NY Jets trade Avery Williamson to the Steelers: MERGED

Scoop24

13 minutes ago, Icer said:

How anyone can look at this trade with a straight face and not think its a win for the Jets is baffling.

It's a tanking season and the player has 8 games before he is out anyway, getting anything in return is a win. Let alone a 5th and carrying over 1.5 mil into next year

if u want to say hey salary dump is good.... ok but the 5th round pick will mean absolutely nothing to Joe D-look what he did to our 4th round pick this year-we picked a qb that will never take the field.

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

53 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Nope trade everyone but the outcome is decided by who is drafted with the pick. 

Williamson is a free agent at the end of the season. 

No, whether the pick becomes a stud or not, t trade was the right move.

Why do you argue the obvious and then tag on "does he even have a plan".  It's pretty obvious what that plan is. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, kmnj said:

if u want to say hey salary dump is good.... ok but the 5th round pick will mean absolutely nothing to Joe D-look what he did to our 4th round pick this year-we picked a qb that will never take the field.

Based on that logic, keeping Williamson or trading him is irrelevant since we have a GM that you think sucks and will only draft busts. So what's the point of any move we make given that view of the Jets? 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Young Jetty said:

He is a good player and 28 years old. We shouldve gotten more than a 5th smh

Except he's not a good player who we weren't keeping and would be gone after the season. 

No one was giving up more for a mediocre at best ILB on a 8 week tryout.  At best

24 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Until you need a backup QB to play.  

Using your logic, when Bledsoe went down with his spleen there wouldn't be a Brady to take over as QB. 

1 hour ago, Young Jetty said:

He is a good player and 28 years old. We shouldve gotten more than a 5th smh

He's a FA after the 2020 season.  No, we shouldn't have.  

Value is the max amount a team is willing to give up.  Not what you hope a player's value to be. 

Just like the Bell situation.  His contract and performance to date made him worth less than a 7th rounder, which ultimately led to his release.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Mosley looked like the real deal in the very limited time he was on the field.  I'd absolutely love to see him play a full 2021 season.

I disagree on Bell though.  I think he got a decent chance here but I believe the Jets saw he lost a step.  He can still be a rotational guy and KC is almost the perfect place for him to be a backup.  But even in the Jets horrible offense he just didn't seem like a fit for the kind of one-cut RB that Gase wants.

I'm glad he didn't torch us today.

I was glad too, but sort of loss tract of that feeling because of the 5 other TDs...but I'm with you along with alot of other fans I think

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Until you need a backup QB to play.  

Using your logic, when Bledsoe went down with his spleen there wouldn't be a Brady to take over as QB. 

We have a backup QB his name is flacco.

And after flacco is cut the next guy will be some other vet.  that is who your backups should be.

You don;t draft a guy and sy we have drafted a backup QB you draft a guy thinking he could start one day.

The morgan pick at this point was terrible, not because we know he is terrible right now but because there were a lot of good position players still on the board at the time.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We have a backup QB his name is flacco.

And after flacco is cut the next guy will be some other vet.  that is who your backups should be.

You don;t draft a guy and sy we have drafted a backup QB you draft a guy thinking he could start one day.

The morgan pick at this point was terrible, not because we know he is terrible right now but because there were a lot of good position players still on the board at the time.

The idea is to develop a backup and have him for at least the length of his rookie deal as opposed to having a Flacco.  Who sucks, hasn't been good for years.  Who is here for a single season.  And then we'll have to find another QB, if there's one to find. Who cost money, the money that could used on a player of the talent level of a 4th round pick. 

You dont only draft a QB to be a starter.  Fans can't get past the immediate gratification .  Would rather draft a 3rd or 4th level WR, a player you can find anywhere, which just about every team has on their roster, a player to replace another player of pretty much equal talent over an insurance policy.  That we're blowing the team up adds to it.  All the whining about some 4th round WR is pointless, they weren't helping us any more than a future backup QB is today.

• Upvote 1

The other side of this, is that by trading away players 8 games before they hit FA, we are getting picks, rather than try to "Lose more FA than you sign" to try to get comp picks.

The Jets essentially have their comp picks, they can sign as many FA as they want they wouldn't be getting any comp picks anyway.

As for the trade, Joe saved money for next year, picked up a late 5th for a player that wasn't going to be here, and it allows more time for younger players to play.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

No, whether the pick becomes a stud or not, t trade was the right move.

Why do you argue the obvious and then tag on "does he even have a plan".  It's pretty obvious what that plan is. 

The trade cannot be measured until we see who we select with the pick and how it works out. 

No argument. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

These trades are as much about the draft pick as about the unloading of guaranteed contract amount.

The Jets now have $1.75mm more to spend next year. 

1.75 Williamson

1.00 McLendon

0.60 Willis

0.70 Bell

----------

$4MM 

It's not any one of them; its that they add up one on top of another. This is the stuff you look at when you decide, "Oh, this player is only worth $9MM but if he's $13MM then JD should tell him gfy," and realize that these transactions in a lost season make it cap-neutral. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Dcat said:

Williamson was going to be a FA and wasn't staying here anyway.  Why the heck would we wsnt him around the next 8 weeks and get nothing when we could get a late round pick.   I'd rather have the late round pick than avery on an 8-week rental.  

Point noted. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, kmnj said:

Jesus H....I mean, holy crap.....WTF....I mean, REALLY?