Prospective 2021 HC's

KRL

41 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

KRL, I appreciate your posts, and I think you're the best Jets "beat writer" we have. 

That said, I take huge issue with your comment on Lincoln Riley. It simply is not possible to be an "offensive genius" who "has no clue on defense". You have to understand what a defense is trying to do to you to be considered an offensive mastermind. 

Ok I'll rephrase it, Riley hasn't shown the ability to create a sound defensive scheme at OK 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

Is Jim Caldwell someone we should consider?  Experienced, BAL connection (was their OC), a winner.  I thought he got run out of Det a bit too quickly.  Curious what some others think of him as a candidate?

I'm not a Roman or Dabol guy.  I think both are mediocre.  Harbaugh has the strong personality we need to break the SOJ crap that seems to follow this team around.  The others I don't know much about but always concerned about college guys getting first HC jobs.

I've suggested Jim Caldwell, criminally underrated in this league and he's proven he can overcome the filth of a sh*tty organization like the Jets with his success in Detroit.  He made the playoffs, twice!  Going with the Lions 36-27 in Detroit is truly impressive. 

I think attracting a top notch HC prospect is wishful thinking and ultimately seriously afraid this all for nothing and Gase is coming back.  As I've said before, this is not a team that looks like the HC/GM arent on the same page.  They seem to be working hand in hand.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

The same fear we had that let Matt Rhule walk outta here. Brady was lights out at LSU and is winning games without the only weapon they have in Carolina on the IR. I’m sure we’ll find a way to screw it up though 

I felt more comfortable with Rhule though because he was a HC who could pull staff to the NFL. Brady doesn't have that same situation. I really like him though, he's in my top 3 for HCs we could realistically land

• Sympathy 1

Thanks once again KRL.

I wouldn't go near Harbaugh.  I just don't think he can be a long term pro coach.

It's not easy for college coaches to translate what they do to the pro level.  A larger measure of college success is recruiting.  That is largely irrelevant to pro coaching success.  Saban is the obvious example.

I live on the west coast.  Shaw has a lot of good qualities, but I am not sold on him as a pro HC.  He's developed some great players and he is particularly strong with the OL.  But I just have some doubts.

The Jets need a major "culture" facelift.  I think that's hard for a college coach.  I think the Jets should hire out of the pro ranks.

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Get the f*ck outta here 

1st Year Head Coaching Records

Tom Landry 0-11-1

Bill Belichick 6-10

Bill Parcells 3-12

Andy Reed 5-11

Freddie Kitchens 6-10

Freddy Kitchens 1st year record is right up there with the greats. I think his personality and physique fits this organization perfectly. I can truly see him leading gang green next year

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

Is Jim Caldwell someone we should consider?  Experienced, BAL connection (was their OC), a winner.  I thought he got run out of Det a bit too quickly.  Curious what some others think of him as a candidate?

I'm not a Roman or Dabol guy.  I think both are mediocre.  Harbaugh has the strong personality we need to break the SOJ crap that seems to follow this team around.  The others I don't know much about but always concerned about college guys getting first HC jobs.

Hmm  not so much...... now...

Good Coach.. way better than Gase!

If you were going to go Jim Caldwell he should have been brought in here instead of Gase!

Well liked by the players and always got his teams to exceed expectations and as you mentioned look at Detroit Now!!!!! 

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

The 49ers had missed the playoffs for 8 straight years and then he stepped in and immediately turned them into a Super Bowl contender.

While this is factually correct, its important to remember that Harbaugh inherited some very good players:

Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Donte Whitner, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, and two solid O-linemen in Joe Staley and Mike Iupati. 

They were an underachieving team that needed some guidance, somebody to bring it together. Harbaugh did NOT have to do a rebuild, he had the foundations in place when he arrived. 

If i remember correctly, most of his draft picks were busts, but it wouldn't matter because he already had a good roster. 

The Jets have no foundational players. This is a full-fledged rebuild. Not an attractive proposition. 

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am sure Michigan fans will be glad to unload Harbaugh on the Jets. 

