Prospective 2021 HC's

KRL

18 hours ago, jmat321 said:

The Johnsons have been trying to hire Harbaugh for years now.  They had their chance when they interviewed him when he was at Stanford (wound up hiring Rex).  

The Johnson's have given off the illusion they want Harbaugh. Harbaugh has completely sh*t the bed at Michigan, but if you want a Tier 1 type of coach you have to pay. The Johnson's dont pay established coaches.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, freestater said:

I need to learn more about Arthur Smith. Could the Jets' salvation be *gulp* the ground n' pound?

Probably in the minority but I have no beef with the ground and pound, as long as they mix in some play actions and take some shots down the field throughout the course of the game 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The Johnson's have given off the illusion they want Harbaugh. Harbaugh has completely sh*t the bed at Michigan, but if you want a Tier 1 type of coach you have to pay. The Johnson's dont pay established coaches.

The Johnsons aren’t smart or ballsy enough to make a hard push for Harbaugh 

• Upvote 1

I'm extremely conflicted on Harbaugh. I think he'd be a great HC and a great influence on Lawrence/Fields & Darnold, but his offenses are stale as hell. I'd need him to bring in a legit OC like Arthur Smith or Joe Brady (neither of which are realistic of course, but the idea is to get an OC who's focus is (a) QB development, (b) crafting his offense to the players abilities).

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, win4ever said:

I'm all in on Riley as the option.  He runs the Air Raid, but he's shown himself to adapt to his QB really well on the run.  It's a offense based league, and really geared towards systems that can spread defenses out.  

He's not leaving Oklahoma.

Complete long shot but I'd keep an eye on Sean Payton, the Saints may be at an inflection point with Brees looking old coupled with their salary cap issues they could be in for a rebuild which could open up the opportunity to possibly pry him away from New Orleans.  Yes, I know why would he want to go the Jets but if we end up with the opportunity to draft TL, a ton of cap space and draft capital it could be an intriguing option for Payton.  As for the Jets, if there was even the slightest chance I would hope they would open up the checkbook.

On 11/2/2020 at 1:04 PM, predator_05 said:

While this is factually correct, its important to remember that Harbaugh inherited some very good players:

Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Donte Whitner, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree, and two solid O-linemen in Joe Staley and Mike Iupati. 

They were an underachieving team that needed some guidance, somebody to bring it together. Harbaugh did NOT have to do a rebuild, he had the foundations in place when he arrived. 

If i remember correctly, most of his draft picks were busts, but it wouldn't matter because he already had a good roster. 

The Jets have no foundational players. This is a full-fledged rebuild. Not an attractive proposition. 

I think this roster sucks, but that's probably an overstatement. There are players here who were fine until they got here, plus Becton who (injury aside) is Darnold/Gase-proof.

Pre-JH, Staley was just ok and couldn't stay on the field; Bowman was a nothing backup 3rd round rookie in 2010; Crabtree was overhyped & wasn't much or electric outside his first 2 seasons under JH; Gore was a RB who used to get injured every season and was the same age as "old" 27yo Le'veon Bell.  Ray McDonald, Ahmad Brooks & Tarrell Brown were just backups for years; Goldson hadn't developed into the dirty+good player he became; There were a couple key pickups on the OL and the secondary, including Whitner you mentioned, who wasn't on the team in 2010. Never mind the 180-degree change from Alex Smith. Yeah he was there, but at the end of 2010 he was hardly seen as an asset capable of QBing a team to a 13-3 season the following year.

Coaching can and does have a huge impact on the performance of the same players. No, he's not going to come in here and make Wesco a 1st team all pro TE, but at the close of the 2010 season no one saw that in Bowman's immediate future either. 

I'm not saying he's the best choice. Nor that this roster is equally as good as the one he walked into, but it's surely got more potential than it's shown with the bad coaching, QBing, and injuries. And he couldn't be any worse than what we've got. I do worry about FO clashes; in SF his personality didn't scream "plays well with others" if he doesn't get his way, but he's also several years older now & I don't watch Michigan games so what do I know.

Plus the team tried reaching out to him a couple years ago and he wanted no part of the job. So there's that, too.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think this roster sucks, but that's probably an overstatement. There are players here who were fine until they got here, plus Becton who (injury aside) is Darnold/Gase-proof.

