Should Jets turn to Michigan's Jim Harbaugh as answer at HC?

Should the NY Jets hire Jim Harbaugh has HC  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NY Jets hire Jim Harbaugh as HC

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I think this is where there is a big difference between coaching in college and in the NFL.  I remember being at Clemson spring practice during Trevors freshman year.  My old roommate and I were talking to Jeff Scott the Clemson OC at the time, and we were talking about how programs “develop” these QBs when they get on campus.  Scott said that you can’t really “develop” these kids with long term goals in mind, it’s much more about getting them game ready and comfortable with the playbook and with specific week to week game plans.  They simply don’t have the time to get into overhauling mechanics or changing motions.   The goal is to win games at the college level and to not necessarily develop them to be NFL QBs.  There is a much more short term approach, where in the NFL you can take a somewhat longer term approach.   

Having been to a mess of college camps with my son, everyone at these camps knows who the star players are, probably from the time they are sophomores in high school. There's much less molding of clay and kids coming out of nowhere to wow everyone. There are some late bloomers, but that's pretty rare. In part because kids play one sport only from about 12. Most high school coaches tell kids you're playing this one sport and that's it. Level of specialization; one of his friends is on a college baseball team on scholarship . As a lefty pitcher he hasn't batted in a game since freshman year of high school.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Having been to a mess of college camps with my son, everyone at these camps knows who the star players are, probably from the time they are sophomores in high school. There's much less molding of clay and kids coming out of nowhere to wow everyone. There are some late bloomers, but that's pretty rare. In part because kids play one sport only from about 12. Most high school coaches tell kids you're playing this one sport and that's it. Level of specialization; one of his friends is on a college baseball team on scholarship . As a lefty pitcher he hasn't batted in a game since freshman year of high school.

I think that’s a lot of hogwash. The fact is there isn’t a huge difference between Penn State and Michigan’s 4 stars and Purdue and Indiana’s three stars. 

Sure there may be a handful of kids who are can’t miss, but the vast majority aren’t. Scholarship limits, transfer portal, and TV exposure has really leveled the playing field in college football. 

On 11/2/2020 at 11:30 AM, jgb said:

It is feeling like the Jets need a Parcells-moment to get out of this garbage. A culture changer and leader. A pumped up coordinator could be that guy but Harbaugh was that guy. Harbaugh also gets your some instant street cred with FAs. Yes, yes build through the draft but the Jets are a bottom-3 destination for players to re-sign or sign here, when they have other options.

Fixed.  Parcells didnt have a perceived stint of failure on his resume before coming here.  He came from the SB to the Jets with a rep of being able to fix franchises.  He'd come in with more juice than a coordinator but I wonder if he adds that much more than a Campbell for example.  Im all in on Harbaugh if hes willing to work under a GM and doesnt think he deserves full org control, because he doesnt at this point

• Sympathy 1

On 11/11/2020 at 10:30 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Why would JD want to play second fiddle to Adam Gase, but not to Jim Harbaugh?

Because let's me honest here. JD sucked off Adam Gase as a way to make Gase "happy" because ever since day 1 of arrival JD has been Gase's little do-boy because if not? If JD wasn't playing second fiddle to Adam Gase? Well then Frank Gore (Adam's BOY) wouldn't be here as Jet today @ damn near 40 years old and absolutely useless. 

This is pure nonsense, even for you

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Fixed.  Parcells didnt have a perceived stint of failure on his resume before coming here.  He came from the SB to the Jets with a rep of being able to fix franchises.  He'd come in with more juice than a coordinator but I wonder if he adds that much more than a Campbell for example.  Im all in on Harbaugh if hes willing to work under a GM and doesnt think he deserves full org control, because he doesnt at this point

I'll take "done it before" over "never done it but we hope he will," especially when Johnsholes are involved in the selection process.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

I'll take "done it before" over "never done it but we hope he will," especially when Johnsholes are involved in the selection process.

I get that and why I'm in on Harbaugh.  I just wonder if all the time away from the NFL and his lack of success at M has diminished the attractiveness of having him as your HC.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I get that and why I'm in on Harbaugh.  I just wonder if all the time away from the NFL and his lack of success at M has diminished the attractiveness of having him as your HC.  

