Joe Douglas press conference 4:30 today

Rhg1084

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

Gase is here to rebuild the team and it's a multi-year process.

Christopher Johnson knows that to become a franchise like the Steelers or Ravens you have to act like the Steelers or Ravens and they don't flip their head coaches every 2 years.  Nor would they if their rosters were this bad.

And as we're seeing with Bill Belichick, you can be the greatest head coach of all time and be reduced to rubble when you have no players.  It's not about the coach.  It's about the roster.  And what you want from a head coach, Gase provides.  Leadership, team sticking together, team playing hard, not intimidated by the media, hell, he's the perfect coach for a rebuild.  The fancy X's and O's don't matter when you don't have the horses.  If Coach Belichick could speak honestly, he would back me up on this.  Wait.

SAR I

Please don't use Bill Belchick and Adam Gase in the same reference.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Please don't use Bill Belchick and Adam Gase in the same reference.

You're right.  Bill Belichick is far more disappointing this season.  All that experience, all those division titles, all those conference championships, his Hall Of Fame resume, his impeccable halftime adjustments, his masterful defenses, his fabulous offensive coordinator, getting all the calls........and he's headed to 4-12 with an ex-NFL MVP quarterback and a team that was 12-4 a season ago.

He has a hell of a lot more going for him than Adam Gase has been given in New York.  Bill Belichick should be fired.  He's a fraud.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I gave JD such big props to admit that he made an error on RA...

Thank you JD!

JD also said that it's not fair to blame one person, that the entire organization is to blame, and that Adam Gase is going to be a part of the team and his partner in the rebuild. 

Can we get a 'Thank you JD!' for that please?

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 4

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

You're right.  Bill Belichick is far more disappointing this season.  All that experience, all those division titles, all those conference championships, his Hall Of Fame resume, his impeccable halftime adjustments, his masterful defenses, his fabulous offensive coordinator, getting all the calls........and he's headed to 4-12 with an ex-NFL MVP quarterback and a team that was 12-4 a season ago.

He has a hell of a lot more going for him than Adam Gase has been given in New York.  Bill Belichick should be fired.  He's a fraud.

SAR I

That one was good. I admire your persistence.  :)

• Post of the Week 1

This was a very worrisome press conference.

He seemed quite genuine that he thought he was putting a quality team on the field...and even more scary is that he legitimately thought he upgraded the OL and the scariest thing of all that he somehow upgraded the skill positions.

If he honestly believed that then we're in a lot of trouble over the next four years.

note - I still think he knew he was putting out garbage but knew he had to get to a clean slate.

• Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This was a very worrisome press conference.

He seemed quite genuine that he thought he was putting a quality team on the field...and even more scary is that he legitimately thought he upgraded the OL and the scariest thing of all that he somehow upgraded the skill positions.

If he honestly believed that then we're in a lot of trouble over the next four years.

note - I still think he knew he was putting out garbage but knew he had to get to a clean slate.

It wouldn't surprise me if he wanted Sewell at 1.01.

Sewell will be an excellent offensive lineman, he's a sure thing. If you have Becton and Sewell leading a good offensive line, your QB has a better chance.

Darnold has been in and out of the team the last 2 seasons, so it's easy to make the case that he's been 'unlucky'.

I don't agree with this line of thinking; but Douglas has gone on record (on multiple occasions) saying that they need to give Darnold 'a chance'. Darnold might have a longer rope - more credit with the front office - than most of us would imagine. 

A new QB would prolong the rebuilding process, and won't accomplish much unless he's accompanied by a good coach. My gut tells me that Douglas wants to strengthen the team in other areas before he makes any big-time changes. 

17 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he wanted Sewell at 1.01.

Sewell will be an excellent offensive lineman, he's a sure thing. If you have Becton and Sewell leading a good offensive line, your QB has a better chance.

Darnold has been in and out of the team the last 2 seasons, so it's easy to make the case that he's been 'unlucky'.

I don't agree with this line of thinking; but Douglas has gone on record (on multiple occasions) saying that they need to give Darnold 'a chance'. Darnold might have a longer rope - more credit with the front office - than most of us would imagine. 

A new QB would prolong the rebuilding process, and won't accomplish much unless he's accompanied by a good coach. My gut tells me that Douglas wants to strengthen the team in other areas before he makes any big-time changes. 

If you have 1.01 and aren't taking a QB you HAVE to trade out.  The haul you would get for TL would likely be the biggest in the history of the NFL.  But you better damn sure Love Sam if you do that.  

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

If you have 1.01 and aren't taking a QB you HAVE to trade out.  The haul you would get for TL would likely be the biggest in the history of the NFL.  But you better damn sure Love Sam if you do that.  

No way in hell you can do that. 

BUT this is the NY Jets. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No way in hell you can do that. 

BUT this is the NY Jets. 

I agree.  You have to take TL and he will.

I was just quoting another post about taking a T at 1.01.  point is IF you're NOT taking TL - the only thing to do is trade out, no other choice should be considered.

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

JD said everything he was supposed to say. 

Let's see how things play out. 

Adam Gase is our HC, Sam Darnold is our QB....................time will surely tell. 

This is exactly right.

We know that the Jets are thinking about other coaching options next year.  A lot of coaches will not want anything to do with Woody, Chris and Hymie.,  

They can’t tell Gase and the players to tank, but they can trade who they can.  I would also think about putting Darnold on IR to try and preserve his value.  

The Johnsons are not going to eat two years of Gase’s contract without a clear improvement.  It would also be hard to bring a Harbaugh in given the amount of authority given to JD.  I am not seeing a first time HC from a good organization as being a clear improvement over Gase.  