Pre-JH, Staley was just ok and couldn't stay on the field; Bowman was a nothing backup 3rd round rookie in 2010; Crabtree was overhyped & wasn't much or electric outside his first 2 seasons under JH; Gore was a RB who used to get injured every season and was the same age as "old" 27yo Le'veon Bell.  Ray McDonald, Ahmad Brooks & Tarrell Brown were just backups for years; Goldson hadn't developed into the dirty+good player he became; There were a couple key pickups on the OL and the secondary, including Whitner you mentioned, who wasn't on the team in 2010. Never mind the 180-degree change from Alex Smith. Yeah he was there, but at the end of 2010 he was hardly seen as an asset capable of QBing a team to a 13-3 season the following year.

Coaching can and does have a huge impact on the performance of the same players. No, he's not going to come in here and make Wesco a 1st team all pro TE, but at the close of the 2010 season no one saw that in Bowman's immediate future either. 

I'm not saying he's the best choice. Nor that this roster is equally as good as the one he walked into, but it's surely got more potential than it's shown with the bad coaching, QBing, and injuries. And he couldn't be any worse than what we've got. I do worry about FO clashes; in SF his personality didn't scream "plays well with others" if he doesn't get his way, but he's also several years older now & I don't watch Michigan games so what do I know.

Plus the team tried reaching out to him a couple years ago and he wanted no part of the job. So there's that, too.

Those are good points. Harbaugh certainly got the best out of that underachieving roster, and this is why his tenure can be remembered as a success.

My one and only criticism of him is regarding his failure to rebuild the team as it got older. His draft picks were terrible, he failed to upgrade a number of positions, and relied heavily on the group he inherited. I'm not a 49er fan, I can't say for certain whether he's deserving of all the blame; maybe there were disagreements with the front office. But if we give him credit for the successes, then it's only fair to blame him for the failures. 

It's reasonable to conclude that he was set up for success in San Fran - a more attractive proposition - in a way that he won't be in New York.  I'm probably a bit harsh in my assessment of the Jets' roster, but if i'm being nicer, then i can say the team has some [kind of] foundational pieces in Williams, Becton, Mims, Davis, possibly Mosley if he's back. Along with several 'good' draft picks. 

And unlike other prospective coaches, he's had the experience of successfully rehabilitating a weak first round QB in Alex Smith. That's a big point in his favor. The 'Darnold challenge' wouldn't be new to him. 

A team like the Jets - coming out of a horrible decade - is more likely to cede control over football operations to an 'autocratic' coach. I don't see too many issues emerging here. 

Whether any of this actually appeals to Harbaugh is the real question. College is definitely the easier gig, and he's not had a good time of it at Michigan. At this moment, he might not be prepared for the job...

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The roster stinks but it is fixable in one offseason.  

• Upvote 2

On 11/2/2020 at 1:25 PM, Sonny Werblin said:

So, what is more valuable experience for an NFL HC? Being a HC in college or being an assistant coach in the NFL?

Think theres no hard proven rule here.  Different for each person.  You see successes and failures from each.  Its just not as easy and one trumps the other.  And thats what makes this such a crap shoot, on one hand you have a McVay on the other you have a Jimmy Johnson

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Bring Roman in as the HC, add a #1 WR in FA (Robinson, Godwin, Will Fuller or Smith-Shuster), Vet RB (Mike Davis or James Connor) a TE like Hunter Henry and perhaps a Center like Skuda (Ravens).

Draft Lawrence or Fields, WR, OL, TE, WR, OL with the first 6 picks. Let D & ST split the remaining 4 picks

10 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Shaw would be amazing but I don't think he's ever leaving that job...

Same with Campbell and Riley...

Campbell is the one everyone thinks is most likely to make the move to the NFL

I'd be very interested in him, hes proven that he can build a program.  More than once 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Complete long shot but I'd keep an eye on Sean Payton, the Saints may be at an inflection point with Brees looking old coupled with their salary cap issues they could be in for a rebuild which could open up the opportunity to possibly pry him away from New Orleans.  Yes, I know why would he want to go the Jets but if we end up with the opportunity to draft TL, a ton of cap space and draft capital it could be an intriguing option for Payton.  As for the Jets, if there was even the slightest chance I would hope they would open up the checkbook.

less likely to happen than being the meat in this sandwich

... but we can always dream!

brooklyn-decker TMFTFZCTHTYJO7HNN5EUTWQXUM.jpg

kate-upton 25240344-0-image-a-1_1582747941814.jpg

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I agree. It may not be “2021 Super Bowl Season” fixable in 1 offseason, but it’s “2021 Playoffs” fixable, especially with no truly dominant team in the division anymore.