No. Harbaugh is a weirdo. No surprise he can't recruit. But in NFL it's about money and winning. He's proven he can get results at this level.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, GreekJet said:

I think that’s a lot of hogwash. The fact is there isn’t a huge difference between Penn State and Michigan’s 4 stars and Purdue and Indiana’s three stars. 

Sure there may be a handful of kids who are can’t miss, but the vast majority aren’t. Scholarship limits, transfer portal, and TV exposure has really leveled the playing field in college football. 

Not sure we disagree, simply kids get marked for where they're headed pretty early. What I saw; everyone knew who the stars were, immediately, especially at skill positions and LB/edge. There may be a lot of guesswork to fill out your roster, but especially when it comes to OL and front 7, they're looking for size and speed. Put it this way; one of my son's HS coaches was "Lineman of the Year", but he was on the same team as Oday Aboushi. Aboushi was 6'5" as a junior; teams pretty much ignored the "LOY" 6'1" player, who wound up at D3, while Aboushi had his pick, and wound up at Virginia. There's a kid at Villanova my son(like his coach, capped out at 6'2") abused repeatedly in high school, but he was big, simply hadn't grown into his body. My son is playing D2(if there's a spring season) the guy has grown into his body, and is now touted to get drafted. 

Michigan is still a very academically difficult school. Harbaugh can cut so many corners before that starts to be an issue. And if he's competing with Ohio State (less rigorous) or an SEC school,he's going to lose out. Penn State and ND are similar profiles so it should be better. Based on this season though, may be he's resigned to it not working out. 

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

If HS coaches in your area are telling kids that they should be fired.  

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

No. Harbaugh is a weirdo. No surprise he can't recruit. But in NFL it's about money and winning. He's proven he can get results at this level.

I'm pretty sure this is 100% correct but just not as sure as it was when he went off on SF and left 

If he is what he was, if hes ok with a GM over him, hes the perfect, no brainer choice to bring in to lead the Jets

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm pretty sure this is 100% correct but just not as sure as it was when he went off on SF and left 

If he is what he was, if hes ok with a GM over him, hes the perfect, no brainer choice to bring in to lead the Jets

Don't get the purity tests. Like once a guy is subpar once, that's it he's garbage. Let's also not forget that Michigan hasn't been a premier college FB program in almost a generation (I should know, I was a student there last time we scared anyone).

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Not what anyone is telling you, what you see and experience. Kids get slotted in the 1 on 1 drills pretty much immediately. 

Im talking about your statement about HS coaches telling kids they should focus on one sport.  If any coach is telling your son or any other HS kid that you should tell them politely to f*** off because they don't have the kids best interest in mind.

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Im talking about your statement about HS coaches telling kids they should focus on one sport.  If any coach is telling your son or any other HS kid that you should tell them politely to f*** off because they don't have the kids best interest in mind.

Reminds me of my 1st year of high school football.  Our class had some really terrific athletes and our football team was going to be really good.  At least 6 or 7 of them were also good hockey players and they all pulled out of the football team to only play hockey, the seasons did not even over lap.  None of them made it big time in hockey and our football team was like 1-6.  losing every game by a few points.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Don't get the purity tests. Like once a guy is subpar once, that's it he's garbage. Let's also not forget that Michigan hasn't been a premier college FB program in almost a generation (I should know, I was a student there last time we scared anyone).

Youre not getting what I'm saying.  Im not questioning his coaching ability, especially in the NFL with someone else responsible for getting the talent etc.  I'm saying that his time away from the NFL with years of being out of the "successful HC talk" may have diminished some of his draw today vs 2014

36 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre not getting what I'm saying.  Im not questioning his coaching ability, especially in the NFL with someone else responsible for getting the talent etc.  I'm saying that his time away from the NFL with years of being out of the "successful HC talk" may have diminished some of his draw today vs 2014

Good. Cause if he wants to come back to NFL and has options, he ain't coming here. Tempted to go plant a bag of coke in his car and call the crime hotline.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

In the northeast anyway kids stay in one sport after freshman year. Even girls get told to pick one. Kids play one sport year round. My son played lax freshman and then again senior once football was over. Kids who play travel hockey or AAU hoops, some don't even play for their school team when there's a conflict. Jim Brown being All American in football and lax would not happen today. 

