Darnold decision is easy!

Jetster

51 minutes ago, Jetster said:

It’s not all that crazy to think JD might be able to maneuver a bit & end up with Trevor at #1 if we land it, and Ettiene + Pitts degoending on what we get for Darnold. 
How beautiful would that be to put all that young talent around TL? 
Sigh Thuney & Allen Robinson in free agency. 
Draft Trevor- Ettiene-Pitts & a Center top 4 picks. Go all defense rest of the way. 
Starting offense: Robinson-Mims-Crowder-Pitts- BACKS: Ettiene + Perine. Or Najee Harris + Perine 

Let the fun begin with that group & all our picks on 2022! 

I'd sign up for that  or even substituting Fields for Lawrence with the other pieces you listed. 

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The middle ground is he sucks at being a starting pro QB.  The middleground isn't "he'd be an above average franchise QB if......".  

Lots of QB's suck at football.  It's OK to admit this and move on.  Only about 12 guys on the planet are good at it at any given time, and it's very clear who those guys are, and even more clear who those guys aren't.  

That's certainly an opinion.

18 hours ago, Larz said:

$25,000,000

its a done deal folks 

0% chance the Jets pick up the option 

0% chance his agent takes a cheap deal to stay here 

10% chance someone trades a 3rd for him

Those who think Darnold's going to be available to back up our new shiny QB on a cheap deal are crazy.

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

The decision is easy for the Jets. They have to move on. But I wouldn't write the kid off. He was a much bigger prospect than Tanehill and Gase wasn't able to destroy him.

The thing with Gase and QBs is they have a vaccine. Once Gase gets fired they are better with their next team.

Tannehill showed infinitely more promise before leaving Miami than Darnold ever has. I wouldn't bet on Darnold ever getting close to where Tannehill is now as a player. Darnold's upside is now Andy Dalton, and that's being optimistic since I like him as a person.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

We're 0-8 on the way to 0-16.  After a year we started 1-7.  We're the laughingstock of the NFL.  We have one of the worst offenses in NFL history. 

We're utterly uncompetitive as a Franchise, and we've been that way for years now.

We have every god damn reason to be miserable and to doubt this POS franchise and it's decisions, and frankly I'm sick and tired of sunshine daydreamers pretending we're in some great spot, just the next supposed "generational savior" away from the playoffs and greatness.  And most of you fools are the same exact fools who loudly and annoying proclaimed Darnold the savior just a few years ago.  You're literally always wrong, yet still the loudest homers in the crowd.

There is no Santa Claus.  There is no Easter Bunny.  And there is no such thing as a one-man savior in the NFL.

We can't judge Santa Claus until he gets all pros pulling his sled.

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The middle ground is he sucks at being a starting pro QB.  The middleground isn't "he'd be an above average franchise QB if......".  

Lots of QB's suck at football.  It's OK to admit this and move on.  Only about 12 guys on the planet are good at it at any given time, and it's very clear who those guys are, and even more clear who those guys aren't.  

We are almost to the "Darnold will explode next year on his new team" part of the program. When that doesn't happen -- we'll be onto phase three. The final diehard Darnoids starting a smattering of threads every time he completes a pass as a backup for the rest of his career.

21 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Maybe, but he is really young. I would bet on him having a solid career as he's only 22. Also, it's not true that any team is 3 to 4 years away. If we get the #1 pick - Trevor, with the rest of our picks, a new coach and the money/cap space we'll have we should compete for the division next year. Add Mosely, a top guard, wr and corner in free agency we will be able to fill out the team with our draft picks. It won't take a great team next year to win this division.

It's funny now but by next August this will be the board zeitgeist and anyone who disagrees will be called a "fake fan" or "doomsdayer."

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

Dear lord, some of you are clinically delusional.

Correct.

21 hours ago, JTJet said:

San Darnold will win comeback player of the year within the next 4 years. 

Take it to Vegas. 

Uh, you have to produce before you can "come back."

18 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

This is one of those arguments where you use the most extreme example to prove a point pertaining to actual reality. 

Actually, it's the Darnoids who cite "flickers" and "flashes" to defend their hopes that he's a secret FQB in hiding.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I’ve got a gut feeling that Darnold gets shut down here soon. Maybe this week. The “injured shoulder” will be cited, but it’ll be a strategic move to get that 1st pick. 

Darnold is getting another MRI and a second opinion on the shoulder according to Gase today. I say you're right.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

31 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I’ve got a gut feeling that Darnold gets shut down here soon. Maybe this week. The “injured shoulder” will be cited, but it’ll be a strategic move to get that 1st pick. 

I think the biggest fear if you’re Douglas is that you somehow get the 3rd pick in a 2 qb draft.  What would he do - since darnold clearly is not the answer.  

22 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

We'll see. Perhaps under better circumstances he will not be the worst QB ever to put on a pair of cleats.

Darnold is between Josh Rosen and Mark Sanchez. Roughly on the level of Geno Smith. So not the worst ever, but not good enough in any case.

• Upvote 2

I think it's a big mistake getting rid of Darnold next year unless you keep Gase.

The Jets are going to get the #1 pick in the draft and have a ton of cap space...draft TL, let them compete then trade him by next years deadline if he can't beat out the rookie to start.

52 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

We don't need Darnold to get shut down to ensure the # 1 pick.  But I'm down.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

I think it's a big mistake getting rid of Darnold next year unless you keep Gase.

The Jets are going to get the #1 pick in the draft and have a ton of cap space...draft TL, let them compete then trade him by next years deadline if he can't beat out the rookie to start.

