Let's Stir The Pot ...

KRL

After reviewing the numbers of SEA offense and the development of DK
Metcalf, would you be willing to give Brian Schottenheimer an interview?
Here's their rundown:

#3 in Total Offense with 414 yards a game
https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/total

#12 in Rushing with 125 yards a game and a 5 yard per carry average
https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/rushing

#3 in Passing with 289 yards a game and a 8.4 yard per throw average
https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/passing

I know Schotty has Wilson but that production is hard to ignore.  And
with Carroll being the HC you know he's totally responsible for the
offense.  I'm putting him on my candidate list

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

No. 

He's just another Gase. Placeholder coach. 

John Schneider, Pete carroll and Russell the love muscle are pulling the strings over there. 

Among well known assistants, I'd rather hire Josh McDaniels. Not a fan of him, but at least he has the experience of being a head coach, and he knows the division extremely well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The thought has crossed my mind also. He was hated by the fans during his time here but he was well respected in the building and was interviewed for the HC job back then I believe. I think he will be in the HC interview circle this year around the league.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

While it is probable that Schotty has learned in the 10 years since he has been here, I always question a guy with a mediocre record until he is paired with probably the most skilled squad in the NFL.

I agree but I think the Jets are going to be blackballed by the league. Woody always loved Schotty and I can totally see Schotty as head coach with Rex as DC. This organization needs to be the underdog castoff team that surprises everyone. We have already been written off and I can see this tandem energizing the fan base.

This is ONLY if we truly can’t attract a decent head coaching candidate and I honestly don’t think we will be able to. 

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

While it is probable that Schotty has learned in the 10 years since he has been here, I always question a guy with a mediocre record until he is paired with probably the most skilled squad in the NFL.

Exactly.  Look at Pom-Pom Pete who was dog waste with us and NE as HC.  Miraculously, he does well with a future first ballot HOFer in Wilson and previously arguably the greatest defense in NFL history.  Us?  We have nothing of note on either side of the ball.  Coming here, Shoddy (sic) will just continue to be Shoddy, a bad HC.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

It's about players, get a GM who can find good ones. The incremental value of a good vs avg coach isnt that meaningful. 

Game management is a needle mover. Not a huge mover, but in close games can be a difference maker.

And the ability to make in game adjustments to what the other team is showing. Any one can create a game plan. The best can quickly adjust on the fly.

While much of what you said is true, but those 2 aspects cannot be ignored

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Game management is a needle mover. Not a huge mover, but in close games can be a difference maker.

And the ability to make in game adjustments to what the other team is showing. Any one can create a game plan. The best can quickly adjust on the fly.

While much of what you said is true, but those 2 aspects cannot be ignored

Sure, I acknowledged that there is incremental value but it's small between most coaches .. players tuning out a coach like we have here is massive obviously, but switch Gase and Schitt back in June still has Seatlle competing for SB and Jets competing for #1

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

No. 

He's just another Gase. Placeholder coach. 

John Schneider, Pete carroll and Russell the love muscle are pulling the strings over there. 

Among well known assistants, I'd rather hire Josh McDaniels. Not a fan of him, but at least he has the experience of being a head coach, and he knows the division extremely well. 

Talk about a placeholder. How's that back staber doing w/out Brady? After what he did to the Colts, doubt he gets an interview with anybody but the Pats. Avoid this douche.

• Upvote 2

Exactly.  Look at Pom-Pom Pete who was dog waste with us and NE as HC.  Miraculously, he does well with a future first ballot HOFer in Wilson and previously arguably the greatest defense in NFL history.  Us?  We have nothing of note on either side of the ball.  Coming here, Shoddy (sic) will just continue to be Shoddy, a bad HC.

He took them to the SB with Matt Hasselbeck don’t forget.