19 minutes ago, Bugg said:

In the northeast anyway kids stay in one sport after freshman year. Even girls get told to pick one. Kids play one sport year round. My son played lax freshman and then again senior once football was over. Kids who play travel hockey or AAU hoops, some don't even play for their school team when there's a conflict. Jim Brown being All American in football and lax would not happen today. 

Trust me, I understand the concept.  It's been studied ad nauseum.  Specialization in sports HS level or younger, is detrimental.  For various reasons.  Most D1 athletes are not single sport HS athletes.  It increases burn out and injuries. There is nothing good about it.  If you asked 100 D1 coaches across multiple sports if they would discourage single sport participation in HS, nearly all of them would say yes.

I don't understand what Jim Brown being a multiple sport star in college has to do with some uninformed gas bag coach telling a 15 year old HS freshman they should focus on one sport.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Trust me, I understand the concept.  It's been studied ad nauseum.  Specialization in sports HS level or younger, is detrimental.  For various reasons.  Most D1 athletes are not single sport HS athletes.  It increases burn out and injuries. There is nothing good about it.  If you asked 100 D1 coaches across multiple sports if they would discourage single sport participation in HS, nearly all of them would say yes.

I don't understand what Jim Brown being a multiple sport star in college has to do with some uninformed gas bag coach telling a 15 year old HS freshman they should focus on one sport.

Has to do with a talent like Jim Brown would today be told to make a choice. In fairness know of two instances where talented athletes wanted to play a 2nd sport, and the coach of the 2nd sport recommended against it. In each case left the decision to the kid, and each kid eventually agreed. Other problem is if your kid goes to any academic HS worth a damn high school kids do not have a load of free time. Burnout could also be playing 2 sports, along with training, working out and carrying a course load is not easy, and some down time is not a bad thing. And with training, no sport really has down time any more. There's only so many hours. There has to be a balance between school, sports and being a teenager. And also the one coach I know of most adamant about "1 sport only" is something of a dick, but he also has a shelf of city titles and a mess of alumni who went on to play his sport professionally. 

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Has to do with a talent like Jim Brown would today be told to make a choice. In fairness know of two instances where talented athletes wanted to play a 2nd sport, and the coach of the 2nd sport recommended against it. In each case left the decision to the kid, and each kid eventually agreed. Other problem is if your kid goes to any academic HS worth a damn high school kids do not have a load of free time. Burnout could also be playing 2 sports, along with training, working out and carrying a course load is not easy, and some down time is not a bad thing. And with training, no sport really has down time any more. There's only so many hours. There has to be a balance between school, sports and being a teenager. 

Not by a coach that gives a sh*t about Jim Brown he wouldn't.  

There are hundreds of studies that say otherwise, but yeah, you've presented a pretty intriguing argument.

And let's be real.  This is just a much the parents decision as anyone.  Lots of parents think little johnny will be on the fast track to a power 5 conference if he just focuses on one sport.  In reality, most of little johnny's aren't even remotely close to being good enough and never will be.  And the ones that are good enough don't benefit from it.  This specialization farce is mainly from HS and AAU coaches who are more about themselves then their kids.  Specialization helps their program, it doesn't help the kid.

Enjoy your afternoon.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Not sure we disagree, simply kids get marked for where they're headed pretty early. What I saw; everyone knew who the stars were, immediately, especially at skill positions and LB/edge. There may be a lot of guesswork to fill out your roster, but especially when it comes to OL and front 7, they're looking for size and speed. Put it this way; one of my son's HS coaches was "Lineman of the Year", but he was on the same team as Oday Aboushi. Aboushi was 6'5" as a junior; teams pretty much ignored the "LOY" 6'1" player, who wound up at D3, while Aboushi had his pick, and wound up at Virginia. There's a kid at Villanova my son(like his coach, capped out at 6'2") abused repeatedly in high school, but he was big, simply hadn't grown into his body. My son is playing D2(if there's a spring season) the guy has grown into his body, and is now touted to get drafted. 

Michigan is still a very academically difficult school. Harbaugh can cut so many corners before that starts to be an issue. And if he's competing with Ohio State (less rigorous) or an SEC school,he's going to lose out. Penn State and ND are similar profiles so it should be better. Based on this season though, may be he's resigned to it not working out. 

