O.T- Clemens loses his hummer

faba

Updated: March 23, 2005, 3:01 PM ET

Koby Clemens left doors unlockedAssociated Press

HOUSTON -- It took All-Star pitcher Roger Clemens 20 years to rack up 300 wins -- a feat for which his team rewarded him with a brand-new orange Hummer.

On Wednesday, police say, it took thieves just a few minutes to make off with the hulking vehicle after Clemens' son drove it to school and left it unlocked.

School district police issued a statewide all-points bulletin statewide asking people to keep an eye out for the Hummer, which was stolen from Memorial High School at about 8:30 a.m.

"I talked with Roger about it a little," said Chuck Brawner, chief of the Spring Branch Independent School District police. "That Hummer was given to him by the New York Yankees for his 300th win."

Brawner said Clemens, who was at spring training with the Houston Astros in Florida, is offering a $10,000 reward for the vehicle's safe return and information about who took it. The Hummer contained all of Koby Clemens' baseball equipment for the high school team.

Roger Clemens couldn't immediately be reached for comment by The Associated Press on Wednesday.

He began letting Koby Clemens drive the orange Hummer to school after he signed a letter of intent last November to play baseball for the University of Texas, whose colors are burnt orange and white. Before that, Koby drove a black Hummer to school.

Hummers can range from $50,000 to more than $100,000.

"These athletes, they make the money, don't they?" Brawner said.

To leave the vehicle unlocked- brilliant

Police found the vehicle dumped in a Houston parking lot on Wednesday afternoon after officers received a tip, said Spring Branch Independent School District Police Chief Chuck Brawner. No arrests had been made Wednesday night.

The Hummer, which Brawner said was in fine condition when it was found, was stolen from Memorial High School around 8:30 a.m.

Brawner said Clemens, who was at spring training with the Houston Astros in Florida, had offered a $10,000 reward for the vehicle's safe return and information about who took it. The Hummer contained all of Koby Clemens' baseball equipment for the high school team.

It wasn't immediately clear if the tipster would receive the reward.

Roger Clemens couldn't be reached for comment by The Associated Press on Wednesday.

He began letting Koby Clemens drive the orange Hummer to school after he signed a letter of intent last November to play baseball for the University of Texas, whose colors are burnt orange and white. Before that, Koby drove a black Hummer to school.

Hummers can range from $50,000 to more than $100,000.

I guess the person who took the Hummer soon realized a orange Hummer is a little hard to hide in public. I do not know which was dumber -Clemen's son leaving it unlocked or to steal a orange Hummer.

If I am going to shell out 100 grand for a hummer... it better not be a Tom Shane special. ;)

Burnt Orange? I guess if you are getting a humvee you might as well get the most outrageous color going... since they obviously do not garner enough attention on their own.

Also, anybody catch that the son recently started driving the orange hummer instead of his black hummer... How many humvees does one need? I don't care HOW rich you are... how do you let your kid drive not 1 but TWO cars that are worth that much.

Archived