One teams trash, another teams treasure... College where 2 loses can take u out of a national championship.... Vs. the pro's 9-7 can get u a shot at the Super Bowl... He's done nothing but win, he turned around the 49ers who were as almost as sucky as we are today, not quite as sucky, because we suck at a new level ...

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I've suggested Jim Caldwell, criminally underrated in this league and he's proven he can overcome the filth of a sh*tty organization like the Jets with his success in Detroit.  He made the playoffs, twice!  Going with the Lions 36-27 in Detroit is truly impressive. 

I think attracting a top notch HC prospect is wishful thinking and ultimately seriously afraid this all for nothing and Gase is coming back.  As I've said before, this is not a team that looks like the HC/GM arent on the same page.  They seem to be working hand in hand.

What is amazing is the Jets will keep Gase and then act surprised that Lawence is NOT getting better under Gase's coaching and it will be another 3 years before they move on...

They will say ll the right things like they wanted to have stability and so on   and they will do what they have done since Al Groh, not have an ORGANIZATIONAL PLAN, mix and match, force coordinators on HCs thereby scaring away quality coaches,  leading to disrupting cohesion and destroying organizational integrity... 

It is what they do...

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Other than Harbugh I like the list.

Harbaugh seems to be too old school and his success in Sf is years ago.

His michgan teams also failed to win their most important games over the years.

I'm with you, he's old school.  Developing a young passer, in a passing league?  Who knows, Kaeps best season was 3300 yards.  He wan under 60% guy, 20 TDs.  I'm not seeing the TL connection or Fields for that matter

25 minutes ago, Maxta_p said:

1st Year Head Coaching Records

Tom Landry 0-11-1

Bill Belichick 6-10

Bill Parcells 3-12

Andy Reed 5-11

Freddie Kitchens 6-10

Freddy Kitchens 1st year record is right up there with the greats. I think his personality and physique fits this organization perfectly. I can truly see him leading gang green next year

Using this logic we should just keep Gase.

Which Bills troll are you? 

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Here's my list right now I'm sure it will change.  I have four from college and two
from the pros:

David Shaw (Stanford) - is he finally ready to move to the next level?  He coached/
developed Andrew Luck and kept a tough academic school in the top 20 for years.  He
coached in BAL in 2002-2005 so there's a connection with Douglas, Alexander and Savage
in the front office

#INTERESTED

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Jim Harbaugh (Michigan) - even though he has disappointed at Michigan (according to some)
his record is still 48-19.  In the pros at SF he was a beast and went 44-19 with a SB
appearance and two NFC championship games in four years.  Harbaugh resurrected Alex Smith's
career after he was considered a bust and was the only one to get production out of
Colin Kaepernick.  Since Douglas, Alexander and Savage have a relationship with his brother
John do they have a connection with him?

#Feel like he may be sail us out of the storm and get ship manned and motivated.... but that may be his ceiling

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma) - hands down a brilliant offensive mind with no clue on the defensive
side of the ball.  That wouldn't stop me from going after him IF he's willing to hire a "gray
head" DC like Wade Phillips to help him create an actual NFL defense

#Maybe - he's been riding the wings of pre-developed talent... but I guess that's everyone in the NFL

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Arthur Smith (TEN OC) - credit to the fans who have brought up his name.  He is a former
college OLineman (similar background to Douglas) and stresses a physical run game to open
up the play action pass:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Smith_(American_football_coach)
https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/rushing/table/rushing/sort/rushingYardsPerGame/dir/desc

Smith has taken an average QB in Tannehill and made him effective.  And with a defensive HC
(Vrable) in charge of the team you know Smith is totally responsible for the entire offense

Brian Daboll (BUF OC) - former Jet QB coach under Mangini.  Excellent job in creating an offense
around Allen who is physically talented, but is still erratic, inaccurate and puts the ball on the
ground way too much.  He also works for a defensive HC (McDermott) so you know he also is
in total control of the offense:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Daboll

#NOPE....... I'm good on the hiring OCs and DCs front... Resume must include HC experience for this gig.

• Upvote 1

The Dilemma - Unless Jim Harbaugh is walking through the door at One Jets Drive or Jason Garrett (dark horse candidate) gets the job, it will be a first time NFL HC. So, what is more valuable experience for an NFL HC? Being a HC in college or being an assistant coach in the NFL?

