Comparing this team to the 1996 team, this team has not yet quit

Alka

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

We should be very happy we have Adam Gase leading this team to the first overall pick. We simply would not be able to do it without him. Kotite looks like Vince Lombardi compared to this clown. 

It is pretty funny to look at it this way. Gase sucks, but I think the Jets & JD have come to the realization that Sam Darnold actually sucks too. Better to be REALLY BAD like 0-16 instead of the Jets usual 5-11, 6-10, 7-9, 8-8. 
You have to get lucky when these QBs like Trevor Lawrence come out. A good QB prodigy can peak the of good coach. 
Belichicks season is proving you can be a great coach but without someone to pull the trigger your playing out the string. 

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I don't know how to measure when a team quits, but the numbers suggest this team is worse than the 96 team and my eyes agree with the numbers. 

Do you remember when Revis was last on our team?  If you watched the games as I did, "did you not see Revis quit on plays?"   I know I did.  

Sometimes you can tell when a player or players quit.  For me, I see players running to the play on defense, making tackles that many times several players are in on.  When a team quits, you don't see players gang tackling on plays.  

Many offensive players are on 1 year contracts.  If they quit, then not only will the Jets not resign them, they will be out of the NFL.

From my perspective, I just don't see the quit in this team.

Is this team worse than the 96 team; I would say yes and no.

When the team quits, I have no desire to watch.  As long as I feel that they are giving it their all, then I am in.

14 hours ago, Alka said:

The 1996 Jets football team quit on the field, the year that they went 1-15.  That was the toughest part of watching that year, in that it was obvious that players were quitting on the field, and did not give full effort.  

So far this year, I don't yet see any quit in this team, now with 1/2 of the season being over.  What that tells me is that this team still has opportunities to win games, and I think that whether you like it or not, they will have chances to beat 1. Chargers 2. Cleveland 3. Patriots (2nd game they will play) 4. Miami.

It's still possible for this team to quit, but I just don't think it will happen.  Of course, they won't beat all four of those teams, but might win one or two of those games.  

As hard as it is to believe, this team will not get blown out in the last 8 games like they got blown out today.

That '96 season was once the worst season I'd ever seen. If we come within 1 win of that this will be worse. At least in '96 the team wasn't starting the QB who'd supposedly change everything. 

Also as bad as they were, it's easy to forget that the schedule faced had 9 playoff teams on it, plus 4 additional games against teams .500 and better that missed the cut, plus a terribly coached 7-9 Raiders team that lost 2 games in OT and 2 more by 1-2 pts, and only 1 loss was >1 TD. Arizona & NYG were the only weaklings, and the latter had a top 10 D but just no offense with white Geno QB Dave Brown. With that, they were competitive in 10 straight games after that opening day loss. Yeah they still lost 9 of those 10 - because they sucked - but this team is way less competitive.

The only one who sticks out that truly quit was O'Donnell. Wasn't his "injury" something like tripping on the chalk line during pregame warmups or something? He didn't play that game or any other for the rest of the season, after signing the richest contract in football. **** him and his giant ****ing horse teeth. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Alka said:

The 1996 Jets football team quit on the field, the year that they went 1-15.  That was the toughest part of watching that year, in that it was obvious that players were quitting on the field, and did not give full effort.  

So far this year, I don't yet see any quit in this team, now with 1/2 of the season being over.  What that tells me is that this team still has opportunities to win games, and I think that whether you like it or not, they will have chances to beat 1. Chargers 2. Cleveland 3. Patriots (2nd game they will play) 4. Miami.

It's still possible for this team to quit, but I just don't think it will happen.  Of course, they won't beat all four of those teams, but might win one or two of those games.  

As hard as it is to believe, this team will not get blown out in the last 8 games like they got blown out today.

The entire team is on one year contracts. They are all playing for their next team. Film didn't exist to the level that it does today because of social media and public perception.

16 hours ago, Alka said:

Even if we accept your premise, what's your point?  Are you trying to argue that Gase deserves to brought back next year?

25 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

That is correct. They didn’t quit, but they choked a lot. That ‘96 team beats this current incarnation by leaps and bounds in terms of overall talent. Not even close. 

As bad a job as Gase has done he didn't have half the talent that 96 team had.  They had a lot of talent and were held back by a coach who basically quit on them.  Parcells knew what he was walking into, it's why he only planned to coach 2 years here and had to be convinced to come back for year 3(if Hess didn't die in not sure he comes back).

15 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

If they haven't quit then what do you call what they are doing on the field playing competitive football. 

They cant even score a TD. 

What opportunities did you see today?

Everything after "if they haven't quit" is correct but has nothing to do with watching a team that's quit playing.

Up to now they're still playing hard.  They're out manned, lack talent and are out coached.  It's not hard to get why they can't win or compete.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Everything after "if they haven't quit" is correct but has nothing to do with watching a team that's quit playing.

Up to now they're still playing hard.  They're out manned, lack talent and are out coached.  It's not hard to get why they can't win or compete.  

Bottom line 0-8 worst team in the NFL. 

Call it whatever you want. 

much as it's quant to compare losing teams at the end of the day these teams are what there records say they are.  imo the 96 team had more talent so it was easier to make the jump to winning the next season even with odonnell at qb.  i dont think the same can be said of this jets team.  this is not to say the players lack talent (i'm pretty sure there is talent that's just not used very well) but right now it just isnt very visible.

18 hours ago, Alka said:

The 1996 Jets were outscored by 175 points on the season.

Thru 8 games, the 2020 Jets have been outscored by 144 points.