EDIT: I was wrong, that was Holmgren.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, KRL said:

After reviewing the numbers of SEA offense and the development of DK
Metcalf, would you be willing to give Brian Schottenheimer an interview?
Here's their rundown:

#3 in Total Offense with 414 yards a game
https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/total

#12 in Rushing with 125 yards a game and a 5 yard per carry average
https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/rushing

#3 in Passing with 289 yards a game and a 8.4 yard per throw average
https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/passing

I know Schotty has Wilson but that production is hard to ignore.  And
with Carroll being the HC you know he's totally responsible for the
offense.  I'm putting him on my candidate list

Statistically a candidate. Realistically, a hard sell to the season ticket holders

37 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree but I think the Jets are going to be blackballed by the league. Woody always loved Schotty and I can totally see Schotty as head coach with Rex as DC. This organization needs to be the underdog castoff team that surprises everyone. We have already been written off and I can see this tandem energizing the fan base.

This is ONLY if we truly can’t attract a decent head coaching candidate and I honestly don’t think we will be able to. 

If Johnsons keep shopping at the dented can bin near the checkout line, you're right.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree and I’d settle for average GM and average coach at this point to just build a .500 team and get us out of this hole. 

That's been the problem imo. mediocrity is where the jets have lived. The good 'ol almost suck lol    6-10, 7-9, 8-8 are all the same to me. Top of the heap outside of the playoffs looking in. 

This year is exactly what we needed for this org to have the actual scenario that can lead to a Colts, Pats or Seahawks type of Turn around. 

Those orgs were in perpetual suck forever. Then Manning, Carrol, Belichick/Brady happened and here we are. It's either a coach or a QB that does it. The Jets need both. We whiffed on Sam which is heart breaking to me but it is what it is.  Getting to the front of the draft line during a year where Peyton Manning type of player is available is paramount to be able to grab the HC we need. JD is byh far the highest quality GM that is coming to the NY Jets Let's finally allow our GM to pick his coach and QB and we have the same shot to bring success to this org as the teams mentioned. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I always thought Schotty would make a better HC than OC.

He has the personality and the ability to look at the big picture.

I can see him getting some looks this year - but I doubt he does with the Jets. Too hard a sell to the fan-base who will demand a top-flight candidate this time around.

I will say that back in the day I saw a lot of the players and coaches up close and personal.

I clearly remember Schottenheimer having a very strong presence as a coach on the field. The same can be said about Westhoff and Parcells.

I can't say the same about the other guys we've had come through here. So you got my vote and I'll say yes but I would definitely give Schottenheimer another interview.

Also I think his offense has opened up a lot more and I don't see as much WCO as when he was here.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I always thought Schotty would make a better HC than OC.
He has the personality and the ability to look at the big picture.
I can see him getting some looks this year - but I doubt he does with the Jets. Too hard a sell to the fan-base who will demand a top-flight candidate this time around.

This, I actually remember arguing that as bad as we thought he was as an OC that I felt he would make a very good HC in NY. He has the leadership qualities that Gase sorely lacks, and he has the personality to deal with the NY media.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

That's been the problem imo. mediocrity is where the jets have lived. The good 'ol almost suck lol    6-10, 7-9, 8-8 are all the same to me. Top of the heap outside of the playoffs looking in. 

This year is exactly what we needed for this org to have the actual scenario that can lead to a Colts, Pats or Seahawks type of Turn around. 

Those orgs were in perpetual suck forever. Then Manning, Carrol, Belichick/Brady happened and here we are. It's either a coach or a QB that does it. The Jets need both. We whiffed on Sam which is heart breaking to me but it is what it is.  Getting to the front of the draft line during a year where Peyton Manning type of player is available is paramount to be able to grab the HC we need. JD is byh far the highest quality GM that is coming to the NY Jets Let's finally allow our GM to pick his coach and QB and we have the same shot to bring success to this org as the teams mentioned. 

I hope for this and would love for this to happen but I see too much negativity towards this organization. I’d settle for 7-9 to 9-7 range within 2 years and an average coach and GM. We are so far from that that we need to get there as a stepping stone first and it is 100% realistic despite our horrible situation.

I honestly don’t see us being a playoff team for a very long time because we will be avoided by coaches and players. I wish that wasn’t true but I’m being as realistic as possible.