QB value is highest during off season. Too hard to come in and compete mid-season in a new system. We'd be hoping another team trades something without getting much of a live look at Darnold before they have to make a contract decision on him. His value crashes soon after training camps start. He's gone the day after the draft or earlier if we get #1 and negotiate terms with our top pick before the draft.

• Upvote 1

This is dumb....to "tank" for Treavor Lawrence ..... what if this SAVIOR stays in school ala Payton Manning ?

Keep Darnold until the draft and draft Lawrence (IF HE COMES OUT)......then you can either have them battle it out in camp or trade one or the other after you take the pick.  The worst that could happen (ITHINK) we still have Sam and the first pick in the draft!

I haven't even thought about Fields

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Tannehill showed infinitely more promise before leaving Miami than Darnold ever has. I wouldn't bet on Darnold ever getting close to where Tannehill is now as a player. Darnold's upside is now Andy Dalton, and that's being optimistic since I like him as a person.

This is one of the points that people keep missing about the whole "he's gonna blow up like Tannehill" part of the convo.

1) Tannehill had multiple 4000 yard passing seasons before Gase got there. He had a season where he had 2x as many TDs and INTs and a passer rating in the 90s.

2) Tannehill had a passer rating of 90+ with Adam Gase on two separate occasions. 

When has Darnold even sniffed these kinds of numbers? Tannehill was a below average starter. Darnold has been one of the worst QBs in the NFL three years running.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This is one of the points that people keep missing about the whole "he's gonna blow up like Tannehill" part of the convo.

1) Tannehill had multiple 4000 yard passing seasons before Gase got there. He had a season where he had 2x as many TDs and INTs and a passer rating in the 90s.

2) Tannehill had a passer rating of 90+ with Adam Gase on two separate occasions. 

When has Darnold even sniffed these kinds of numbers? Tannehill was a below average starter. Darnold has been one of the worst QBs in the NFL three years running.

preach tina fey GIF by Sisters

• Haha 3

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

PusxlcZdU0-HOzuEagnXhAVtmTX4QawRjGqutNC2

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, jgb said:

Darnold is between Josh Rosen and Mark Sanchez. Roughly on the level of Geno Smith. So not the worst ever, but not good enough in any case.

So one guy who's done NOTHING at all and the other who had the best offensive line in football, the best running game, a top tier defense and Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller and Ladainian Thompson to throw to. Got it.

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

So one guy who's done NOTHING at all and the other who had the best offensive line in football, the best running game, a top tier defense and Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller and Ladainian Thompson to throw to. Got it.

I can see beyond situation and evaluate the player.

All That Magic GIF by Nickelodeon

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I would rather see what Josh Rosen could do than watch another snap of Sam Darnold. 

Mark Sanchez back to back AFC Championship games. 

Josh Rosen was the most obvious 1st round QB bust call in history IMHO. 

I actually called Sanchez as a comp a year or two ago with Darnold -- I thought I was being complementary -- you can imagine the response I received.

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

Josh Rosen was the most obvious 1st round QB bust call in history IMHO. 

I actually called Sanchez as a comp a year or two ago with Darnold -- I thought I was being complementary -- you can imagine the response I received.

I think Johnny Manziel was pretty much up there as well. 

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'd sign up for that  or even substituting Fields for Lawrence with the other pieces you listed. 

That could be a lot like how Dallas got going after Aikmans 1-15 season. Emmitt, Irvin, Witten. 
Be awesome to have a young QB growing up with Mims, Pitts, Najee Harris or Ettiene, with 2 veterans like Crowder & Allen Robinson. 

9 hours ago, jgb said:

Those who think Darnold's going to be available to back up our new shiny QB on a cheap deal are crazy.

We can't judge Santa Claus until he gets all pros pulling his sled.

We are almost to the "Darnold will explode next year on his new team" part of the program. When that doesn't happen -- we'll be onto phase three. The final diehard Darnoids starting a smattering of threads every time he completes a pass as a backup for the rest of his career.

It's funny now but by next August this will be the board zeitgeist and anyone who disagrees will be called a "fake fan" or "doomsdayer."

Correct.

Uh, you have to produce before you can "come back."

Actually, it's the Darnoids who cite "flickers" and "flashes" to defend their hopes that he's a secret FQB in hiding.

You just completely made my point. Tannehill played for several years before Gase. He was terrible under Gase. And he is fine now.

Darnold never had a chance to shine because Gase got him so early in his career.

He will be traded for a 2nd rounder and he will be okay elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

You just completely made my point. Tannehill played for several years before Gase. He was terrible under Gase. And he is fine now.

Darnold never had a chance to shine because Gase got him so early in his career.

He will be traded for a 2nd rounder and he will be okay elsewhere.

If you extrapolate Tannehill’s performance in 2016 under Gase over 11 games (he got injured) to 16, it would’ve been a top 5 QB season in Jets history—we’d be over the moon if Darnold produced at that level in any of his three years. Tannehill definitely got better after Gase, but he wasn’t some stumblebum—which is why I advocated for Macc to sign him after 2018 (in hindsight wouldn’t have worked since we brought in Gase). He started with a much higher floor from which to improve after leaving Gase the Destroyer. For Darnold to reach Tannehill levels, he will have to become the number one poster child in NFL history for late blooming QBs—it will literally be an unprecedented reversal—none of the usual suspect outliers cited here to “prove” Darnold is a franchise QB were as bad for as long as him. Tall order.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I hope so.  Give Morgan a chance and see if he has any skills.  The only drawback is that Morgan may actually win a game.   Sam has been bad this year.