S Desmond King traded from Chargers to Titans for sixth-round pick

Jetsfan80

Just 2 years ago, King was a 1st Team All-Pro, racking up 3 INTs, 10 Pass Deflections and 2 TDs.

Now he's worth a 6th round pick.  I guess that's just how the league views Safeties in 2020.

https://www.nfl.com/news/los-angeles-chargers-db-desmond-king-traded-to-tennessee-titans-for-sixth-round-

Los Angeles Chargers DB Desmond King traded to Tennessee Titans for sixth-round pick

Published: Nov 02, 2020 at 12:59 PM

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000

Nick Shook

Around The NFL Writer

Tennessee is adding much-needed help to the back end of its defense.

The Titans have acquired defensive back Desmond King in a trade with the Los Angeles Chargers, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. Tennessee is sending a sixth-round pick to the Chargers for the former All-Pro defensive back, per Rapoport.

King is in a contract year at 25 years old, helping explain the lesser compensation in the deal, which is essentially a half-season rental for Tennessee. The defensive back's best season came in 2018, when he registered a coverage grade of 90.1, per Pro Football Focus, and landed on the All-Pro team as a first-team defensive back and second-team punt returner.

King had a down year in 2019 -- relative to his standard set in his first two campaigns -- but is trending upward in 2020, making for a good trade candidate in the final year of his rookie deal.

King's addition will provide the Titans with a defender who has allowed an opposing passer rating of 69.1 this season and including a completion percentage that is 15.4 percent below expectation, per Next Gen Stats. King's numbers are better than any defensive back currently on Tennessee's roster, as is his targeted EPA of -8.9 (reminder: negative EPA is better for defenders).

Tennessee is wisely making the move for King in an attempt to improve its passing defense, which currently ranks 27th in the NFL in yards allowed per game. With the Titans ranking 26th in quarterback pressure percentage, Tennessee will need tighter and more reliable coverage if it hopes to get better against the pass. King's arrival should help.

• Upvote 4

That is a steal for the Titans.  King is still a very good slot CB, essentially replaces Ryan in their scheme, I don't think he's a safety.   I think the issue as we saw with Williamson was more towards the end that he was a free agent this year, and the Chargers didn't see him being re-signed.  

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Jamal Adams is actually having the last laugh on all this the NY Jets are 0-8. 

Seattle very well may win a Super Bowl this season. 

Good for him. But this was the right move for the Jets. And I was against an Adams trade -- mostly because I thought the hopes we'd even get one first rounder for him weren't accurate. Never been happier to be wrong!

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Good for him. But this was the right move for the Jets. And I was against an Adams trade -- mostly because I thought the hopes we'd even get one first rounder for him weren't accurate. Never been happier to be wrong!

Yes great deal. 

Time will tell how good of a deal it really is. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes great deal. 

Time will tell how good of a deal it really is. 

See, even if JD whiffs both those picks or trades them and whiffs the new pick(s), it was still a good move. Can't apply retro thinking. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

False. 

Even that wont suppress his ego. He won't have the last laugh until he gets a pay day. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If he whiffs the deal sucked. 

Nah, you make decisions with the information you have at the time. Not later. You know what I believe -- and I am on record for hating Geno -- the best Jets draft pick in years was Geno in the second. Just a year earlier he was being talked about as a possible #1 overall. It was good risk/reward at the time despite him being an epic bust. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

he's having the last laugh because he's getting paid for spending his days in the whirlpool.  he'll be a free agent next season (i'm not sure of this.  does the fifth year option transfer?) and if the seahawks exercise his fifth year option it's going to be a stupidly high number.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He’s not getting any laughs on the Jets with compensation Douglas got in return. He’s not even playing, he’s hurt.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The Seahawks are good, sure, but he's sucked. This will be the trade of the decade. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Nah, you make decisions with the information you have at the time. Not later. You know what I believe -- and I am on record for hating Geno -- the best Jets draft pick in years was Geno in the second. Just a year earlier he was being talked about as a possible #1 overall. It was good risk/reward at the time despite him being an epic bust. 

You have just list ALL credibility. Picking Geno was the stupidest decision this franchise has ever made. The red flags were blazing everywhere and he immediately proved to be an albatross. Anyways, we all make mistakes so you are forgiven. 3 Hail Mary’s. 

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

You have just list ALL credibility. Picking Geno was the stupidest decision this franchise has ever made. The red flags were blazing everywhere and he immediately proved to be an albatross. Anyways, we all make mistakes so you are forgiven. 3 Hail Mary’s. 

If I ever had credibility with the likes of you, I'm glad to lose it!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

he's having the last laugh because he's getting paid for spending his days in the whirlpool.  he'll be a free agent next season (i'm not sure of this.  does the fifth year option transfer?) and if the seahawks exercise his fifth year option it's going to be a stupidly high number.

Cap will probably be falling next year.  Because of this I suspect there will be a lot of cap cuts, lowering the cost of Tags.

Not sure Adams will be geting any where near the $20,000,000 + he was looking for.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

And Jamal is contributing absolutely nothing to that team. lolz

Adams is a good player... at a position that means nothing. Thanks, Macc. And Bowles BTW he's the reason we didn't just sign Mathieu to a FA contract (knocked up his daughter) and Johnson because Reid was a political lightening rod and Woody had political ambitions.

Only this team.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Cap will probably be falling next year.  Because of this I suspect there will be a lot of cap cuts, lowering the cost of Tags.

Not sure Adams will be geting any where near the $20,000,000 + he was looking for.

Adams is a good player but I don’t think he’s much better than the honey badger so why should he get paid more?