David Shaw is the only candidate that checks both boxes. It doesn't mean he's the best candidate, it just means he is the only one of the other candidates who can say he has experience as the Head Man and experience in the NFL. In my book there are only two types of hires: One's with experience and one's that learn on the fly. While I love Matt Campbell, his lack of NFL experience is a question mark. So, unless Harbaugh is leaving Michigan or Garrett becomes a candidate, the most "qualified" is David Shaw (but once again that doesn't mean he will be the best).

As to Daboll, let's not forget his run as OC in Cleveland, Miami and KC from 2009-2012. His 4 year run on 3 different teams was so "good" that no one was willing to give him another shot at being an OC until 6 years later in 2018.

18 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

While this is factually correct, its important to remember that Harbaugh inherited some very good players:

Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Donte Whitner, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, and two solid O-linemen in Joe Staley and Mike Iupati.

And we've already got Gore for Harbaugh!

It's kismet, you guys!

21 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

The Jets have no foundational players. This is a full-fledged rebuild. Not an attractive proposition. 

What are you talking about?

We've got Frank Gore, you silly bean!

• Haha 1

Marquise Brown unloads on Ravens offense amid Lamar Jackson struggles

Marquise Brown — who’s nicknamed after his hometown of Hollywood, Fla. — saw a season-low two targets in the Ravens’ 28-24 loss to the Steelers on Sunday and took to Twitter to voice his frustration.

“What’s the point of having souljas when you never use them (Never!!),” the 2019 first-round pick wrote in a since-deleted tweet that was screenshot by multiple users on social media.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/02/marquise-brown-complains-about-targets-after-ravens-loss/

Reflection on Greg Roman?

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I felt more comfortable with Rhule though because he was a HC who could pull staff to the NFL. Brady doesn't have that same situation. I really like him though, he's in my top 3 for HCs we could realistically land

I'm not sure why that would be. Rhule spent 1 season as a NYG assistant Oline coach.  While he does have more coaching experience(years) at the college level , they were at Albright, Western Carolina and Temple before moving on to a power 5 school Baylor.

In comparison Brady has less of a college resume but two of his stops were at Penn St and LSU both major college powerhouses.   He also spent two years with the Saints under Sean Payton.

I think Brady wouldn't have an issue putting together an NFL staff and I think his offensive schemes and strategies are what the Jets need going forward. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The Dilemma - Unless Jim Harbaugh is walking through the door at One Jets Drive or Jason Garrett (dark horse candidate) gets the job, it will be a first time NFL HC. So, what is more valuable experience for an NFL HC? Being a HC in college or being an assistant coach in the NFL?

David Shaw is the only candidate that checks both boxes. It doesn't mean he's the best candidate, it just means he is the only one of the other candidates who can say he has experience as the Head Man and experience in the NFL. In my book there are only two types of hires: One's with experience and one's that learn on the fly. While I love Matt Campbell, his lack of NFL experience is a question mark. So, unless Harbaugh is leaving Michigan or Garrett becomes a candidate, the most "qualified" is David Shaw (but once again that doesn't mean he will be the best).

As to Daboll, let's not forget his run as OC in Cleveland, Miami and KC from 2009-2012. His 4 year run on 3 different teams was so "good" that no one was willing to give him another shot at being an OC until 6 years later in 2018.

Daboll is 45 so when he got his first OC shot in 2009 he was 34/35, which is very young. Isn’t it at all possible that he got better at his job as he got older?

In addition to what he’s done in Buffalo what I like the most about Daboll is that he spent a year under Saban at Alabama who is a great person to learn from and also gave him exposure to the college game/offenses. Adding that year to his time with BB in New England and he has seen first hand how to properly run a team. 

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Daboll is 45 so when he got his first OC shot in 2009 he was 34/35, which is very young. Isn’t it at all possible that he got better at his job as he got older?

In addition to what he’s done in Buffalo what I like the most about Daboll is that he spent a year under Saban at Alabama who is a great person to learn from and also gave him exposure to the college game/offenses. Adding that year to his time with BB in New England and he has seen first hand how to properly run a team. 

