.

NY QB doesn't carry the weight nationally you dream it does.  

Quinnen Williams is in a Tide Commercial with Peyton Manning

54 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Really?  I don't think so, no previous Jets QB got "major endorsements" simply by being in NY.

NY QB doesn't carry the weight nationally you dream it does.  

Yeah where you are doesn't mean much anymore, how you play is all that matters.

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

I disagree...... the coaching is awful

Darnold is NOT the problem...

Just curious. 

You really think this is a good argument? Posting highlights from a career best game (i.e. a statistical outlier?) to defend Darnold's complicity in this mess? 

Couldn't you do the same thing with Geno Smith or Mark Sanchez? Heck, forget about ex Jets. Chad Henne? Marcus Mariota? Etc. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

As a guy who thinks Darnold can still be a very good QB I can't say he's trash because he plays with trash.  But the fact that he absolutely is playing with trash, with wide receivers who wouldn't be starting on any other NFL team today, and an OLine whose performance remarkably little improved from last year makes it very, very difficult to evaluate him right now.

If Tiger Woods tees off and the ball goes 90 yards into the trees we can say he's a bad golfer.  But if he hit that shot during a hurricane and used a hockey stick instead of a golf club how much blame do we put on Tiger?

And forget about the supporting cast on offense or that the Jets were playing the defending Super Bowl champs, but do we think the Jets are getting very good coaching?  In other words, what are the really good things around the QB that make us expect the QB to look good?  Are we surprised that Sam Darnold was only slightly better than Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield today?

I don't disagree with this.

Douglas rolled the dice and went cheap on the OL and it has not worked. He let his best WR walk figuring he would replace him with Mims when he should have been thinking about keeping Anderson, drafting Mims and pairing them with Crowder. Herdon and Griffen have done nothing and the running game has been spotty at best. Add Gase to the mix and you have 0-8.

My issues with Darnold, and this is MHO, is there are way too many guys coming in free on blitzes. He has to be able to recognize it and if you are still going with the play there has to be a hot receiver he needs to get the ball to fast. To me that is something a QB is in 3rd year should be able to do.

Can he succeed somewhere else ? Of course he can. Just isn't going to be here sadly.

40 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

As a guy who thinks Darnold can still be a very good QB I can't say he's trash because he plays with trash.  

It's hard to say whether he is trash or not, but it's easy to say that he hasn't proven he can be a good QB in this league. In year 3, that tends to be fatal, if you will. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He cant throw the long ball he missed open WR's all day long. 

It's over he's done. 

Well then you were watching a different game then I was because I saw one open on a deep ball and Darnold overthrew it. 

So unless you have the All 22 already then I am going to guess you were watching the Ravens game or something

• Upvote 1

Just now, shawn306 said:

Well then you were watching a different game then I was because I saw one open on a deep ball and Darnold overthrew it. 

So unless you have the All 22 already then I am going to guess you were watching the Ravens game or something

That 30 yard pass was a long ball?

Yes he overthrew a lot of WR's today. 

Just now, NamathToCaster said:

Sam Darnold cannot hit the long ball.  Could not get it to Robby Anderson.  At some point all Jets  fans  must realize Sam is not an elite quarterback.

When he does go long he consistently overthrows. He doesn't play with guts and confidence.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

As a guy who thinks Darnold can still be a very good QB I can't say he's trash because he plays with trash.  But the fact that he absolutely is playing with trash, with wide receivers who wouldn't be starting on any other NFL team today, and an OLine whose performance remarkably little improved from last year makes it very, very difficult to evaluate him right now.

I think the past two weeks - while being very polite and "pointing the thumb rather than the finger" as Ray Lucas likes to say Darnold has subtly started calling out some of these issues in his press conferences. Last week he noted the absence of adjustments last week in the 2H.

Today, he was direct that defenses are doing nothing special - they are playing man and daring a Jet receiver to get open and bringing pressure. Our guys cant get open and/or by the time they do Darnold is throwing with pressure or contact or is shell shocked in David Carr mode leaving the pocket before he needs to. 

Even today, I didn't even notice because of how the game is shot, but the Color guy did a good job pointing out that Darnold got taken down on his first three attempts despite getting rid of the ball quickly on all three. It's particularly the pressure up the middle that's challenging us and the interior of that line is really struggling. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

When he does go long he consistently overthrows. He doesn't play with guts and confidence.

He plays like a guy that's pressing because he knows he only gets enough time to allow a route like that to progress far enough to try it once a game... because he is. 

Its not his forte for sure but we definitely don't try them enough to begin with. I hope with Mims we will start to.

• Upvote 1