Harbaugh coached and won at Stanford so the academic constraints shouldn’t be a dealbreaker. Northwestern has had plenty of success in that conference with even more rigorous constraints. 

The issue for Harbaugh is their rival is tOSU who clearly pays players and is a dirty program. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Not by a coach that gives a sh*t about Jim Brown he wouldn't.  

There are hundreds of studies that say otherwise, but yeah, you've presented a pretty intriguing argument.

And let's be real.  This is just a much the parents decision as anyone.  Lots of parents think little johnny will be on the fast track to a power 5 conference if he just focuses on one sport.  In reality, most of little johnny's aren't even remotely close to being good enough and never will be.  And the ones that are good enough don't benefit from it.  This specialization farce is mainly from HS and AAU coaches who are more about themselves then their kids.  Specialization helps their program, it doesn't help the kid.

Enjoy your afternoon.

Yes,  there are some nutball parents. But if you have a brain, by high school it's kind of figured out for you and your kid. You can pull that "my kid should start!" in pee wee and 8th grade, because a coach might simply  not want to be bothered. Literally never saw that. Parents might grumble about coaches, but not about "My kid should play!" . By high school nobody is indulging that nonsense. May be I was lucky as a parent, but I saw practically none of that. 

One time I did see it; in house pee wee hockey, especially Russian parents. They genuinely believe lil'Yuri is the next Ovechkin and should be on ice every shift. And it filtered down to making some of those kids uncoachable. And further at that level, it was laughable. since very few of the kids could skate much less really play beyond learning things. Told by pals who's kids play serious Jr. level hockey that persists well into their teens.  I don't know if it's a cultural thing, or being immigrants, no idea.

• Upvote 1

On 11/15/2020 at 10:56 PM, GreekJet said:

Harbaugh coached and won at Stanford so the academic constraints shouldn’t be a dealbreaker. Northwestern has had plenty of success in that conference with even more rigorous constraints. 

The issue for Harbaugh is their rival is tOSU who clearly pays players and is a dirty program. 

Stanford has a great campus social life and great weather.  Michigan has neither 

And I love you using Harbaugh teaching and developing Andrew Luck as a talking point against him

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 9:16 PM, joewilly12 said:

Should Jets turn to Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh as answer at head coach?

Updated 4:37 PM; Today 4:37 PM 
Jim Harbaugh

The New York Jets could eventually fire head coach Adam Gase with the team now at 0-8 this season. Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh could be a potential candidate if they make a change.AP

Facebook Share
Twitter Share

The Jets dropping to 0-8 on Sunday was predictable. They were heavy underdogs going on the road against the defending Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs.

A 35-9 loss at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City shouldn’t drastically alter the job status of Jets head coach Adam Gase in the short term. But he is still firmly on the hot seat with the Jets now 7-17 through 24 games of Gase’s tenure. In the first halves of Gase’s two seasons, the Jets at 1-15.

If Jets acting owner Christopher Johnson decides to make a coaching change at some point, either during the season or at its conclusion, there are plenty of candidates he could turn to as the next head coach.

One former NFL head coach currently in the college ranks should be on the Jets' radar if they do make a move.

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh, who posted a 44-19-1 record in four seasons with the San Fransisco 49ers, which included a Super Bowl trip in 2013, is currently 1-1 this season at Michigan. He is 48-19 since taking over at Michigan in 2015, but he hasn’t taken the program to a point where it is consistently competing for national championships. There are already rumorsHarbaugh and Michigan could be heading for a divorce.

Harbaugh was reportedly a candidate for the Jets' job when they fired Todd Bowles following the 2018 season, though Johnson said at the time the team wasn’t interested in prying Harbaugh away from the college ranks.

But two years later, with Harbaugh running a great, but not elite, Michigan program and the Jets potentially returning to the head coaching market, both sides could eventually revisit a potential union.

If the Jets end up with the top pick in the 2021 NFL Draft and select Trevor Lawrence, pairing him with Harbaugh could be a quick way to give the franchise the jump start it desperately needs.

Harbaugh keeps losing. Wonder where all the Harbaugh fans are?