Saban!? That’s who “groomed” Adam Gase!

8 hours ago, Young Jetty said:

I just want a leader. I dont care about offensive or defensive prowess, we can get top coordinators for that. After years of stoic coaches let get back to the coach that will have players wanting to run through a wall.

Gimme Harbaugh

Everything you said, but Harbaugh....   NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO...

I want to stick with JD for at least 2 more years to see where this is going. I think his 1st draft is going to pan out. I'd love to know what type of HC he would be interested in, if CJ & WJ get rid of Gase.

5 hours ago, LockeJET said:

Secure # 1 overall and more candidates will appear. Plenty of coaches will want to attach their career to Sunshine. 

THIS x1000. The importance of us landing the #1 pick is far greater than any other team. We are viewed as a toxic team with the worst roster, garbage ownership, and a starved fan base with little patience.

The #1 pick isn’t important just because of who we would be drafting, but the coaches that will line to coach him. For all the job openings this offseason we go from last or second to last...to the most sought after job in the league.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

Not as a head coach. He coached scared the two chances he had as head coach. Also, he has health issues and had to quit Miami when he was their OC or QB coach last year.

I’d love him as a QB coach though, if he would be interested.

9 hours ago, LSJF said:

Jim Harbaugh, hands down... 

He has worked with and developed QBs.

I don't know if he will stay with the job for more than 3-4 years. 

I do have faith in his ability to put together a solid NFL Coaching Staff, I don't know if the others can do that.

• Upvote 1

Jim Harbaugh would be perfect, grooming  Lawerence / Fields / or Darnold.

His brother has worked with JD, so there’s a connection/relationship there.

He’s big on OL and running game to compliment the passing game, which aligns with JoeD.

Obsessed psycho who wants to not only win but rub your face in it, not some passive, marble mouthed weakling. Perfect for NY.

J&J love him and will let him and JoeD run the football ops and back off. Give the man a blank check.

He resurrected Alex Smith, Almost won a Super Bowl with Kapernick, developed Luck in college.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, KRL said:

Here's my list right now I'm sure it will change.  I have four from college and two
from the pros:

David Shaw (Stanford) - is he finally ready to move to the next level?  He coached/
developed Andrew Luck and kept a tough academic school in the top 20 for years.  He
coached in BAL in 2002-2005 so there's a connection with Douglas, Alexander and Savage
in the front office

Jim Harbaugh (Michigan) - even though he has disappointed at Michigan (according to some)
his record is still 48-19.  In the pros at SF he was a beast and went 44-19 with a SB
appearance and two NFC championship games in four years.  Harbaugh resurrected Alex Smith's
career after he was considered a bust and was the only one to get production out of
Colin Kaepernick.  Since Douglas, Alexander and Savage have a relationship with his brother
John do they have a connection with him?

Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma) - hands down a brilliant offensive mind with no clue on the defensive
side of the ball.  That wouldn't stop me from going after him IF he's willing to hire a "gray
head" DC like Wade Phillips to help him create an actual NFL defense

Matt Campbell (Iowa St) - solid program builder at mid-level colleges, Toledo (35-15) and
Iowa St (30-27).  What impressed me with him was his ability to frustrate and beat Oklahoma
when Mayfield was there 

Arthur Smith (TEN OC) - credit to the fans who have brought up his name.  He is a former
college OLineman (similar background to Douglas) and stresses a physical run game to open
up the play action pass:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Smith_(American_football_coach)
https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/rushing/table/rushing/sort/rushingYardsPerGame/dir/desc

Smith has taken an average QB in Tannehill and made him effective.  And with a defensive HC
(Vrable) in charge of the team you know Smith is totally responsible for the entire offense

Brian Daboll (BUF OC) - former Jet QB coach under Mangini.  Excellent job in creating an offense
around Allen who is physically talented, but is still erratic, inaccurate and puts the ball on the
ground way too much.  He also works for a defensive HC (McDermott) so you know he also is
in total control of the offense:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Daboll

Good list. All of these guys have good success and experience either as a coordinator or running a successful college program.  I don’t know much about the college guys but I’d lean towards daboll mainly because he knows what it’s like in ny.