So I think the Jets will watch and wait here.  

But JD did say that their job was to develop players.  For that they need better training.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Somebody would have to LOVE the idea of picking at 1.01 in order for this to happen.

This could be arranged pre-draft, in fact, that would be better for all parties involved.

Alternatively, the Jets could simply pick Trevor Lawrence at 1.01, and then trade him for a haul. That way, they don't have to worry about losing trevor lawrence as trade bait. 

My gut says the front office wants to give Sam another year, and Douglas - being an o-line guy - really wants Sewell. 

Douglas believes that by protecting Darnold, and giving him skillful teammates on the offensive side of the ball, No. 14 can be the quarterback that drives New York back to contention.

"Ultimately I've got to do a better job of putting talent around Sam, and we have to develop some kind of continuity within the offense moving forward," Douglas said.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-gm-joe-douglas-endorses-sam-darnold-quarterback-of-future

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I gave JD such big props to admit that he made an error on RA...

Thank you JD!

Still it was a frustrating answer because it seems they put on value on Robbie which was very high, and decided not to offer that and then he goes and accepts less. Would seem like you would try to negotiate first and then bow out when the price is too high not just bow out.

• Upvote 1

Maybe we win 2 games, Lawrence goes #1, a team right behind us has the hots for Fields (he’s in the mold of successful QBs), Jets still get a haul by trading back, pick Sewell. 
JD is going to have a lot of options & a lot of thinking to do. 

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

JD said everything he was supposed to say. 

Let's see how things play out. 

Adam Gase is our HC, Sam Darnold is our QB....................time will surely tell. 

If Gase remains, JD is not the guy to turn us around. Plain and simple. I am with you though—hoping it is just GM speak much like him talking about Adams, etc. 

20 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

SORE I’s daily rants on behalf of Adam’s Gaze.

B541E471-8ED5-422A-A800-72BC1D82048A.jpeg

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 7:36 PM, SAR I said:

Why is it inconceivable that it is too early to judge Adam Gase, that he's made some great front office moves, and that he might actually be a playoff coach again once the Maccagnan/Idzik roster is rebuilt?

Stop hating.  Start listening.

SAR I

"Too early" to judge Adam Gase. Even his biggest defender can't even say he's a good coach with a straight face.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jgb said:

"Too early" to judge Adam Gase. Even his biggest defender can't even say he's a good coach with a straight face.

You cannot judge the Jets on wins and losses when we are built to lose, have been for the better part of a decade.

What we know is that when he had a good roster that was healthy, Adam Gase had success and made the playoffs.  What we also know is that just like Bill Belichick, Bill O'Brien, Mike McCarthy, Kyle Shannahan, and all the rest of the so-called "good" NFL head coaches, when you have a sh-t roster and some injuries you can't win.

These coaches didn't suddenly lose their abilities.  They suddenly inherited lousy teams.  Adam Gase is a good head coach.  He did a great job last year with the 6-2 finish and he's doing a good job this year keeping the team playing focused and at a high level when so many other o-fer teams have quit and mailed it in.

SAR I

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

You cannot judge the Jets on wins and losses when we are built to lose, have been for the better part of a decade.

What we know is that when he had a good roster that was healthy, Adam Gase had success and made the playoffs.  What we also know is that just like Bill Belichick, Bill O'Brien, Mike McCarthy, Kyle Shannahan, and all the rest of the so-called "good" NFL head coaches, when you have a sh-t roster and some injuries you can't win.

These coaches didn't suddenly lose their abilities.  They suddenly inherited lousy teams.  Adam Gase is a good head coach.  He did a great job last year with the 6-2 finish and he's doing a good job this year keeping the team playing focused and at a high level when so many other o-fer teams have quit and mailed it in.

SAR I

He did a good job with a 6-2 finish last year?!? Give me a break because our season was (already) completely over after his 1-7 start...

The 2020 Jets are now 0-9 for the first time in Franchise history (worse than the 1-15 1996 Jets). 

Adam Gase is the worst head coach in NY Jets history outside of only Rich Kotite and once he goes 0-16 he'll become immediately FIRED (and rightfully so). 

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2020 at 12:57 AM, SAR I said:

JD also said that it's not fair to blame one person, that the entire organization is to blame, and that Adam Gase is going to be a part of the team and his partner in the rebuild. 

Can we get a 'Thank you JD!' for that please?

SAR I

From the bizarro mind and world of SORE I!

555980E3-20AA-404A-8A87-C972E3AAF9EC.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I honestly can't tell if you are serious or not, but it's great writing!

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Go stuff your turkey

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

He did a good job with a 6-2 finish last year?!? Give me a break because our season was (already) completely over after his 1-7 start...

At 1-7 everyone thought we'd finish 3-13.  To win 6 of our last 8 games was quite an accomplishment with a team so beat up, injured, and hopeless.

The 2020 Jets are now 0-9 for the first time in Franchise history (worse than the 1-15 1996 Jets). 

So what?  This team has less talent than the 1996 squad.  You shouldn't expect them to win games.  Compound that with ridiculous injuries and you've got a terrible season.  It happens.  We are making it happen.  That's what a complete rebuild looks like.

Adam Gase is the worst head coach in NY Jets history outside of only Rich Kotite and once he goes 0-16 he'll become immediately FIRED (and rightfully so). 

Adam Gase is partnered with his owner and his GM and is executing the fastest rebuild in team history.  In order to rebuild quickly you must tear it down quickly.  The pandemic and no paying fans for two seasons allows the franchise to do this.  Gase is not getting fired.  Some coordinators are, though.  Other than those necessary changes, Gase and Douglas get a mulligan.  Their focus is the rebuild, not the record.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1