Jets - Chiefs Game Thread

Maxman

5 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I disagree...... the coaching is awful

Darnold is NOT the problem...

I can't say he's not part of the problem, but I think everyone would agree he's not THE problem right now.  My opinion is that he's good and can be very good, BUT he's not great enough to overcome bad coaching and bad players around him.  Few can do that. Brady comes to mind with the ability to elevate some very average WRs into great ones for a decade.  Darnold isn't that guy.  But could he be something like a Matt Ryan if he had a Julio Jones, a Calvin Ridley, had years of coaching by Shanahan, etc.  Maybe.  In three years the best WRs Sam Darnold has ever played with in the NFL are Jamison Crowder and Robby Anderson.

Man, those highlights really make you wonder how a franchise could possibly do more to not support a young QB.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

It's hard to say whether he is trash or not, but it's easy to say that he hasn't proven he can be a good QB in this league. In year 3, that tends to be fatal, if you will. 

Fair opinion for sure.  He hasn't proved anything and, in fact, he's put up some truly horrid games and some absolutely stellar ones.  I could argue that's part of his problem, the inconsistency.  There's been a bit of a Jeckyll & Hyde to him but as I alluded to above, I think he can be very good because he's shown that....but he's not good enough to overcome all the bad around him.  He doesn't shine as the bright spot on a bad team, but he's far from the worst thing on the field IMO.  Outside of Becton and Crowder he's typically the third best player on the offense now.  But again, he's bit of an enigma.  Case in point....from this point forward last year (after Week 8) Darnold went 13 TDs and 3 INTs, and won 6 games, and had a Rating over 85 in 6 of those games.   And that was on a team we all know was pretty bad last year.  This year he looks worse but when he's not handing off to Frank Gore he's trying to find Braxton Berrios and Jeff Smith in order to keep pace with the Chiefs.  I just don't know if we can expect him to look great in that situation.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Fair opinion for sure.  He hasn't proved anything and, in fact, he's put up some truly horrid games and some absolutely stellar ones. 

This was true before this year, but it's worse than that now. This year, Darnold has
not had anything close to a "stellar" game. He's been consistently somewhere between bad and meh, and mostly bad. 

1st Bills game - bad

49ers game - meh

Colts game - bad

Denver game - meh

2nd Bills game - bad

today - meh 

These are the 27th-32nd starts of his career. Let's be real here. It's over. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I disagree...... the coaching is awful

Darnold is NOT the problem...

I love Sam. I consider myself to be a huge fan of his. He has been put in an impossible situation with the coach that was chosen. Think about this, he was better with Jeremy Bates.

So I agree that he isn't the "problem".  The bigger issue is he hasn't shown that he is the answer. He has shown flashes but that isn't enough.

The Jets are getting closer to the # 1 pick by the week. It was unthinkable not that long ago but this is going to be Sam's last year here. I like his chances but he is going to have to prove it somewhere else unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

But again, he's bit of an enigma.  Case in point....from this point forward last year (after Week 8) Darnold went 13 TDs and 3 INTs, and won 6 games, and had a Rating over 85 in 6 of those games.   And that was on a team we all know was pretty bad last year.  This year he looks worse but when he's not handing off to Frank Gore he's trying to find Braxton Berrios and Jeff Smith in order to keep pace with the Chiefs.  I just don't know if we can expect him to look great in that situation.

He doesn't have to look great, but he has to be a strength of the team and he hasn't been this year. He's not making any plays. He's thrown 3 TDs in 6 starts. He's not even getting to 200 yards now.  He's not the biggest problem, but he's obviously not playing well and is a problem. 

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I’ve been installing new flooring all day. Much better use of a Sunday!

The joke's on you. The Jets still walked all over that new floor and then mopped it up with your face. THERE IS NO ESCAPE.

I was working, but I it turned it on late in the 3rd Q for laughs and yelled, "A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse!" And then I got murdered and died like Richard III. 

Psyche! I said, "HAHAHAHAHA, fck this team!" - and turned it off.

• Haha 1