AFCE ceiling had been pretty much WC or nothing for about 20 years; no longer. Yes Buffalo’s on pace for a 12-4 season, but not really; they’re 6-2 because they already played both their Jets matchups/wins. Unfortunately for them, the Jets don’t also appear on Buffalo’s 2nd half schedule again 2 more times.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Bring Roman in as the HC, add a #1 WR in FA (Robinson, Godwin, Will Fuller or Smith-Shuster), Vet RB (Mike Davis or James Connor) a TE like Hunter Henry and perhaps a Center like Skuda (Ravens).

Draft Lawrence or Fields, WR, OL, TE, WR, OL with the first 6 picks. Let D & ST split the remaining 4 picks

Jets are more likely to sign a guy like TY Hilton who can be a very good #2.  I also think Amari Cooper will be available via trade

Draft Kyle Pitts at 27 to be our starting TE next 10 years

A decent coach and Trevor Lawrence will help alot

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I agree. It may not be “2021 Super Bowl Season” fixable in 1 offseason, but it’s “2021 Playoffs” fixable, especially with no truly dominant team in the division anymore.

AFCE ceiling had been pretty much WC or nothing for about 20 years; no longer. Yes Buffalo’s on pace for a 12-4 season, but not really; they’re 6-2 because they already played both their Jets matchups/wins. Unfortunately for them, the Jets don’t also appear on Buffalo’s 2nd half schedule again 2 more times.

We also have a lot of cap room (even though the cap will likely get reduced significantly)

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Jets are more likely to sign a guy like TY Hilton who can be a very good #2.  I also think Amari Cooper will be available via trade

So our #1 WR will be......? Cooper would depend on the pick required. Can’t see JD giving up a 1st and pay $22 million/yr for 4 years left on contract. Dallas will have $6 mil and $2 mil in dead money cap hit the next 2 years also. 

I think Robinson as a FA ON A 2 year deal would be cheaper and equally good without giving a #1 draft pick

58 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Pay WR Robinson whatever he wants for 2 or 3 years. 
Trade down with the Jaguars, they get their precious Lawrence,  and we get everything we can out of them....given that we end up with the 1st overall pick.

1st pick Draft OT Penei Swell or WR Jamar Chase
2nd pick Draft TE Kyle Pitts or C Creed Humphrey

3rd pick Draft WR Cris Olave or G Trey Smith

Then move on to 2nd round where you can find guys like C Josh Myers  CB Paulson Adebo, LB Joseph Ossai.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Philc1 said:

It’s gonna come down to Bienemy or Roman

And that’s IF Gase even gets fired

I agree and odds on fave is Bieniemy. Roman will have options. Bieniemy been been passed over many times and desperate for his shot at big chair — won’t negotiate hard on salary. Jets match made in heaven.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I agree and odds on fave is Bieniemy. Roman will have options. Bieniemy been been passed over many times and desperate for his shot at big chair — won’t negotiate hard on salary. Jets match made in heaven.

I'd have to think the Joe Douglas/Andy Reid coaching tree connection would play a role there, too.  Reid wouldn't tell Bieniemy to avoid the Jets given that Doug Pederson won a Super Bowl with the same org where Douglas was the # 2 guy in the front office.

Doug Pederson (if available) and Bieniemy make a ton of sense.  Roman too, obviously, given the Harbaugh/Ravens connection.  

On 11/5/2020 at 7:52 PM, 32EBoozer said:

So our #1 WR will be......? Cooper would depend on the pick required. Can’t see JD giving up a 1st and pay $22 million/yr for 4 years left on contract. Dallas will have $6 mil and $2 mil in dead money cap hit the next 2 years also. 

I think Robinson as a FA ON A 2 year deal would be cheaper and equally good without giving a #1 draft pick

Two good #2’s you can compete with.  That’s what we did in 2015

On 11/5/2020 at 6:10 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd have to think the Joe Douglas/Andy Reid coaching tree connection would play a role there, too.  Reid wouldn't tell Bieniemy to avoid the Jets given that Doug Pederson won a Super Bowl with the same org where Douglas was the # 2 guy in the front office.

Doug Pederson (if available) and Bieniemy make a ton of sense.  Roman too, obviously, given the Harbaugh/Ravens connection.  

Another under the radar coach that has Douglas/Reid connections would be Duce Staley.  Has no coordinator experience but is the assistant head coach and took over for Pederson for 1 game this year.  Played and coached under Reid, survived both the Reid and Kelly regime changes, very well respected RB coach in the NFL.  Douglas also has a lot of respect for Staley, calling him the best RB coach in the NFL.

• Upvote 2